As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3s on Ebay: The Aftermath

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    So this is the new Ps3 megathread? Alrighty then...

Depends on who you believe, VGcharts.org says 1.21 million, Nexgenwars.com says 853,000 (of course they also say 54% of the people think the Wii.... will win this generation.. :lol: ) but they also say their numbers are sell-thru. Still, that would mean over 400,000 of them are sitting on shelves somewhere and that seems extremely unlikely.

I like mine. Resistance is fun anyway, and I just loaded up my Netflix queue with Bluray movies...

The Wii probably will win this generation in worldwide sales.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:
    Just out of curiousity, why does everyone here keep talking about the PS3 being $600? It's $500 unless you have a need for a hard-drive three-times the size of the 360's.

When you talk about the 360, its presumed to be the premium system. Same thing with the PS3.

yea, but the 360 Core is retarded while the $500 PS3 isn't. The only difference between the two PS3s is the harddrive? Nothing else?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:
    Just out of curiousity, why does everyone here keep talking about the PS3 being $600? It's $500 unless you have a need for a hard-drive three-times the size of the 360's.

When you talk about the 360, its presumed to be the premium system. Same thing with the PS3.

yea, but the 360 Core is retarded while the $500 PS3 isn't. The only difference between the two PS3s is the harddrive? Nothing else?

The lower end PS3 doesn't have built in wireless networking or flash card readers.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:

It also has built in wifi and some digital media card readers. Nothing I'd consider essential. At the same time, though, PS3 games install part of their information onto the HDD so a bigger HDD is more important for a PS3 than a 360. Not to mention who doesn't want a bigger HDD on their 360? I sure as shit would love a larger one with the way I buy Arcade titles.

Accualt on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    (of course they also say 54% of the people think the Wii.... will win this generation.. :lol: )

This is getting dangerously off-topic, but why is it so laughable that the Wii could win this generation? It's flying off the shelves right now, while PS3s are just sitting there. Even chrpnk said they aren't selling at his Best Buy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

It also has built in wifi and some digital media card readers. Nothing I'd consider essential. At the same time, though, PS3 games install part of their information onto the HDD so a bigger HDD is more important for a PS3 than a 360. Not to mention who doesn't want a bigger HDD on their 360? I sure as shit would love a larger one with the way I buy Arcade titles.

aren't Arcade titles like 50 megs big?

I want a bigger one because I wanna download them HD movies. They cost like $2.50 to download.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    jwalk wrote:
    (of course they also say 54% of the people think the Wii.... will win this generation.. :lol: )

This is getting dangerously off-topic, but why is it so laughable that the Wii could win this generation? It's flying off the shelves right now, while PS3s are just sitting there. Even chrpnk said they aren't selling at his Best Buy.

Because it seems as though the Wii isn't a "hardcore" machine, it's like a side console to the big two. Everyone seems to be thinking that the 360 is going for the win at the moment but it's impossible to say. I'm British so i'm going to wait for at least 2 months after the PS3 comes out over here to buy any of the consoles. I don't dislike the Wii, it's just that i bought a DS and it seems to have all the bases covered for now.

Johannen on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I got the 20GB. I've "installed" Resistance (only 120 megs I think), I've downloaded just about everything you can off the PS store except a couple of the movie trailers and I still have 10 gigs (of 18) free. I don't have Ridge Racer which I hear uses about 5 gigs. Still, even if I did it would be no problem.

I don't know who is going to "win" I just think it's amusing how optimistic some of the Nintendo fans are given their performance in the home console market historically. Whatever happens, I doubt any of these companies is going to fold up any time soon. Nintendo still has the DS and a couple very popular IPs, Sony is a mega huge electronics giant and movie studio, and Microsoft is... well... "Micro$oft"... they haven't made dime one on the whole Xbox project yet (actually lost like 5 billion) and it doesn't seem to bother them...

jwalk on
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Unless the Wii suddenly gets Pro-Evo and GTA, it won't win in the UK at least by a long, long way.

As for the model comparison; I see the 360 as indeed Core vs. Premium, whereas the PS3 isn't such a dichotomy at all. It's not a case of no hard-drive vs. hard-drive, plus headset, wireless etc. In fact, what are the two PS3 models actually named?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    RaggieRaggie Schattenjäger Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Raggie wrote:
    I still don´t think Sony is out of the race, though. Wii is an untraditional console and the Japanese don´t buy the XBox, so the Japanese developers might see PS3 the only viable platform for many or most of their projects.

Or they might put em on the more popular but less powerful machine anyway. DQ8, ps2. DQ9, DS. Power difference? Lightyears.

That´s possible too. Or maybe they will decide that with the low development costs and a high userbase, they´ll get more profit by making more simple Wii partygames, and we´ll see a lot less games targeted at the hardcore audience for a while.

It´s interesting how the blue-ray might affect the future of PS3. If lots of people buy it just as a cheap player and not as a game console, Sony will only lose money on those machines. If blue-ray ends up losing the format war, the expenses of making the discs and the consoles will not go down for a long while.

If you look at the profits alone, methinks Sony has already lost. I don´t know how they could possibly make money with PS3, considering the high costs of the manufacturing and RnD of the console.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The wii will not have a large enough library to win this generation, but I think it will do a lot stronger than the gamecube did.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jwalk wrote:
    I don't know who is going to "win" I just think it's amusing how optimistic some of the Nintendo fans are given their performance in the home console market historically. Whatever happens, I doubt any of these companies is going to fold up any time soon. Nintendo still has the DS and a couple very popular IPs, Sony is a mega huge electronics giant and movie studio, and Microsoft is... well... "Micro$oft"... they haven't made dime one on the whole Xbox project yet (actually lost like 5 billion) and it doesn't seem to bother them...

If you want to look at history than Nintendo or MS are best posed to win this generation. Nintendo DOMINATED the market for multiple generations, they got too big for their britches and did a good number of things that ticked off developers and let down customers (Project Dolphin). Sony has pissed off a lot of their hardcore customers, priced themselves outside of the market like Nintendo did, and is losing some 3rd party support due to the development costs of programming for the PS3 compared to the 360. The PS3 is in a simular situation to the N64.
    As for MS and the Xbox they said from day one they weren't going to make money off of the first Xbox, it was an investment to establish their name. It worked. With the 360 they are expected to make money, which is part of why the HDD wasn't standard.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Raggie wrote:
    It´s interesting how the blue-ray might affect the future of PS3. If lots of people buy it just as a cheap player and not as a game console, Sony will only lose money on those machines. If blue-ray ends up losing the format war, the expenses of making the discs and the consoles will not go down for a long while.

If you look at the profits alone, methinks Sony has already lost. I don´t know how they could possibly make money with PS3, considering the high costs of the manufacturing and RnD of the console.

The plan (at least in Sony's mind) is to make a modest profit off the PS3 and games themselves and a monster profit from everybody buying Blu-ray movies. The fly in the ointment is that not enough people care about next-gen DVDs at this point, and the price may be discouraging folks from buying a PS3.

It's really not laughable for any of the three consoles to "win" the war at this point... hell, the Wii's doing vastly better than I guessed. Still, Sony needs to do something to recover from its disappointing launch before the casual gamers' negative thoughts toward it crystalize.

Edit: I was debating about mentioning the N64, but Accault beat me to it. Nintendo had won two generations in a row, everyone was excited for the new machine... yet it deflated and quick due to griping about the media format, the price (the games, not the system in this case), the arrogance.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    The wii will not have a large enough library to win this generation, but I think it will do a lot stronger than the gamecube did.

Why do you say that? Wii has been out just for a couple of months!

It is rather pointless to talk about "winning" or "losing" the "war", when the market is already big enough for three consoles. GC had the least consoles sold last generation, but it had plenty of great games until the next gen. I played as many games on it as on PS2 and I was perfectly happy with it. I can´t see it as a failure of any sort.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    edit, 1 sec

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    2x post, my bad.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:

It doesn't need a large library to win in number of consoles sold. Nintendo is actively courting families and more casual gamers, the kind of people who don't buy a game every month. The die-hard gamers will end up picking up a Wii because it has some classic franchises, unique game play, and is cheap, so why not get it?
    It isn't like the GameCube where just about the only games worth salt that were exclusive to the system were Nintendo. Any third party game on the Wii is going to play different than it would on any other system. I can easily see it selling more units than the other two. It doesn't even have to capture 50% of the market to "win." Hell it could be a three way tie and Nintendo would pull in more profit than the other two companies.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    The plan (at least in Sony's mind) is to make a modest profit off the PS3 and games themselves and a monster profit from everybody buying Blu-ray movies.

I wonder how much Sony plans to make profit from Blu-ray? The discs will be cheaper than games, and Sony isn´t the only one taking a piece of that cake.

Raggie on
    ypvha57nnenm.jpg
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:

I agree. I see most people looking elsewhere for their multi-platform games as well as major franchises like GTA that won't appear on the Wii.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

It doesn't need a large library to win in number of consoles sold. Nintendo is actively courting families and more casual gamers, the kind of people who don't buy a game every month. The die-hard gamers will end up picking up a Wii because it has some classic franchises, unique game play, and is cheap, so why not get it?
    It isn't like the GameCube where just about the only games worth salt that were exclusive to the system were Nintendo. Any third party game on the Wii is going to play different than it would on any other system. I can easily see it selling more units than the other two. It doesn't even have to capture 50% of the market to "win." Hell it could be a three way tie and Nintendo would pull in more profit than the other two companies.

But it does. A large library means choice. More choice means greater variation and thus more of a chance that the game you want will be out for said system, whether you be a casual gamer or a leet gamer.

I'm just saying - based on trends, nintendo hasn't won the last two generations and I don't see it coming out on top this next generation. In all honesty, the x360 is looking out to be the ps2 of this console generation.

While the wii controls differently, it really doesn't warrant a separate purchase because more often than not the controls feel tacked on and in some cases, inhibits game play. So I can perform an actual kamehameha, or swing my arm in the same way I might if I actually had a sword, but in the end this will not win anything for nintendo, because it's always been software that sells consoles and whether you be casual or hardcore, halo 3, GTA, and those titles have always held mainstream appeal in america more than mario has in recent years.

Another keen difference is while one friend can own a wii and up to four can play a game like smash (multiplayer/party genre), which appeals to both hardcore and casual gamers alike; one needs their own console to play any single player game. People will pick up x360's and ps3's for that purpose.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Estimates place the percentage of $500 units manufactured somewhere around 20 percent of all PS3's on the market. So, unless you're damn lucky, $600 it is. I believe the $600 version also has built-in wifi.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

I'm just saying - based on trends, nintendo hasn't won the last two generations and I don't see it coming out on top this next generation. In all honesty, the x360 is looking out to be the ps2 of this console generation.

Well, according to trends the PS3 has already won. Right?

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Yeah, for the same reason the PSP won the handheld war. It's all brand recognition. Any news on how Sony's takeover bid for Nintendo is going?

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

aren't Arcade titles like 50 megs big?

I want a bigger one because I wanna download them HD movies. They cost like $2.50 to download.

Demos range anywhere from 500 megs to a gig and a half. That's what's eating up the most of my HDD.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Thank you for putting words in my mouth. No, according to trends they haven't won because they didn't follow the trend. They took a major risk this generation by implementing blue ray. Please avoid lame quips like that, as the only thing it manages to accomplish is lame bandwagoning and empty statements.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mattie wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

I agree. I see most people looking elsewhere for their multi-platform games as well as major franchises like GTA that won't appear on the Wii.

Who says they won't? The big money franchises will go wherever the big money is, which is usually the console with the largest installed base. At this rate it looks like the PS3 will be the minority console by this time next year, with the race for first being a toss-up between 360 and Wii.

japan on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Johannen wrote:
    Because it seems as though the Wii isn't a "hardcore" machine, it's like a side console to the big two.

I think the machine has plenty of appeal to hardcore gamers, like myself. I like the change in the way we play games. It keeps things fresh and interesting. And I love the Virtual Console.

As for being a 'side console'? If you consider how many extra sales that Nintendo could possibly get from being a lot of 360 or PS3 owners' "2nd console" in addition to all of the people that only plan on getting Wii's, then Nintendo could quite feasibly be right near the top of the hardware sales this generation.

Personally, I can see Nintendo being a solid 2nd place this generation. The PS3 has a long way to go to prove that it's worth $200 more than a 360, and Resistance: Fall of Man and a BluRay player isn't going to cut it for the vast majority of people that buy gaming consoles. The technophile audience is an incredibly small niche right now, and without a price drop, they're not going to get the PS3 to carry the BluRay format into the mainstream.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Thank you for putting words in my mouth. No, according to trends they haven't won because they didn't follow the trend. They took a major risk this generation. Please avoid lame quips like that. It's just an empty point.

They didn't take a major risk with the first-gen Playstation? They went into a market that was dominated by Nintendo and Sega. That in itself was a major risk.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

But it does. A large library means choice. More choice means greater variation and thus more of a chance that the game you want will be out for said system, whether you be a casual gamer or a leet gamer.

While the wii controls differently, it really doesn't warrant a separate purchase because more often than not the controls feel tacked on and in some cases, inhibits game play. So I can perform an actual kamehameha, or swing my arm in the same way I might if I actually had a sword, but in the end this will not win anything for nintendo, because it's always been software that sells consoles and whether you be casual or hardcore, halo 3, GTA, and those titles have always held mainstream appeal in america more than mario has in recent years.
    What's funny is Mario consistently sells better than Halo or GTA. They just have larger spurts when they launch.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Boilerbird wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Thank you for putting words in my mouth. No, according to trends they haven't won because they didn't follow the trend. They took a major risk this generation. Please avoid lame quips like that. It's just an empty point.

They didn't take a major risk with the first-gen Playstation? They went into a market that was dominated by Nintendo and Sega. That in itself was a major risk.

That was sony's first real console selling experience in the market. Of course breaking into the market is a risk, but they didn't do anything exceptionally revolutionary or as risky as implementing something like blue ray.

I consider implementing blue ray, something that may not even be necessary, riskier than jumping into a business sony had already become familiar with. Sony had a lot of things going for it - including nintendo's burning of third party developers, its decision to go cartridge and segas shitty business plan. That's partly why sony was so successful, not because it took any particular risks.

TLDR: yeah, its a risk, but isn't really comparable to sony's current investments.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Boilerbird wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    Accualt wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

With hardware that people thought wouldn't succeed no less.

Honestly, I think Microsoft is in Sony's PS-X position right now where they're gaining powerful momentum where people thought they would fail. Only difference being they've had a generation to learn.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    I'm just saying - based on trends, nintendo hasn't won the last two generations and I don't see it coming out on top this next generation.

Well, by that logic the PS3 will win this generation, because it won the last two.

Just curious, have you played the Wii yet? There are games that use the control horribly, but some are just perfect. I never expected to enjoy Wii Sports as much as I have.

But the next Smash Bros. won't have motion controls, the developers have said so. Your dick is safe.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    I'm just saying - based on trends, nintendo hasn't won the last two generations and I don't see it coming out on top this next generation.

Well, by that logic the PS3 will win this generation, because it won the last two.

I did this and he called me a lame-o. Now you're a lame-o.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Aw, man! Now I'm uncool.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Just curious, have you played the Wii yet? There are games that use the control horribly, but some are just perfect. I never expected to enjoy Wii Sports as much as I have.

But the next Smash Bros. won't have motion controls, the developers have said so. Your dick is safe.

I have Zelda, raving rabbids, monkey ball, wii sports, 4 controllers, the classic controller, several vc games, have played red steel, trauma center, and well, yes, i've played the console.

And god, i'm going to be hearing that "by that logic the ps3 will win this generation," which, might I add, is pretty narrow-sighted since it fails to take in a lot of factors and I have more or less already addressed it.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    cloudeagle wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Looks to me like someone's a little sore.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Supply and demand...there are more Wiis available than Ps3s yet Wiis are going for $150 over market price on Ebay while Ps3s are going for $45 over price. This is based off of just looking at the few auctions that are about to end right now. This doesn't confirm shit, of course, but it does point towards the Wii being more popular than the PS3 is as of right now.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PS3 and Wii are out for only two months now, the X-Box 360 for just about a year. I don't see how we can claim the "winner" of this gen yet. After all, it's the software, not the hardware, that will sell the consoles in the end. Just think of the PSP and the Nintendo DS.

Yeah, just like the Nintendo DS second screen and touch screen is worthless piece of shit. Innovative controlls means nothing. Now go and try playing Elite Beat Agents on your PSP.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

I have Zelda, raving rabbids, monkey ball, wii sports, 4 controllers, the classic controller, several vc games, have played red steel, trauma center, and well, yes, i've played the console.

And god, i'm going to be hearing that "by that logic the ps3 will win this generation," which, might I add, is pretty narrow-sighted since it fails to take in a lot of factors and I have more or less already addressed it.

Well, in the future, you can't go by industry trends.

People going by trends is where we got memes like "Microsoft to buy Nintendo in 5 years"

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    SkyGheNe wrote:

Well, in the future, you can't go by industry trends.

People going by trends is where we got memes like "Microsoft to buy Nintendo in 5 years"

I think you can make educated guesses using trends as a factor.

When I say "according to trends..." I'm really taking into account what the companies have done in the past and what they are doing now. This generation, the x360 is very successful, perhaps not in japan, but in other locations. It's getting a lot of support and has an incredible library of great games. I'm not particularly fond of microsoft or the xbox, even though I own one. I've played my brothers x360 and his 20+ games and have to say the console is impressive and while my personal tastes lie with the wii, I cannot sit and deny the appeal the x360 has to the average gamer.

I can see nintendo being a strong second...but I don't see any possible way it can come out on top, unless you include DS sales or something like that.

SkyGheNe on