As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age: Origins: [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Man, this annoying BS required to get the various and sundry collectors/preorder/normalorder/charactercreator items is really not fun.

I still have no idea if the codes I entered are accurate or what, since when I put them in I got both an error unable to input and a successful input alert. And I can't connect to the DA servers to check.

You're codes aren't likely taken if you are getting the didn't work/work stuff, it just means the backend is down and it can't do crap right now. My goal is to wait until the whee hours of the morning and try.

Aha, sweet. My Blood Dragon Armor and Stone Prisoner codes apparently worked. I had to quit the game and go back in, though.

The Steam Preorder stuff though, I have no clue.

Edit: Wait, it seems to have worked too. Okay, this is... still annoying, but not terrible. Now I kind of want to buy Warden's Keep. Actually, I may. That was the only part of the Collectors Edition I actually gave a crap about. I better be able to buy exactly $7 of points. This isn't XBLA, and I'm never going have a reason to use 25 points or whatever.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hate everyone who is playing this right now. But in a nice way of course.

At least I get all of Friday to gorge myself on the veritable feast of RPG goodness that awaits. Also gay dwarves. But I won't gorge myself on those.

I'm on a diet.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So my gamestop has it in stock.

Should I go pick it up this evening after work?
    BTW, PC version.
    Yes/no?

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does anyone know how steam is doing the DLC unlocks yet? I've got the digital deluxe version, and haven't downloaded it or anything yet, but I was expecting the DLC codes to all arive on launch day.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, from looking through the pages with all the DLC rage, I think I'll just decrypt DA when I get home tonight and play it sans DLC to save myself the trouble of getting a headache.

Havelock on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hey um

when I select a resolution that's smaller than my screen resolution (which all of them are)

it plays full screen, but surrounds the area by black on all sides

um

how do I get it to blow up and take up the full screen?

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    VenochVenoch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    By the way, there's a refresh button in the DLC page ingame, I didn't think any my codes worked, but I clicked that and they all started downloading. You don't need to exit the game. Following this guide worked perfectly for me. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1011420

Venoch on
  • Options
    VenochVenoch Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Does anyone know how steam is doing the DLC unlocks yet? I've got the digital deluxe version, and haven't downloaded it or anything yet, but I was expecting the DLC codes to all arive on launch day.

You get the codes ala view game cd. No emailing necessary.

Venoch on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Right click on the game in your "My Games" tab, go to View CD Key.

Go into the game.

Go to the DLC area, open it, and click "redeem code".

That will put you on their website (oh, you need an account, make one if you don't have one)

Put in any of the CD-Keys from Steam, hit enter, and wait. It should say "successful". Do it for every code you've got.

Quit DA, re-open it, and you should be downloading already.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So how do I actually unlock the preorder stuff from Steam? Went to downloadable content and see the Stone Prisoner there, apparently I need points for it? Tried clicking add points and redeem code and got nothing that seems to be working.

Edit: Nevermind heh.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    So, again, for those of us in europe.

THE EA STORE VERSION IS UNLOCKED FOR US FILTHY EUROPEANS

No DLC yet as that'll arrive in a seperate e-mail, but t'ever, I thought I had to wait until Friday.

I just finished playing through the Dwarven Noble origin, so awesome.

It is? I wonder how long that'll last before they realise their mistake.

Let's just say I'm not closing down Dragon Age no matter what.

You see, i'm tempted to now go order it, but if it ends up being a mistake and changes back to opening on Friday, i'll have put money onto a digital download that'll take 9ish ours to download, on the day D: I don't mind downloading it before then but on the day that would be depressing.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Nite-Man wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Their website is kinda... shitting itself. It says I'm entring my codes correctly but also saying they're not recognized.

It did that to me too. Just restart the game and your freebies will be under DLC

Do you start with them in your inventory right away or have you yet to see?

For the Blood Dragon armor and the rings and such it seems to start you with them.
    so ya.. I have some DLC stuff in downloaded but not in installed?? and I didn't start with any of my freebies on my character??

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hey um

when I select a resolution that's smaller than my screen resolution (which all of them are)

um

That's typically a setting in the graphics drivers. nVidia has it under Panel Scaling or something with 3 options, to not scale, to let the monitor scale the image, or to let the graphics card scale the image.

I would imagine the ATi drivers have something similar.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    redxxiiredxxii Persona Non Grata Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just to check, anyone running this under Bootcamp experience any problems? I got the Character Creator running without issue, but I just want to make sure my evening is full of RPG goodness rather than the dark, hateful hardware-based woe...

redxxii on
    LoL: Handweasel
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Grr, download faster, damnit.

Oh, and that black bar thing on all sides? It's an option in the Dragon AGe Configuration thing. "Aspect Ratio Scaling" or something.

KiTA on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you start with all that preorder dlc stuff? that kinda sucks, wouldnt that overpower the early parts of the game?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    itchyeyesitchyeyes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Machismo wrote: »

BTW, PC version.
    Yes/no?
    Why in God's name would you give Gamestop your business?

itchyeyes on
    Itchyeyes55.gif
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dranyth wrote: »
    hey um

um

That's typically a setting in the graphics drivers. nVidia has it under Panel Scaling or something with 3 options, to not scale, to let the monitor scale the image, or to let the graphics card scale the image.

I would imagine the ATi drivers have something similar.

you're right, looks like it's a Windows 7 quirk? downloading the ATI CCC now :D

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    On the one hand my preorder arrived, I've downloaded all relevant gubbins (promo items, Wardens Keep, Stone Prisoner, etc) and am now super excited to play.

On the other hand I'm going to the hospital to confirm whether or not I have the Swine Flu!

God damn it.

For what it's worth, it's like the regular flu but with milder symptoms.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    itchyeyes wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »

BTW, PC version.
    Yes/no?
    Why in God's name would you give Gamestop your business?

Also why in god's name would you not get the PC version?

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do mages use "Spells per day" or recharging mana in this?

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I ordered off of steam, and on no email accounts (even my old one that I've yet to change that's tied to steam) have I gotten a code for the Dragon Age armor or the pre-order stuff or the Wardens keep or anything to that effect. Do they come in email, am I missing something giant, or do I have to decrypt first?

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Recharging mana. SPD was a DnD thing, and they ditched DnD.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

good. I fucking hate spells per day.

i also hate spinning pile drivers.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can cast "SPINNING PILEDRIVER."

But only three times per day.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Woo 100 pages. Can I start the new thread?

WMain00 on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's such a silly idea, too.

Though I did use that excuse in college. "Sorry professor, I wish I could give you the answer to that question, but I've already met my knowledge-per-day quota."

Melkster on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Go into the game.

That will put you on their website (oh, you need an account, make one if you don't have one)

Put in any of the CD-Keys from Steam, hit enter, and wait. It should say "successful". Do it for every code you've got.

Ahh, cheers, I'll do that once I get back. Hopefully the servers will be moving a bit faster then. I want Shale on my first playthrough, so I will want to download the DLC before I play. Well, and I guess the bonus magic items are only any use for the levels at the start.

I hope there is lots of DLC support for this game though, I really would like to see a monthly comic style of game, where there is more content each month.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    It's such a silly idea, too.

Though I did use that excuse in college. "Sorry professor, I wish I could give you the answer to that question, but I've already met my knowledge-per-day quota."

Heh that's good. I might use that against one of my lecturers who constantly asks questions.

Then get thrown out...

WMain00 on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ok what the hell guys
    all my DLC is at 100%, status downloaded, but the required game version says 1.0 in red and none of the files will move over to the installed tab

any idea how to fix this?!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just bought it.

Only 8 more hours till the download's finished.

revolutionary bean on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Didn't even D&D ditch the SPD thing?

KiTA on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Mana + Cooldown.

and the cooldown isn't very long, at least for the basic spells I tried out before work.

EDIT:Beat'd

For the most part. There are still a few once-per-day powers, but they make up only a small part of what you can do, and pretty much all of them will always do something to the target, whether they hit or miss.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Go into the game.

Ahh, cheers, I'll do that once I get back. Hopefully the servers will be moving a bit faster then. I want Shale on my first playthrough, so I will want to download the DLC before I play. Well, and I guess the bonus magic items are only any use for the levels at the start.

I hope there is lots of DLC support for this game though, I really would like to see a monthly comic style of game, where there is more content each month.

I actually just got points and picked up Warden's Keep, and things seem to be a lot smoother than they were a half hour ago.

Finally though, all the DLC stuff that can be gotten, and for around the same as the 360 price. It almost makes me happy I'm now used to $60 games.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Woo, currently decrypting.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Six hours after the horror began, I've concluded that there was, at one point, a family of meercats living inside my case, my power supply was, while crappy, not broken, and I am now very nearly certain that my ram is the cause of my pain.

I hate troubleshooting. I always forget to check something obvious.

*sniff*

All I want to do is hunt elves and set peasants on fire.

At least the end is in sight.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I will probably cry.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Kinda. DnD now splits all combat stuff into either At Will, Encounter, or Daily powers. So, you still have some spells that you can only use once per day...but nothing like "You get four fireballs before you have to rest".

SimpsonsParadox on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    revolutionary beanrevolutionary bean Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Six hours after the horror began, I've concluded that there was, at one point, a family of meercats living inside my case, my power supply was, while crappy, not broken, and I am now very nearly certain that my ram is the cause of my pain.

I hate troubleshooting. I always forget to check something obvious.

*sniff*

All I want to do is hunt elves and set peasants on fire.

At least the end is in sight.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case I will probably cry.

I know the feeling man... I know the feeling so bad.

revolutionary bean on
  • Options
    HeliozHelioz Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    I like how all the Day One DLC has published dates of March 11, 2009. It was all Day One DLC even eight months ago.

I would wager that is not March 11 so much as it is the alternate way of writing November 3.

HAHA, Owned.

Helioz on
This discussion has been closed.