Options

ROCK BAND: Don't post here.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I really love that amidst all the mud-slinging from Activision (in Europe, anyways) over GH5 outselling The Beatles: Rock Band and all the terrible things said at RB's expense, the guys at Harmonix aren't afraid to tweet about the fact that they've been playing DJ Hero all day.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hm, another awkward chart for Woman, perhaps more awkward even than the GH: Recycled one. Kind of confused why the GH2 one isn't being reused.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Cause...it was a cover with an improvised solo?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Just saw the thread title!

It's good to know that Rock Band: The Aquabats! is on the way.
    Does this mean that Nick Mason just confirmed Pink Floyd: Rock Band? ohdear.png

YardGnome on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hm, another awkward chart for Woman, perhaps more awkward even than the GH: Recycled one. Kind of confused why the GH2 one isn't being reused.

What Arikado said, the GH2 version was a cover with the organ removed and a solo that was slapped on during the cover recording.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    Just saw the thread title!

It's good to know that Rock Band: Pet Shop Boys! is on the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDe60CbIagg

Hey now, Always on My Mind is high quality in SingStar! :lol:

Ketar on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry, I didn't mean the whole song. I just mean the charting for the intro/main riff.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    A bunch more songs are now showing up on the marketplace under Lego RB.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I really love that amidst all the mud-slinging from Activision (in Europe, anyways) over GH5 outselling The Beatles: Rock Band and all the terrible things said at RB's expense, the guys at Harmonix aren't afraid to tweet about the fact that they've been playing DJ Hero all day.

The best part, which has been shockingly under-discussed in this thread, it Beatles actually outsold GH5. I do believe this is the first time a Rock Band title has outsold the competition.

Endaro on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Endaro wrote: »

The best part, which has been shockingly under-discussed in this thread, it Beatles actually outsold GH5. I do believe this is the first time a Rock Band title has outsold the competition.
    But it says that GH:5 outsold The Beatles: Rock Band there? Unless you're referring to American sales?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

And yet in USA Today I see the headline that it "underperformed" and other such negative phrases.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, if The Beatles: Rock Band "Underperforms" then dayum, honestly no other band's got a hope.

Also, why isn't Rolling Stones: Rock Band being discussed at all? Those guys were probably the second most famous band around and yet....nothing?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

And yet in USA Today I see the headline that it "underperformed" and other such negative phrases.

Honestly, I don't know what Harmonix was expecting, so maybe it did just fine in line with their expectations, but when I saw the first month sales numbers, I was like "...That's it?"

I mean it beat GH5, yeah, but we're talking about the fucking Beatles here. I was expecting all three platforms combined to hit around a million.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think they expected, and perhaps rightfully so, for a Beatles game to sell like anything else Beatles related.

It's The Beatles! They're bigger than Jesus! They're like the NSync of the 60's!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think they expected, and perhaps rightfully so, for a Beatles game to sell like anything else Beatles related.

It's The Beatles! They're bigger than Jesus! They're like the NSync of the 60's!

Die in a fire.

Edit: Didn't that guy get banned or something?

Endaro on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Honestly, I don't know what Harmonix was expecting, so maybe it did just fine in line with their expectations, but when I saw the first month sales numbers, I was like "...That's it?"

I mean it beat GH5, yeah, but we're talking about the fucking Beatles here. I was expecting all three platforms combined to hit around a million.

It's mainly a $250 game. I'd think adjusting expectations down a bit would've been a better idea. And that's still not taking into account all those who'd have to buy a console first just to play it. So that's a minimum of $450.

I'd expect sales to bump going into the post-Thanksgiving period and then to settle back down to a more steady trickle of sales. We can't really forget that this is an expensive game. Even for the main game itself.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Die in a fire.

Edit: Didn't that guy get banned or something?

Yes, for horrible taste and overall being an asshat.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    This is to prevent a bunch of used copies of Lego Rock Band being cycled through, endlessly generating money for Gamestop and not for Harmonix/MTV/EA.

Accurate analysis.
    I imagine that eventually, Lego RB will title update and allow everyone to pay 10$ to transfer it sometime next year.

Wild optimism! I wouldn't hold your breath.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I imagine that eventually, Lego RB will title update and allow everyone to pay 10$ to transfer it sometime next year.

Wild optimism! I wouldn't hold your breath.
    HMXHenry wrote:
    Disc export will rely on the technology pioneered by Harmonix to export tracks from the original Rock Band disc to the music library of Rock Band 2. Owners of LEGO Rock Band on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 will be able to enter a unique code from an insert in their game manual into a dedicated website. The website will provide instructions allowing owners to unlock the export functionality of LEGO Rock Band. At that point, players will be able to export tracks from LEGO Rock Band to their hard drives for play in all game modes of the Rock Band Music Platform for a nominal export fee of $9.99 (800 Microsoft Points). An internet connection is required to perform this disc export.

Wild accuracy!

But then, I suspect FyreWulff meant to type RB2 since we'd already discussed and had proven that LRB would export for a $10 fee.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Am I the only one pissed off about EA/Harmonix forcing you to buy a whole disc if you just want a few songs off of it? Especially with Lego Rock Band. What happened to the whole iTunes type thing they claimed to be going for?
    (Yeah, I'm a cheap guy who liked getting his money's worth and finds people who buy all of the DLC kind of crazy.)
    I guess at least the discs will keep working when Microsoft shuts down its DRM servers and your 360 breaks.

Nonsensical bitching and console bashing! What fun!

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And no sources either. What double fun. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I thought he was saying that LRB would let everyone - like, a friend of mine who didn't purchase LRB but just borrowed my disc - pay the $10 fee and get the songs.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    JC of DI wrote: »
    I thought he was saying that LRB would let everyone - like, a friend of mine who didn't purchase LRB but just borrowed my disc - pay the $10 fee and get the songs.

If so, then that's beyond optimism and is just silly.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I was criticising the random, not you Santa. Sorry. :P Shoulda made that clearer, the fact he just pulls the Itunes example out of no where bugs me a little.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JC of DI wrote: »

If so, then that's beyond optimism and is just silly.

I may have not included enough of the original quote. He was suggesting that it would start with the code system (ie new purchasers only, confirmed fact) but then posited that in the future they'd bring in the RB1 system (rent and rip, where the wild optimism comes in).

Then again there will reach a point in the decling sales of the game where the potential licence transfer profit would outweigh the potential new sales profit so who knows.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So a guy from Twisted Pixel Games, creators of The Maw and Splosion Man, (mikehasnoluck) just posted on twitter:

"SOLO!"

With a picture attached. Its just a screen shot from the RBN authoring stuff, I assume. Just a crazy looking chart with some data up top (Expert Guitar/Bass, Time, Thresh, Tempo, ect...)

Twisted Pixel RBN tunes!?!
    Everybody Loves Doughnuts?
    Splode Beneath My Splosion?
    End Credits song?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So this weeks DLC doesn't interest me at all

but that's good because I have no money to spend

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As much as I love Pink Floyd, I don't think they have enough songs that would work in Rock Band to justify a solo game for them. I would love it if it happened (it won't), and I would buy any DLC they ever offered (they better), but I can't imagine the RB:B treatment coming their way. Sadly, the only other band that could/should get that treatment really is U2. Even then, I don't think it would be that great. U2 kinda sucks.

*ducks the bullets*

Seriously, not a huge fan. Their best album was Zooropa, and most fans hate that one. Go figure.

Aaaaand I just had a chilling thought: what if Activision makes a GH: Pink Floyd/U2/any other worthy band game? Uggggggggggggggh...

Fawst on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Guitar Hero Metallica was good. Really, I still really like it even after seeing what treatment The Beatles: Rock Band got.

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith wasn't bad. Coulda been better but hey.

Guitar Hero: David Lee Roth's Ego Trip.....

Yeah. No. That game looks like it's guaranteed never, ever to see another band go with Guitar Hero. I will be very surprised if this happens honestly.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only other groups that I personally would get a devoted game for are the types of bands that would sell maybe a thousand copies of the game across all platforms.

But it's okay Harmonix - I'll take a Nada Surf, Abandoned Pools, or Ash track pack instead!

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

It's not Christmas yet. We'll see.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's not Christmas yet. We'll see.
    True enough, I know three families off the top of my head who are getting The Beatles: Rock Band for Christmas as a family present. So, that's usually a good sign.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    I was criticising the random, not you Santa. Sorry. :P Shoulda made that clearer, the fact he just pulls the Itunes example out of no where bugs me a little.

He didn't pull it out of the air. I'll see if I can dig up the quote.

And I found it, but it is, in actuality, an old GameSpy article about GH2. Here's the quote:
    The final piece of the online puzzle which has us excited is downloadable content, which should be available via the Xbox Live Marketplace soon after launch, if not on Day 1. Red Octane hasn't made any official announcements, but you should expect that the bulk of downloadables will be songs from the original Guitar Hero, available for purchase in singles or in song packs. Prices have not been set, but a Red Octane spokesperson told us that songs shouldn't cost much more than what you'd expect to pay for actual songs on downloadable music services (total speculation on our part: $1/per song, $5 for a pack of 6 songs).

And here's the full article: link The above quote is from page 2 in the chance that it matters.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    Unlucky wrote: »

He didn't pull it out of the air. I'll see if I can dig up the quote.

And I found it, but it is, in actuality, an old GameSpy article about GH2. Here's the quote:
    The final piece of the online puzzle which has us excited is downloadable content, which should be available via the Xbox Live Marketplace soon after launch, if not on Day 1. Red Octane hasn't made any official announcements, but you should expect that the bulk of downloadables will be songs from the original Guitar Hero, available for purchase in singles or in song packs. Prices have not been set, but a Red Octane spokesperson told us that songs shouldn't cost much more than what you'd expect to pay for actual songs on downloadable music services (total speculation on our part: $1/per song, $5 for a pack of 6 songs).

And here's the full article: link The above quote is from page 2 in the chance that it matters.
    Hrm, eh? Interesting. Also additionally interesting to see how this has turned out...thank you for finding that.

I suppose that's really up to the definition, is double the price much more? Really? When it's a small jump from $1 to $2, it doesn't seem too bad to me.

Granted, it obviously sums up quickly, but then you get the deals that cut the price back again a little. "Buy 10, get 2 free!" kind of thing.

Also to the thread title: Rock Band: Smashing Pumpkins? :D That would make my rhythm gaming year.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, the more I think about it U2 is really the only band that could truly justify a ginormous band game from Rock Band. They're huge, their catalog is deep, varied and mostly well-known, and given all the iconic/insane stages they've played on they could actually make their backgrounds look different from the Rock Band norm. I mean, remember the dozens of TVs showing odd things on Zoo TV? And check out their current stage:

800px-U2_%28360tour%2C_ArenA%2C_2009%29_---_Photo_by_Fruggo.jpg

Any other band simply doesn't have the longevity, doesn't have the career-long staying power, doesn't have a distinctive look/sound, already has a crapload of songs on Rock Band or simply isn't interested.

Besides, given that Beatles Rock Band underperformed and Activision has pretty much given up hope on band-specific games (Guitar Hero: Van Halen wasn't just given away for free, it's obvious that the company just gave up on it after a certain point and stopped dumping money into it), Harmonix needs to be very, VERY cautious. Quite frankly I'll be a little surprised if we ever do get a full-blown band game from them again (as opposed to a track pack).

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Any other band simply doesn't have the longevity, doesn't have the career-long staying power, doesn't have a distinctive look/sound, already has a crapload of songs on Rock Band or simply isn't interested.

Careful there. We've had enough musical taste/band favoritism in these threads.

Arikado on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I'm going by album sales here.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, when I was talking about Lego RB patching to let everyone export without buying it new, by "next year" I meant like October 2010.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I'm going by album sales here.

Even so, U2 is dwarved by a fair amount of artists. Whether by single albums or all albums.

Arikado on