As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Job Situation and the Handling Thereof

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I work two jobs (did?). One is on campus in my college's computer lab checking out computers and stuff. Really easy job.

I then was offered a job by an old supervisor to do some graphic design and other minor work at the business he owns like 20 minutes up the road from Norman.

It worked out pretty well for the most part, then my Friday shift the computer lab job switched me shifts and it messed with my hours at the other job.

My boss, Steve, that had me doing graphical stuff convinced me to ask for Friday's off so I could work all day for him. It created a bit of a fuss, but my other boss understand I was making better money there and found someone to cover my shift.

Well I worked for Steve for a week with this new schedule and worked all day for the following Friday.

Now he doesn't have any hours for me to come in and do anything and I'm missing out on guaranteed hours I DID have at the computer lab job.

How do I bring this up to Steve? Ultimately I was the one who decided to do it, but he convinced me and made it sound like I were going to have guaranteed hours and now there's been none for the past 3 weeks. If nothing else that's 9 hours I could have worked on those Fridays as opposed to... none.

I want to make sure I handle it tactfully, but I don't want to be a push over about it either.

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey, Steve, I have a question for you.

Is there going to be any more full days of work on Fridays, like 3 weeks ago? I had to alter my schedule and drop hours at my other job to take on the duties you had here on Friday. I'm happy to do the work if there's work to be done here, but if you don't see it being that busy, I'm probably going to need to pick up some hours back at the computer lab. What do you see Friday being like here, long term?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Erandus wrote: »

Is there going to be any more full days of work on Fridays, like 3 weeks ago? I had to alter my schedule and drop hours at my other job to take on the duties you had here on Friday. I'm happy to do the work if there's work to be done here, but if you don't see it being that busy, I'm probably going to need to pick up some hours back at the computer lab. What do you see Friday being like here, long term?

This sums it up well.

Maybe open it up to other days, or see what Steve thinks would be a good regular schedule. If he can he say they'll be two days of solid work a week, could you arrange your lab schedule around it?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Erandus wrote: »

This is perfect. Maybe replace "Excuse me" with "Hey" and "Steve" with "Sir"

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Well it's not even just on Friday's, he has no consistent work for me anymore, but this sounds like the best way to go. Thanks guys.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Then just alter the references of "Friday" and ask him if he's willing to work out a more regular schedule for you.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]