As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forza Motorsport 3 [Game On]

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    could probably adjust spring stiffness

and its not broken if thats what would actually happen

Joolander on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've found it's mostly the top-end cars. I guess I'll just have to do what I can in tuning.

Bottoming out causing a fault just seems really weird. It's not like it gives you any advantage like cutting a corner or riding a wall.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    A few random pics and a couple of vids, spoiler'd for huge:
    FordGT.jpg
    F355.jpg
    F40C.jpg
    FXX.jpg

And a couple of crashes. The one with the 962 was a glitch in multiplayer, the Veyron wasn't but it's actually cartwheeling.

StartWTF.jpg
    StartWTF2.jpg
    Veyron.jpg

Here's the videos of those two crashes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YpF9-mggo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uOr3eXuYRY

Jazz on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Uhg, those crash physics are ugly.

So far Grid wins on crash physics. Why can't Forza do what Grid did?

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    They're far from perfect. Still think rollover is a great addition, though.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Because instead of awesome crash physics we get awesome race physics.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd rather have awesome race physics and hilarious clown car crashes than shitty race physics and realistic car crashes.

I mean, if you can't laugh at a wreck, why bother wrecking?

xzzy on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was just about to come in here and ask if anyone's tried the Veyron yet. Holy shit, that thing is a fucking dreamboat. Took it for a hot lap on the 'Ring last night before I went to bed, and my God, man...that's as close to a religious experience as you'll ever have driving a car. After I finished, I took the Lambo Reventon for a lap against the Veyron's ghost that I'd just completed, and it was no contest. The only car in the game I can see staying within a mile of the Veyron is the Cerbera Speed 12. I'll have to try again and see if I can keep up in the TVR.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thor's thundering testicles, those screenshots in the OP are eye-burstingly good.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I'm starting to notice more and more that I'm getting faults flashing up on straight parts of a track, presumably from my car bottoming out. I can't see or hear it happen, but it seems the only real possibility. What's strange is it's happening with cars where I haven't even tweaked the ride height. Is there any obvious way to avoid this that I'm missing outside of adjusting the ride height? It's making getting certified laps with certain cars a real pain.

I know someone linked a list of actions that would trigger a fault, one of them being drafting behind another car while going over 100MPH. I was doing an oval last night and was way behind the lead car and every lap was a fault because I must have been close enough to catch a draft off him.

Then again I was getting faults for a lap or 2 after gaining first place with a car behind me so I can't say for sure.

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Going >100 mph while in front of another car also decertifies the lap. (Within, I don't know, 800 or 1000 feet or something.)

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ah, well that'll be it then. Sounds exactly like what's causing my problem. Guess I should leave trying to get good certified times to hotlapping.

Out of interest why would going fast in front of another car be giving you an advantage?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Any of you guys looking to sell your MS Wireless wheels after getting the Fantec ones?

MegaPureiboi on
    Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This game really needs an option for an AI car garage - it would be really nice to be able to take a tune and paint job, flag it, and have it pop up as a random car in quick race or as multiplayer AI fillers.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A cool option would be to have an option for the AI to Quick Upgrade their cars to match your PI when in free play mode. It'd be cool to race against 7 other cars all with the PI of the car you choose, especially if it threw in a few wild cards upgraded from the lower classes.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fanatec update!
    After some delays in customs we finally started to send the pre-june orders by USPS to US and Canadian customers. EU orders will be shipped tomorrow (29.10.) if there are no further delays. Please note that you will notget any tracking numbers.

There are some issues with the pedal adapter cables but we are working on solving these issues quickly.

The first containers for sea shipment (post June orders) will leave China this week as well according to the current production plan.It will take between 3-4 weeks to arrive in the distribution centers and another week to be delivered to you if everything goes perfect.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ah, well that'll be it then. Sounds exactly like what's causing my problem. Guess I should leave trying to get good certified times to hotlapping.

Out of interest why would going fast in front of another car be giving you an advantage?

If you have a higher class car bumping you to faster speeds.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow, the guy who made the Captain America Z06 said it took 4 hours from start to finish to make. It's taken me two hours now just to make a fairly poor attempt at an arcade cabinet style Pac-Man logo.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Er, besides the cockpit view you mean?

Right, other than cockpit view. I'm a sucker for car interiors (I know, weird) and really like the viewing experience of using the right thumbstick. Unfortunately it doesn't let you angle down, which sucks. I'd really like to check out the shifter arrangements, window switches, etc between cars.

enc0re on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    so i've spent wayyy too much time on this, but i think i got it looking as close as i can to the car in the movie

Rusted bumblebee, spoilered for huge
    rustedbumblebee1.jpg
    rustedbumblebee2.jpg
    rustedbumblebee3.jpg

i wish we could change hoods like we could in forza 2

Joolander on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    enc0re wrote: »

Right, other than cockpit view. I'm a sucker for car interiors (I know, weird) and really like the viewing experience of using the right thumbstick. Unfortunately it doesn't let you angle down, which sucks. I'd really like to check out the shifter arrangements, window switches, etc between cars.

Have you tried setting your field of view to the max it will go? Then you could at least see more of the interior from the standard cockpit view.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joolander wrote: »
    so i've spent wayyy too much time on this, but i think i got it looking as close as i can to the car in the movie

rustedbumblebee1.jpg
    rustedbumblebee2.jpg
    rustedbumblebee3.jpg

I'm impressed.

jimb213 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    enc0re wrote: »

Have you tried setting your field of view to the max it will go? Then you could at least see more of the interior from the standard cockpit view.

Good tip. No, I hadn't done that yet. I do wish I could look around the cockpit freely though. I'' just hope for a patch (like that'll happen).

enc0re on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really wish the screenshots that we can take would look as good as the screenshots at the end of the OP.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Maybe when the rush of players dies down, they'll turn down the jpeg compression a bit.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I really wish the screenshots that we can take would look as good as the screenshots at the end of the OP.

F'in jpg compression, I swear.
    td3d.png

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Gihgehls wrote: »

F'in jpg compression, I swear.
    td3d.png

I think I played that game! Was that the racing game on the Amiga where you'd upgrade your engine by "actually unscrewing" the head bolts and disassembling the motor and stuff? You had like 31 days to make a set amount of money or something along those lines.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's from Test Drive 3. I don't think that had the unscrewing of the head bolts, but I do vaguely remember playing the game you're thinking of.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hope some people will be up for some Cat & Mouse tonight.

rts on
  • Options
    AnalrapistAnalrapist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Joolander wrote: »

rustedbumblebee1.jpg
    rustedbumblebee2.jpg
    rustedbumblebee3.jpg

Those are the American Racing rims I want for my car, damnit.

Analrapist on
    CheeseSticks15.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Pacifist wrote: »

It sounds like you're describing actual physical contact. That sucks if true, because we were discussing drafting. As in, the other car is a couple hundred feet behind you and yet it's still making you go a bit faster. Which happens and is a real thing.

mspencer on
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    mspencer wrote: »

It sounds like you're describing actual physical contact. That sucks if true, because we were discussing drafting. As in, the other car is a couple hundred feet behind you and yet it's still making you go a bit faster. Which happens and is a real thing.

But people would do exactly that in FM1/FM2. They'd put a dude in a low-PI beater and literally get pushed around the track by a U999 1000 horsepower monster, just so they could enjoy a high time on the leaderboards.

xzzy on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    mspencer wrote: »

It happens but not at a couple hundred feet. More like a car length or two at best. And as far as the bump drafting, if they invalidate based on contact, that's all that's needed. Not this ridiculous "a car following a half mile behind you is drafting: INVALID" crap. It's pretty clear they never intended for you to set leaderboard times outside of the hotlap mode.

The problem i have with the way they've done things is bottoming out the car counts as invalid contact and that some of the corners have invalid zones that extend onto the track.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I was feeling frisky today. I finished an event, and was prompted to enter the A-Class World Championship. I decided on the spot that I was not content to use one of the cars I'd already been using, and instead wanted to buy--and upgrade--a new one to a suitable level to compete. I settled on the '96 Corvette GrandSport for my base car, and after a few upgrades I ended up with a PI of 597 and well over 600hp. The major thing I did was, uh...kinda...putting the ZR1 engine in it. D:

I won the first race of the Championship event--handily outrunning such monsters as the C6 Z06 and the R8--and decided to take a bit of a break. Shortly thereafter, I did a quick race on Laguna just so I could get some pics of this unforgiving beast. Note: I ended up with a much more difficult field for the quick race than I had faced in the Championship race. Observe:
    The field negotiating the corkscrew. I'd overtaken all but the F40 at this point.

zr1%20gs.jpg

And now I'm overtaking the F40. :D

zr1%20gs2.jpg

Here are a few shots from earlier in the race.

zr1%20gs3.jpg

zr1%20gs4.jpg

f50%201.jpg

I'm having such a fucking blast with this. The game, this particular car...all of it. It's enough to turn an atheist into a baptist. In summation:
    i%20love%20this%20game.jpg

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think in this game it really does help though. Things invalidate your time when the game's simulation model could plausibly shave even a few thousandths of a second off of your time. Even if it's unrealistic for real life, that's what's in the game. You can really feel the difference if someone is only a few car lengths behind you, say 50 to 100 feet. (That's not fear of being passed that's making you go faster.) I think the difference is present but difficult to perceive if they're further back, say 100 to 500 feet.

If there's parts of the track that are visibly "normal driving surface" that the game punishes you for driving on -- so you have all four tires on identical pavement, not touching any colored or bumpy or grassy parts -- but the game acts as if you drove off the track, that's a bug to me and should be fixed. Now is that true? That seems demonstrable enough that someone would've made a video.

mspencer on
  • Options
    peilpeil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm shattered tonight after spending all day up at the hospital with my youngest, but tomorrow I will venture online and try a proper race.

Also, I fucking hate Sedona, that track has some of the most godawful, off camber and uphill corners I have ever seen.
    Loving the Catalunya circuit though.

peil on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for double posting this, but I really want to know. Is anyone else having trouble getting into online races? I haven't managed to find a single one yet.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've played with people from this thread but the couple of times I've tried matchmaking it hasn't been able to find me a race. It just sits me in a lobby by myself. Saw a total of two people pop into the room before leaving seconds later.

Seems private is the way to go in this game.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It took me a few tries the other night, like four or five, but eventually I got into a lobby with people in it. It started off at just three or four players but eventually expanded to the full eight. Besides the expected lagging/warping weirdness (and the glitch in my video earlier), it worked fine once it was going. You can veto a track just like vetoing levels in Halo 3; majority vote moves it to another track which you're stuck with.

Only trouble was everyone stuck with R1 cars only. They're fun, but more variation would've been nice.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh yeah, I was going to post about this but forgot.

I looked at the car auction thing for the first time. People are selling Bugatti Veyrons for ridiculously cheap -- but after bidding on some and getting outbidded, it seems a couple sellers are bidding on and winning every single one. They're like ticket scalpers. X__X

I was curious what this was like for FM2, so I loaded that back up and hit the car auction part of that site. Browsed around a bit. Apparently FM2's auction house is full of some . . . extremely awesome designs, a bit too awesome for anything less than an M rating. This leaves me wondering, (a) am I at risk of being banned from Live if I buy one of those cars? and (b) why doesn't FM3 have designs like those? :-)

mspencer on