Options

Dragon Age: Origins: [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    Caramel GenocideCaramel Genocide Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Will there be respecs of any kind in this game (usually not but it's worth it to ask)?

Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. So many times in these games I wish I could respec my character to fix early-game mistakes/experiements. I don't like the idea of planning the character in advance, because I won't know how I want to play until I actually start playing.

Caramel Genocide on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MegaMek wrote: »
    At this point I fully expect Valve to fuck up the Tuesday Steam release. To those of you who didn't order this on steam, have fun playing this game while those of us who did rage.

One of the downsides to steam is the long download time with large games.

Like the Witcher. 15 hours for download time, and unfortunately I just discovered that whatever progress I make on the download, Steam (for whatever reason) doesn't keep that progress even if I pause the download and exit steam. So I could be at 25%, pause and X out of steam. Start it up again, bam, 0%.

To quote Lewis Black: son of a bitch.

Dragon Age is going to take a goodly amount of time to download methinks.

Havelock on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I haven't heard anything about respecs, but I think it would be hard to really screw your characters up in this game. It's easy to know what to invest attribute points in, too, as the talent information lists attribute requirements. Weapons and armor also have attribute requirements, so you can see where you need to put more points.
    Havelock wrote:
    Like the Witcher. 15 hours for download time, and unfortunately I just discovered that whatever progress I make on the download, Steam (for whatever reason) doesn't keep that progress even if I pause the download and exit steam. So I could be at 25%, pause and X out of steam. Start it up again, bam, 0%.

You don't actually start back at 0%. The progress bar resets, but you don't have to re-download any files. Feel free to pause and exit Steam at will and without worry.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    redxxiiredxxii Persona Non Grata Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »
    I'm entirely unsure of which platform to buy this on. *sigh*

I heard PS3 is the system for cool people*

People with shitty PCs and no 360

Hey it's also the system for people with Macs and no 360! And I was pleasantly surprised to get an email from Amazon saying that the date had moved up two weeks. I'll be able to play something while the wife is in China for a week.

Owning a Mac is no excuse! This is why God invented Bootcamp, and this is the main reason I bought a new iMac a few weeks back (well, this and the new Blizzard games next year like Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Cataclysm, ect).

redxxii on
    LoL: Handweasel
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The official Addons page for DLC and stuff is here: http://dragonage.bioware.com/addon/

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I haven't heard anything about respecs, but I think it would be hard to really screw your characters up in this game. It's easy to know what to invest attribute points in, too, as the talent information lists attribute requirements. Weapons and armor also have attribute requirements, so you can see where you need to put more points.
    Havelock wrote:

You don't actually start back at 0%. The progress bar resets, but you don't have to re-download any files. Feel free to pause and exit Steam at will and without worry.

Ah. See, I'm used to seeing it stay at the percent that it was prior to log off. It did that with my other games. Good to know it's just me.

Havelock on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is all that status update/screenshot/character upload stuff optional or automated? Because honestly I would prefer to opt out.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is all that status update/screenshot/character upload stuff optional or automated? Because honestly I would prefer to opt out.

You can opt out if you want.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    I'm still really torn as to which platform to get this on. I'd prefer PC, but then I'd be competing with my wife for PC time. If I get it on 360, then she could play it while I was using the PC for other games.

Choices, choices.

PC, most definitely. PC will have a console, meaning that when you kill the miniboss for the red key(Item# 'key0001'), and it instead gives you the blue key(Item# 'key0010'), you can just add it to your inventory via the console, rather than wait three weeks for them to make a patch, and a month for them to port it to your PS3/360.

But I thought the console was limited to running premade scripts in the main campaign?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Awesome. It's a nifty idea, but I don't know. I'm old fashioned. I still hate having people know when and which game I'm playing.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Awesome. It's a nifty idea, but I don't know. I'm old fashioned. I still hate having people know when and which game I'm playing.

You do get a ring if you upload a character before launch though...

You could just do the default guy obviously and just get it out of the way.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I might do that, then. I mean, I'll probably end up using all the stuff anyway, it's just nice to have the option.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Really, all you'd have to do to not have it show up online is just not log into their social site

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I just realized something. All of the romance scenes including the, ahem, consummation seem to take place outside your Camp, by the fire. Clearly, there should be a non-0% chance of one of your other Companions stepping out of their tent and catching you.

Imagine it, you're doing Zevran when Alistair walks out of his tent for some fresh air and freaks out. Or you do Morrigan and Wynne glares at you disapprovingly the next morning.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So, I just realized something. All of the romance scenes including the, ahem, consummation seem to take place outside your Camp, by the fire. Clearly, there should be a non-0% chance of one of your other Companions stepping out of their tent and joining you.

:winky:

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So, I just realized something. All of the romance scenes including the, ahem, consummation seem to take place outside your Camp, by the fire. Clearly, there should be a non-0% chance of one of your other Companions stepping out of their tent and catching you.

Imagine it, you're doing Zevran when Alistair walks out of his tent for some fresh air and freaks out. Or you do Morrigan and Wynne glares at you disapprovingly the next morning.

Stenn and Oghren are the only two characters that actually join in on the action.

Dog will lick your ass at a really awkward time.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    But the question is, are they wearing tophats and monocles?
    quads

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

On RockPaperShotgun they mentioned Leliana getting mad at you for doing Morrigan right in front of her in an article someone linked in the last thread.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    JWashke wrote: »

On RockPaperShotgun they mentioned Leliana getting mad at you for doing Morrigan right in front of her in an article someone linked in the last thread.

My guess is that it was meant figuratively rather than literally right in front of her.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Women, geez. If I can't nail the chick they hate right in front of them without having them get all pissy at you than I just don't want to be around them.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    KanamitKanamit Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

My guess is that it was meant figuratively rather than literally right in front of her.
    Well in front of her as in she could hear Morrigan's grunts and the PC's total silence getting it on in the next tent over.

Kanamit on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Shale is pretty cool, thinking Shale, Wynne and Alistair for my dwarf noble warrior.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Well you can't hide your lustful ways from the eyes of the Creator. And the Creator probably lets Leliana watch what he sees sometimes.

Havelock on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Shale is pretty cool, thinking Shale, Wynne and Alistair for my dwarf noble warrior.
    That's my ideal team, too. I'll be going Wynne, Shale, and Zevran though because as much as I make fun of it, I'll still be doing the gay romance first. :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Third page and no link to the Hannah Montana trailer. For shame!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1XMqTHwR8

zerg rush on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

No Rogues? What about all those locked chests?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AgahnimAgahnim Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Guys I have a test to take on Nov 7 so we need to push Dragon Age back a week. sorry. :(

Agahnim on
    2.jpg
    3DS FC: 2148-8300-8608 WiiU: AgahnimD
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Agahnim wrote: »
    Guys I have a test to take on Nov 7 so we need to push Dragon Age back a week. sorry. :(

Get your priorities straight, man!

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

Shale SMASH!

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That video is terrifying.

SJ on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No rogue? Cool party, but my OCD would bug me if I let all the rogue loot go to waste.

For all those talking about trying The Witcher last thread, Steam has it at 50% off right now. $19.99.

grrarg on
  • Options
    dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Agahnim wrote: »
    Professor, Dragon Age is coming out on Nov 3rd so we need to push the test back a few months. sorry. :(

Fixed

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Dortmunder wrote: »

Shale SMASH!

Well, there goes another priceless magic pendant. Shale, couldn't you at least smash the chest with a little less force?

chrono_traveller on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Really, though, you'd think they'd be able to figure out to just break the lock/top of the chest instead of bashing the whole thing.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited October 2009
    I think they said in the giantbomb preview that there was no bashing locks in this game.

Also, Tom Chick says the 360 controls are fine. But some of his arguments are a bit weird, a controller is better than a mouse for menu UI things like moving and comparing gear?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    grrarg wrote: »
    No rogue? Cool party, but my OCD would bug me if I let all the rogue loot go to waste.

For all those talking about trying The Witcher last thread, Steam has it at 50% off right now. $19.99.

god DAMMIT.

Havelock on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh dammit, well I guess I'll go for Shale, Wynne and Zevran then and try for a dwarf/elf gay romance.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Man... why can't bestbuy have their stupid buy 2 get 1 free sale a week later?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Also, Tom Chick says the 360 controls are fine. But some of his arguments are a bit weird, a controller is better than a mouse for menu UI things like moving and comparing gear?

That's not weird, its merely retarded.

:^: at the Hanna Montana trailer. Still not as good as the Hawaii Five-O one, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Man... why can't bestbuy have their stupid buy 2 get 1 free sale a week later?

Because they know... just like they did it before Uncharted and such came out..they knew...

Egos on
This discussion has been closed.