As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valeryce's art thread: now with more TF2 propaganda

valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey AC,

I'm a junior in art school but I feel like I'm still very much a beginner. Here's some stuff I've done recently. Feedback is loved. Help me not suck!

Here's some drawings from life. The trees are for class but the life drawing is for fun. I suck at it majorly since I've been practicing 3D more and more and have been neglecting my life drawing studies, I seriously need the practice. I especially suck at color so I have been working to improve it. Anyone know any good color theory websites and/or books I can buy? Or books/websites on compositions?

fnsgzs.jpg

20sde1w.jpg

65zog2.jpg

2a7uakw.jpg

2we9mh5.jpg

72sqvb.jpg

Here's more 2D art. Did all this with photoshop. The Jeb (guy with bear fur on his neck) character sheets are from last semester, I'm posting them because I honestly really liked making them, but everything else is from September-October this year. Some of it is for my game team which is a game about robots from the 80's fighting other robots from the 80's and they're all made of junk. You get to build your own robot out of 80s junk.
mme6gm.jpg

34q2vsw.jpg

2dt4x9h.jpg

nfs8kw.jpg

2ns5ee8.jpg
Also some 3D art from my junior projects. All of it is a huuuugeee WIP
2db5hg7.jpg

25u04fl.jpg

2z7kdxh.jpg

2a8n3fq.jpg

Zbrush head sculpt. Makes me wish I didn't suck at Zbrush.
vyozr9.jpg

Feedback is loved. For every crit you give me a kitten gets a whole bottle of tuna covered bacon glazed cat treats. Srsly.

Art Blog!
I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
valeryce on

• Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If I was going to take a stab at your major, I would call out animation. Just based on your style. I won't critique your work piece by piece, since that would be mostly an exercise in repetition. It is clear to me that you have been paying more attention to the 3D aspect, because it does look stronger, if simple.

I really wouldn't worry about color too much right now if I were you. Color theory is basically understanding the principles behind the color wheel. Compliments, warm colors, cold colors and the like. Once you know the color wheel you can apply different color schemes to it, like triadic or analogous. And then you get into subtler themes of color relativity. Colors looking warm or cold next to other colors, even if all of the colors are warm, say, in their own right.

But before you delve into that, you should learn more about the form. You should probably work in black nd white and really understand how light affects and object or person in space. Rather than drawing what you know (i.e. "a person"), draw only what you really see. Break things down so that you can see how things shrink as they move into the distance, and where darker or lighter values appear on a form to define it's shape. I know I'm talking abstractly here, but without concrete examples it's hard to do anything but that.

A good book for that would be "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards. That would be a strong place to start. Other than that, perhaps grab some anatomy books and start referencing poses if you don't have any models to work with freely.

As for an immediate appeaser, here's a link to a very good tutorial on the fundamentals of drawing or painting form:

tutorial

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Can you post a non smoothed verison of your old lady model, especially her face?

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hey, thanks! I own a copy of Betty Edward's book actually- drawing on the right side of the brain. As part of freshman year, the summer before art 101 we were required to buy the book, read it cover to cover and do every exercise in it. It is a damn good book. I need to go back and do it again though, since, well, I'm still a beginner. I think senior year we're required to do all of the exercises in the book again.

Yes, animation is my major. I'm one of the students from digipen on this forum.

You're right about me needing to do more studies though. I need to go to life drawing more often and do more form/anatomical studies.

I'll post more animations on this thread too for your enjoyment once I upload them to the youtubes and the like. I have some animations I've done recently too.
    Can you post a non smoothed verison of your old lady model, especially her face?

Done and done. I'm assuming you want edges too and not a render? I also tweaked the edges around the mouth more so they're more... believable and less spread out. This is the low poly head obj I used for my zbrush sculpt.

hsopk0.jpg

More edits: Holy mother of processed meats this psg art tutorial is freaking amazing. I wish I found this last year.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    2mm93qp.jpg

So my character is rigged, skinned and textured now.

Here's my to-do list:

1. Figure out how to get normals out of zbrush so they look good.
    2. Re do the hands.
    3. Make hair not look like it's made of chrome.
    4. Finish the textures.
    5. Figure out how to work DOF in maya so that it looks good.
    6. Re-do the lights to make them look like florescents. Actually re-do a huge part of the lighting so it's not so dark. I think making the walks not that dark shade of blue would help.
    7. Make maya SSS skin look good w/more sub dermal maps

I'm starting posing and animation this week. Wish me luck :>

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    iz0oly.jpg

Quick face painting, probably only 3 hours. Just wanted something to work on besides the old woman I have been doing. Currently re-modeling her hands.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Some updates. Here's a look and feel WIP for my next junior project. Huge huge WIP, I've barely blocked in the colors. Hooray polygonal lasso tool and hard brushes. I'm going to be modeling this today, hopefully it'll turn out good.

34xnts5.jpg

Also some assets for my game team. All of these are for a game engine and are thus really low poly with low rez textures. These are basic MAX renders with no bump maps and default lighting. The programmers haven't shown me how to use their model loader yet so I don't know what they will look like in engine.

e6ot9z.jpg

tao2l2.jpg

2a7yc7l.jpg

Edit: Feedback and crits are loved as always. <3

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're an animation major, then you need to start cracking down on those basic shapes stat.

I'm all for art styles, but your characters seem to be lacking basic form and sturdiness. You plug away at the details without making sure everything you have layed out prior is rock-solid. There's more to this animation business than wa-wa-wacky faces!

This is extremely important in traditional animation. For 3D (which seems to be more of your interest), you can get away with a lot more from what i've seen, but the stronger your layout and construction, the easier it will make things for you in the long run.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Construction is definitely something I need to work on, especially for the 2D stuff. It's also important to think about maintaining volumes in 3D, believe it or not, since depending on how you skin stuff the mesh will deform differently.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    be6h51.jpg

Lighting update

25exkki.jpg

Very quick character design.

20hmqsz.jpg

Environment concept to go with monkey.

33ue651.jpg

TF2 propaganda complete with givng typos. I turned it in before I noticed said typo. Awesome.

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2009
    hiya bryanna

nice to see another digipen fellow here

(this is matt)

the game team stuff is coming along nicely

you guys have any video from first playable? I've been really curious to see how your guys' project is coming along.

do you know what model loader you're using? Is it all in FBX, or...?

the environment lighting update looks good, but I'm worried it'll be too saturated, that you'll lose some of your framing with your character in there, since there isn't a strong contrast in saturation or tone between the character and the environment. Dimming the far wall a bit to help push it back a little might help.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Hallo Matt :> I saw your thread on here before, I know yoooouuu!

We're using FBX for our game. No, we don't have a video yet. Our devs don't have all of our art in yet so there's placeholders (eep) hence why I haven't shared it online >_>

You're totally right about the environment. I should make those changes. :>

valeryce on
    Art Blog!