As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]liai Arena

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hachface wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The theme would keep sexist people out regardless of what you call it.

Hell, in Fresno state most of the women in the Women's Studies class were sexist dipshits too.

At my college a lot of people gotrandomly dumped into a women's literature course as their freshman literature/composition seminar.

The professors who teach this motley lot are a brave sort.

Being an English major, Feminist discourse showed up in most of my classes.

One of the teachers was sarcastic about the whole thing and just said "Another case of women dragging men down!" or something every time we read one of the stories about horrible sexist views like The Yellow Wallpaper.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    morning [chat].

BobCesca on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Man Pony, I mean it's one thing to have self-esteem issues, and another entirely to say you were offended and it bothered the shit out of you when people were saying you are a cool dude.

I... guess?

Call it being quirky, if you like.

I just don't like the idea of people completely losing sight of me being a basically shitty person and confusing being entertaining for being good. The idea of someone doing a thread to basically talk about me and how awesome I have offends me because it'll inevitably turn into people losing sight of how they oughta see someone like me, and I don't want that.

I try hard to be a good person. That doesn't mean I am one. Effort shouldn't be confused for legitimacy.

Alright, fair enough. I was honestly asking because I was wondering why you acted so offended to that. I originally thought it was locked because you just thought it was silly or something, not because it really bothered you.

But the paragraph in the middle is still probably not a healthy view of yourself or reaction to praise. And I don't exactly agree with "confusing entertaining for being good." It's not like people thought you were awesome because of the stories you tell about the horrible things you've done, there are legitimate reasons why you're an entertaining and funny person.

And the part at the end about them "losing sight of how they oughta see me" is really fucking weird. You don't decide how people oughta see you. They decide for themselves how they view you.

I attempt to exert a lot of command over how people perceive me, actually, and for the most part I do so successfully. Periodically it gets out of line and I make efforts to correct it.

Unreasonable and unhealthy? Perhaps. I am hardly a poster boy for healthy psychological operation. Nonetheless, I find outwards praise unsettling and given without moderation to be depressing, so I will make efforts to combat that. Sometimes it means squelching the conversation, other times it means character-assassinating myself by showing them a side of me that is hardly worth praise.

All things tempered and in moderation. I am not comfortable with being beloved or overtly praised. Every time one of my posts gets sent to the Awesome forum, I wince and often I 1-star it to bring the average down so it will get less attention.

There's quite a few whose opinions I respect and I wouldn't want those opinions to become unrealistic.

Alright then, now I at least understand your reaction and will respect your wishes in the future. Again, I don't think that's a very healthy behavior, but this is coming from someone who smokes cigarettes and has a number of unhealthy psychological behaviors, so when I say that it's out of concern, not berating you for it.

But like I said, at least now I understand.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I mean I can't pretend I'm totally sensitive to all plights out there far and wide

Or even that I'm aware of when I'm being insensitive or thoughtless towards the struggles of the less fortunate (in terms of societal discrimination or whatevs)

But sometimes I read stuff and go "man, what the hell"

And I just... wither away a little inside.

if i don't do this to myself at least once a day i consider the day wasted

luckily it is very easy

Rust on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also I am so damn glad that Aaron gets it

If he didn't, you would tie him up and beat him :P

James on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    It must be really awful and scary to have blackouts or split personalities or whatever where you don't recall the lost time. What if you rape and murder someone. That is so terrible. Like... it's one thing to get drunk and 'not remember' killing someone but what if it's just some sort of internal disorder that you can't mitigate or prevent via a responsible lifestyle?

Often I find myself intensely thankful for being a relatively healthy person.

Organichu on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think my biggest facepalm bit had to be when our class had just discussed at length how insane our culture's standard of beauty is for women, and how unattainable it is because people are born with different body types and the models are photoshopped anyway and etc etc.

And then right after one of the women in the class says, "Yeah, guys have it so easy compared to us. They just have to put some work into and they can look just like male models."

Of course, that particular woman was always a little slow on the uptake in that class.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It must be really awful and scary to have blackouts or split personalities or whatever where you don't recall the lost time. What if you rape and murder someone. That is so terrible. Like... it's one thing to get drunk and 'not remember' killing someone but what if it's just some sort of internal disorder that you can't mitigate or prevent via a responsible lifestyle?

Often I find myself intensely thankful for being a relatively healthy person.

multiple personality disorder of that variety's incredibly fucking rare if not totally nonexistent

it's the kind of thing you find more in bad fiction than real life

getting really drunk and finding out you did horrible things without knowing is very common though!

Rust on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man Pony, I mean it's one thing to have self-esteem issues, and another entirely to say you were offended and it bothered the shit out of you when people were saying you are a cool dude.

I... guess?

Call it being quirky, if you like.

I just don't like the idea of people completely losing sight of me being a basically shitty person and confusing being entertaining for being good. The idea of someone doing a thread to basically talk about me and how awesome I have offends me because it'll inevitably turn into people losing sight of how they oughta see someone like me, and I don't want that.

I try hard to be a good person. That doesn't mean I am one. Effort shouldn't be confused for legitimacy.

Alright, fair enough. I was honestly asking because I was wondering why you acted so offended to that. I originally thought it was locked because you just thought it was silly or something, not because it really bothered you.

But the paragraph in the middle is still probably not a healthy view of yourself or reaction to praise. And I don't exactly agree with "confusing entertaining for being good." It's not like people thought you were awesome because of the stories you tell about the horrible things you've done, there are legitimate reasons why you're an entertaining and funny person.

And the part at the end about them "losing sight of how they oughta see me" is really fucking weird. You don't decide how people oughta see you. They decide for themselves how they view you.

I attempt to exert a lot of command over how people perceive me, actually, and for the most part I do so successfully. Periodically it gets out of line and I make efforts to correct it.

Unreasonable and unhealthy? Perhaps. I am hardly a poster boy for healthy psychological operation. Nonetheless, I find outwards praise unsettling and given without moderation to be depressing, so I will make efforts to combat that. Sometimes it means squelching the conversation, other times it means character-assassinating myself by showing them a side of me that is hardly worth praise.

All things tempered and in moderation. I am not comfortable with being beloved or overtly praised. Every time one of my posts gets sent to the Awesome forum, I wince and often I 1-star it to bring the average down so it will get less attention.

There's quite a few whose opinions I respect and I wouldn't want those opinions to become unrealistic.

Alright then, now I at least understand your reaction and will respect your wishes in the future. Again, I don't think that's a very healthy behavior, but this is coming from someone who smokes cigarettes and has a number of unhealthy psychological behaviors, so when I say that it's out of concern, not berating you for it.

But like I said, at least now I understand.

thanks man

for what it's worth i was never actually angry with you about it since i knew that you didn't really understand why that sort of thing upsets me

at the time i should've taken the time to PM you about it, and for that i am sorry

so

we cool!

Pony on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    James wrote: »
    Also I am so damn glad that Aaron gets it

If he didn't, you would tie him up and beat him :P

I would break up with him, leaving him only a single red rose to remember me by.

He would hang out outside my apartment and lick my windows in an attempt to recapture our magic.

Animal Control would be by with a tranq gun shortly after.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've never drank to the point that I've blacked out. And I am very, VERY happy with that.

Honestly I think if I ever blacked out from drinking I would probably never drink again, that would just put me off so much.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    I used to sleepwalk when I was younger. One time I pissed all over my mom's face when sleeping and then tried to go to school at 3 AM.

I guess I'm glad I never raped anyone. :(

Organichu on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to sleepwalk when I was younger. One time I pissed all over my mom's face when sleeping and then tried to go to school at 3 AM.

O_O

Now I'm definitely never having kids.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I used to sleepwalk too Organ!

I peed in a closet once, I guess my sleeping self thought it was the bathroom.

One time I sleep walked down the stairs and was unlocking the front door to go look for our cat that was missing before my mother (who is luckily a very light sleeper) heard what was going on and raced down to stop me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

O_O

If getting peed on is the worst thing that happens to you in a life of parenting, then you have surely been blessed.

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

O_O

one guy committed a double murder or something while sleepwalking

he was diagnosed with an incredibly rare neurological disorder and acquited

and now presumably sleeps handcuffed to something heavy

Rust on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    if someone in your class was going to give an informative speech on film, what topic would you find interesting?

I think I've done the move to digital before, not opposed to doing it again.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Jesus christ if I murdered someone while sleeping I think I would try to never ever sleep again.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The theme would keep sexist people out regardless of what you call it.

Hell, in Fresno state most of the women in the Women's Studies class were sexist dipshits too.

I wasn't talking about changing the name, just, more the fact that it is hard to get people to take a class that is contrary to their world view.

And yeah, there were a good amount of women in the class who had pretty poorly informed opinions about gender at the start of my sociology of sex and gender class, luckily I had a very good teacher and she did a fantastic job of educating the class on what's what.

It is a subject on which many people are fantastically misinformed.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    fuuuuck i am in the mood for breakfast food

pancakes and such

but the caf closes for breakfast so bloody early that the only way to get there with an appetite would be to stay up 'round the clock again and no way can i do that

Rust on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    if someone in your class was going to give an informative speech on film, what topic would you find interesting?

Dongs: The foresight in high definition foreskins

• Options
    edited October 2009

Could be interesting to see how film went from being a very international thing with silent films to a very national thing with the addition of sound to film.

Or maybe that is just interesting to me.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've never drank to the point that I've blacked out. And I am very, VERY happy with that.

Honestly I think if I ever blacked out from drinking I would probably never drink again, that would just put me off so much.

I want to do it once, just to see how I handle myself. I would probably only do it with my brother in law though, and I know I can count on him to keep me out of trouble. But still, the concept of a completely uninhibited/altered me and what I would do interests me a good deal.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I blacked out on my 21st birthday after drinking what were essentially two 32oz walkmedowns.

I didn't really realize what I was consuming, or I certainly would not have had the second one.

I've never blacked out since, although there are definitely periods where things get really hazy, like the time I woke up with a really bad buzzcut that everyone swears up and down I very cogently and aggressively asked for. Stranger things, I guess.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Could be interesting to see how film went from being a very international thing with silent films to a very national thing with the addition of sound to film.

i'm writing myself a paper comparing the usage of violence in two films

one's by hitchcock and the other's by the coen brothers

it has promise

though with me being the big wanky english essayist that i am i'm a little leery of writing anything without secondary sources

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »

I want to do it once, just to see how I handle myself. I would probably only do it with my brother in law though, and I know I can count on him to keep me out of trouble. But still, the concept of a completely uninhibited/altered me and what I would do interests me a good deal.

Well I guess I could be okay with blacking out in some kind of controlled study environment, but, man, the next morning would not be worth the knowledge gained.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I've been on a cultural kick lately, so maybe, if it's interesting, a look at how other nations handle their film industries, compared and contrasted to our own.

You can maybe throw something about Inglorious Basterds in there too.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

The Porn Industry.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    apparently i've been completely asleep and clearly in a dream state and have gotten pretty handsy with my fiancee in bed

this is something i can only assume is unique to her because i've never had anyone else i've slept in a bed with, platonic or otherwise, tell me i've done that

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Rust wrote: »

it has promise

though with me being the big wanky english essayist that i am i'm a little leery of writing anything without secondary sources

Lemme guess: Frenzy and No Country for Old Men

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Goodnight [chat].

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

it has promise

nope

rear window and blood simple

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    apparently i've been completely asleep and clearly in a dream state and have gotten pretty handsy with my fiancee in bed

this is something i can only assume is unique to her because i've never had anyone else i've slept in a bed with, platonic or otherwise, tell me i've done that

I was half asleep and cuddled up to Aaron and grabbed his bum once and he, in his sleep, rolled over and clocked me hard in the jaw.

• Options
    edited October 2009
    man i have never seen blood simple

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

it has promise

nope

Damn. Thought you were going with Hitchcock's most violent film and the Coen's most recent.

Well, most recent violent flick. Burn After Reading wasn't particularly violent to start off with.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

it has promise

nope

Damn. Thought you were going with Hitchcock's most violent film and the Coen's most recent.

Well, most recent violent flick. Burn After Reading wasn't particularly violent to start off with.

but when it was

holy shit

Pony on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

it has promise

nope

but when it was

holy shit

It just happens so suddenly.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009

it has promise

nope

it's sort of the opposite

i've just started thinking about what i'm gonna write but rear window is partly about the constant voyeuristic pursuit of violence while ignoring the more mundane (and, you know, less fatal) kinds that happen around the characters every day

whereas blood simple has its characters trapped in violence of the very kind that stewart's pursuing in rear window and trying to escape it while becoming increasingly desperate and addled by it (the title alone basically says THIS MOVIE'S ABOUT VIOLENCE AND HOW IT MAKES YOU STUPID)

then there's connections to imagery, camera technique, theme, et cetera

this is an entry-level course so it should be a sufficient premise

Rust on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

it has promise

nope

but when it was

holy shit

It just happens so suddenly.

I saw it in theater and when it happened I actually shouted "FUCK" really loud and with surprise

violence in film is a funny thing

it really is about how you use it

Pony on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like how the first part of the rape culture thread was "Oh come on, is it really that bad?" and then more and more people show up there with shitty arguments proving that yes, it really is.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
This discussion has been closed.