As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Actual working speech-to-text software

Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

Has anyone moderately-successfully used a note taking application to turn recorded speech into test?

Any recommendations?

Bryse Eayo on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    From what I understand, they're all still pretty much crap... though I've heard not-so-bad things about:

Dragon

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, dragon is, as I understand it, the best and most complete package out there.

Vista and Win 7 (not sure if all versions) come with this capability built in as well.

However, all of the more functional products essentially act the same... you can speak most words naturally, but you still have to dictate things like line breaks and punctuation. In addition to that, you will most likely spend some time training it on words that are not built in by default. Dragon, being a pay product, probably has the better default dictionary self learning process.

I actually was messing around with the one built into Vista a couple days ago... It's a bit of a mess to use when in straight dictation form... but I'd imagine it would get better... it was just missing a bunch of words from colloquial English... so I was spending as much time going back and correcting its mistakes as I was dictating... It was, however, asking me if I wanted to add words to the dictionary and it would pick them up afterwords... but sometimes it wouldn't add a word... so hit and miss.

Using it to control the PC was interesting however, combined with the tablet input on my laptop it actually would make for a good experience doing common tasks without a mouse or keyboard.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Has anyone moderately-successfully used a note taking application to turn recorded speech into test?

Any recommendations?

Are you talking about something that will covert your speech, or a lecturer's speech? If it's the latter, there's not really anything commercially available that can do that. All speech conversion software requires hours of training for it to be accurate.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Any recommendations?

If there was software that could do this reasonably well, there would no longer be a market for transcription. There is still a market for transcription.

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Daenris wrote: »
    If there was software that could do this reasonably well, there would no longer be a market for transcription. There is still a market for transcription.

That is more or less true, but it really depends what the OP is looking to do with it exactly. If he's looking to transcribe notes from a lecture or some such... then it's going to be just slightly above worthless as he will be left with, essentially, a gigantic run on sentence at best. At worst it will of course be a gigantic run on sentence with the added bonus of wrong words and potentially entire areas filled with gibberish.

If he's looking for something to dictate to his PC for whatever reason it can be perfectly serviceable. It really will depend heavily on their need and situation.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    GenlyAiGenlyAi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I searched for this a few weeks ago and also came to the conclusion that there's nothing out there that will help you unless you want to transcribe your own speech.

But I would like to see something that can semi-adequately handle like a lecture or a meeting. You wouldn't even have to be able to understand what was being said from the transcript. If the program got enough words right to make the recording findable from a text search on your computer, that would be awesome for me. And then the transcribed text could index into the recording so you could just hear what was being said at the time you cared about.

Maybe Dragon could approximately do this with its current capabilities, but I didn't spend the money to find out.

GenlyAi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That would be tough.. unless you had a high quality recording, or the lecturer recorded it in person (no noise, echo, others talking, etc) it would most likely be VERY sketchy at best how well it would work.

All of these programs have learning operations built into them... either by you going through an extensive "teaching" phase, via automatic processes as you work, or both. So you would probably have to set it up with a lecture under the same/similar circumstances, play it back to the program and let it do its thing, and then go back and correct it to help it learn... probably a few times in a row.

It still would most likely not handle things like punctuation or paragraphs, but in the best case it would give you a gigantic wall of text that was at least close to correct in terms of word for word transcription.

If it was a short lecture, that could probably be gone through quickly in order to correct all of that... but anything substantial would probably take entirely too long.

EclecticGroove on
This discussion has been closed.