Options

[BORDERLANDS] You don't need three balls to enjoy it, but it helps.

• Options
    MorrandirMorrandir Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    johnlao wrote: »
    Morrandir wrote: »
    I have a horrible texture issue that causes the terrain to randomly either look as intended, or be completely black.

If you are using an Nvidia card, you have to update your drivers to 191.07. I had 186.xx drivers, and it was glitching all over the place, including random black textures.

Go past 191.07 and get the 195.xx beta.

Jesus do I hate Nvidia. "No no use these beta drivers that may or may not blow up your card." It's worse when their fucking splash screens are all over any modern pc game and their shit still doesn't work.

Actually, I'm running an ATI Radeon X1300 (I know, I know, Doritos are a more powerful chipset. New card for Decemberween, hopefully), but I'll look into a driver update all the same.

Morrandir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    johnlao wrote: »
    Morrandir wrote: »
    I have a horrible texture issue that causes the terrain to randomly either look as intended, or be completely black.

If you are using an Nvidia card, you have to update your drivers to 191.07. I had 186.xx drivers, and it was glitching all over the place, including random black textures.

Go past 191.07 and get the 195.xx beta.

Jesus do I hate Nvidia. "No no use these beta drivers that may or may not blow up your card." It's worse when their fucking splash screens are all over any modern pc game and their shit still doesn't work.

I'm running the 186.16 drivers, since every newer batch has sucked gigantic donkey balls. I've not had too much problem, thankfully, outside of a few flickery shadows. At least, yet.

I strongly recommend against running the 191.07 drivers. If you are running an NForce based motherboard, I can't recommend strongly enough against it (I'm not kidding here - NF200 chipset boards are being fried at the BIOS level, apparently, by these drivers). I'm not sure about the quality of the 195 betas, but seeing as every single release in the 190.xx series was a distaster that glitched, couldn't downthrottle appropriately, or couldn't up throttle appropriately, I'm not holding out hope that newer drivers are better.

Nvidia is the only company that actually inspires me to be a luddite with their drivers.

Edit: If anyone's going to upgrade/downgrade drivers, though, make sure you run a driver sweeper / driver cleaner program. And if you're running Win 7, google around first if you're downgrading to a previous version. Apparently Win 7 keeps an administratively-protected folder that's a depository of every driver you've ever installed for Nvidia's offerings, and it'll just default to the newest batch no matter what you try. Details can be found here.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Any level 10ish players wanna roll? I'll be lurking in Vent as goggs. Also, name on gamespy is goggs I believe.

goggles on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm running the 186.16 drivers, since every newer batch has sucked gigantic donkey balls. I've not had too much problem, thankfully, outside of a few flickery shadows. At least, yet.

I strongly recommend against running the 191.07 drivers. If you are running an NForce based motherboard, I can't recommend strongly enough against it (I'm not kidding here - NF200 chipset boards are being fried at the BIOS level, apparently, by these drivers). I'm not sure about the quality of the 195 betas, but seeing as every single release in the 190.xx series was a distaster that glitched, couldn't downthrottle appropriately, or couldn't up throttle appropriately, I'm not holding out hope that newer drivers are better.

Nvidia is the only company that actually inspires me to be a luddite with their drivers.

Edit: If anyone's going to upgrade/downgrade drivers, though, make sure you run a driver sweeper / driver cleaner program. And if you're running Win 7, google around first if you're downgrading to a previous version. Apparently Win 7 keeps an administratively-protected folder that's a depository of every driver you've ever installed for Nvidia's offerings, and it'll just default to the newest batch no matter what you try. Details can be found here.

I'm running nForce drivers for my mobo (evga 785i I think), and I have yet to have any issues with the 191.07 drivers. That's not to say that there aren't issues with it, but I'm certainly happy I don't have any. It seems to clock right, and my system seems to be stable, so I'm not poking it with a stick.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'm running nForce drivers for my mobo (evga 785i I think), and I have yet to have any issues with the 191.07 drivers. That's not to say that there aren't issues with it, but I'm certainly happy I don't have any. It seems to clock right, and my system seems to be stable, so I'm not poking it with a stick.

YMMV, of course, and if you can get it working and stable, more power to you. I usually wait a few weeks to see how the community responds to drivers, and after reading through this thread about the post-191.07 issues, I thought it better not to take the risk.

Also, is it really, really weird that I somehow find it nostalgic to manually edit .ini files? It's a pain, for sure, but not a serious one. Makes me remember the [strike]good[/strike] old days of writing custom autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Maybe the Borderlands DLC will require a boot disk!

All kidding aside, I'm only level 18, playing as a Siren, and playing single player. And even with the weird glitches I'm loving this game to pieces.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    InitialDK wrote: »
    Working in a field of customer service I am not quick to judge the actions and announcements a company puts out as there are usually a dozen things we don't know going on behind the scenes which also effect these decisions for better or worse. Gearbox, or at least Randy, seems very passionate about this project and unless it was a very good act to sell the game I believe they do care about the game and will address the concerns in time. The game has only been out for a couple of weeks now and from what I understand they are also already working on additional content.

I know these things suck and it feels shitty to have purchased a product that feels unfinished but I have faith that they will be fixed. And if not then only time will tell.

But it makes people feel better to say that they have lost respect for a company over minor issues barely a week after release, and then return to playing the game.

It's been more than a week, and a bug that stops you from seeing an important item stat in a game about loot shouldn't have made it past QA, and they surely shouldn't have given us some hamfisted "working as intended" response when it was pointed out to them.

It's not a minor issue either, that's a BIG issue for a game that is 100% about loot. I am now curious how many really good yellow/orange guns I've tossed because they look like crap in the stats window, but I couldn't see the fifth stat line.

I have lost respect for Gearbox, not because of the bug, but because of their response to the bug. I'm glad you find humor in that.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Working in a field of customer service I am not quick to judge the actions and announcements a company puts out as there are usually a dozen things we don't know going on behind the scenes which also effect these decisions for better or worse. Gearbox, or at least Randy, seems very passionate about this project and unless it was a very good act to sell the game I believe they do care about the game and will address the concerns in time. The game has only been out for a couple of weeks now and from what I understand they are also already working on additional content.

I know these things suck and it feels shitty to have purchased a product that feels unfinished but I have faith that they will be fixed. And if not then only time will tell.

But it makes people feel better to say that they have lost respect for a company over minor issues barely a week after release, and then return to playing the game.

It's been more than a week, and a bug that stops you from seeing an important item stat in a game about loot shouldn't have made it past QA, and they surely shouldn't have given us some hamfisted "working as intended" response when it was pointed out to them.

It's not a minor issue either, that's a BIG issue for a game that is 100% about loot. I am now curious how many really good yellow/orange guns I've tossed because they look like crap in the stats window, but I couldn't see the fifth stat line.

I have lost respect for Gearbox, not because of the bug, but because of their response to the bug. I'm glad you find humor in that.

Devil's Advocate: Probably couldn't see the bug in QA because the bug was preventing that. It's a game with random stats, how would they know they were missing a line?

Zetx on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My first SMG in about 30 levels (I'm a corrosive pistol/revolver fanatic):

lv41combustionhellfire.png

The only one and only gripe about this game is accidentally equipping a gun by holding E. I've had no graphical issues either aside from the very occasional invisible vendors in multiplayer.

One of the best things is punching a parked vehicle and see it go flying, especially amusing for annoying party members and useful if your vehicle is stuck.

Adellios on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some thought from a level 50 Brick:

I'd rather have a level 50 siren.

Here's my build:

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#31000000055055500550505

I'm using a warmonger class mod and a machine gun.

Like I said, I'd rather be using a siren.

My buddy's SMG siren is just flat-out better in the late game. I certainly enjoyed leveling Brick, and there was a long stretch where my buddy relied on me, but for end-game stuff, Brick's not as great.

But me and Brick have had good times, so it's not all bad or anything. I just wish I was the same harbinger of doom as I was in playthrough one.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zetx wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Devil's Advocate: Probably couldn't see the bug in QA because the bug was preventing that. It's a game with random stats, how would they know they were missing a line?

By knowing the hardcoded limit is 5, but noticing that you only ever see 4? It's subtle, but these are the type of things QA people are paid to notice. You make a good point, but a QA person still should have caught it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Adellios wrote: »

The only one and only gripe about this game is accidentally equipping a gun by holding E. I've had no graphical issues either aside from the very occasional invisible vendors in multiplayer.

One of the best things is punching a parked vehicle and see it go flying, especially amusing for annoying party members and useful if your vehicle is stuck.

Yeah, if you 'hold' E it switches. I wonder if there's a variable in a config to change how long you have to hold for it to happen.

GnomeTank: True. I wasn't aware about the hardcoded limit. That's pretty lame. Do we know if that implies there can only be 5 modifiers or just only showing 5?

Zetx on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »

Here's my build:

My buddy's SMG siren is just flat-out better in the late game. I certainly enjoyed leveling Brick, and there was a long stretch where my buddy relied on me, but for end-game stuff, Brick's not as great.

But me and Brick have had good times, so it's not all bad or anything. I just wish I was the same harbinger of doom as I was in playthrough one.

Only way to play Brick end-game, IMO. Start out zerking. Switch to rocket pumping. If you die, you will instantly revive (with full shields) as long as there is a living enemy nearby, because you will rocket them to death. All of your explosive damage will almost immediately let you start zerking again.

Carry a sniper rifle and smg that do explosive damage as well, so that you can reset the cooldown on zerking during those "I feel like being long range" moments. You can then use that to heal yourself whenever you want.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yeah, if you 'hold' E it switches. I wonder if there's a variable in a config to change how long you have to hold for it to happen.

GnomeTank: True. I wasn't aware about the hardcoded limit. That's pretty lame. Do we know if that implies there can only be 5 modifiers or just only showing 5?

A bunch of pages back it was said that the people who discovered the "smaller font to get 5 lines" trick also noticed that on things like Sniper Rifles it still didn't show all the lines. Sniper Rifles always have a Zoom line and a 150% Critical Hit line. And I think they had a Sniper rifle that didn't have one of those showing, even with the small font. So it's possible there could be a sixth line + more.

it is also possible I dreamed reading that a bunch of pages back.

edit: I did not dream it.
    Rius wrote: »
    What's really annoying is this; the group who worked on a font fix for the items is now realizing that even with reduced font size, small enough to display 8-9 items on a card, it may still only list 5 because that's how many show up in the debug window.

Sniper rifles always have at least +150% crit damage; find a sniper rifle with 5 listed mods that aren't +crit damage and you've got missing mods still.

So class mods that could have 6, 7, or 8 modifiers are still tricky/impossible to detect.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Here's my build:

Only way to play Brick end-game, IMO. Start out zerking. Switch to rocket pumping. If you die, you will instantly revive (with full shields) as long as there is a living enemy nearby, because you will rocket them to death. All of your explosive damage will almost immediately let you start zerking again.

Carry a sniper rifle and smg that do explosive damage as well, so that you can reset the cooldown on zerking during those "I feel like being long range" moments. You can then use that to heal yourself whenever you want.
    Level 50 Bricking goes just like level ~11-49 Bricking.
    1. Run toward visible (preferably non-shielded) enemy.
    2. Shotgun to face and chest.
    3. Gain crazy bonuses.
    4. Repeat from 1 until all enemies have been replaced with sparkly loot.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Holy fuck this thread moves fast. Who's making the new one?

Also, what does the multiplier mean for elemental damage? I see Fire x 3 or 1 and have no idea what it means. Does it mean the elemental damage is equal to weapon damage times whatever?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Here's my build:

3. Gain crazy bonuses.

You forgot the part where you hit the oh shit button if things start going south and punch things into a thin paste.

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quick question: When you have a +melee damage% weapon equipped does it also up the damage you do while using a different weapon?

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Also, what does the multiplier mean for elemental damage? I see Fire x 3 or 1 and have no idea what it means. Does it mean the elemental damage is equal to weapon damage times whatever?

No, I believe it's the chance for an elemental effect to occur (like setting someone on fire, etc.)

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    nealcm wrote: »

A bunch of pages back it was said that the people who discovered the "smaller font to get 5 lines" trick also noticed that on things like Sniper Rifles it still didn't show all the lines. Sniper Rifles always have a Zoom line and a 150% Critical Hit line. And I think they had a Sniper rifle that didn't have one of those showing, even with the small font. So it's possible there could be a sixth line + more.

What's really annoying is this; the group who worked on a font fix for the items is now realizing that even with reduced font size, small enough to display 8-9 items on a card, it may still only list 5 because that's how many show up in the debug window.

Sniper rifles always have at least +150% crit damage; find a sniper rifle with 5 listed mods that aren't +crit damage and you've got missing mods still.

So class mods that could have 6, 7, or 8 modifiers are still tricky/impossible to detect.

I was cursed with the bottom of the previous page... so if you didn't catch it.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    No, the multiplier just refers to the strength (and possibly the chance of activating?) the elemental effect and elemental damage.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It corresponds to how many times it has a chance to go off on one attack. x1 is only ever going to hit once, but x4 may go off 2-4 times if you're lucky.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Pretty sure that's the chance of it triggering.

Though I guess with sniper rifles that would make it the speed at which you can fire to still have it trigger too.

EDIT: Guess I'm wrong.

Khavall on
  • Options
    NastymanNastyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow 3 different answers to that question already.

Nastyman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Hrm, well, that's just annoying. :|

Zetx on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    EDIT: Guess I'm wrong.
    Or we're all just working from different experiences.

Remember, weapon type changes how elemental effects proc.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nastyman wrote: »
    Wow 3 different answers to that question already.

Shows that none of us are completely sure. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just shoot people with this on my brick
    goodgun.jpg

it's full-auto so once I kill someone and the extra damage and rof kicks in it just rips anything apart.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    3. Gain crazy bonuses.

You forgot the part where you hit the oh shit button if things start going south and punch things into a thin paste.
    Honestly, that never happens anymore. Make it to 80% or so DR and it never gets to that point.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited November 2009
    3. Gain crazy bonuses.

Honestly, that never happens anymore. Make it to 80% or so DR and it never gets to that point.

Is damage resistance applied to your shield, or just your health?

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Quick question: When you have a +melee damage% weapon equipped does it also up the damage you do while using a different weapon?
    Only the weapon with the bonus. In fact, I'm fairly sure you're only getting the bonuses with attacks that specifically animate the weapon being used for the melee attack, so things like phasewalk and berserk attacks don't get it.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited November 2009

Hrm, well, that's just annoying. :|

And, yes, the weapons are hard coded to show only 5 lines of modifications, which is really lame sauce. It's stated on the Gearbox forums thread I linked a few pages back with the .ini PC change to show 5 lines. I hope to hell they change it. Somehow.

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    3. Gain crazy bonuses.

Is damage resistance applied to your shield, or just your health?
    It seems to apply to shield as well. Then again, my shield is huge, so it might just be that.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Only the weapon with the bonus. In fact, I'm fairly sure you're only getting the bonuses with attacks that specifically animate the weapon being used for the melee attack, so things like phasewalk and berserk attacks don't get it.
    You'll notice that during berserk/phasewalk your weapon is unequipped.

You'll also notice that during Mordecai's "Lethal Strike" proc his weapon is NOT unequipped, and can still get the bonus.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    fodderboy wrote: »
    Apparently Borderlands has decided to randomly reboot my computer.

From scanning the gearbox forums, it looks like there is an issue with video drivers that cause them to crash (the driver). Sometimes the computer can recover, some times it can't - most of the time it is a black screen and then a reboot for me. I just made it to crazy earl and have had four of these crashes, about 5-15 minutes into the zone.

Very frustrating.

Anyone else run in to this?
    This happens to me more than a few times each game, mostly resulting in blue screens.

Out of interest, you guys use XP?

Rook on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do the titles near the experience bar mean anything?

I'm a "Survivor" for some reason, but in screenshots I've seen others.

Khavall on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It changes depending on your equipped class mod.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Those come from the mod you have equipped.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It's your title according to what tree you put the most points in to, I believe. My Sniper Mordecai is an "Assassin".

e: I believe...wrong? Ah well! That makes sense then.

MonkeyConQueso on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Class Mods have titles. Each title indicates a specific type of bonus. Warmongers are damage and Revenge, Titans are Unbreakable and bonus health. That kind of thing.

@Pikapuff: Yeah, I've noticed. I just wanted to make that clear. I had a very unhappy coop partner who was under the impression that their berserk damage would triple with their +200% melee shotgun.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    fodderboy wrote: »
    Apparently Borderlands has decided to randomly reboot my computer.

From scanning the gearbox forums, it looks like there is an issue with video drivers that cause them to crash (the driver). Sometimes the computer can recover, some times it can't - most of the time it is a black screen and then a reboot for me. I just made it to crazy earl and have had four of these crashes, about 5-15 minutes into the zone.

Very frustrating.

Anyone else run in to this?
    This happens to me more than a few times each game, mostly resulting in blue screens.

Out of interest, you guys use XP?

Nope, Vista 64-bit.

fodderboy on
This discussion has been closed.