As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dog diarrhea remedies

NateVaderNateVader Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I think my dog (6 month old beagle) ate some of his own poo on Thursday, and started vomiting a lot (6 times in ~30 minutes). Since then he's had pretty loose and/or wet stools, borderline diarrhea to outright nastiness. I thought it was almost over on Sunday, but it seems to be back. Behavior-wise he's been totally normal and perky, he's just been crapping a whole lot and it hasn't been normal looking.

I've tried cottage cheese (which he eats but didn't seem to do a ton) and raw, fresh pumpkin (which he refuses to eat). Anyone have any suggestions of other methods to calm my dog's bowels down?

steam_sig.png
NateVader on

• JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In my experience as a dog owner, everyone has different advice on this. The best thing I've found to do is just not feed him anything for about 24 hours. Let him get it all out, and once he stops shitting everywhere, give him a little food and see how he handles it. Maybe buy a can of soft food and try that after he's had time to evacuate all of it. Dogs get the shits all the time. It happens. But they are hardy beasts. Do not be alarmed unless it turns bloody, he starts acting really strange, or it lasts for multiple days.

Jinn on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jinn wrote: »
    In my experience as a dog owner, everyone has different advice on this. The best thing I've found to do is just not feed him anything for about 24 hours. Let him get it all out, and once he stops shitting everywhere, give him a little food and see how he handles it. Maybe buy a can of soft food and try that after he's had time to evacuate all of it. Dogs get the shits all the time. It happens. But they are hardy beasts. Do not be alarmed unless it turns bloody, he starts acting really strange, or it lasts for multiple days.

This. I'd cut my dog off for 24 hours (making water available in small quantities) and he'd get better. I found out with him that it was a nerves thing, making himself sick because he couldn't see out of his enclosed airline style crate. I got him a wire crate and he hasn't had another episode.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it's just kindof loose stool then he could be eating too much or perhaps the food doesn't agree with him (my dog seems to get loose stool from dogfoods with beef, also if he voids several times on a walk, his last one is usually pretty soft). If it's diarrhea then it should be obvious.

The 2 times my dog has gotten recurrent diarrhea it's been Giardia. He was getting into some standing/nasty water when I let him out. By the time the lab results came back he'd gotten past it.

Vet said if it happens again fast him (no food, no water) and let it run its course (a day) and get rid of any standing water in the yard as he'll likely re-infect himself.

Personally, if I'd been dealing with this for nearly a week I'd get a vet involved. My concern for this pup would be dehydration.

Djeet on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jinn wrote: »

Agreed. With a six month old puppy you might want to cut it down to 18 hours, but in general withholding food is the best option.

If the diarrhea gets worse without food the dog has a secretory diarrhea (giardia is the most common in dogs, e coli and cholera cause this type of diarrhea in people) if the diarrhea gets better it was an irritational diarrhea. If the diarrhea gets worse without food you need to take your dog to the vet.

Once you go 18 hours without food and the diarrhea is getting better, start with some canned pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not pie filling - if you have more raw pumpkin try microwaving it and mashing it up, that may make it more appetizing to him) and a little bit of overcooked rice for his first meal (about half the volume of whatever a normal meal is for him). Then go back to normal food for the meal after that (if you feed kibble soak it in water for ~20 min to soften it up and make it easier to digest). You can keep giving him a tablespoon of pumpkin at each meal for a couple of days to use up the rest of the can

Do not go out and get canned dog food if your dog doesn't normally eat canned food. Many dogs, especially young ones, can get diarrhea from changes in food, even between canned and kibble of the same kind of food, so introducing something new is likely to just make things worse.

Keep an eye on his gum color and the elasticity of the skin on the top of his head. There is a danger of dehydration, but you can watch for early signs and not be too worried if he isn't showing them.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Similar to the rice thing, our vet recommend a bit of cooked rice mixed with cottage cheese. It has worked very well the few times we've given it to our dog, he loved it and his stomach seemed to love it as well.

Ganluan on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    really if my 6 month old puppy had that much diarhea and vomiting i would be in the vet getting him tested for parvo.

My dog has IBD so a lot fo diahrea. usually just stay the course and it will get better. it is usually something she got into that disagreed with her. it should flush out. if you cal up your vet see if you can get some fortiflora , it sometimes helps, basically its a probiotic, though you can give yogurt. helps get things back to normal in teh gut

mts on
    camo_sig.png