Options

Nintendo DSi XL - LL

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Essentially this revision is coming out so the people who said they would never ever buy a DSi have an out, a second chance so they can save face now that it's shown itself to be pretty ok.

It's OK if you don't already have a DS. Completely worthless as an upgrade though from a Lite though.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Essentially this revision is coming out so the people who said they would never ever buy a DSi have an out, a second chance so they can save face now that it's shown itself to be pretty ok.

It's OK if you don't already have a DS. Completely worthless as an upgrade though from a Lite though.

I don't know. I like the far superior buttons, and more well built machine (Hinges, ect.). And if those are pointless, then so is the lite's better screens over the phat.

I could never go back to a lite myself. The buttons are just so awful.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm not super-interested in the i, but my lite is kinda worn out, and since I need a new one anyway, there's really no reason not to get one.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm...apparently the XL is only slightly bigger & heavier than a regular first generation DS.

161mm x 94.4mm x 21.2mm, 314 grams (DSI XL)

vs.

148.7mm x 84.7mm x 28.9mm, 300 grams (DS)

I was wondering about this. I'm still rocking my DS phat, beat up as it is, and I've just been waiting for a really good excuse to nab something in the DSi line. I don't really mind the phat's weight, and the XL appears to be thinner which is a bonus.

Really though, this strikes me as something made for older generations who are just getting into hand held gaming now. Or maybe that's just the brown talking.

I'd probably get a regular DSi.

Falstaff on
    Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think anybody completely denied the dsi

it's just that it costs more with no real benefit

once games start coming out that take advantage of the camera and things, I'm sure a lot of people will want one

good games, that is

This occurred a month or two after launch, same as any console. The built in browser is quite handy and the best downloadable software is Flipnote Studio, pretty cool that they released it for free with all the web-based networking/connectivity it has. My sister still spends hours making stop motion videos with figurines and such. And you of course don't have to find that personally compelling, but in speaking of "a lot of people," it has been and continues to be very popular.

On the game side it's been nice having quick games like Dr. Mario and Pictobits on the main menu. I still play both of them on and off. There's been more in-depth software like Flip Chimps, Dragon Quest Wars and Thorium Wars that have been well received, you ought to look into what's available.

DSiware has taken off pretty well.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The problem with DSiWare at the moment is that although there are a few games that I might download if I had a DSi, there's nothing that screams system seller to me at the moment.

I'd love to have an excuse to pick up a DSi as my old original DS has definitely seen better days, but I can't justify spending around $200 on a system that I essentially already own, just for a nicer screen (on a system that can't really take advantage of such) and a couple of extra games. That's why I got a PSP Go instead of a DSi - sure, it was more expensive, but it gave me access to a ton of games that I really wanted and couldn't play before. Heck, at this point, I think I'm more inclined to spend the insanely expensive prices for a bigger XBox 360 hard drive than I am to buy a DSi, short of my original DS breaking down completely.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I am not going to lie: the prospect of being able to trade Pokemon with myself is a major selling point for picking up a DSi.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am not going to lie: the prospect of being able to trade Pokemon with myself is a major selling point for picking up a DSi.

True and I guess multiplayer offers a compelling reason for some people to pick up a second copy of the same portable system (or different versions of the same system). But then again, aren't DSiWare purchased tied to your system and not an account? From what I've heard, with the PSP & PSN, you can download any game you've purchased to up to 5 systems which would make it ideal for multiplayer if you had 2 systems in your possession, but with the DS, you'd have to purchase the game twice or stick with the mini-download multiplayer mode that some games offer.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    217524008_Vvt7q-L-2-excerpt.jpg
    ?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd probably see if I could get one of those pen stylus by itself, but (A Hori will probably make some (B A pen mod for a regular stylus probably isn't that hard.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    IceBurner wrote: »
    217524008_Vvt7q-L-2-excerpt.jpg
    ?

:?

Yeah.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've said this before, but I'd bet the main intended audience for this thing are the older, more casual people being drawn into gaming through the DS who are likely to be happy to trade some of the portability for a bigger screen. Hell, even the colors are going for a middle-aged appeal.

In other words, this:

227266538_TAhJD-L-2.jpg

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For some reason that comic is just hearwarming. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wulf wrote: »
    Speaking of cost, it costs more than a Wii. Surprised nobody is harping about that, what with the PSPGo hullabaloo.

A DS is better than a Wii.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think anybody completely denied the dsi

it's just that it costs more with no real benefit

once games start coming out that take advantage of the camera and things, I'm sure a lot of people will want one

good games, that is

That's pretty much my reason for not buying a DSi. I didn't even care about it until I heard Shantae was an exclusive for it.

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    $220?

I'll pass.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wulf wrote: »
    Speaking of cost, it costs more than a Wii. Surprised nobody is harping about that, what with the PSPGo hullabaloo.

Because they haven't announced a price outside of Japan (to my knowledge..), and so most places aren't reporting it, and so a lot of people don't know what the hell the price is.

Take me, for example. I had heard about this thing being announced and that it was coming to Japan this year and to the US by early next year, but I haven't heard anything about a price until you mentioned "it costs more than a Wii" and I had to google the price only to see that the number floating around is merely a yen to US dollar conversion.

It'll definitely cost more than a DSi though. And I think the DSi is a little too pricey for my tastes, to be honest. So if I'm not going to get a DSi I'm sure as hell not going to pay more for a DSi XL, even if I would potentially prefer it.

Guess I'll hold onto my Lite a little while longer.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    But there are quite a few good games on the DSi shop.

Plus Shantae is due out pretty soon.

there's really not. I am looking forward to Shantae though

Hello Wrongy McWrong. PicoPict alone proves you wrong.

WRONG

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I won't be buying back into the DS but all this talk about wanting a GBA slot makes me want an SP. But they are pretty expensive for how old they are.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    who cares if it costs more than a wii? It's only relevant if you are trying to decide between the two.

I'll probably buy the wine red one, it's so pretty.

It should also be noted that I am a panting slut for Nintendo products.

commathe on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    As a note, the DSi LL sells for exactly the same cost as the Wii in Japan (20,000 yen).

Opty on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    In that case, I think there's more reason to believe that the DSi XL will be $200 in the US than being, say, $220 like people are expecting...

Still too pricey in my book but whatever, I don't have to buy anything.

slash000 on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, they should be $350 over here in Australia.

To me, this is the same as Sony asking $450 for a PSP Go and $500 for a PS3.

Yet, people are less angry about this? I suppose yes, it is a lower price point across the board and DS's are pretty cool but....

Still. Seems a bit nit-picky to me.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Why are people angry at all about this? Because they dont want it? Do they get mad about every game that comes out that doesnt interest them?

You can stick with the regular DSi and not miss out on anything.

Though, it really is about time for a new gameboy handheld. Seems like they're always two generations behind, so gamecube quality should be next! I want my damn third pillar!

commathe on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    So, they should be $350 over here in Australia.

To me, this is the same as Sony asking $450 for a PSP Go and $500 for a PS3.

Yet, people are less angry about this? I suppose yes, it is a lower price point across the board and DS's are pretty cool but....

Still. Seems a bit nit-picky to me.

On the one hand I agree with you. On the other hand the PSP Go was $250, and lost a bunch of features without making up for the loss (in the minds of people that complained about it).

As for the DSi, people already rose a stink when the DSi came out. They bemoaned the battery life and lack of GBA slot and the meager cameras and to this day people still bitch every time there's a new "Clock" out on DSi Ware, as if they're forced to buy it or something.

The DSi XL isn't much of a change from that. The people that still dislike the idea of a hardware-upgraded DS with two meager cameras and lack of GBA slot may, or may not, still feel that way. But they're not going to start complaining all over again just because the same system is getting re-released with larger screens. The complaints, for this group, still stand.

So all that leaves is to bitch about the likely $200 price point; and/or bitching by people who may feel "gypped" because they just bought DSi's.

I think $200 is absurd but I don't speak for the market. (assuming it releases at $200 this spring)

slash000 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    commathe wrote: »
    Why are people angry at all about this? Because they dont want it? Do they get mad about every game that comes out that doesnt interest them?

You can stick with the regular DSi and not miss out on anything.

Though, it really is about time for a new gameboy handheld. Seems like they're always two generations behind, so gamecube quality should be next! I want my damn third pillar!

I guess people get mad about it because the pricing point to them seems like some sort of attempt to take advantage of consumers. It's like welcome to my world. I'm not made of money and I see a metric ton of shit I'd like to get, but I can't.

Henroid on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    But there are quite a few good games on the DSi shop.

Plus Shantae is due out pretty soon.

there's really not. I am looking forward to Shantae though

Hello Wrongy McWrong. PicoPict alone proves you wrong.

WRONG

To expound on this, the Art Style games on DSiWare are killer for people who like puzzle games. Pictobits, Aquia and BoxLife are really awesome and only five bucks a pop; I believe the 1,000 free points promo is now over, sadly, but they're still great games that have a ton of replayability. I haven't picked up the more recent Art Style games, but there are at least two more available. Plus, Dr. Mario, a handful of different Brain Age and Sudoku games that range from $2 to $8 and a few other bits.

DSiWare is still pretty sparse, but there are some good things available. I opted for a DSi when my DS Lite got the hinge crack, and I don't regret the decision at all (I also have a GB Micro).

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think its dumb because we havea huge lack of any kind of software (as in on cart) support for the DSi, and there releasing a hardware upgrade already.

I also have a bias as I was an early adopter and I am pissed with myself that I didnt wait, as I bought the DSi, literally only for the bigger screens.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't get being mad about different versions of the same system - it's not like anyone's forcing you to buy the new versions. I guess you could be mad that they're not releasing a DS2 instead, but with all of the 5 home and handheld consoles having great exclusives, I'd rather just have more time to pick up the systems I don't have (PSP down, just have the PS3 left).

One thing I think that is true of the DSi, DSi XL, and PSP Go is that they're all much more enticing to new users than existing users. I'm not about to spend around $200 on a DSi or DSi XL just for a few puzzle games & Wayforward games, but if I didn't already own a DS, I'd be all over them. Conversely, I'm really loving my PSP Go (and think it could really take off after a price drop), but if I already had one of the older PSPs, I would have passed.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's not like you're missing out on actual content, y'know?

But I guess the anger people feel should be directed at themselves. "Fuck, why'd I buy it then?!" It sucks. But that's what being a consumer (whore) is all about. :P

Henroid on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think its dumb because we havea huge lack of any kind of software (as in on cart) support for the DSi, and there releasing a hardware upgrade already.

I also have a bias as I was an early adopter and I am pissed with myself that I didnt wait, as I bought the DSi, literally only for the bigger screens.
    It's not a hardware upgrade like how the DSi was an actual hardware upgrade to the DS/DSLite, it's the exact same internals as the DSi but with bigger screens (no resolution change) and that's it. It's not that big a deal.

Opty on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    commathe wrote: »
    who cares if it costs more than a wii? It's only relevant if you are trying to decide between the two.

I'll probably buy the wine red one, it's so pretty.

It should also be noted that I am a panting slut for Nintendo products.

It is very classy. Just like you.

I'd probably get the Red Wine one too... but I don't want to lose the GBA functionality of my current DS... though I never use it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Opty wrote: »

It's not a hardware upgrade like how the DSi was an actual hardware upgrade to the DS/DSLite, it's the exact same internals as the DSi but with bigger screens (no resolution change) and that's it. It's not that big a deal.

The hardware changed, and is better. Upgrade works on these terms. Thats what I meant. If you put the new DS LL next to a DSi, and asked people which was the upgrade, they would be able to point it out because they know what you mean and its colloquialism is in standard use here. Its a hardware upgrade.

The point is there not really delivering on content for the device in cart form, but are releasing an update already. I find that dumb. I know better now not to early adopt anymore from nintendo.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

The hardware changed, and is better. Upgrade works on these terms. Thats what I meant. If you put the new DS LL next to a DSi, and asked people which was the upgrade, they would be able to point it out because they know what you mean and its colloquialism is in standard use here. Its a hardware upgrade.

The point is there not really delivering on content for the device in cart form, but are releasing an update already. I find that dumb. I know better now not to early adopt anymore from nintendo.

You're complaining that Nintendo fixed shit after their product hit the market?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The DSi and DSi XL are clearly designed to satisfy two different types of people. Neither is better than the other. If I were to get one and they were both on the market I would certainly get a DSi, even if they were the same price.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    edited October 2009

the screens are bigger but the resolution is exactly the same. "Better" is relative. I think the screen on the GB Micro is better than the SP because it's sharper as a result of its smaller size.

And really, you're upset that Nintendo is updating its handheld lineup? It's not like his runs any different software than the DSi. If anything, it'll increase penetration of the DSi install base, providing more incentive for DSi-enhanced and -exclusive content.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only reason I have for not liking it is how much it smacks of built-in obsolescence.

They can't even wait a full year before releasing a new version of their hardware with only marginal improvements.

Fubear on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Better is indeed relative. Some people are going to prefer the DSi regular simply because it's going to be more portable. 4.25" screens are going to make the DSi XL, well, X-tra L-arge. :P

I'm ready to upgrade from my Lite, but I still haven't decided which I'd prefer. The more portable one or the one with bigger screens. Everything else is exactly the same. It's not like the jump from DS to DSi, really. It's more like offering two laptops with the same specs, except one is a 15" screen and the other is a 19" screen. Or something. Same stuff, but the choice is between portability and screensize.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I think if I replaced my Lite with a DSi I probably would be just as likely to pick the regular one as the XL. On one hand I don't go out often with my DS in tow... but on the other hand, when I did being able to have it easily portable would be nice...

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fubear wrote: »
    The only reason I have for not liking it is how much it smacks of built-in obsolescence.

They can't even wait a full year before releasing a new version of their hardware with only marginal improvements.

A slightly larger screen is making the DSi obsolete? I'd hate to hear how you feel about televisions!

It's like you said: marginal improvements.

Lunker on