Options

Anyone know things about timeshares?

BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
edited October 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I know the usual criticisms, the hard selling, the high price of entry etc. I don't think that advice is going to apply here because I'm not buying it from the company. Mainly looking for advice and experiences on timeshares and the selling thereof.

A family member offered to sell me his timeshare in Playa del Carmen for $900. The company charges a $500 transfer fee. The annual commitment is one week at $310 per week for the room only (this is not fixed but he says it's only gone up $50 in the past ten years). If I want to reserve additional weeks they are $1600 each week but are all-inclusive (food, drinks, shows).

So as I understand it I'd be on the hook for $310 whether I use the week or not. I don't see myself buying additional weeks because for that price I would just go somewhere else, so I'm not really concerned about the all-inclusive price. In addition, this isn't tied to a certain week of the year, you call and make a reservation for any time they have space available at the resort.

Questions:
From what I've read you can sell your timeshare to someone else, or put it on eBay, just like this person is selling it to me. Anyone had experience that says otherwise?

Seems as though the main downsides to timeshares are (A) same vacation place every year (B) high price of entry takes a long time to amortize into savings. With only $1400 as an entry fee am I ahead of the game?

Feel free to criticize the whole time-share thing but remember in my situation I am not going to be facing the salesman and the contract terms are already set with a much lower initial fee than was originally paid.

Backstop on

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    $310 for a week in Playa del Carmen is about what you'd pay for a stay in a decent room (with its own bathroom and air conditioning, within a few blocks of the beach) the last time I was there, which was three or four years ago...

It's a nice central city on the Yucatan coastline... you can definitely make up several week-long vacations worth of travel there if you really want to explore the area... so it's not the worst time share you could buy, I imagine.

I don't really know much about the business end, though.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If it's really a super deal, you gotta wonder why. Couldn't he sell it for more then $900 to someone else? If not, why? Are there some monthly/yearly fees that are not being disclosed? Is there some major maintenance that needs to be done (e.g. new roof, repairs to common areas)?

Caveat: I know dick-all about timeshares, thinking about this as if it were a condo.

Djeet on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Backstop wrote: »

So as I understand it I'd be on the hook for $310 whether I use the week or not. I don't see myself buying additional weeks because for that price I would just go somewhere else, so I'm not really concerned about the all-inclusive price. In addition, this isn't tied to a certain week of the year, you call and make a reservation for any time they have space available at the resort.

Supposedly, this is how tons of timeshares get you. Good luck finding availability.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Personally I would shy away from it, but really it's up to you. At those prices you're not going to be breaking the bank, but once you get stuck into one of these things, they are damn hard to get out of. I don't think I've ever come across a time share that was actually a good deal, they seem more directed at older clientelle with money to burn, but this one doesn't necessarily sound terrible either. As to your lower entry price, I couldn't really tell you much there, you'll have to do your research to figure out if buying in at that price makes sound financial sense.

Were you to really consider doing this I would make damn sure there are no hidden fees or anything else nefarious going on, and definitely inquire about availablity and so on. As said above, it seems like a nice hotel room would cost you about the same and you would be stuck having to make payments on the thing either.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd assume he could be selling it to someone else for more, but it's a family member so... I know I wouldn't gouge a family member personally.

Penguin_Otaku on
    sig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd assume he could be selling it to someone else for more, but it's a family member so... I know I wouldn't gouge a family member personally.

I mean, that's you, perhaps his relative is not so honorable. He may be having a hard as hell time trying to get rid of the thing and is trying to pawn it off on a trusting relative.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011

adytum on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My family has had a timeshare in Solana Beach for 20 or so years. At least as far as I can remember. We've never had any problems with them, they've never gouged us for money or not had awesome facilites when we went for a couple weeks a year. That said, we've also never "traded" weeks with anyone and they recently raised prices to cover some massive upgrades (nice flatscreens in every room, new paint/roof, new jacuzzi, others).

Not all timeshares are scams(No matter what the general PA poster will have you believe), get reviews for the place online and see if perhaps you can talk to people who have stayed there.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    All you really need to know is that the world "timeshare" is interchangable with the word "boondoggle."

Tell him thanks, but if you want to blow money and get jack shit for it, you'll look at booze, drugs, and high-quality hookers first.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Timeshares can be great; it's a convenient way to "own" a portion of a residence for just a part of a year, without all of the hassle of owning it "for real." Think of them like a weird sort of rent.

That doesn't mean that they're universally great. As you say in your post, the downside is that this would be someplace you'd go to each year, to the same place and for the same things. If you like it, then it's awesome, as a lot of timeshare locations are rather nicer than what you'd get just staying at a resort for X dollars (usually suites if in a hotel, or small houses/duplexes/apartments, which means it might have kitchen amenities).

For example, plenty of people have 'vacation homes' that are essentially just timeshares. A lot of people like the consistency and it gives them something to look forward to. I've got a friend here at work who goes on a cruise every year, generally to the same locations but likes being on the boat and on a vacation, and he looks forward to it. My parents are occasionally tempted by timeshares because they have no qualms with going to essentially the same place. But they have the vacation time as well as specific vacation money for this.

The other reasons are generally bunk -- don't buy timeshares for investment purposes or for, well, any other reason than you want to vacation there every year.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My family has had a timeshare in Solana Beach for 20 or so years. At least as far as I can remember. We've never had any problems with them, they've never gouged us for money or not had awesome facilites when we went for a couple weeks a year. That said, we've also never "traded" weeks with anyone and they recently raised prices to cover some massive upgrades (nice flatscreens in every room, new paint/roof, new jacuzzi, others).

Not all timeshares are scams(No matter what the general PA poster will have you believe), get reviews for the place online and see if perhaps you can talk to people who have stayed there.

My family has a time share and it's never been a problem for us. But the one we have is pretty great mainly because the company has multiple resorts and we can stay at whichever one we feel like.

Honestly, do some research and see if other people like it or not.

Etch on
  • Options
    KathrisKathris __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    You can almost ALWAYS stay at a similiar place with similiar amenities for a similiar price as to the overall yearly cost of your timeshare.

And that way YOU get to decide when to take the vacation, not whatever "week" you own.

If it were me, I wouldnt take it even if he offered it for free and you just had to pay the yearly "upkeep".

Kathris on
    673478-1.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This sounds a lot less like what most people think of as "timeshares" and a lot more like a "vacation club."

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

What I was getting at is it would behoove him to figure out the "market" rate of the timeshare and see if what his relative is asking is competitive; if it's not it may be indicative of some defect/issue*. When selling to a relative or friend I wouldn't necessarily offer them a sweet deal, nor would I gouge them; I'd offer them the "what I'll take" price, not the "what I'd ask for" price.

Personally, I balk at selling anything "major" to friends or family. If the buyer encounters some random unforeseen expense relatively soon after the sale (or even down the line), that could put pressure on the relationship. Shit can happen even if no one's trying to screw anyone over. If it's a stranger, well caveat emptor.

I don't see any particular value in a timeshare, particularly one that does not appear to have kitchen facilities (what's the "all-inclusive" stuff about?). Will it be cheaper then renting a condo?

*Unless this relative owes you a favor or something, and a cut-rate price is a way of making it up to you.

Djeet on
  • Options
    BackstopBackstop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The reason for the sale: He has three 2-week timeshares with three different resorts in the area. A new resort is getting built, and he wants in, so he gave them his three timeshares in trade towards one 6-week share at the new place. One of them is the Allegro, and the new place said "We already gave you your trade-in value but if you want to keep it we'll take $900 for it." This is their least favorite of the three resorts but since we'd gone on vacation to Playa with him a couple of times he thought he'd offer it to us at that price. I f we don;t want it he's no out anything. I see this same room type at the same resort on buy-my-timeshare websites for anywhere from $5000 to $17000 but I imagine those are pie in the sky asking prices.

I wouldn't be paying the $1600/wk ever, only the $310 for the week (I wouldn't opt for the all-inclusive food, I'd rather find places to eat in town). I guess if we use it four years, adding up the yearly, and the price, and the transfer, would add up to about $100 a night anyway. Hrm.

We have been to the area before, but not this hotel. I know the beach wasn't so nice because of the hurricanes, but I thought they had dredged up a bunch of sand to expand them back. It's not like a condo where we'd be renting the same place every time, they'd give us any studio-level room available.

So, while this looks like a decent deal it's not much better than just getting a room through travelocity or something. The only advantage being it would get us into the trading scene and maybe we could use it to score inexpensive weeks at other places.

Backstop on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    This sounds a lot less like what most people think of as "timeshares" and a lot more like a "vacation club."

How so? it sounds like a family person offering a slightly better than normal deal to another family member to get out of a time share.

Time shares are forever or at least long enough to be a problem.
    Also I got lice just looking at one once.

I know neither of those are helpful advice but at some point both sayings will echo in the head of a person involved in a time share.

useless4 on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Timeshares are awesome if you don't like flexibility. Personally, I hate the very concept, but my best friend growing up somehow still loves going to Maui and staying at the same hotel in the same town during the same week every year, and somehow he never has problems with his employer being all "we have a big project wrapping up during that week so I can't give you time off," has never had a baby being born that week, and I suppose he refuses to make friends with people born during the second week in June unless they're comfortable with knowing that he will never, not even once, celebrate their birthdays.

Personally, I don't know how he does it.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm pretty sure Allegro is indeed a "vacation club" and not a "timeshare." I'm not sure what the differences are other then with a vacation club you reserve a slot at a resort (whatever room is available, and there may be a possibility to upgrade when you arrive onsite) and traditionally in a timeshare you're always going to be in the same unit.

I'd totally do a timeshare in Maui. So long as the fees remained constant, it had a kitchen and was walking distance from a beach I liked. I just never found one that was cheaper then securing a condo. I can always tack on a stay at a nice hotel at the end of the vacation.

Djeet on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Modern timeshares are more of a "you are buying into unit 26b but look... you actually can trade shares in that for vacations at any of these OTHER timeshare locations"

They are trying to sell as a vacation type deal, but legally you own 1/52th of an actual physical unit . That's so you are legally bound and can't try to get out without facing legal recourse.

useless4 on