Options

Week o Games, 10/25: DJ Hero, PC borderlands, R&C CiT, Forza 3, Tekken 6, Torchlight

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 87 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 10/25/09 - 10/31/09!

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

518eY9VZeSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Nostalgia

614UJP-hOkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island

611rO3zxQtL._AA280_.jpg

Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

51g2O4OuW-L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

System: Flaw

Hasbro Family Game Night
PictureBook Games: The Royal Bluff
SpongeBob's Truth or Square
Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader? Game Time
Sudoku(DSiWare)
The Backyardigans
100 All-Time Favorites

Barbie and the Three Musketeers
BEN 10: ALIEN FORCE Vilgax Attacks
Chronicles of Mystery: Curse of the Ancient Temple
CSI: Deadly Intent - The Hidden Cases
Diner Dash: Flo on the Go

Dream Salon
Hidden Mysteries: Titanic
Petz Dolphinz Encounter
Press Your Luck 2010 Edition
Safari Adventures Africa
SimAnimals Africa
Sushi Academy

Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure

PC

ss6.jpg-720x540.jpg

Torchlight

61mwujUVfwL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Borderlands

51KeBzJZcRL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

FIFA Soccer 10

51HukcxqWEL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Painkiller: Resurrection

Ninja Blade (not sure about release)

Saw

FIFA Manager 10.

Football Manager 2010

Barbie: 3 Musketeers
Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life
League of Legends: Clash of Fates

The Stronghold Collection

King's Bounty: Armored Princess
Alganon
Fort Zombie
Kate's Fix it Up Adventure

STATIC: Investigator Training

PS2

61mGZyNiVDL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

DJ Hero

Ni Hao, Kai-Lan: Super Game Day
DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 3
DanceDanceRevolution X2 (Bundle)

PS3

61k%2BZkR7gEL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

DJ Hero

51YHGHDVAHL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time

61o70-bbPTL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Tekken 6

51jXRPOE5FL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
Fairytale Fights

PSP

51CUWQvi0fL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Mytran Wars

Adventures to Go
Petz Dogz Family
Petz Hamsterz Bunch
Petz: Saddle Club

Wii

41jFeWyRGKL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

DJ Hero

51cWlCxUVAL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter

Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 3: Lair of the Leviathan

Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Golden Axe

Arcade Shooter: Illvelo

DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 3 (Bundle)

Ghost Mansion Party

Hasbro Family Game Night 2
Nerf 2: N-Strike Elite
Ni Hao, Kai-Lan: Super Game Day

World of Zoo

All Star Cheer Squad 2
Arcade Shooting Gallery
Arcade Shooting Gallery with Gun
Barbie and the Three Musketeers
Big League Sports: Winter Sports
Cocoto Surprise
CSI: Deadly Intent
DanceDanceRevolution
DanceDanceRevolution Hottest Party 3
Dreamworks Madagascar Kartz
Geon Cube
iCarly
Jewel Quest Mysteries
Monster 4x4: Stunt Racer
Monster 4x4: Stunt Racer (w/Wheel)
Mountain Sports
Safari Adventures Africa
SimAnimals Africa
Vegas Party
Water Sports

Xbox360

416kPwurjOL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Forza Motorsport 3

51CZ-tKOU4L._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Tekken 6

51pgA3LLCxL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

DJ Hero

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony

61czgLG%2BD3L._SL160_AA115_.jpg
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Fairytale Fights

CSI: Deadly Intent

Fall games continue.

I think System Flaw, the DSi exclusive comes out this week. I think. Possibly.
NDS does get an NIS RPG of sorts called Atelier Annie. Probably has to do with the other Atelier game that they've released on NDS. Drawn to Life 2 also comes out.

Also apparently the game Nostalgia comes to NDS as well.

PC gets its version of Borderlands, finally, so that's good. PC also gets PainkIller Ressurection. Looks good. PC version of Ninja Blade miiight be coming out too but the release date is questionable.

DJ Hero comes out for all.

PS3 gets: R&C A Crack in Time should be quite fun.
360 gets: Forza 3
Both HD systems get: Tekken 6

PSP gets Myrtran Wars; I dont know anything else about it.

Wii gets the new Drawn to Life and some other stuff, but the Wii's digital distro stuff is pretty good this week (Zombies ate my Neighbors, and Monkey Island, and Golden Axe).

I'm also showing Ballad of Gay Tony for 360 this week along with Liberty City Stories

Torchlight for PC comes out this week too. Looks like a good diablo-esque game

slash000 on

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nostalgia comes out this week for the DS as well, according to Amazon.

Artereis on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People buying new releases this week might want to know about Amazon's buy $80 in Wii, 360 PS3 games get a $40 code for same. Details here

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    GTA: Liberty City Episodes releases Thursday, and I'm pretty sure it's a 360 exclusive, as both its component parts (The Lost and the Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony) are DLC exclusives.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    GTA: Liberty City Episodes releases Thursday, and I'm pretty sure it's a 360 exclusive, as both its component parts (The Lost and the Damned and the Ballad of Gay Tony) are DLC exclusives.

That's what I thought but I couldn't quite remember.

slash000 on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It seems like in just about every "I got a PS3, what games do I get" thread, people mention RCF:ToD. Personally, I loved that game, it was probably the first one on that platform I beat. I've been looking forward to the new one since I finished that one and yet, it seems like there has been pretty limited discussion on the new one (RCF: A Crack in Time). What gives? Does it suck? I thought the one demo was pretty good.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm guessing a lot of people know what to expect from a R&C game nowadays so there's not really much to discuss. Add that to the abysmal marketing Sony/Insomniac have been doing for it (including a whooping 5 seconds of footage at their E3 conference), how disappointing Resistance 2 was last year and the terrible release date timing and... Yeah...

I still hope it does well though, since it's Insomniac's good franchise.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Picking up DJ Hero tomorrow morning!

I'm sure Ratchet and Clank will be good (as they tend to be), but they are feeling really damn samey by this point, so I'm hoping they mix it up a little and pleasantly surprise me when I finally grab it in like December or something.

I'll pick up Episodes from Liberty City at some point later on as well. Finished the game on PS3 and never got to play Lost and Damned.

Another Tekken...we'll talk if they brought back Tekken Force.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I saw Nostalgia at a Gamestop last Saturday so either it broke release date or it came out last week. I almost bought it but I ended up getting more PSN points instead (for Crimson Gem Saga).

My XBox Live Indie Game (Epiphany in Spaaace! - an interactive novel that spoofs the sci-fi genre) came out mid-last week so every buy it, okay? :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've found I have a powerful craving for some R&C lately - CiT picked the perfect release window, as far as my appetites are concerned.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I saw Nostalgia at a Gamestop last Saturday so either it broke release date or it came out last week. I almost bought it but I ended up getting more PSN points instead (for Crimson Gem Saga).

My XBox Live Indie Game (Epiphany in Spaaace! - an interactive novel that spoofs the sci-fi genre) came out mid-last week so every buy it, okay? :)

Nostalgia's release date has been weird. I think that this happens sometimes with really niche publishers.

Gamestop is showing it having come out last week too but other retailers are showing this week.

Either way it looks like a pretty cool game so might as well mention it.

Also last I heard you made almost 300 sales of your Interactive novel at $1 a piece? I dunno what you were expecting, but if you ask me, that's pretty good. Good rating too at 3/5 stars. For a first shot at XBLA Indie games I'd say you're doing pretty well so far.

I'd totally buy it for a dollah if I had a 360.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Also last I heard you made almost 300 sales of your Interactive novel at $1 a piece? I dunno what you were expecting, but if you ask me, that's pretty good. Good rating too at 3/5 stars. For a first shot at XBLA Indie games I'd say you're doing pretty well so far.

I'd totally buy it for a dollah if I had a 360.

I'm pretty excited about how it's doing. It's not going to let me quit my day job just yet, but it seems to indicate to me that if I keep at this and do my best to make each game better and better, that in the future, I could turn this into a full-time career. I already have several ideas on some awesome things to do with future games so we'll see how those go.

And hey, if my first game can sell around 300 copies in less than a week with next to no advertising AND get a respectable user rating, it shows that there's a market for text-based games on modern consoles. I was so scared that I'd release my game, only 10 people would buy it, and the masses would give it the minimum rating just to be punks. It pleases me greatly that this didn't happen.

On a related note, all XBox Live Indie games that were previously 200 MS points and had not been manually changed to one of the new price points have automatically been set to 80 points. In honor of this, I wrote a short article about 10 Indie Games that are well worth the 80 points: http://zeboyd.com/?p=34

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, your game is out?

Cool, I'm gonna purchase it right now. I've been wondering what to do with this odd value of MS points I have...more than a dollar, slightly less than two.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ratchet and Clank.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Let me get this straight. DJ Hero is coming out tomorrow in the US and has only had one review and predictably, it's a high scoring one? This bodes well.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Let me get this straight. DJ Hero is coming out tomorrow in the US and has only had one review and predictably, it's a high scoring one? This bodes well.

Remember when this same thing happened for Batman?

This stuff happens all the time. Embargos seem to be in place till release day very often, with poor and well-reviewed titles alike.

All impressions (not just from IGN) have been glowing. I expect it to be a really great game that sells rather poorly due to price.

But I'm doing my part!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

This stuff happens all the time. Embargos seem to be in place till release day very often, with poor and well-reviewed titles alike.

All impressions (not just from IGN) have been glowing. I expect it to be a really great game that sells rather poorly due to price.

But I'm doing my part!

No I don't, because there were already like 20 Arkham Asylum reviews out before its release. Whereas Activision have timed DJ Hero's review embargo to end after its release, except for the review that sounds like it was written by a PR lackey.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Press your Luck, eh? NO WHAMMY!

Also, Ni-Hao Kai-Lan?

OH SHI-

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I dunno, I think there's hope that DJ Hero will be a good game.

Will it be successful is another question.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

But I'm doing my part!

No I don't, because there were already like 20 Arkham Asylum reviews out before its release. Whereas Activision have timed DJ Hero's review embargo to end after its release, except for the review that sounds like it was written by a PR lackey.

Here, two more reviews.

But by all means, keep hating it for no reason whatsoever even though embargos are a very, very common thing and are typically not indicative of quality.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, RainbowDespair.

I've contracted a terrible disease and am now dead.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm really interested in DJ Hero, especially after they announced Daft Punk did some mixes for the game. I just don't have the scratch to get it right now.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    I'm really interested in DJ Hero, especially after they announced Daft Punk did some mixes for the game. I just don't have the Scratch to get it right now.

I see what you did there.

• Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    People buying new releases this week might want to know about Amazon's buy $80 in Wii, 360 PS3 games get a $40 code for same. Details here

Dang, for a moment I thought it was a "get two games, get $40 off" kind of deal. I was kind of hoping of getting a couple copies of Borderlands for a friend and I.

Still a coo' deal though.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was going to pick up Borderlands for PC, but I'm leaning towards holding off and picking up just Torchlight and then Dragon Age next week.

Kelor on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, a short while ago I bought Ratchet & Clank Future. Now, I've never actually played a R & C game before, but since I'm generally a big fan of platformers, I figured I should give it ago. And since one of the primary complaints about the series is that it's "samey", I figured it would be a good starting point.

But, seriously, is there something I'm missing here? It's just incredibly boring to me. You run, and you shoot, and the enemies just stand there. There's nothing attractive about the shooting mechanics themselves, there is absolutely no challenge whatsoever, and the platform elements are as rudimentary as can be. So, what's left? Creative weaponry? Sure, but I honestly had to fight to stay awake during the first two missions, and this is not something that usually happens to me in any game.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    So, a short while ago I bought Ratchet & Clank Future. Now, I've never actually played a R & C game before, but since I'm generally a big fan of platformers, I figured I should give it ago. And since one of the primary complaints about the series is that it's "samey", I figured it would be a good starting point.

But, seriously, is there something I'm missing here? It's just incredibly boring to me. You run, and you shoot, and the enemies just stand there. There's nothing attractive about the shooting mechanics themselves, there is absolutely no challenge whatsoever, and the platform elements are as rudimentary as can be. So, what's left? Creative weaponry? Sure, but I honestly had to fight to stay awake during the first two missions, and this is not something that usually happens to me in any game.

Well for better or for worse, the first level is one of the more "exciting" ones with the city under attack and all the scripted splosions and such. So it may not be your cup of tea. It does get better as you go, and a you may or may not get completely addicted to leveling up your weapons. I know I sort of felt the same on my first playthrough a couple years ago but I recently did my New Game+ and actually loved it. (In New Game+ you continue to level all your weapons, and get a "Bolt Multiplier" that keeps increasing until you get hit. Important if you want to buy the Omega versions of the weapons which cost millions of bolts). I know a lot of people say this game is too easy but honestly things get pretty batshit crazy by the end of the game.

Also, Quest for Booty was a lot funnier and more creative even though it was so short. Based on the demo and reviews I have really high hopes for Crack in Time.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Thanks, RainbowDespair.

I've contracted a terrible disease and am now dead.

Any time. :)

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This thread needs more Torchlight love.

It doesn't deserve to be buried down there with Press Your Luck.

Maybe slash thinks the name is awesome enough to stand out on it's own?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This thread needs more Torchlight love.

It doesn't deserve to be buried down there with Press Your Luck.

Maybe slash thinks the name is awesome enough to stand out on it's own?

Try as I may, I can't always keep up with what every awesome game is every week.

Anything I miss becomes up to others in this thread to inform us all about it.

What exactly is Torchlight?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nevermind:
    AKA: "THIS GAME LOOKS TOO MUCH LIKE DIABLO III WHAT A BUNCH OF RIPOFFS DIE IN A FIRE FAILSHIP"

Torchlight! It's an action RPG by Runic Games, which consists of folks who made the Diablo games, Fate, and most recently were developing the ill-fated Mythos for Flagship. For those of us who played Mythos, Torchlight is likely already a day one purchase, but for those horrible people who never did, I guess some information should be shared.

First off, it's single-player only. Yeah, I know, it sucks, but we can deal with it. The game is also a sort of "feeler arm" by Runic in order to establish a brand and raise some more capital in order to produce an MMO version, hopefully with similar combat. Second, it plays more or less like any other isometric ARPG. Point mouse, click mouse, kill mans, loot the bodies, kill bosses, etc. Third, and probably most importantly, it comes with a robust suite of modding tools, and from the info we've seen so far, the community should hopefully be able to produce some quality stuff.

Since I am pretty universally terrible at OPs, here is some stuff from Runic's site:

* Randomization – Our level layouts are randomly created, so each adventure is unique. Monsters, treasures, puzzles, and items are also different each time you embark on an adventure.
    * Easy, approachable interface – Torchlight is designed to be easy to play right from the beginning. The intuitive interface gives players easy access to a rich and varied world.
    * Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks to new characters.
    * Pets – Players will choose a pet to accompany them. Pets can level up along with the player, and will help in battle, carry items, and perform a variety of helpful services.
    * Character Classes – Players will create and customize a character and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character will be custom-tailored and different.
    * Fishing – Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to visit one of the fishing holes and relax and see what they can catch. Fish have interesting benefits for the player and pet, and other rewards can also be discovered
    * Editor – Runic Games is embracing our modding community by providing an editor so our players can create and design their own content.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyVzDoAFTXk&feature=player_embedded

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wonder how B:L feels about the online multiplayer in Tekken 6.....

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wonder how B:L feels about the online multiplayer in Tekken 6.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdDMrncAy4U

But seriously, it's so random. I haven't seen netcode this inconsistent. No, not between matches. Between PEOPLE.

There are those that are experiencing great netplay. Some of those swear by the 360 and think the whiners are from the PS3 side. Some of those swear by the PS3 and think the whiners are from the 360 side.

Then there's me with a good upload speed, NAT1, ports open, and still chugging along with green bars on the PS3.

What the hell.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    Haha, well, I've read at least one review that says that the lag is extremely inconsistent. So it doesn't sound like you're alone.

I just brought it up because Tekken 6's out and I know you'd be getting it. I also knew that you generally play Tekken at high levels and I was wondering how much online lag affected you.

slash000 on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Anyone else find it amusing that the DSI exclusive is called System: Flaw?

Just me?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Haha, well, I've read at least one review that says that the lag is extremely inconsistent. So it doesn't sound like you're alone.

I just brought it up because Tekken 6's out and I know you'd be getting it. I also knew that you generally play Tekken at high levels and I was wondering how much online lag affected you.

Are you guys on the PS3 version? Because I need people to play against(ie kick my ass because I haven't played since T3).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I bought DJ hero thursday, played all night, loved it, even tho I'm not a hip hip hip-hop fan and I don't know most of the artists in the game. But MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice together? Sign me up mothafucka!

Last night I played again and I got really pissed at sucking at medium. I just miss too many of those blue stratching parts and I can't decide on which side I should put the controller.

Still it's a good game even if a little overpriced but hey I'm a sucker for plastic look-a-likes.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think it looks quite fun. The barrier to my buying it, though, is the fact that I have a ginormous backlog that I need to tackle before buying anything else. And secondly, DJ Hero is expensive. And thirdly, well, I'm sorta burned out ish on the whole plastic instrument gaming thing. I'm not sure I could justify buying it in the state of burned-out-ness that I'm in.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think it looks quite fun. The barrier to my buying it, though, is the fact that I have a ginormous backlog that I need to tackle before buying anything else. And secondly, DJ Hero is expensive. And thirdly, well, I'm sorta burned out ish on the whole plastic instrument gaming thing. I'm not sure I could justify buying it in the state of burned-out-ness that I'm in.

This is actually probably one of the best purchases that can be made for someone that's burned out on the plastic instrument thing.

It couldn't be more different from RB or GH.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UbuRoiAAUbuRoiAA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It couldn't be more different from RB or GH.

So true. Well, except if you play the guitar part in 2 players mode.

UbuRoiAA on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why am I not seeing a thread for DJ Hero on the forum? My roomie just came home with it and it's amazing.

Henroid on