As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS2 Phat breaking my controllers?

MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Hello all,

I have sort of a weird problem. I've had my PlayStation 2 since 2003, and it's always been great about playing games and plugging in peripherals, but today I tried to plug in a PS2 controller and it wasn't recognized by the game console. Puzzled, I searched for another controller and plugged that one in, and that controller also was not recognized by the console.

ps2_controller_pinout.jpg
(shamelessly stolen from Google images to make my explanation easier to understand)

On a PS2 controller plug, there are nine pins in three groups along the plug. Looking closely at the controllers, I see the second pin is missing out of the first group, which would account for the console's inability to recognize these controllers.

The thing is, I swear the controllers had these pins in them before I put them in the console. And I'm definitely sure the second controller I plugged in had those pins. So is my PS2 eating my controllers? It still plays games fine and displays on the TV, but is there any way to look inside to see if there is something caught in the port that's breaking these pins off?

sig.gif
MHYoshimitzu on

• Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Its fat cause its eating all your pins!

(Sorry I'm not helping very much....)

donhonk on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Before you start blaming your PS2 for eating your controllers, your very first troubleshooting step is to verify that whether or not the controllers function on another PS2.

If they do, then your controller port block likely went out. If it's the block itself, it's a pretty easy fix, the only issue would be finding a replacement.

I've seen controllers with different pins missing that still function. I suspect it is due to redesigns lumping more than one function into a single wire.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love that photo.

Can't help but thank you for that at least.

Here is a bump.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490