As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The spider thread: scorpions and crabs a-okay too!

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heatwave wrote: »
    It all started one magical night when I was channel surfing and stopped on some movie with a guy entering barn filled with webs. Que face hugging spider. D: Damn you nameless movie! (Does anyone know this movie's name?)

Arachnophobia. Fuck that movie.

That movie is awesome. I remember loving it as a kid because John Goodman looked like a Ghostbuster near the end. Apparently it gave my wife her arachnophobia and she refuses to watch it anymore.
    Thanks for providing the title. I'm going to watch this movie sometime tonight when I find it. And then I'm going to cleanse myself by killing every living thing that has more than four legs. ;-)

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    And then I'm going to cleanse myself by killing every living thing that has more than four legs. ;-)

:x

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    And then I'm going to cleanse myself by killing every living thing that has more than four legs. ;-)

Let's hope he starts with roaches, should keep him busy, well, forever.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »

Don't tell him about eyebrow mites, I'm afraid he'll hurt himself.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Jokes on you, I'll just shave off my eyebrows.

Anyway
    Meet the toilet spider

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Anyway
    *o_Oahhhhwtfo_O*

D: Goddamn bungee spiders! This is not okay at all.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I love spiders
    Well, I hate mosquitos so very very very much that anything that gets rid of them is automatically in my good graces.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Unless you're pulling off your skin, ain't gonna do you much good:

demodex-2.jpg

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huh, I didn't know that spiders or arachnids in general could see and makeout digital images.

There are few spiders I really would eradicate. The Brazilian wandering spider is at the top of the list. I love spiders, but anything which has venom that can cause erectile dysfunction is of the devil!

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spiders are great, I had two black fuzzy ones with neon green fangs, then ants ate them. :(

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Spiders are great, I had two black fuzzy ones with neon green fangs, then ants ate them. :(

Ants...ants are where the true horror lies.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    what is the attraction of a pet spider?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Are scorpions allowed in this thread too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdVvoSP8QtY

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

They are awesome and if you have any lingering phobia can help you get over it.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I guess if you ever feel too loved it's a way to make sure that you have something in your life that is utterly indifferent to you.

Hachface on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I thought they sounded cool, but then I did some research and my conclusions were:

1) Spiders never learn who you are or recognize you, no matter how long you have them. Hence, the best you can hope for is to have them not attack you.

2) Even non-venomous spiders have other obnoxious defense mechanisms, like shooting allergenic fiber-glass like hairs at you.

3) Mostly, they just sit there.

MrMister on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    demodex-2.jpg

We're not talking about Dune here Macera.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    MrMister wrote: »

I thought they sounded cool, but then I did some research and my conclusions were:

1) Spiders never learn who you are or recognize you, no matter how long you have them. Hence, the best you can hope for is to have them not attack you.

2) Even non-venomous spiders have other obnoxious defense mechanisms, like shooting allergenic fiber-glass like hairs at you.

Any non-mammalian/avian pets operate off the four F's: Fight, flee, fuck, and feed. If you have one as a pet, they're essentially living decorations. Sometimes their actions can be misconstrued as emotional responses, but they're not ... they simply aren't capable of the complex emotions that we are.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Some reptiles have social responses as well.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Any non-mammalian/avian pets operate off the four F's: Fight, flee, fuck, and feed. If you have one as a pet, they're essentially living decorations. Sometimes their actions can be misconstrued as emotional responses, but they're not ... they simply aren't capable of the complex emotions that we are.

"For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks." - Terry Pratchett

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I mean, unless I'm lost in the wilds of Africa I'm not afraid of a lion or tiger because they pose no active threat to me. And even if they did they are large and punchable and while the chances of me beating a lion are pretty nil at least there is a nonzero chance. All a black widow has to do is bite me once and it doesn't freaking matter if I kill it because I'm at the will of my immune response and medicine.

Also, lions don't tend to live in MY HOUSE WHEN I SLEEP CRAWLING WHEREVER THEY WANT WHENEVER THEY WANT AND OH GOD THERE'S SOMETHING ON MY FACE! D:

Edit: That said I'd be more than happy not to wipe EVERY spider from the face of the Earth, just any who happen to get within 10 feet of me for the rest of my life.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Black widows aren't very dangerous unless your immune system is already weak.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    brown recluses, on the other hand, necrotize your flesh

meaning they make you rot

the only good spider is a dead one

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »

It is the weirdest thing; I dislike spiders, generally don't want to be anywhere near them, and once flipped my shoe off, caught it, and threw it across a 15 foot room to nail one to the wall ... but I have no issues with Black Widows. I flip over a rock, go "Oh hey, Black Widow" and flip it back over. Go figure.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It is the weirdest thing; I dislike spiders, generally don't want to be anywhere near them, and once flipped my shoe off, caught it, and threw it across a 15 foot room to nail one to the wall ... but I have no issues with Black Widows. I flip over a rock, go "Oh hey, Black Widow" and flip it back over. Go figure.

Maybe you just like the way they dress. :winky:

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Have you ever been bitten by a brown recluse? Yes, the venom can potentially rot off flesh but being bitten does not mean you get the venom. I was bitten once, sent the spider to get ID'ed and all I got was a half dollar sized dark bruised spot that was soft to the touch. No pain. Was gone in two weeks. It was not until after that I found out it was a brown recluse officially.

There are so many other things in the world worth freaking out about. Why freak out about spiders?

Oh yeah... they watch you while you are sleeping.

Noxy on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

o_O

The fatality rate is low, but getting bitten by a black widow is no walk in the park.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Maybe you just like the way they dress. :winky:

Stupid, sexy spiders. I also have a problem splatting anything bigger than a silver dollar. I can't help but think .oO(What if I miss? Holy shit, it's gonna come after me. Jesus, is there anything I can offer to appease it?) Like what if I try to jump on something tarantula sized, but it moves out of the way and goes up my pant leg? I'm FUCKED if that happens. Too risky.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

o_O

The fatality rate is low, but getting bitten by a black widow is no walk in the park.

I didn't say people should stop crushing them on sight.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rust wrote: »

Actually not as often as you'd think. Seen it on Wikipedia (can't remember what other sites that are more reputable), but only in a few instances when someone is bitten is there actually necrosis. And based off of all the reports of brown recluse necrotic bites, most of them are misreports.

If you want something to avoid, avoid mesquitos. They don't kill you, but everything they can carry is a bitch.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »

Actually not as often as you'd think. Seen it on Wikipedia (can't remember what other sites that are more reputable), but only in a few instances when someone is bitten is there actually necrosis. And based off of all the reports of brown recluse necrotic bites, most of them are misreports.

If you want something to avoid, avoid mesquitos. They don't kill you, but everything they can carry is a bitch.

And I'm willing to bet a good portion of those necrotizing bites are a result of "Oh, it's just a spider bite, no big deal, it'll stop hurting soon" indifference followed by a lack of any attempts at sanitization.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

And I'm willing to bet a good portion of those necrotizing bites are a result of "Oh, it's just a spider bite, no big deal, it'll stop hurting soon" indifference followed by a lack of any attempts at sanitization.

The reality is that there is not much you can do to spider bite other than wait and see what happens. If it starts necrotizing, go to an ER and have them remove the affected flesh. Funny thing is, every time I think of this scenario I imagine the doctor with an icecream scoop.

Noxy on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Fonjo wrote: »

The reality is that there is not much you can do to spider bite other than wait and see what happens. If it starts necrotizing, go to an ER and have them remove the affected flesh. Funny thing is, every time I think of this scenario I imagine the doctor with an icecream scoop.

i am going to beat you to death with a melon baller for putting that image in my head

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fonjo wrote: »

i am going to beat you to death with a melon baller for putting that image in my head

What image? The icecream scoop? Seriously though, what scoop would you prefer: cafeteria mash potato scoop with the scraper on it or one of those cool ice cream scoops that cut through ice cream like butter?

Hmm, I suppose the doctor could just use a spoon or fork.

Noxy on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hachface wrote: »

I guess if you ever feel too loved it's a way to make sure that you have something in your life that is utterly indifferent to you.

Like a cat? :P

Seriously though, you don't get a spider for an emotional connection, just like you don't get an aquarium to cuddle with. You just get to look at a really neat animal every day and interact with something totally unique. They're kind of (bad analogy coming up) living Sims or tamogatchis or something, where you are making this thing prosper and live in its own life in its own little bubble of space that you've built for it. Except in this case your sims are rad fuckin predators with alien brains and eight limbs and actually exist.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh shit I'm watching Arachnophobia! Look out mother fucker that spider's coming right for you!

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm the kind of person who loves just staring at animals that fascinate me. I went to a zoo recentley and was far more interested in watching komodo dragons and alligators do their own thing and chilling than beng dragged to those stupid shows where the dolphins jump through hoops.

In terms of the question of having a spider as a pet I'd well rather watch a pet tarantula just crawl around, see how it reacts, where it goes, etc. I much prefer seeing animals I like do their own thing rather than put on shows.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Everyone seems to have missed an important part of keeping a pet spider. Keeping away arachnaphobes. But on a more serious note, is there much more reason to explain why you want to have a pet besides you're fascinated in some way by it? Generally not a get out and play with animals, but same goes for most reptiles and aquatic life. You can handle a few species, but thats more of a for you thing. Also, most times, their much less expensive than most common pets.

I'm trying to figure out what it is about spiders that really just freak people out. I've considered getting spiders, but I know that I'm still squirmish if I find a spider next to me and tend to relocate them with flailing. Now I know part of it being a phobia is that it is an irrational fear, but I still think there is something rational behind with how common fear/squirmishness of spiders there seems to be.

It's possible I'm just grabbing at thin air here, but I wonder if it's because of how very handlike spiders look. I remember seeing a chart that was showing people's reactions based off of life-like body parts, and I believe for some reason hands were way in the freak out area. (Either that or I read the chart wrong). Though honestly, it is sort of creepy to see something that looks like an eight fingered hand walking around and biting things.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My favorite thing about spiders is the old adage (which I'm not sure is true, but I love to quote) that "you're never more than six feet away from a spider." This freaks people out because they usually imagine it's somewhere close and they can't see it.

Well, I own a tarantula. So I know where my six foot away spider is. Do you?

Also, I like to think my girl scares away all the smaller spiders, but that's probably not true.

Killgrimage on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are scorpions allowed in this thread too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdVvoSP8QtY

Wow, I didn't realize scorpions effectively give live birth.

Also, I'm terrified of spiders, but those scorpions aren't as scary. Shit, if I could get one without a stinger, I might even consider having one as a pet.
    Oh shit I'm watching Arachnophobia! Look out mother fucker that spider's coming right for you!

I don't know why, but this is the funniest thing I've read all day. :D

EDIT: Anywho, I loath spiders. I always have. For two reason

1. Those little fuckers are fast and small. In an instant they could crawl up your pant leg and THEN there's nothing to stop it from crawling all over you.
    2. They're little assassins... make traps for me to fall into and doing the Sam Fischer thing onto my head.

That said, I'm trying to get over my fear a little bit. I no longer instantly slay the little monsters (unless it's near my bed. That's a no spider zone no matter what.) and I consider it a challenge to conquer my fear enough to trap the little guys into a cup or something, without it escaping at the last second and crawling on my hand. If I catch them, they get put outside.

More recently there was a spider living in the little nook near the enterence to my apartment.. I ultimately decided that so long as I don't see an eggsac in that web, he can stay there. I named him Carl, IIRC, but he either died or moved on before too long.

My most recent spider kill was when I was housesitting for my parents and the room they had me sleeping in was having a new floor put in, so the was no trim around hte floor, which is pretty much a open invitation for spiders. I only saw one though. After I had been laying in bed trying to sleep for about 20 minutes, I got thirsty and went ot the bathroom. I turned on the light and there was this tiny little spider (like the size of a pen tip) crawling on my face.

The combination of surprise, sleepiness and just how utterly microscopic the spider was prevent me from having a freakout. 'course I killed the little bugger out of general principle.

Undead Scottsman on