Options

October - Gaming Chokepoint.

2»

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Crap....and I just realized The new Wheel of time book came out today.

Maybe if i eliminate sleeping.....

The new ones are by the new author, right, since RJ passed away?

Maybe the new ones will actually get back to being fun to read, unlike the recent WOT books.

After the fourth some odd book, story progression in the series began to move at a snail's pace.

The new author is Brandon Sanderson. He's a really nice guy (He was my creative writing teacher at BYU for a class) & his other novels are really enjoyable (I'm reading his Mistborn trilogy right now). For the Wheel of Time books, he's trying to stay as close to the original author as possible (he wrote a ton of notes about how things were supposed to go before his death), but of course, he's having to fill in a lot of the gaps.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I know a little about Robert Jordan and what he left behind. He used to be next door neighbors to a family friend, many, many, many years ago.

I'm actually a pretty big WOT fan, but I've been pretty disappointed with the books in the latter half of the series.

But I have not yet read any of Sanderson's WOT books as of yet.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, I know a little about Robert Jordan and what he left behind. He used to be next door neighbors to a family friend, many, many, many years ago.

I'm actually a pretty big WOT fan, but I've been pretty disappointed with the books in the latter half of the series.

First one came out today. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    There isn't actually that much I'm interested in for the remainder of the year. Assassin's Creed 2, Dragon Age, maybe NSMB Wii, if the single player turns out alright. I still haven't gotten Uncharted 2, but I can't think of anything else I'm really looking forward to. Modern Warfare 2 can go die in a fire.

Just cancelled my preorder. I was getting the 360 version first and eventually the PC version when it started to get old and I wanted to play mods and such, but fuck that.

More time for Borderlands.

IW can seriously go die in a fire. The thing with screwing PC players is many of us are also console players, and we'll just say FU and not get any version of your game.

But yeah, Demon's Souls, Borderlands, Dragon Age: Origin (wasn't interested originally but now I sorta am), and L4D2 (wasn't interested in this either but eh, preorder bonuses get me, but now I have that, I may just wait for a price drop for the actual game). Then the free weekend of KF meant I got back to playing that too, leaving even less time for all these other games.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    They're not really screwing you guys over. They just decided not to include stuff you want. It's not like they put it in there, went "Fuck those guys," and then took it back out.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    please dont start up that discussion in here. theres already a thread for that discussion, and the mw2 thread too.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I work at a Blockbuster and will rent everything I want in December, when exams are over. All I need is Brutal Legend and it's delicious multiplayer, Call of Duty in November, and Left 4 Dead, which is the only thing my brother plays.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Thanks for the reminder, just ordered from amazon. I haven't been buying books unless I can get them on my kindle App but made an exception for this one. I really liked the last book, actually I love them all, but particulary Matt and Tuon's story was kicking my ass. RJ has pretty much been my favorite forever and he died on my birthday, kinda fitting I suppose.

corin7 on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you people taking advantage of the amount of sales that have been going on lately? The TRU sale, the Amazon sale, the Best Buy Sale, another Amazon sale...I know I'll be kicking myself when I want to buy games later and I'll have to get them at 60 when I could get them now at 40 and not play them for a while as I work through my backlog.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is on my Christmas list I gave to my parents (which means I can't buy them until at least after Christmas, ugh):
    • God of War Collection (PS3)
    • Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
    • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (Wii)
    • Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
    • Assassin's Creed 2 (360)
    • Dragon Age: Origins (360)
    • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360)
    • New Super Mario Bros: Wii (Wii)
    • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)

Let's hope I don't bite the bullet and buy any of these...

urahonky on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you people taking advantage of the amount of sales that have been going on lately? The TRU sale, the Amazon sale, the Best Buy Sale, another Amazon sale...I know I'll be kicking myself when I want to buy games later and I'll have to get them at 60 when I could get them now at 40 and not play them for a while as I work through my backlog.

Its these sales that through made me buy all kinds of games up. A couple of the games I picked up were just for that third needed game for the B2G1.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They are tearing me apart, Lisa!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't know if this is normal or not, but money is pretty tight for me right now, so on a whim I was checking out Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls on ebay, and was surprised to find both of them around the $20 range with a few hours to go. Multiple auctions as well.

If this isn't just some freak accident I may have just found how I'll be buying games from now on. I can wait a week or two to save $40.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At the Toys'r'us sale I picked up Brutal Legend/Uncharted 2/Bayonetta(yeah, that doesn't come out until next year but it worked). With the spend $80 get a $40 GC from Amazon, I picked up Dead Space: Extraction/A Boy and his Blob. Dragon Age and NSMB:Wii are on preorder. As for the rest of the year there's still Silent Hill(Wii) and FF:CB to pick up. Assassin's Creed 2 I'll get eventually when the PC version comes out as that's what I have AC1 on. Curse you sales!

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here's my October/November buy list, in order of purchase:
    • Scribblenauts (DS)
    • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    • Brutal Legend (PS3)
    • STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC)
    • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time (PS3)
    • Dragon Age (PS3)
    • God of War Collection (PS3) - Import
    • Way of the Samurai 3 (PS3) - Import

I know it's weird that I've got a great PC and am still getting the PS3 version of Dragon Age but there's a couple of reasons. The first is that I've already got an overwhelming PC backlog and I don't want to add to it. The second is that the delayed PS3 release (in PAL regions) gives me plenty of time to play Brutal Legend and R&C beforehand. It's still weird but I figure I can buy the PC version somewhere down the line too.

I'm also planning on renting out Assassin's Creed 2, Tekken 6 and The Saboteur. Tekken 6 looks too much like Tekken 5.3 for my liking, while the other two I'm cautious of (Assassin's Creed because the first was mediocre and Saboteur because Pandemic haven't made a really good game for years).

There's a few downloadable titles that I want to pick up too (like PixelJunk Shooter) but I've no clue when they're getting released so I won't bother listing them.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is normal or not, but money is pretty tight for me right now, so on a whim I was checking out Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls on ebay, and was surprised to find both of them around the $20 range with a few hours to go. Multiple auctions as well.

If this isn't just some freak accident I may have just found how I'll be buying games from now on. I can wait a week or two to save $40.

I just checked Ebay and Uncharted 2 is going for around $40 with a few minutes left. My guess is what happened is with all the B2G1 sales going on some people bought more than one copy hoping to save some money as B2G1 sales come out to $40 each for 360/PS3 games.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »

There might be some people who have their bids preset to bid until like, 45 or 50. Ebay is great for some things, but you have to be okay with the agonizing defeats every now and then (a lot of the time, actually)

edit: Trying to bid on this Demon's Souls, but it doesn't say if it's the Japanese version or not. Too risky to bid just yet.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png