As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 10-28-09: all will be well

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DR The List: Punisher. Holy Shit what an ending.
    Daken actually succeeds in killing Frank. In the most brutal and nasty way possible.

I wish Marvel had kept the whole "Frankencastle" thing under wraps till after this came out since you could kinda see the ending coming but still fantastic. Bravo Rick Remender.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My moment of the week was seeing Craig Kyle and Chris Yost at the local comic shop and having them sign the Necrosha one-shot.

I haven't gone to the shop in a few weeks, but I like this Spider-woman #1, and the whole "everything is language" schtick was actually pretty good in New Mutants #6.

desc on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Daken actually succeeds in killing Frank. In the most brutal and nasty way possible.

I wish Marvel had kept the whole "Frankencastle" thing under wraps till after this came out since you could kinda see the ending coming but still fantastic. Bravo Rick Remender.

I now want to see Molly of the Runaways beat the tar out of Daken.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    GL #47:
    gl47a.jpg

gl47b.jpg

gl47c.jpg

gl47d.jpg

I think GL #47 was a lot better than BN #4, and reading either one first doesn't matter.
    I like the drill construct a lot, and half suspect it may have been a subtle reference to TTGL.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wish I was in charge of the X books so I can kill off everyone from an alternate reality/future/whatthefuckever. That shit just doesn't make any damn sense anymore.

Algertman on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've gotta say, I thought X-Force was pretty badass this week. X-23 had some cool moments.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Incredible Herc was pretty good this week. This book and it's characters are really starting to grow on me. Cho has gone from being an annoying little bastard to being a really cool character IMO.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ambush Bug: Year None #7 is my MotW for the sheer balls of it. The entire mini-series has been really disjointed story-wise, and since I'm only an occasional DC reader with no in-depth knowledge of the obscure bits, I only got maybe half of what was going on, but there were some great digs at and satire of DC events. Issue #7 was basically Giffen smearing DiDio in shit, from the credits page to the last page. I'm shocked that he got away with it. I remember being embarrassed by the incredible amount of passive-aggression from DiDio towards Giffen at the DC panel of this year's NYCC, but if someone were to publicly portray me the way DiDio was portrayed in Ambush Bug, I'd probably be pretty pissed, too.

Delduwath on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What happened in Punisher The List? I'd love to see some scans.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I was hoping against hope Frakencastle was just a Halloween special.

I am not happy.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    stop being unhappy about the best thing

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    is dr: punisher: the list awesome guys? it sounds that way.
    i hope it gets to trade soon.

DouglasDanger on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If you have liked the current Rick Remender Punisher run you'll love DR List: Punisher. The hardcover of all the List titles comes out in January just so you know.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    is dr: punisher: the list awesome guys? it sounds that way.
    i hope it gets to trade soon.

It is pretty awesome, I'm just bitter.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23503

That's an interview with Rick Remeder regarding future issues of the Punisher (heavy SPOILERS in the interview). That book looks like it'll be awesome as hell.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23503

That's an interview with Rick Remeder regarding future issues of the Punisher (heavy SPOILERS in the interview). That book looks like it'll be awesome as hell.

I have to say, I kinda like the idea behind this - the implementation does worry me a bit (like Clone Saga worry).

Slagmire on
  • TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    So Gotham City Siren's explained why Paul Dini's Joker is fine while Morrison's had his face shot.
    It isn't the Joker but one of his old henchmen Gaggy, who's been masquerading as Joker in Dini's book. He's jealous of Harley taking over his role as Joker's right hand. I don't know if Dini made up this character on the spot or whether it's an old character from back in the day, but I guess that explains why there was a Joker running around fine in Dini's book when he shouldn't be.

Other moment of the week was Madame Xanadu getting it's regular artist back in Amy Reeder Hadley.

And the Blackest Night stuff wasn't too bad either. :)

Oh thank god, the art is a big reason why I love the book. It's gorgeous. Notice how dynamic the characters are. They never sit still, but keep subtly changing positions. The facial expressions are always... well, expressive, and always fit the scene perfectly. She makes the characters come to life. It's great.

According to Wikipedia, Madame Xanadu is the second comic she's done. I'm surprised she's not better known.

TeaSpoon on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm gonna say it, Anti-Venom: New Ways To Die Part 2 was great. Funny, decent, Eddies still a little whiny but its made up for by this.
    First Eddie decides to eject all the buckshot from his brain.

asmpavnwtl02005copy.jpg

Frank calls a truce, before doing this.
    asmpavnwtl02012copy.jpg

Realising killing him isnt so easy anymore they take a little road trip, Frank promises not to try and kill him anymore.
    asmpavnwtl02015copy.jpg

And finally, we get a splash which actually makes the Anti-Venom suit look pretty boss.
    asmpavnwtl02024copy.jpg

Though if they keep all his powers from this canon I cant see him having the suit long, its Venom but with no weaknesses and which can heal having your brain blown apart by buckshot. Or at least slightly contused.

DarkWarrior on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Punisher's never ever ever give up attitude there was funny, especially with the knife.

TexiKen on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So I'm gonna say it, Anti-Venom: New Ways To Die Part 2 was great. Funny, decent, Eddies still a little whiny but its made up for by this.
    First Eddie decides to eject all the buckshot from his brain.

asmpavnwtl02005copy.jpg

Frank calls a truce, before doing this.
    asmpavnwtl02012copy.jpg

Realising killing him isnt so easy anymore they take a little road trip, Frank promises not to try and kill him anymore.
    asmpavnwtl02015copy.jpg

And finally, we get a splash which actually makes the Anti-Venom suit look pretty boss.
    asmpavnwtl02024copy.jpg

Though if they keep all his powers from this canon I cant see him having the suit long, its Venom but with no weaknesses and which can heal having your brain blown apart by buckshot. Or at least slightly contused.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wow. Punisher : The List was brutal this week. So many pieces.

The face slice was the best, such a gory issue.

Sharp101 on
    edited October 2009
    Initiative was decent this week though it seems to be several months behind other comics, for instance the Hood is still depowered or relatively underpowered. But yeah, good read.

DarkWarrior on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    After so many years of fighting, it ends up with Daken?
    Daken??!!

muninn on
    edited October 2009
    muninn wrote: »
    After so many years of fighting, it ends up with Daken?
    Daken??!!

See: Bitching Thread

DarkWarrior on
  • ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    man that fight was so brutally well done, it could have been Forbushman and i still would have gone with it.

Except you know, for that last page, seeing all the parts in a pile. That was just too over the top

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    To go back to X-Factor, for all you people that are unhappy with the Layla stuff, it was foreshadowed way back in X-Factor 06
    X-Factor06p08.jpg

Then, at the end,

X-Factor06p23.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why couldn't the X-factor art stay just like that?

Mai-Kero on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    To go back to X-Factor, for all you people that are unhappy with the Layla stuff, it was foreshadowed way back in X-Factor 06
    X-Factor06p08.jpg

Then, at the end,

X-Factor06p23.jpg

There's a difference between "oh, I was lying about my powers all along!" and
    "Oh, I know stuff because my future self from when I time travel into the dystopian future time traveled back into the past to tell me everything, but I don't have all the details, because magiscience!. Also, instead of doing anything to prevent said dystopian future, I'm going to screw around and be cryptic all the time. Gosh, aren't I neat?

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    X-Factor06p08.jpg

Then, at the end,

X-Factor06p23.jpg

"Oh, I know stuff because my future self from when I time travel into the dystopian future time traveled back into the past to tell me everything, but I don't have all the details, because magiscience!. Also, instead of doing anything to prevent said dystopian future, I'm going to screw around and be cryptic all the time. Gosh, aren't I neat?
    She can't stop the future. And she has to be cryptic because if she's not, everyone else will (try to) stop the future, and she can't let that happen. That's her entire point

edit:
    Or, for all we know, reversing the M Day stuff will cause the future. I know it's been a while since it's been brought up, but Layla used to be all "I can't let X-Factor undo M Day or else bad things"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor06p08.jpg

Then, at the end,

X-Factor06p23.jpg

She can't stop the future. And she has to be cryptic because if she's not, everyone else will (try to) stop the future, and she can't let that happen. That's her entire point

edit:
    Or, for all we know, reversing the M Day stuff will cause the future. I know it's been a while since it's been brought up, but Layla used to be all "I can't let X-Factor undo M Day or else bad things"
    Yes, she can stop the future. That's the point of absolutely every What If and so on set in the dystopian futures. That's what the X-Men are fighting against. It's basically the reason they were formed in the first place. Now some are horribly incompetent at it (Bishop, Cable, and now Layla. Oh, and every time they don't just destroy organizations like the Purifiers and the Sentinels), but they should still generally at least appear to attempt to try to stop the badness from happening.

Fencingsax on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor06p08.jpg

Then, at the end,

X-Factor06p23.jpg

Then
    What's the point of saying anything at all if she can't change shit? It seems like nothing more than an excuse for a character with a persistent mystique of emot-smug.gif

Time travel is seriously the worst. Always and I wish less people would use it.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited October 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    X-Factor06p08.jpg

Then, at the end,

X-Factor06p23.jpg

Then
    What's the point of saying anything at all if she can't change shit? It seems like nothing more than an excuse for a character with a persistent mystique of emot-smug.gif

Time travel is seriously the worst. Always and I wish less people would use it.

Yes, this too. Time travel seriously is absolute shit unless you commit to it, and the way comics are, they cannot. It also makes Layla absolutely intolerable, because instead of being the cryptic oracle trying to guide her people to a better tomorrow, she's the cryptic oracle who is in fact a smug git.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor:
    Old Layla said there'd be huge gaps in her memory. That's why she's cryptic. Even she doesn't have the complete picture of the significance of her actions

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor:
    Old Layla said there'd be huge gaps in her memory. That's why she's cryptic. Even she doesn't have the complete picture of the significance of her actions
    That, too.
    And like I said, maybe she is trying to stop it. We don't know. We just found out how she knows what she knows. Her motives are still a blank. It's obvious that (adult) Layla thinks she can't stop it, for whatever reason, but maybe that will change. Character development and all.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited October 2009
    X-Factor:

Yeah, I mentioned that. That's not why she's cryptic. She's cryptic because she doesn't want to reveal how and what exactly she knows.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor:

Yeah, I mentioned that. That's not why she's cryptic. She's cryptic because she doesn't want to reveal how and what exactly she knows.
    I thought she wouldn't remember the exchange with herself because of the gaps. Is there any indication she does?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor:

I thought she wouldn't remember the exchange with herself because of the gaps. Is there any indication she does?
    That's not what I meant. She probably doesn't remember meeting her future self. But she made a choice to not tell them what she knew in a logical and effective way. Instead of saying "If this goes on, things are going to get bad", or "If we don't solve Decimation in exactly the right way, things are going to go to hell", she decides to bluff.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor:

That's not what I meant. She probably doesn't remember meeting her future self. But she made a choice to not tell them what she knew in a logical and effective way. Instead of saying "If this goes on, things are going to get bad", or "If we don't solve Decimation in exactly the right way, things are going to go to hell", she decides to bluff.
    How would you explain, "I have vague memories about how it might be important to do this seemingly random thing, but I cannot say why it's important or if it'll even be to our benefit," in a logical manner?

Furthermore, if she remembers that she's supposed to do X, then she probably also remembers how she should do X which means she remembers that she should do it in a cryptic manner. If she didn't, X might not get done at exactly the moment it needs to get done.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited October 2009
    X-Factor:

How would you explain, "I have vague memories about how it might be important to do this seemingly random thing, but I cannot say why it's important or if it'll even be to our benefit," in a logical manner?

Furthermore, if she remembers that she's supposed to do X, then she probably also remembers how she should do X which means she remembers that she should do it in a cryptic manner. If she didn't, X might not get done at exactly the moment it needs to get done.
    She could say, "I have a limited view of the future, and I know X will happen, and it would be better for everyone if it didn't."

It really depends on how fractured and specific her memory is, which I don't think PAD will ever really focus on. It's one of the reasons I don't like these types of stories, because either she knows enough that she shouldn't need to act the way she's acting, or she doesn't know enough and should not be nearly as sure of herself as she is.

Fencingsax on
    edited October 2009
    Or she knows enough to know how she should act, which isn't the way she'd usually choose to act because it's cryptic and manipulative.

Robos A Go Go on