As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BORDERLANDS] The Vault Hunter: Hero or Thrill Killer?

• Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    Stop saying 'addicting' , it's a stupid word!

As for someone mentioning the .ini files having a Max Players setting, there is also one for Max Inventory size which apparently works.

Really? Is it that easy to cheat? In this multiplayer game?

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what are the chances that stores will have a new shipment of the game today? It's a half hour drive each way to find out, so I'm not sure if it's worth making the drive today, or just tough it out and wait until I have to make the drive on Thursday anyways. Anybody who couldn't find it last week able to get it today?

I want this game so bad it hurts :(

If you have fred meyers near you they get shipments on sundays and thursdays.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I decided to sign up to these forums instead of always lurking because of this game and my drive to find people to play with that aren't downy.

Nobody in my wow guild wants to play with me, which probably makes me an even bigger loser then I can possibly imagine on my own

Also: Gamespy can blow me

Keysier on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

As for someone mentioning the .ini files having a Max Players setting, there is also one for Max Inventory size which apparently works.

It just released and you guys already want to cheat? Oh well your game.

I don't have the game, if I mentioned the fact that many people have pirated it would you say "oh hey you want to steal the game, oh well your conscience"?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

There's also a way to dupe items on the xbox that we discovered, I have not done it since we discovered it and no I won't post it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So what are the chances that stores will have a new shipment of the game today? It's a half hour drive each way to find out, so I'm not sure if it's worth making the drive today, or just tough it out and wait until I have to make the drive on Thursday anyways. Anybody who couldn't find it last week able to get it today?

No, relying on Walmart, Superstore, Blockbuster, and Zellers. Living in small town Saskatchewan fucking blows :(

chuck steak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

There's also a way to dupe items on the xbox that we discovered, I have not done it since we discovered it and no I won't post it.

Yeah, but this is like, changing a text file. Unless I'm reading something incorrectly. That's just ridiculous.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah I'm really surprised that this stuff isn't obfuscated. Then again all data is stored locally so duping or file copying is unpreventable.

I did see some people writing it off as the game isn't competitive multiplayer but it's still disappointing.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and I just had my first "holy shit this gun is awesome" moment when I got a sniper rifle that lights people on fire.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited October 2009

No, relying on Walmart, Superstore, Blockbuster, and Zellers. Living in small town Saskatchewan fucking blows :(

Ahh the great up north, well avoid polar krakens and pray for desert shenigans! Can you call them before you go? Most places around me will let you check stock.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Keysier wrote: »
    I decided to sign up to these forums instead of always lurking because of this game and my drive to find people to play with that aren't downy.

Nobody in my wow guild wants to play with me, which probably makes me an even bigger loser then I can possibly imagine on my own

Also: Gamespy can blow me
    Your first post, eh? I suppose you should give a link to your steam id so you can get added to the PA group? And uh after gamespy blows you, I guess some are also posting their gamespy id for easy teaming up? And uh, good luck coming in here right when everyone's all pissed at the pc issues. :D

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wait, I'm just about to go try and play with a friend (over steam) for the first time.

Are there issues?

(going back to read other pages now...)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I must know this! PM me!

I have over 4 million dollars and I want more. I'm also playing singleplayer so its not like I can get one over on anybody. Goddammit! This game... *shakes fist*

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah, but this is like, changing a text file. Unless I'm reading something incorrectly. That's just ridiculous.

Meh I don't think outside of saving information server side you couldn't really stop that right? I'd rather it not have been a design priority to prevent it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Yeah I'm really surprised that this stuff isn't obfuscated. Then again all data is stored locally so duping or file copying is unpreventable.

I did see some people writing it off as the game isn't competitive multiplayer but it's still disappointing.

They never really did indicate they were going to make it cheat free.

Just don't play with pubbies

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah that was posted up on the gearbox forums. It's a really silly exploit and it's common in quite a few xbox games so again it's surprising that they haven't prevented it.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Character and Inventory are saved client side. Expect wacky shit when an item hack hits.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    So how is it on LAN other than client/listen servers?

FingerSlut on
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Ahh the great up north, well avoid polar krakens and pray for desert shenigans! Can you call them before you go? Most places around me will let you check stock.

I've never had any luck getting any information about electronics when calling these places.

God dammit, I think I'm just going to make the trip... I can't remember the last time I wanted a game so badly. I blame you guys for this highly active thread!

chuck steak on
  • Options
    Pajama_ManPajama_Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My only gripes with GameSpy?

I can't use Pajama_Man :(

I have to use Pajama_Man_GS D:

The HORROR! THOSE BASTARDS!

Add me

Pajama_Man on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cool tweaks from cool peroples
    Here's a few tweaks I've come across and found that might help people with 'deconsolizing' Borderlands. I'm going to assume you all know where the location of these INI files are (Usually in USER NAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config in Vista).

To disable the startup movies:
    Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
    [FullScreenMovie]
    StartupMovies=2K_logo
    StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
    StartupMovies=NVidia
    StartupMovies=Loading
    SkippableMovies=2K_logo
    SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
    SkippableMovies=Attract
    SkippableMovies=NVidia

and comment out lines like so:

[FullScreenMovie]
    ;StartupMovies=2K_logo
    ;StartupMovies=Gearbox_logo
    ;StartupMovies=NVidia
    ;StartupMovies=Loading
    ;SkippableMovies=2K_logo
    ;SkippableMovies=Gearbox_logo
    ;SkippableMovies=Attract
    ;SkippableMovies=NVidia

To adjust FOV (Field of View):
    Within WillowInput.ini:
    Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
    Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

You can change the keys (F10 and F11) to whatever you'd like, as well as the FOV values.

To disable/adjust weapon view bob:
    Within WillowGame.ini:
    Search for "bWeaponBob" and you should come across the following lines:

bWeaponBob=TRUE
    Bob=0.005

They should be pretty self explanatory. I can confirm the Bob numerical adjustment does work.

To enable VSync:
    Within WillowEngine.ini:
    Search for "UseVsync" and you should come across the following line:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

To disable voice chat:
    Within WillowEngine.ini:
    Search for "bHasVoiceEnabled" and you should come across the following line:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

Change to FALSE.

To enable console:
    Within WillowInput.ini:
    Search for "ConsoleKey" and you should come across the following line:

ConsoleKey=

Add 'Tilde' after the equal sign to enable the console (should look like ConsoleKey=Tilde)

To disable mouse smoothing:
    Within WillowInput.ini:
    Search for "bEnableMouseSmoothing" and you should come across the following line:

bEnableMouseSmoothing=True

Change to FALSE. Should improve the feel of the mouse when looking around and navigating the UI.

Enable Drop Weapon Key:
    Within WillowInput.ini:
    Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Within that section, search for "ThrowWeapon". By default, it's bound to "Underscore" - I changed mine to V, so it looks like:

Bindings=(Name="V",Command="ThrowWeapon",Control=F alse,Shift=False,Alt=False)

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Yeah that was posted up on the gearbox forums. It's a really silly exploit and it's common in quite a few xbox games so again it's surprising that they haven't prevented it.

It'll probably get patched out.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I rather enjoy the all out war that happens in multi.

IvanIssacs on
  • Options
    ArthArth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am somewhat annoyed. I have been playing Borderlands pretty much 4-5 hours a day since I got it last Tuesday for 360.

My level 33 Brick is now corrupt. I can try to join any game, or load my singleplayer, and as soon as I do, my whole Xbox locks up. Made a new Mordecai and he works fine. But if I load my Brick at all, about 5 seconds after the terrain starts loading around me, the whole damn console locks up. And I had 3 of the vault key pieces too.

Arth on
    Artheleron.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It'll probably get patched out.

Holy crap that's retarded. Seriously. You don't even have to try to do it, that shit can happen completely by accident. o_O

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Meh I don't think outside of saving information server side you couldn't really stop that right? I'd rather it not have been a design priority to prevent it.

They could have at least encrypted it a little. Maybe made it like, a binary file instead of a text file or whatever. A little effort I guess is all I'm asking.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Here's a few tweaks I've come across and found that might help people with 'deconsolizing' Borderlands. I'm going to assume you all know where the location of these INI files are (Usually in USER NAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config in Vista).

Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
    [FullScreenMovie]
    StartupMovies=2K_logo
    StartupMovies=NVidia
    StartupMovies=Loading
    SkippableMovies=2K_logo
    SkippableMovies=Attract
    SkippableMovies=NVidia

[FullScreenMovie]
    ;StartupMovies=2K_logo
    ;StartupMovies=NVidia
    ;StartupMovies=Loading
    ;SkippableMovies=2K_logo
    ;SkippableMovies=Attract
    ;SkippableMovies=NVidia

Within WillowInput.ini:
    Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Below the chunk of bindings, add the following:

You can change the keys (F10 and F11) to whatever you'd like, as well as the FOV values.

Within WillowGame.ini:

bWeaponBob=TRUE
    Bob=0.005

They should be pretty self explanatory. I can confirm the Bob numerical adjustment does work.

To enable VSync:
    Within WillowEngine.ini:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

To disable voice chat:
    Within WillowEngine.ini:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

Change to FALSE.

To enable console:
    Within WillowInput.ini:

ConsoleKey=

Add 'Tilde' after the equal sign to enable the console (should look like ConsoleKey=Tilde)

Within WillowInput.ini:
    Search for "bEnableMouseSmoothing" and you should come across the following line:

Change to FALSE. Should improve the feel of the mouse when looking around and navigating the UI.

Enable Drop Weapon Key:
    Within WillowInput.ini:
    Search for "WillowGame.WillowPlayerInput". Within that section, search for "ThrowWeapon". By default, it's bound to "Underscore" - I changed mine to V, so it looks like:

And you are a totally cool person for person posting this. What exactly does the FOV changes do though?

NebulousQ on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    NebulousQ wrote: »
    And you are a totally cool person for person posting this. What exactly does the FOV changes do though?

Field of view I think.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    NebulousQ wrote: »

Within WillowEngine.ini:

Find:
    [FullScreenMovie]
    StartupMovies=2K_logo
    StartupMovies=NVidia
    StartupMovies=Loading
    SkippableMovies=2K_logo
    SkippableMovies=Attract
    SkippableMovies=NVidia

[FullScreenMovie]
    ;StartupMovies=2K_logo
    ;StartupMovies=NVidia
    ;StartupMovies=Loading
    ;SkippableMovies=2K_logo
    ;SkippableMovies=Attract
    ;SkippableMovies=NVidia

Within WillowInput.ini:

Within WillowGame.ini:

bWeaponBob=TRUE
    Bob=0.005

To enable VSync:
    Within WillowEngine.ini:

UseVsync=False

Change to TRUE.

To disable voice chat:
    Within WillowEngine.ini:

bHasVoiceEnabled=True

Change to FALSE.

To enable console:
    Within WillowInput.ini:

ConsoleKey=

Within WillowInput.ini:

Enable Drop Weapon Key:
    Within WillowInput.ini:

From the default (what is the default, btw?) to 90, it makes things look further away. (As in increasing the field of vision)

Also Quaz, considering this game was modded from UT3, I'm not all that surprised. Consider, UT3 is a multiplayer game with no "rpg"-like elements at all. All the configs can be changed via the ini files. Gearbox comes in and uses it for an FPS/RPG hybrid with client-side saving. You do the math.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Rad so I can't find this willow thing anywhere.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rad so I can't find this willow thing anywhere.

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Documents\My Games\Borderlands\WillowGame\Config

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ughhhhhhhhhhhh if this turns out to be not as good as I thought it would be on friday, I am not going to be a happy camper at all

Senshi on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    not there.

maybe cause i'm decrypting and haven't even run the game yet.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Do a good ol Windows Key + F and search for it that way.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Rak, have you started the game up at all yet?

Senshi on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Glad Gearbox has a real winner here. Only other game of theirs I've played was Band of Brothers. Wasn't too impressed.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    not there.

Have you been in game yet?

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    Do a good ol Windows Key + F and search for it that way.

Ya this.

Im win 7- I hear the inis could be in three other places Dependant on os

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No luck finding a 360 copy yet, this makes me a sad panda.

Garris on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    not there.

Have you been in game yet?

You have to launch the game before it'll make any config files

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2