As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSP...god what's wrong with me...

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm rather shocked at those that say the PSP is too big and bulky to carry around. I regularly wear homo-tight jeans and have never had trouble fitting my PSP inside of it's logitec case in my front pocket. It has actually replaced the two MP3 players I used to own as my primary music device. Griffin gave me at least 60 bucks worth of PSP accessories at E3 last year and I use the iFM to listen to my favorite radio station when I'm not listening to MP3s. And as far as the battery life is concerned; yeah it could be a whole lot better, but to be honest when you really think about it, how often are you going to play more than 4-5 hours in a single day? It has never come up for me. I travel a lot and I've never had the battery run out of juice, I've come dangerously close though, but I always either find an outlet or just recharge at the end of any given day like a cellphone.

Speaking of batteries, I believe a company put out an internal battery that they swore extended the battery life by double or something like that. Was that ever proven or disproven?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My friend got a PSP and sold it two weeks later.
    I was going to get a PSP, but now the games just don't look promising, and worthy of my money.
    I'm gunna get a DS for the new Pokemon games.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've been getting into homebrew as of late.

The SDK only supports about 60% of the PSP's functionality, but even with that, there is some pretty awesome stuff accessable under the hood. The GPU is like a mini OpenGL API, (There is a small OpenGL lib for it, as well). The stuff that's unknown is a lot the the crypto stuff, but it's not really used for homebrew anyway. More and more inroads are being made into the kernel and XMB system itself. We can now add icons on the XMB, change what they look like, and also make our own PRX modules that intagrate into the OS.

This is a far cry from just running some NES emulator.

On the crypto front, there are even homebrewers using the subsystem to authentcate thier own apps so people can't hack them... Don't know where that is going.

So far, the GPS protocol has been hacked and now homebrewers can hook that functionality into thier apps as well.

When I get my hands on one, I would love to make a Blog-anywhere type program for the PSP, where I can update where I am and what I'm doing from anywhere...

halkun on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh hey that is really cool.

I mean people always just say "homebrew" but never mention anything specific that's awesome. Just homebrew homebrew homebrew. And that always screams "stuff we can't actually talk about" to me. So like, maybe when citing homebrew as a reason to buy a psp, people should mention specific things.

That would involve stuff we can't actually talk about, now wouldn't it?

Then why even mention it in the first place?

Suggesting someone buy something to get into good homebrew games is fine.

Suggesting someone buy something to play questionable content, that may break in the future because of patches can do no good.

We need a Homebrew list to direct people to when talking about this subject.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I bought a PSP. My first sony gaming purchase. Never got in to homebrew, bought a few games, tried out the UMD movie thing.

I have to say, it was an absolute waste of cash. I sold it at a loss a few months after I bought it because I couldn't find any use for it. Too bulky to travel with and use it as a real mp3 player etc. Trying to use media on it was complex and unintuitive. A big fat meh.

Later picked up a DS lite. My first nintendo gaming purchase. It's fucking awesome. I played Advance Wars for like, 3 hours yesterday. Even if such a game was available on the PSP the battery would be drained so fast you'd need to be tethered to a power point. Bleh.

Those fit the 'missing the point' mold almost too well...

Granted, if the above case of buying a PSP and then a DS was a voyage of discovery in terms of your taste, then I can sort of see your point. As for buying it and selling it 2 weeks later, well that person can just get fucked. Waste of time.

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh hey that is really cool.

I mean people always just say "homebrew" but never mention anything specific that's awesome. Just homebrew homebrew homebrew. And that always screams "stuff we can't actually talk about" to me. So like, maybe when citing homebrew as a reason to buy a psp, people should mention specific things.

That would involve stuff we can't actually talk about, now wouldn't it?
    No I'm saying people should talk about the homebrew that is actually legal so people can learn that actually legal homebrew actually exists.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I sold my PSP after months of nothing to play (I beat Lumines and Wipeout and Ridge Racer), now I kind of regret it, just for Gitaroo Man (Portable Ops didn't click with me at ALL, which is weird because I love MGS3)

I kind of want another one (on the cheap, though) for the homebrew, and for the few games I want.

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    homo-tight jeans
    This just made me lol.

Also, PSP homebrew really is something amazing. You've got:
    - Full speed/near full speed emulators for nearly every system (N64, PS1, GBA, SNES) Though I'm not going into detail here, as per the rules
    - Custom firmwares
    - Internet radio
    - Ports of popular games like Doom and whatnot

I know there's tons more, but that was all I could think of off the top of my head.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • Options
    JellyMeetsJamJellyMeetsJam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What's the highest firmware that can do homebrew?

JellyMeetsJam on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Depends. 2.70 can run a limited amount, but 1.5 is where it's at. AND now you can upgrade to a custom 3.02 that's 3.02 and can do everything 1.5 can, as well as run PS1 ISOs.

core tactic on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The PSP actually looks pretty good to me, and if it wasn't for the innovativeness of the DS, then I don't think people would be as negative about it.

There are 12 games for the PSP with a GameRankings score of 85%+, which comparable with the DS, and a decent amount considering how long it has been released. It still has a lot of potential, and its hardware design is nice (despite the battery life and load times).

It really is a decent console, with a decent line-up of games. I'd really consider it if I was more interested in the style of games it offers.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again. The only thing I really hate is the PSP's short battery life. It's died at least 3 times this week from me playing FF7.

Then again, I've got an original launch PSP with the original battery. I hear they're offering one with a 20% longer life now?

core tactic on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm rather shocked at those that say the PSP is too big and bulky to carry around. I regularly wear homo-tight jeans and have never had trouble fitting my PSP inside of it's logitec case in my front pocket.

An ipod nano vs the psp is essentially what it came down to for me. Also, maybe we wear a different brand of jeans, or our legs are a different shape, or I'm more of a fatty than you, but a psp PLUS a case in TIGHT jeans? Where does my wallet and keys go? :O

Those fit the 'missing the point' mold almost too well...

Sorry. Do you mean what I'm saying isn't relevant to the OP? Or did I miss the whole 'thing' that sony was trying to 'do' with the PSP? Which, I gather from my experience, was offer a limited range of good gaming experiences and poorly implemented media capabilities in a sexy, sexy, well marketed shell. I would love to know what the key to actually being satisfied with the PSP is. Perhaps I did miss something?

It seems that a lot of PSP owners who REALLY love their systems are the ones fucking around with homebrew. If a system can't sustain momentum through it's own releases, if it's not offering enough content officially to get people excited, if people need to look elsewhere to make their purchase worthwhile... Am I missing the point or are Sony on this one?

Forgoing homebrew, all I'm doing is relating my experience of PSP crummy, DS awesome, and it leads me to a recommendation forgoing the tantalising technology of the PSP. Don't get me wrong, it is initially an awesome peice of gadgetry to behold. Beyond that, I personally found it wasteful, given the price point and the poor software support. I'm not saying theres nothing to like about it. But for me there's not enough to like about it to warrant the investment right now.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    I was going to get a PSP, but now the games just don't look promising, and worthy of my money.

The DS makes me weep tears of joy when I play it. I NEVER liked hand held games, but tried my brother in laws and fell in love with it. It gets more play time than my wii and 360.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm rather shocked at those that say the PSP is too big and bulky to carry around. I regularly wear homo-tight jeans and have never had trouble fitting my PSP inside of it's logitec case in my front pocket.

An ipod nano vs the psp is essentially what it came down to for me. Also, maybe we wear a different brand of jeans, or our legs are a different shape, or I'm more of a fatty than you, but a psp PLUS a case in TIGHT jeans? Where does my wallet and keys go? :O
    I am very fit. And as far as wallet and keys; wallet back pocket, and keys OTHER front pocket along with cellphone.
    Depends. 2.70 can run a limited amount, but 1.5 is where it's at. AND now you can upgrade to a custom 3.02 that's 3.02 and can do everything 1.5 can, as well as run PS1 ISOs.

I have been a good boy ever since I've gotten my PSP, not run a single homebrew app and have updated to either 2.81 or 3.0. Can I easily update to this custom 3.02 and if I do will there ever be any issue if and when I want to update to the next legit firmware level to play a new game that gets released in the future?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited January 2007

I am very fit. And as far as wallet and keys; wallet back pocket, and keys OTHER front pocket along with cellphone.

I have been a good boy ever since I've gotten my PSP, not run a single homebrew app and have updated to either 2.81 or 3.0. Can I easily update to this custom 3.02 and if I do will there ever be any issue if and when I want to update to the next legit firmware level to play a new game that gets released in the future?
    Nope, you can only go from 1.5 to custom firmwares.

But once they're installed, you always go back to 1.5 if you want.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Nope, you can only go from 1.5 to custom firmwares.

But once they're installed, you always go back to 1.5 if you want.
    I would like to learn more about this, do you have a news letter I may subscribe to?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:

The DS makes me weep tears of joy when I play it. I NEVER liked hand held games, but tried my brother in laws and fell in love with it. It gets more play time than my wii and 360.

Yep. I tried my friends DS, played 2 player tetris over wifi, played a bunch of their games and then realised I couldn't stop reaching for it. Too awesome. And I spend more of my time with my DS than my 360 now too.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Just browse around here and you'll get it eventually. It's what I use.
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/

core tactic on
  • Options
    Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Maybe I was a little less optimistic when I bought the PSP. Whereas with the DS I couldn't begin to imagine the sorts of innovations that would eventually arrive (even when it wasn't so popular), with the PSP I saw what was essentially a vanilla games machine that would bring some familiar licenses to me in a portable medium, with some new ones along the way. There was nothing else it was ever going to do, not easily anyway. These were my only expectations, and that is exactly what I have reaped from it. I don't think i'd ever sit at a console to play Hot Shots, but I found it entertaining on the PSP. But my point is when you looked at it before buying - Dpad, face buttons, analogue nub - there were only going to be so many possibilities. There are just as many exclusives that i'd play on either handheld, if not only because i'm not always in the best situation to start busting out a stylus and whatnot.

The media element i'm comparatively inexperienced with - I have my music and my iPod, no real need for movies on the go, so for me to comment on it wouldn't be worth it, suffice to say it works as a backup form of taking music or whatever with me instead an iPod as well.

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a DS Lite with a supercard. I hardly play it, maybe its because I've grown older but Nintendo games tend to be far too easy for me. I've gotten in some portrait of ruin and some FFIII but in the end, the games didn't offer a whole lot to me.

I recently picked up the PSP because I heard they could emulate PSX games on it. Unfortunately my model is too new to be hacked so I'll have to wait a while for homebrew (or maybe forever), but thats ok. I've gotten MGS Portable Ops and really enjoy it. I also have a gamepass from blockbuster and have played Daxter and some other games which I have enjoyed a lot.

I also have PSP Video 9 (I think thats the name) and have converted recent episodes of Battlestar Galactica, The Office, and Scrubs to put on my PSP on the go. It really has a great screen for watching videos and I think I got my money's worth out of that alone already, but then again, for most people this would take a great deal of technical compotency and time (i encode voernight). I plan on converting some of my dvd collection too so I can take it along with me on trips.

The music player is very nice too and the PSP has replaced my zen micro 5gb player (I realized I only need about 1gb of music on me at any time).

I think part of the biggest problem with the PSP is that it has more home-console-type games on them which tend to be deeper and too involved for portable gaming. usually on the go, I want a quick burst of fun, and sometimes don't have the time to beat a level on portable ops when I get like a 10 minute break while working. I also think the PSP is a very more adult system than the DS Lite and I think adults just don't play as much portable games as kids do.

Part of the playstation's original success was making it ok for adults to play games. You can imagine a 30-year old coming home from work, kciking back in his laz-z-boy chair and playing some madden on his PS2. Its harder to see him playing on a PSP on his lunch break.

Kids however, do nothing but play, at home, at school, during lucnh and recess, and thus I think the portable gaming market will be dominated by a more younger demographic for a long time to come.

Sorry for that long aside, but my main point is that a PSP is more of an adult portable device that does a lot of cool things extra to playing games. The games on the system all tend to be more PS2-like in that theya re generally deeper and more involved than their DS-lite counterparts which is something you might not want in a portable system. Games also cost more on the PSP which hurts it as well since if you use a portable gaming system less you probably expect to play less as well.

In short, I would say the PSP is a good system if you know what you're getting into and don't expect too much. Just check out which titles have already come out that have gotten 7's and above at ign.com and see if there are enough that you want to play. Also, put a value on what the PSP's extra features are worth to you. I'd say the video player alone is worth a 100 bucks to me, and the mp3 playing ability is worth about 50, and the portable gaming is worth about 140, Considering that I got a PSP with 2gb stick for about 200 cash due to holiday deals, I think I got quite a steal for my system.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Short info...

The highest firmware you can downgrade from is 2.80. The ability to run unsinged code was removed with 2.81 and higher.

You can run homebrew on 2.7-2.80, but it's a little crippled because you don't have access to the core of the system.

If you have a newer TA-086 to TA-089 motherboard and attempt to downgrade no matter what firmware you are at, you will brick your PSP.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:
    I have a DS Lite with a supercard. I hardly play it, maybe its because I've grown older but Nintendo games tend to be far too easy for me. I've gotten in some portrait of ruin and some FFIII but in the end, the games didn't offer a whole lot to me.

I don't understand how the entire DS library can be too easy for you. I play games a fair bit, and games like Ouendan, Trauma Center and Advance Wars are pretty damn challenging. Even New Super Mario Bros is challenging if you want to collect everything, and Yoshi's Island DS can reportedly be an absolute bastard.

Most DS games probably have "simpler" mechanics than many other current games (which is generally a desirable thing in a portable machine), but there are certainly plenty of games that offer a significant challenge.

The PSP is a great machine, apart from a few minor issues (namely battery life and load times). But, as a Nintendo fan, I have to say that the DS is in no way a "kiddie" machine. Its demographic actually probably skews higher than most consoles, due to the large number of adult non-gamers it attracts, and it offers plenty of challenging games.

EDIT: I just checked Dukhat's posting history, and every single one of his comments has been pro-Sony or anti-Nintendo. It is clear that he is either a major Sony fanboy or a plant. So there is no point even trying to refute any of his comments.

Marlor on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Dukhat wrote:

I don't understand how the entire DS library can be too easy for you. I play games a fair bit, and games like Ouendan, Trauma Center and Advance Wars are pretty damn challenging. Even New Super Mario Bros is challenging if you want to collect everything, and Yoshi's Island DS can reportedly be an absolute bastard.

Most DS games probably have "simpler" mechanics than many other current games (which is generally a desirable thing in a portable machine), but there are certainly plenty of games that offer a significant challenge.

The PSP is a great machine, apart from a few minor issues (namely battery life and load times). But, as a Nintendo fan, I have to say that the DS is in no way a "kiddie" machine. Its demographic actually probably skews higher than most consoles, due to the large number of adult non-gamers it attracts, and it offers plenty of challenging games.

He is in another thread talking about how amazing the PS3 is. He is an idiot.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    edited January 2007

There needs to be some sort of moderator-applied "Fanboy" tag for obvious serial-offending fanboys/plants, so that people don't waste their time trying to refute their comments in the misguided belief that they are actually serious.

Marlor on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:
    Sorry for that long aside, but my main point is that a PSP is more of an adult portable device that does a lot of cool things extra to playing games. The games on the system all tend to be more PS2-like in that theya re generally deeper and more involved than their DS-lite counterparts which is something you might not want in a portable system. Games also cost more on the PSP which hurts it as well since if you use a portable gaming system less you probably expect to play less as well.

Actually, the DSLite has appealed to more adults than the PSP, due to its iPod-like design and software like Brain Age that actually appeals to adults.

As far as depth is concerned, you'll have to give some examples.

In short, I would say the PSP is a good system if you know what you're getting into and don't expect too much.

Hm, great advice.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:

There needs to be some sort of moderator-applied "Fanboy" tag for obvious serial-offending fanboys/plants, so that people don't waste their time trying to refute their comments in the misguided belief that they are actually serious.
    What and get rid of all GnT?

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Filler wrote:
    Marlor wrote:

Well, I don't think there are many people at Dukhat's level. Seriously, check out his posting history (using Search for Author on the search page). :shock:

Marlor on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Filler wrote:
    Marlor wrote:

Well, I don't think there are many people at Dukhat's level. Seriously, check out his posting history (using Search for Author on the search page). :shock:
    :shock:

Wow. I thought he was just a horrible fanboy, but his posting history is worse than I expected. He apparently also makes shit up, since his first post claims he used button presses to fight in Wii Zelda, when that's simply not possible.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I love my PSP and all, but you don't have a PS2? Get one, now. It easily has one of the best libraries of games ever in existence and I can't really understand how any gamer could go without one for the last 5 years.

If you prefer a handheld though, I'd highly recommend Killzone: Liberation. It's currently my most played game and my favourite PSP game (though MGS:PO will probably take that place when it comes out here).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    shroudedshrouded Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Filler wrote:
    Marlor wrote:

Very true. I was starting to respond to mister Duckhat's posts, but a quick scan of his posting showed it really wasn't worth it. I think we've all had the pleasure of watching arguments with him or someone like him. Yeah, you think you're too cool for kiddie games on a Nintendo platform, and you think Sony's stuff is adult and sexy.

I'm 29 years old, have a wife and a mortgage, and I don't hesitate to let people see that I have an mp3 player & a DS Lite in my jacket pockets. I stopped worrying about whether my shit looked cool and started just using what I enjoy quite a while ago.

On-topic: I stood in line at midnight, bought a PSP at launch, and loved it. I loved the games, loved the media capabilities, and thought it was great tech. After a while, though, the flow of games dried up, and the vast majority of portable titles I found interesting were on the DS. It wasn't as convenient a music machine as my iPod, so it eventually was primarily a video player. Pulling out an episode of a TV show was cool on lunches at work, but I found the for the programs I cared enough to encode I cared enough to watch them at home.

The PSP is good at a lot of things, if those things fit your lifestyle, and aren't done better by something else. For me, it just didn't fit (physically, or metaphorically). It is a great device for some people... just not for me. If you are one of those people, grab one and enjoy it. Just make sure you play a little Lumines for me. :wink:

shrouded on
    Now Playing: Wii: Nothing. PS3: Netflix. 360: Nothing. PC: Skyrim. OSX: Nothing. iOS: Elder Sign. Vita: Wipeout 2048, Persona 3, Lumines.
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    halkun wrote:
    Short info...

The highest firmware you can downgrade from is 2.80. The ability to run unsinged code was removed with 2.81 and higher.

You can run homebrew on 2.7-2.80, but it's a little crippled because you don't have access to the core of the system.

If you have a newer TA-086 to TA-089 motherboard and attempt to downgrade no matter what firmware you are at, you will brick your PSP.
    I have 2.81, will I ever be able to downgrade it? I suddenly got a bug up my ass after finding out that I can use a homebrewed 3.02 and still get to play games.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    You will have to wait....

I did for two years. :P

I have faith, Sony's discovered that the PSP's security system is flawed from the get-go. There are roumors of a whole new redesign. Flashes are getting decrypted as soon as Sony releases them now. All it takes is someone to find the right bug and trip it just right. It could be in a game, or a malformed wifi packet or anything. You will be suprised how resurseful those guys can be.

Just check PSPUpdaes every few days.....

halkun on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux on
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I seriously don´t understand how anyone can be a Sony fanboy anymore, after Sony showing in so many ways how little they think of their customers. After the rootkit and so many other blunders I find it hard to support them in any way, let alone sing any praise. I decided to let go of any hope of owning a PSP after the guerilla marketing campaign. Good thing it doesn´t have many games that interest me me, anyway.

If Suikoden I and II would be available for it in any form, I would reconsider though...

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    DukhatDukhat Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't think its a stretch to say that the PSP's demographic is older than the DS Lite demographic. Sure there are 40 year old DS Lite users and they are 12 year old PSP users. But in general, I don't think its a big leap in logic to say that the average user of a DS Lite is younger than that of a PSP. I know, I've sold a ton of DS Lites already to mostly clueless parents taht just wanted to get it for their kids. Its the same market as the Wii is right now. Call after call, and from waiting in a bunch of lines, all I see are parents getting both systems for their kids (hey its a profitable way to burn time). Its smart business for Nintendo. Kids have relatively price-inelastic demand (since parents will do anythign to keep their kids happy), are more likely to succumb to peer pressure (Little Jimmy has a DS Lite, so I want one too!), and are to technically inept to pirate games. Now my sampling is non-random so it isn't exactly generalizable upon the population, but I think its more reliable than the anecdotal evidence that gets spewed on these boards. And I'm sure there are plenty of adults that game on DS Lites too, but the statistics do indicate a supreme skew towards kids (at least in America, I know the Japanese are crazy for the DS Lite).

As I pointed out, this is not a DS Lite versus PSP thread, its a PSP thread and I said to go look at the top-rated games for the PSP and see if they are worth your time and the purchase of a PSP. So far for me they have been.

The PSP's dry release schedue was a big turn-off for me too. I only considered getting a PSP after hearing the PSX library had opened up for the PSP (but unfortuantely not for new PSP's, yet). I was looking foward to putting my PSX games onto .iso's and playing them on the go. But at least I have games like like MGS Portable OPS, Daxter, and Socom Out, I feel like I have all my bases covered. Somethign like 80% of the games that have gotten 9's or above at ign.com were released this year for PSP.

So in short, your decision to purchase a PSP should be a rational one based on your accounting of the value of each of the PSP's features. If you aren't going to watch movies or listen to music much on it, then the value of the PSP of course goes down. If you don't like the games on the PSP, obviously you should not get one.

The point still stands. If you are going to use the PSP for more than just games and if enough games strike your fancy on the PSP, then its definitely worth a purchase.

Dukhat on
    Holla!
  • Options
    RandomVinceRandomVince Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:
    all I see are parents getting both systems for their kids

Anecdotal evidence is a wonderful thing, but I see the same thing only in reverse. MEanwhile many people buy DSL for their partners.

That said, this is not the point of the discussion as to whether or not which people buy which system. It's entirely down to what sort of games one wants, and whether one wants to play portable versions of home console games, or portable versions of non-traditional games.

My personal opinion is that you should buy a gaming system based on the games (and gaming services - eg xbl) first. Anything else is a bonus, but it shouldnt be the main reason.

RandomVince on
    ULTIMATUM, n. In diplomacy, a last demand before resorting to concessions.
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    halkun wrote:
    Short info...

Also note that the TA-082 board can now be downgraded as long as you are running 2.71 or lower.

Has SCUMMVM been mentioned yet? If not SCUMMVM FTW. It allows you to play such classics as Maniac Mansion and the Monkey Island series in case you are not familiar with it. All it is is an executable replacement, you still need to own the original data files to play so I believe it is safe to talk about on here. Please let me know if I'm wrong though.

BladeX on
  • Options
    SilvanosSilvanos Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There's a reason the DS sold so much this holiday season that people had trouble getting their hands on it, and there's a reason you can easily get your hands on a PSP. The DS has served me well, with both challenges and a plethora of gaming titles.

I tried to give PSP a loving chance, hoping it would rock my world. I give it a chance everytime one of my friends gets a new game for the system. The only great application of the system I've seen has been the homebrew, and I'm unwilling to pay that sort of money for an emulator. The system as far as I am concerned is a barren wasteland.

I do however still dream of the day when I can throw down a small portion of money to play the only game I care about on the system: Lumines.

Silvanos on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Honestly, you can spend $20+ on a media dock or supercard, and then buy a memory format, and you'll have a DS that can do everything the PSP can. You just have to convert your DVDs to the DS format instead of buying UMDs. Speaking of which, are they still making those? I thought Sony discontinued the idea since they were selling like bricks covered in shit and set on fire.

Mai-Kero on