As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Suckin' on Wieners, Munchin' on Tacos

• AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You should cook paninis on them, though

Paninis are delicious

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    mully wrote: »
    does "fully dressed" mean scale/cut/fillet?

i definitely want to try red snapper

i'm also wondering -- is it okay to freeze fish? i mean, i know it's better to never freeze anything - but with fish, will it get weird if i freeze it? (say i buy a whole snapper and scale/cut it up myself to save some moolah - how long would it stay in the freezer, and would it retain its snappiness?)

dressed, fully dressed or whole dressed all pretty much mean that the fish has been gutted, scaled and that some of the fins have been taken off. If you want it filleted just ask for a fillet.

As pip mentioned, you have to be pretty quick when freezing fish. In my freezer right now I have a bunch of tilapia and salmon. For the snapper, you can likely get a whole one that would satisfy you and bombs pretty easy. Or just buy two smaller fish. No need to take it apart. Just bake and serve...that is unless you get weirded out by a whole fish hitting the table.

Dru has a point, if it's one of those forman's that squeeze the food, you'd do better in the oven or on a skillet or grill.

DrZiplock on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    the fact that it is specifically designed to stream fat away is what dries shit out

well, a combination of it being slanted to drain off fat along with it pressing the food it cooks to squeeze out even more

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FizFiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I made corn chowder for dinner tonight. Corn is so good, you guys

It is a new thing I discovered. Don't let the white people know of it

Fiz on
    juggcat.jpg
    edited December 2009
    we call it..maize

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    white people fucking love corn

PiptheFair on
    edited December 2009
    It helps that it tastes like oppressed minorities.

It's the same reason that cotton feels soooo gooooood.

DrZiplock on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    19453_1273530367338_1502280122_3070.jpg

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    just made me some soft-boiled eggs. yum!

Metzger Meister on
    edited December 2009
    just made me some soft-boiled eggs microwaved in a plastic bag. yum!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    just made me some soft-boiled eggs microwaved in a plastic bag. yum!

BAG OMELETS ARE BOILED YOU JERK! YOU JEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRK!

I was out of bread to make into toast though, so i put my eggs on ego waffles :oops:

Metzger Meister on
    edited December 2009
    nothing wrong with eggo waffles

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited December 2009
    these are actually Schwan toaster waffles, which I think are better than Eggos.

My step-dad is a Schwan man, so we get dat shit on da cheap. It's pretty boss.

I might actually prefer the waffles to regular toast, actually... hm. Experimentation has once again yielded excellent results.

Metzger Meister on
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bogey wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    it's fuckin awesome

one of my "cook to get laid" recipes
    I'm not a big fan of fish, so you'll have to use something else on me!

I also grill a mean Filet Mignon

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited January 2010
    I just pulled a beef wellington out of the oven.

Let it rest.

Slice it aaaaaaand the fucking thing wasn't done yet. Awesome.

It's back in the oven, but I fear the damage is done.

DrZiplock on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ouch, sorry, Zip

better start making a sauce for what is unfortunately likely going to be a dry piece of meat

Javen on
    edited January 2010
    aww man that sucks zip

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited January 2010
    Wellington Update:

I seared off the ends that I sliced and put it back in the over for about 10 minutes. Pulled it, short rest and sliced again.

The only unsalvageable parts were the ends, but those tend to go a little gray in wellingtons anyway.

Still, I'm a little irked. 35 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees and it was still damn near raw in the middle. Rabble rabble.

But, whatever, it was paired with hot crash potatoes (I'm going to use butter next time, not olive oil) and a nice Yuengling.

Nice little birthday dinner for the lady.

DrZiplock on
    edited January 2010
    I guess it's not cool to use a meat thermometer with a beef wellington eh?

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use a probe thermometer when I make wellington, works like a charm. Just don't pull it out til the meat has rested a half hour.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
    edited January 2010
    Looking back, I should have used the probe, but I've done wellington in the past and been good to go. Meh, didn't stop the delicious.

DrZiplock on
    edited January 2010
    Hey as long as it turned out

did you accompany it with a nice red wine?

Staleghoti on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I made yogurt in my crock pot last night because I fucking love yogurt and crock pots are fucking amazing. I ate it tonight and I'm not sick. Its good but I need to strain it to thicken it up a bit. I like it thick and creamy.
    Mmmm, think and creamy home made yogurt.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have always wanted to try beef wellington after that episode of spongebob

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
    edited January 2010
    I have always wanted to try beef wellington after that episode of spongebob

Same but it was King of the Hill for me

Staleghoti on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So, christmas eve before leaving to visit the in-laws I roasted a bunch of garlic to take with me, as I was making mashed potatoes and didn't want to have to roast it there.

I forgot to bring the garlic with me.

So now I'm finding other uses for it. Tonight 2 bulbs were mixed with butter to make some incredible garlic bread. I'm finding the roasted stuff has a much less powerful flavour than raw garlic, but the roasted flavour/texture is incredible.

I still have one bulb left in the fridge, any other suggestions?

The rest of supper is spaghetti with homemade sauce and red wine. Life is good.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I love getting some toasted bread (similar to the stuff used in bruschetta) and just wiping it on that.

It's incredibly sweet and not too overpowering.

Blake T on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man.

My favourite thing to do with a head of garlic is use it instead of tomato sauce for homemade pizzas. You just cut off the top quarter (the bit where it comes to a point, not where the stalk was), rub it with olive oil, wrap it in tinfoil and roast it in the oven. Then when it's all soft and roasty, open it up, pop the cloves out to taste and spread them on top of your semi-baked pizza crust (homemade or otherwise).

I like mine with artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, basil leaves and feta cheese. And sometimes kalamata olives and fresh thyme pinched on top.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Has anyone else made sabayon sauce?

I made 2 dishes from Tyler Florence's "Dinner at My Place" cookbook this weekend, one was awesome (penne with sausage, tomato, and peas but we sub'ed broccoli for the peas) and the other was blah. The blah was his "wife's pregnancy pasta" which was just pasta with sabayon and fried pancetta & garlic sprinkled on top. His sabayon recipe was 6 eggs, cup of milk, cup of heavy cream, blended over a double boiler for 7-8 minutes, then add 1/4 cup parmesan and some pepper. That sauce added no flavor at all, seemed like we were eating a bowl of plain pasta with bacon on top.

Is there a better sabayon, or should I not even bother with sabayon?

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
    edited January 2010
    sabayon is made with riesling and egg

PiptheFair on
  • pillowpillow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know much about food, but goddamn I had some tasty food this weekend. Ihop was incredible.
    I'm kidding dan, your food was much more memorable. I'm sad I didn't get to try the oysters or the mac and cheese, though.

What is riesling?

pillow on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

That probably would taste much better.

Weird his receipe left it out. Wonder if that was to make it completely safe for his (then) pregnant wife.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
    edited January 2010
    pillow wrote: »
    I don't know much about food, but goddamn I had some tasty food this weekend. Ihop was incredible.
    I'm kidding dan, your food was much more memorable. I'm sad I didn't get to try the oysters or the mac and cheese, though.

What is riesling?

a white wine

and sabayon/zabagillion are dessert custards

PiptheFair on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh man.

My favourite thing to do with a head of garlic is use it instead of tomato sauce for homemade pizzas. You just cut off the top quarter (the bit where it comes to a point, not where the stalk was), rub it with olive oil, wrap it in tinfoil and roast it in the oven. Then when it's all soft and roasty, open it up, pop the cloves out to taste and spread them on top of your semi-baked pizza crust (homemade or otherwise).

I like mine with artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, basil leaves and feta cheese. And sometimes kalamata olives and fresh thyme pinched on top.

Yeah, that's how I roasted mine. Gonna have to try both that and Blake's toast spread suggestions.

I bought a ton of fresh garlic last month from the local source market at the end of my street. Last year I ran out, and because they rely on the farmers supplying them, they didn't get any more from Late Jan/Feb through till summer. Trying to avoid having to go back to the dried out stuff they import from china, so I stocked up.

UnbrokenEva on
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm making sauerkraut right now. It's going to be good.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    under 2 weeks
    Swill/Zombies/etc you guys planning to come up?!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    january 16th you say

Sars_Boy on
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yessir

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Thought it was Marsala Wine not Riesling.

Theidar on
    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Theidar wrote: »

Thought it was Marsala Wine not Riesling.

It probably was in the Italian tradition before the French got their hands on it and turned it into cuisine.

Aneurhythmia on