As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The spider thread: scorpions and crabs a-okay too!

• Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I know where my six foot away spider is. Do you?

I misread this as "So I know where my six foot spider is".

I'm sure I'd feel some mix of fear and fascination at such a creature, I'm not sure which one would take over (I'd probably end up getting eaten anyways.

Also the pictures of the jumping spiders a few pages back are cute as hell (a really cute version of hell where goths end up going, not the fire and jaggy rocks one).

Scroffus on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've thought about getting a tarantula as a pet in order to help abate my arachnophobia, but two things get in the way of that.

1. I'm not as scared different of big spiders than of small spiders. I've never really had to deal with big spiders in alaska, outside of pet stores, but I imagine if I saw one in the wild, I'd be as scared of it as I would a rat. If i just see it standing in front of me, I'd hope it'd just run off scared. If it started crawling on me, I'd probably flail about. Ultimately though, it's not the same fear as little spiders.. except for if..
    2. If that little bastard got lose (I had a pet hamster who was a master escape artist) and I woke up with him, say, crawling on my face, body or generally any direction like that; I'd probably flip out and would probably end up hurting the little guy, which for something I'd be keeping as a pet, I'd feel REALLY bad about.

So I figure it'd better to just not get a pet spider. :D

EDIT: I mean, really, I'd probably be better off just getting a hamster. At least that way I could build a badass habi-trail setup. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Would your inept partner in crime attempt to crush the tarantula with a crowbar but instead just bash your stomach in?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    Unless you're pulling off your skin, ain't gonna do you much good]
    Damn you. Now I itch EVERYWHERE.

GungHo on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, I'm terrified of spiders, but those scorpions aren't as scary. Shit, if I could get one without a stinger, I might even consider having one as a pet.

I've had pet emperors, they are neat. Their sting can't really do anything to you, you don't have to worry. They glow under UV light and you can feed them anything from crickets up to mice.
    I had a pet hamster who was a master escape artist

I had a python that was the same way, odd that you could lose such a large creature in such a small apartment. :?

psychotix on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    what is the attraction of a pet spider?

I thought they sounded cool, but then I did some research and my conclusions were:

1) Spiders never learn who you are or recognize you, no matter how long you have them. Hence, the best you can hope for is to have them not attack you.

2) Even non-venomous spiders have other obnoxious defense mechanisms, like shooting allergenic fiber-glass like hairs at you.

3) Mostly, they just sit there.

Any non-mammalian/avian pets operate off the four F's: Fight, flee, fuck, and feed. If you have one as a pet, they're essentially living decorations. Sometimes their actions can be misconstrued as emotional responses, but they're not ... they simply aren't capable of the complex emotions that we are.

My mom has a rule that if it needs to be in a cage, case, etc, it's a wild animal, and should not be a pet. Fish and birds are a no-no. If a pet is in a cage, she feels like she's the one in the cage.

We had a cocktail with an open cage who would safely move around the house and sing. My stupid ass grandma took the open cage outside to clean it and he flew away. Again, wild animal.

Hamsters? I don't care what you have. They will escape and go crazy. I'm not even going to go there...

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I'm alone, I generally try to move it or leave it alone and not mention it to my gf.

If I hear her scream followed by "Come here now" I go and get the slipper and prepare to do my duty.

If the damn things don't want to die they really should evolve not to be seen by her. Yes I'm jesting, I do feel bad but anything else isn't acceptable.

If it's a certain type of spider that you get here though, it dies wether I'm alone or not. I don't take risks.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Also, I'm terrified of spiders, but those scorpions aren't as scary. Shit, if I could get one without a stinger, I might even consider having one as a pet.

I've had pet emperors, they are neat. Their sting can't really do anything to you, you don't have to worry. They glow under UV light and you can feed them anything from crickets up to mice.

I don't know what it is, but apparently scorpions are less scary to people than spiders. Something about it not having to bite you but sting you with a tail that has a longer reach is more reasurring? My friend is the same way. She cannot be in the same room as a spider, but encourages me to get scorpions.

Also, as a few notes, I've seen several sites stating that you pretty much have to make an emperor scorpion sting you for you to get stung. LIke, literally push the stinger into you. Even then it's compaired to a bee sting. The pincers it may use more freely, but still, as far as pets go it's very docile as long as you don't agitate it or try to mess with it while agitated.

I think a stingerless scorpion is about as good as a defanged snake... it's not a good idea.

Man, this thread makes me want to try and convince myself scorpions are what I wanna get. So many pets to get, so little money and space. :(

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    scorpions are eyeless walking poison glands

they're about as horrible as animals can get without being in the deep sea

Rust on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    psychotix wrote: »

I don't know what it is, but apparently scorpions are less scary to people than spiders. Something about it not having to bite you but sting you with a tail that has a longer reach is more reasurring? My friend is the same way. She cannot be in the same room as a spider, but encourages me to get scorpions.

Also, as a few notes, I've seen several sites stating that you pretty much have to make an emperor scorpion sting you for you to get stung. LIke, literally push the stinger into you. Even then it's compaired to a bee sting. The pincers it may use more freely, but still, as far as pets go it's very docile as long as you don't agitate it or try to mess with it while agitated.

I think a stingerless scorpion is about as good as a defanged snake... it's not a good idea.

Man, this thread makes me want to try and convince myself scorpions are what I wanna get. So many pets to get, so little money and space. :(

I think it's that due to the claws, they look like crabs/lobsters and other things we aren't afraid of.

Emperors are extremely docile, you really have to piss them off before they do anything. On the other hand they love to fight each other over food. It's rather funny, you can toss in a bunch of crickets and a royal rumble will break out over one while there are others still roaming around.

And under UV light

z_fuscus_uv.jpg
    If I hear her scream followed by "Come here now" I go and get the slipper and prepare to do my duty.

I've had to deal with this as well. The scream like there is a man with a knife, or some horrible monster, and it's... a tiny spider in the corner not moving. :?

psychotix on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Scorpions scare the shit out of me ever since Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

I thought they sounded cool, but then I did some research and my conclusions were:

1) Spiders never learn who you are or recognize you, no matter how long you have them. Hence, the best you can hope for is to have them not attack you.

2) Even non-venomous spiders have other obnoxious defense mechanisms, like shooting allergenic fiber-glass like hairs at you.

Any non-mammalian/avian pets operate off the four F's: Fight, flee, fuck, and feed. If you have one as a pet, they're essentially living decorations. Sometimes their actions can be misconstrued as emotional responses, but they're not ... they simply aren't capable of the complex emotions that we are.

My mom has a rule that if it needs to be in a cage, case, etc, it's a wild animal, and should not be a pet. Fish and birds are a no-no. If a pet is in a cage, she feels like she's the one in the cage.

We had a cocktail with an open cage who would safely move around the house and sing. My stupid ass grandma took the open cage outside to clean it and he flew away. Again, wild animal.

Hamsters? I don't care what you have. They will escape and go crazy. I'm not even going to go there...

Hamsters suck anyway. They stink, sqeal, bite, and make an ungodly amount of noise at night if you don't have a completley silent running wheel. I had a few sets of hamsters for about a year since they decided to mate and have offspring. Didn't enjoy having them at all really.

Rats and guinea pigs are way cooler anyway.

But yeah, back on topic, spiders.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cantido wrote: »

Hamsters suck anyway. They stink, sqeal, bite, and make an ungodly amount of noise at night if you don't have a completley silent running wheel. I had a few sets of hamsters for about a year since they decided to mate and have offspring. Didn't enjoy having them at all really.

Rats and guinea pigs are way cooler anyway.

But yeah, back on topic, spiders.

They stink even worse when they escape, crawl into a concaved vase and starve to death. D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    When I was younger, I had some anole lizards. One got loose from their terrarium when I was gone for a week. My mom found it in the medicine cabinet, perfectly mummified.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone considering keeping Pandinus Imperator (emperor scorpion) shouldn't be too afraid of the stinger. A good rule of thumb for scorpions and their venom is this: big claws mean they don't need as much venom as they're more likely to attempt to crush or slice something in their way with their claws. It's the scorpions with the small claws that you want to watch out for.

I have a good friend who bred Leiurus Quinquestriatus (Deathstalker Scorpions) and they are horrifying even at a young age. Since he had a relatively new batch, he asked me to go over to help separate and feed them, which was a bit more intimidating than I thought it would be. After separating them we decided to feed them, and they are brutal. The crickets we fed them would occasionally jump, carrying the scorpions with them, which resulted in the scorpion stinging it in midair and falling back down while already eating a dead cricket.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Scorpions and crabs have something in common. Something awesome and to some people terrifying. Their mouths are like wood chippers. If you look real close you will see extra grippers in the mouth area. Watch a crab eat sometime, it is awesome.

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have a good friend who bred Leiurus Quinquestriatus (Deathstalker Scorpions) and they are horrifying even at a young age.
    Anything that has the name of a villain from a out-of-control D&D campaign is disqualified as a pet.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    I have a good friend who bred Leiurus Quinquestriatus (Deathstalker Scorpions) and they are horrifying even at a young age.
    Anything that has the name of a villain from a out-of-control D&D campaign is disqualified as a pet.

In all fairness, this is the same guy who had a cobra get loose in his house once.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Always bring your own sleeping bag.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fonjo wrote: »
    Scorpions and crabs have something in common. Something awesome and to some people terrifying. Their mouths are like wood chippers. If you look real close you will see extra grippers in the mouth area. Watch a crab eat sometime, it is awesome.

Yeah, crabs are pretty awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2_YYQrYTAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpJ2uyUHR-o

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone considering keeping Pandinus Imperator (emperor scorpion) shouldn't be too afraid of the stinger. A good rule of thumb for scorpions and their venom is this: big claws mean they don't need as much venom as they're more likely to attempt to crush or slice something in their way with their claws. It's the scorpions with the small claws that you want to watch out for.

I am getting my degree in Entomology out here in Cali, and our department from time to time does outreaches to local schools. We have some larger insects that kids can handle such as phasmids (walking sticks) and hissing cockroaches. We also have some other arthropods including:
    Rose Tarantulas Deathstalker scorpions
    L_quinquestriatus2.jpg
    and Emperor scorpions
    Emperor_Scorpion_%28Pandinus_imperator%29.jpg
    which is pretty fun to handle since it generally freaks little children out and the one we have is fairly docile from all the instances of being handled by humans.

On another note, I saw one of these bad boys staring at me looking for a fight while I was on my way to the restroom at 4 in the morning.
    Skorpion_fg02.jpg
    Although I don't think there are many highly poisonous species of scorpions native to Southern California, that sure as hell didn't stop me from womping it with a towel and flushing it down the toilet.

Wazza on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fonjo wrote: »

Crab mouths are so cool. It's like a bunch of interlocking plates that just kind of slide over each other. Watching them eat is so weird.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Perfect thread for spider songs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWpz2OYf1QU

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Wazza wrote: »

I am getting my degree in Entomology out here in Cali, and our department from time to time does outreaches to local schools. We have some larger insects that kids can handle such as phasmids (walking sticks) and hissing cockroaches. We also have some other arthropods including:
    L_quinquestriatus2.jpg
    and Emperor scorpions
    which is pretty fun to handle since it generally freaks little children out and the one we have is fairly docile from all the instances of being handled by humans.

On another note, I saw one of these bad boys staring at me looking for a fight while I was on my way to the restroom at 4 in the morning.
    Skorpion_fg02.jpg
    Although I don't think there are many highly poisonous species of scorpions native to Southern California, that sure as hell didn't stop me from womping it with a towel and flushing it down the toilet.

You are awesome! I'm amazed that your bring the Deathstalkers out to show to kids at all though. I'm assuming it's one of the species that you have a "look don't touch" rule for. :P Do you do the fun "hold a pencil" trick with your Imperator?

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

:^:

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

:^:

I can't take anything seriously from a movie that portrays ants as basically tiny dogs.

Real ant? Would have carried those kids off as larvae food. Grub for grubs, if you will.

Didn't the sequel has a friendly harvestman?

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wazza wrote: »

L_quinquestriatus2.jpg
    and Emperor scorpions

Skorpion_fg02.jpg

you going to ucr? i remember the entomology department being pretty big there.

also oh gosh i am so glad i have never found a scorpion in my house

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Belruel wrote: »

Haha, there most likely aren't scorpions in your house, Bel.

There might, however, be pseudoscorpions:

787px-Ar_1.jpg

But take heart. These tiny guys eat harmful pests like silverfish.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    but see he is so tiny and has no wicked tail.

also i kill black widows all the time, all the time. an unreasonable amount of black widows i think. thankfully usually not in my room. i think it is because our backyard is a mess, and we are near the high school's farm and junk heap area (over the wall in our backyard, i hopped the wall to go to school when i was in high school)

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I like pseudoscorpions for the utterly graceless way they hitch rides on flying insects:

617px-Leptopeza.flavipes.with.Lamprochernes.2.jpg

Look at that lazy little thing. Doesn't even try to be unobtrusive, just grabs a leg and says "fly."

edit:
    Also a fun fact about pseudoscorpions: they spin cocoons when they need to molt or avoid rough weather!

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Grim OutlookGrim Outlook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    i somehow manage to walk into a spider web like once a week.

those things are impossible to get off, you always feel like there's still a string attached to you.

plus then there's the added worry that there's a spider somewhere on your body.

Grim Outlook on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ha, doing yardwork inevitably means riding a mower to the compost heap through the wooded back of the property. I've taken to carrying a rake and holding it lance style so that the tines will hit all the webs between the trees along the trail before I do.

My aunt's family has orange groves down in Florida. The tractors have upright wooden poles mounted on the grill to intercept webs between the trees. At the end of a day, those things will look like a stick of cotton candy.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Watching a spider make a web gives one a lot of respect as to just how difficult is is.

Imagine if they only way you could get food was by building a ladder whose pieces came out your butt.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thread title updated. Go nuts talking about scorpions and other badass little creatures too, I'm finding this thread very entertaining and fascinating so far :)

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was mowing out back a couple months ago when I noticed a web that had a silk strand that went from a leaf of a bush to the base of a pine tree where the bulk of the web was literally 15 feet away. I was amazed how he could build a web that was supported by such a crazy strand. It was a pain trying to mow around and not run into it.

JJ on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I had a hermit crab when I was a kid. I named him Homey the Homarid.

He died :(

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thread title updated. Go nuts talking about scorpions and other badass little creatures too, I'm finding this thread very entertaining and fascinating so far :)

I defy someone to find an arthropod more badass than the mantis shrimp (stomatopod). Take it away, Wikipedia!
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Around 400 species of mantis shrimp have currently been described worldwide; all living species are in the suborder Unipeltata [5]. They are commonly separated into two distinct groups determined by the manner of claws they possess:
    Squilla mantis, showing the spearing appendages

* Spearers are armed with spiny appendages topped with barbed tips, used to stab and snag prey.
    * Smashers, on the other hand, possess a much more developed club and a more rudimentary spear (which is nevertheless quite sharp and still used in fights between their own kind); the club is used to bludgeon and smash their meals apart. The inner aspect of the dactyl (the terminal portion of the appendage) can also possess a sharp edge, with which the animal can cut prey while it swims.

Both types strike by rapidly unfolding and swinging their raptorial claws at the prey, and are capable of inflicting serious damage on victims significantly greater in size than themselves. In smashers, these two weapons are employed with blinding quickness, with an acceleration of 10,400 g and speeds of 23 m/s from a standing start [6], about the acceleration of a .22 caliber bullet.[7][8] Because they strike so rapidly, they generate cavitation bubbles between the appendage and the striking surface [6]. The collapse of these cavitation bubbles produces measurable forces on their prey in addition to the instantaneous forces of 1,500 newton that are caused by the impact of the appendage against the striking surface, which means that the prey is hit twice by a single strike; first by the claw and then by the collapsing cavitation bubbles that immediately follow [9]. Even if the initial strike misses the prey, the resulting shock wave can be enough to kill or stun the prey.

The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from the collapsing bubble. This will produce a very small amount of light and high temperatures in the range of several thousand kelvin within the collapsing bubble, although both the light and high temperatures are too weak and short-lived to be detected without advanced scientific equipment. The light emission and temperature increase probably have no biological significance but are rather side-effects of the rapid snapping motion. Pistol shrimp produce this effect in a very similar manner.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Mantis shrimp possess hyperspectral colour vision, allowing up to 12 colour channels extending in the ultraviolet[10]. Their eyes (both mounted on mobile stalks and constantly moving about independently of each other) are similarly variably coloured, and are considered to be the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom.[11][12] They permit both serial and parallel analysis of visual stimuli.

Each compound eye is made up of up to 10,000 separate ommatidia of the apposition type. Each eye consists of two flattened hemispheres separated by six parallel rows of highly specialised ommatidia, collectively called the midband, which divides the eye into three regions. This is a design which makes it possible for mantis shrimp to see objects with three different parts of the same eye. In other words, each individual eye possesses trinocular vision and depth perception. The upper and lower hemispheres are used primarily for recognition of forms and motion, not colour vision, like the eyes of many other crustaceans.

Rows 1-4 of the midband are specialised for colour vision, from ultra-violet to infra-red. The optical elements in these rows have eight different classes of visual pigments and the rhabdom is divided into three different pigmented layers (tiers), each adapted for different wavelengths. The three tiers in rows 2 and 3 are separated by colour filters (intrarhabdomal filters) that can be divided into four distinct classes, two classes in each row. It is organised like a sandwich; a tier, a colour filter of one class, a tier again, a colour filter of another class, and then a last tier. Rows 5-6 are segregated into different tiers too, but have only one class of visual pigment (a ninth class) and are specialised for polarisation vision. They can detect different planes of polarised light. A tenth class of visual pigment is found in the dorsal and ventral hemispheres of the eye.

The midband only covers a small area of about 5°–10° of the visual field at any given instant, but like in most crustaceans, the eyes are mounted on stalks. In mantis shrimps the movement of the stalked eye is unusually free, and can be driven in all possible axes, up to at least 70°, of movement by eight individual eyecup muscles divided into six functional groups. By using these muscles to scan the surroundings with the midband, they can add information about forms, shapes and landscape which cannot be detected by the upper and lower hemisphere of the eye. They can also track moving objects using large, rapid eye movements where the two eyes move independently. By combining different techniques, including saccadic movements, the midband can cover a very wide range of the visual field.

Some species have at least 16 different photoreceptor types, which are divided into four classes (their spectral sensitivity is further tuned by colour filters in the retinas), 12 of them for colour analysis in the different wavelengths (including four which are sensitive to ultraviolet light) and four of them for analysing polarised light. By comparison, humans have only four visual pigments, three dedicated to see colour. The visual information leaving the retina seems to be processed into numerous parallel data streams leading into the central nervous system, greatly reducing the analytical requirements at higher levels.

At least two species have been reported to be able to detect circular polarized light [13][14]. The species Gonodactylus smithii is the first - and only - organism known to simultaneously detect the four linear, and two circular, polarization components required for Stokes parameters, which yield a full description of polarization. It is thus believed to have optimal polarization vision [14][15][16][17].
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Mantis shrimp appear to be highly intelligent. They are long-lived and exhibit complex behaviour, such as ritualised fighting. Some species use fluorescent patterns on their bodies for signaling with their own and maybe even other species, expanding their range of behavioural signals. They can learn and remember well, and are able to recognise individual neighbours with whom they frequently interact. They can recognise them by visual signs and even by individual smell. Many have developed complex social behaviour to defend their space from rivals.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I see your mantis shrimp and raise you a pistol shrimp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpheidae
    The snapping shrimp competes with much larger animals, like the Sperm Whale and Beluga Whale, for the title of 'loudest animal in the sea'. The shrimp snaps a specialized claw shut to create a cavitation bubble that generates acoustic pressures of up to 80 kPa at a distance of 4 cm from the claw. The pressure is strong enough to kill small fish and shatter glass.[7] It corresponds to a zero to peak pressure level of 218 decibels relative to one micropascal (dB re 1 μPa), equivalent to a zero to peak source level of 190 dB re 1 μPa at the standard reference distance of 1 m. Au and Banks measured peak to peak source levels between 185 and 190 dB re 1 μPa at 1 m, depending on the size of the claw.[8] Similar values are reported by Ferguson and Cleary.[9] The duration of the click is less than 1 millisecond.

The snap can also produce sonoluminescence from the collapsing cavitation bubble. As it collapses, the cavitation bubble reaches temperatures of over 5,000 K (4,726.85 degrees Celsius).[10] In comparison, the surface temperature of the sun is estimated to be around 5,778 K. The light is of lower intensity than the light produced by typical sonoluminescence and is not visible to the naked eye. It is most likely a by-product of the shock wave with no biological significance. However, it was the first known instance of an animal producing light by this effect. It has subsequently been discovered that another group of crustaceans, the mantis shrimp, contains species whose club-like forelimbs can strike so quickly and with such force as to induce sonoluminescent cavitation bubbles upon impact

Gaddez on
  • Options
    WazzaWazza Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Belruel wrote: »

I sure do go to ucr.

Oh, and I am a fan of
    bbeast11-05.jpg

Wazza on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Occasionally where I live we get cicada killer wasps (Sphecius):

Sphecius_speciosus_1.jpg

They look pretty intimidating, but they're actually quite docile. One once landed on my shoulder and ambled around for a while before I brushed it off. Apparently their stings don't hurt at all.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif