As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3s on Ebay: The Aftermath

• scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Dukhat wrote:
    I want to see how well Wii Sports sells the Wii system relative to DDR and Guitar Hero, the two biggest "gimmick" games on the PS2. So far, I don't think it will beat either one in terms of the additional sales they give to their respective consoles.
    People tend to forget the PS2 pretty much has the family-friendly accessory-loving set already in tow with the Eyetoy, Guitar Hero, Buzz! and the ever-present dance-mats; SCEE really have been very innovative.

I wouldn't credit any of that to SCEE.
    'cept maybe eyetoy.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    scootch wrote:
    Dukhat wrote:
    I want to see how well Wii Sports sells the Wii system relative to DDR and Guitar Hero, the two biggest "gimmick" games on the PS2. So far, I don't think it will beat either one in terms of the additional sales they give to their respective consoles.
    People tend to forget the PS2 pretty much has the family-friendly accessory-loving set already in tow with the Eyetoy, Guitar Hero, Buzz! and the ever-present dance-mats; SCEE really have been very innovative.

'cept maybe eyetoy.
    Yeah, I think Harmonix would like to say something about that.
    Especially since Guitar Hero 2 is also headed to 360, and Harmonix have expressed a LOT of interest in developing stuff for the Wii.
    I also wouldn't be surprised to see all systems have DDR games avaliable this generation.

TubularLuggage on
  • Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    scootch wrote:
    Dukhat wrote:

'cept maybe eyetoy.
    Especially since Guitar Hero 2 is also headed to 360, and Harmonix have expressed a LOT of interest in developing stuff for the Wii.
    I also wouldn't be surprised to see all systems have DDR games avaliable this generation.

DDR hit all three systems last gen. Eyetoy doesn't work all that well, you pretty much need to have studio lighting for it to work properly. The system with the most users this gen will recieve the majority of the party type games.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    scootch wrote:
    Dukhat wrote:

'cept maybe eyetoy.

Not to mention the fact that folks I know are all wanting to get their hands on the Wii specifically because of all the fun we had playing those games on the PS2!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2007
    scootch wrote:
    Dukhat wrote:

'cept maybe eyetoy.

yah.. DDR was on all system last generation. would be cool to have wireless floor pad so no more tripping while walking around the matts.. mmm.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    scootch wrote:
    scootch wrote:
    Dukhat wrote:

'cept maybe eyetoy.

yah.. DDR was on all system last generation. would be cool to have wireless floor pad so no more tripping while walking around the matts.. mmm.

That would be a piece of cake on the Wii. Just plug it into the Wiimote. Hell, can we get a NES to Wii-mote converter so we can use our old-school Power Pads as a dance mat? Please?

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not to mention, it would probably be a lot cheaper to make the guitar controller as an addon than a completely independant controller, AND it could take advantage of the Wiimote's functionality. Moving around could yield more points because of the added challenge.

TubularLuggage on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Arsenic7 wrote:
    ?

eh, check the employee lounge thread. long story short - i put ad for it outside the store after hours and it resulted in outright termination

Which is admittedly exactly what you deserved

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Conceeded on DDR and GH; although by sheer market force those are PS2 products. I forgot to mention Singstar also. SCEE have very much been down this route more than SCEA for some reason - I know people from the US tend to rubbish the Eyetoy and Singstar whenever they're brought up; as far as I understand they've been immensely popular in Europe.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
    edited January 2007
    Conceeded on DDR and GH; although by sheer market force those are PS2 products. I forgot to mention Singstar also. SCEE have very much been down this route more than SCEA for some reason - I know people from the US tend to rubbish the Eyetoy and Singstar whenever they're brought up; as far as I understand they've been immensely popular in Europe.

They have, and are, and the success of these games in no small part is making a lot of Euro folks very excited about the Wii. The fact that a brand new shiny Wii is only 1.8 times the price of the aging PS2 bodes well for the platform. The fact that the PS3 costs 5 times the current price of the still-successful PS2 will keep the mainstream away for a very long time to come, especially considering we still have no fixed release date / price point / confirmation of both 60 and 20Gig models shipping. And in that waiting space, the 360 and Wii will only sell to more people, with the snowballing of users and further lowering of already lower prices affecting game releases, encouraging more sales etc. etc.

The "cheap peripheral party games device" element of the PS2 which has proven so successful with the UK mainstream is still at least 3 years away on PS3, maybe more, unless Sony can somehow suck it up and drop the £425-£450 rumoured price point to the £180 mark before then.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    edited January 2007
    Edit: Dang internets.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Not to mention, it would probably be a lot cheaper to make the guitar controller as an addon than a completely independant controller, AND it could take advantage of the Wiimote's functionality. Moving around could yield more points because of the added challenge.

This would be great because it could have the in-game model reflect the exact positioning of the guitar like how Wii Sports Boxing can follow your "fist" positioning.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:

This would be great because it could have the in-game model reflect the exact positioning of the guitar like how Wii Sports Boxing can follow your "fist" positioning.

would be pretty intense to have a showmanship point modifier for scoring. :D

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    edited January 2007
    So instead of people transitioning from Wii to PS4, as Sony said, we might see people going from PS2 to Wii? That'd be interesting. :) What I'd posit as the other major likelihood is that this subset of the gaming audience we're talking about - call them casual or what you will - simply won't transition to a new console at all. Why would they? The PS2 is still getting new games and the particular type that we've been talking about look set to keep coming out. Who Wants to be a Millionaire using the Buzz buzzers is out this month.

Æthelred on
    edited January 2007
    So instead of people transitioning from Wii to PS4, as Sony said, we might see people going from PS2 to Wii? That'd be interesting. :) What I'd posit as the other major likelihood is that this subset of the gaming audience we're talking about - call them casual or what you will - simply won't transition to a new console at all. Why would they? The PS2 is still getting new games and the particular type that we've been talking about look set to keep coming out. Who Wants to be a Millionaire using the Buzz buzzers is out this month.

Oh man, I need that WWtbaM game for my family holiday. Buzz is awesome.

Also, I guess people want a "new" console because of the "shiny" factor, but that desire will only go so far... probably not $599 far either. And of course, people pick up a platform when that killer app arrives that everyone has to play. GTA last gen, this gen ?

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    If the PS3 was priced at 400 bucks, as one standard model, or had manufactured enough to satisfy the 2MIL US number I heard awhile ago - we wouldnt be having these sarguments. Neither than WII nor the PS3 have game libraries to justify me getting one or the other to play one or two "killer" games - in 6 months to a year. . .we will be singing a different story - and these major game developers know that. When GTA comes out in Fall, there will be more than enough PS3 users out there for them to make their money.

Ill have one by then, whether I have to pay 500 or 600 bucks.
    I don't know about the ps3...depends on how shit rolls but right now things look pretty bleak for sony...

Didnt they say the same thing about the PSP - "Too expensive" "Propietary format" "DS is killing it". . .

We know how thiis has turned out.
    I suspect the same is becoming true in Japan as well (maybe one of our Japanese poasters can describe the situation?)

Im here now. The WII is of course sold out, but I havent seen the PS3 side. And Ive only seen the 49K Yen version. I dont know about unit sold, as they dont put those suckers out on the floor. But I went to a Yodabashi Camera - and the demo unit playing DMC4 had a line for it - so take that for what you will. DMC4 looked incredible by the way.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    ED! wrote:
    When GTA comes out in Fall, there will be more than enough PS3 users out there for them to make their money.
    Well, people buying new consoles might want to buy the (then probably) 299.99-349.99 priced 360 premium and GTA4 then the 500-600 dollar PS3, especially if both versions are exactly the same (which by all accounts they will be, save for DLC)
    ED! wrote:
    I don't know about the ps3...depends on how shit rolls but right now things look pretty bleak for sony...

Didnt they say the same thing about the PSP - "Too expensive" "Propietary format" "DS is killing it". . .

Yeah. The Proprietary format failed as a movie format, the PSP is multiple millions behind the DS in every region, and the pricetag still scares most people away.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ED! wrote:

Are you saying the PSP is doing well? Because while it is selling, it's not even in the same league as the DS anymore. Successful products don't need crappy marketing techniques of losers rapping to sell their products.

The vast majority of people put their money on Sony when they launched the PSP. Near PS2 graphics, multimedia on the go, etc. compared to two screens and 64 bit graphics. Just look at some of the posts by Tycho when the systems first came out; that's how a lot of people felt. Then it slowly started being more and more awesom-o.

Nintendo had to fight pretty damn hard for everyone to just take a few minutes to try the DS. Hell, one reason people believe in the Wii is because Nintendo proved that they can be innovative.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    Yeah. The Proprietary format failed as a movie format, the PSP is multiple millions behind the DS in every region-
    Not the UK, because need for speed rox!! ..Europe as a whole I think the DS is ahead, since the Germans love them some Nintendo. Losing GTA is huge for Sony though; I'm amazed they shrugged that off so blasély.

edit: DS is the gateway drug to Wii, you could say.

Æthelred on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    Yeah. The Proprietary format failed as a movie format, the PSP is multiple millions behind the DS in every region-
    Not the UK, because need for speed rox!! ..Europe as a whole I think the DS is ahead, since the Germans love them some Nintendo. Losing GTA is huge for Sony though; I'm amazed they shrugged that off so blasély.

They lost two huge franchises. One to the 360, and the other to their competitor's handheld. That's nothing to shrug off, it's something to get worried about. And I'm sure they are, but they can't admit that since you can't really spin "Oh shit!"

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited January 2007
    Well, people buying new consoles might want to buy the (then probably) 299.99-349.99 priced 360 premium and GTA4 then the 500-600 dollar PS3, especially if both versions are exactly the same (which by all accounts they will be, save for DLC)

I used GTA as an example. Many folks are just waiting for a reason to purchase a PS3 - and even if a game is multiplatform, theyll see themselves to supporting a system they have before. There will also be enough exclusives to justify the purchase for many people - myself included.

Id like to actually see the total worldwide sales numbers for the PSP and the DS. In no way is the PSP getting murdered (as folks were claiming a year or so ago); here I see just as many people with PSP's as with DS's.

The DS though is going to continue to sell better than the PSP (for the time being), if for no other reason than because it is explicitly focused on games and already has a low price point. But the moans of failure for the PSP are sounding the same as the ones for the PS3.

To call the PSP anything other than a success after a semi-shakey start is being dishonest. Id imagine well see the PS3 follow the same route.

I am saying 100% the PSP is a success. UMD may have gone the way of the Do-Do unfortunately (or maybe fortunately as the price didnt justify the lack of features/extras a person got), but you cant compare the DS to the PSP in terms of sales. . .its just not a fair comparison. People will ALWAYS buy a nintendo handheld. Period. Its like upgrading your cell phone. Especially here. Nintendo could release DS LiteR - and it would sell gangbusters. But the PSP is hardly suffering because of it, and I cant imagine Sony wringing their hands about its success.

As for Nintendo having to prove itself in the hand-held dept? Come on. Maybe in the US - but then the DS launch was hardly slow.
    Are you saying the PSP is doing well? Because while it is selling, it's not even in the same league as the DS anymore. Successful products don't need crappy marketing techniques of losers rapping to sell their products.

I am saying 100% the PSP is a success. UMD may have gone the way of the Do-Do unfortunately (or maybe fortunately as the price didnt justify the lack of features/extras a person got), but you cant compare the DS to the PSP in terms of sales. . .its just not a fair comparison. People will ALWAYS buy a nintendo handheld. Period. Its like upgrading your cell phone. Especially here. Nintendo could release DS LiteR - and it would sell gangbusters. But the PSP is hardly suffering because of it, and I cant imagine Sony wringing their hands about its success.

As for Nintendo having to prove itself in the hand-held dept? Come on. Maybe in the US - but then the DS launch was hardly slow.

ED! on
    edited January 2007
    victor_c26 wrote:
    They lost two huge franchises. One to the 360, and the other to their competitor's handheld. That's nothing to shrug off, it's something to get worried about. And I'm sure they are, since you can't really spin "Oh shit!"

Sony spin machine:
    "Oh shit!" = "Oh this...PS3 rocks!"

TexiKen on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited January 2007
    So 20MIL units sold is a failure? Especially for a previously $250 dollar system? When you put that up against the 36 sold by the DS - sure you get sales envy. But 20MIL for Sony's first foray into the handheld business. . .only with a gun to my head can you say Sony lost here.

ED! on
    edited January 2007
    And I am not saying they "lost" anything... but the DS is killing it in sales for both hardware and software.

In fact, attach rates are even worse WRT the PSP versus the DS. The PSP will continue on, and has some great features. Some folks even prefer it, as is evidenced by the numbers shown. But it nowhere near the dominant handheld.

and nintendo DID have to prove themselves with the DS. The first year was rough.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ED! wrote:
    But the PSP is hardly suffering because of it, and I cant imagine Sony wringing their hands about its success.
    I have talked to Sony execs about it. And they are wringing their hands about its success.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2007
    ED! wrote:

Why can't the DS and PSP be compared by sales? What else should it be compared by? The PSP does a little bit of everything; therefore, it should appeal to a wider base, making it have numbers greater than the DS.

Sony came into the console market acting like they were the shit and nothing can harm them (they still have this mentality) and got a good "welcome to the portable world" punch in the mouth by Nintendo.

And Nintendo did have to prove itself in the beginning. It had decent first party DS launch games and shitty EA ports that made the features of the DS look retarded. Then games like Kirby and Nintendogs and Trauma Center came around and showed how awesome the system can be.

TexiKen on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtuK4CU3ko

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ED! wrote:
    So 20MIL units sold is a failure? Especially for a previously $250 dollar system? When you put that up against the 36 sold by the DS - sure you get sales envy. But 20MIL for Sony's first foray into the handheld business. . .only with a gun to my head can you say Sony lost here.

Considering what they were trying to accomplish, it was a failure. The saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind. Had plenty of features but used very few of them efficiently enough to be worth the $250 price tag that scared off it's target audience. Combined with the early price of UMD movies costing nearly twice as much as Dvds with half the features, the trickling and slowly decreasing support of developers and an Advertising department run by a pack of retarded donkey show workers, it becomes hard to call this a success by any means of the word.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:

it...it was a poem. Yeah, that's the ticket ;) ( it's so bad)

TexiKen on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:

I'd hoped you were linking the Japanese zelda commercial, with the female link. Damn you to hell

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    TexiKen wrote:

I'd hoped you were linking the Japanese zelda commercial, with the female link. Damn you to hell

Fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mewchVnrBUE

Six on
  • chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:

Ah, the good ol' 80s...The shame of an entire generation..

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:

Ah, the good ol' 80s...The shame of an entire generation..

I still have the Nintendo Fun Club newsletter from that commercial somewhere around here, which makes me one of those guys.

Six on
    edited January 2007
    Houk wrote:
    ED! wrote:
    But the PSP is hardly suffering because of it, and I cant imagine Sony wringing their hands about its success.
    I have talked to Sony execs about it. And they are wringing their hands about its success.

To that then I would say "who" and "why". Im sure you cant answer who - but I would love to know why. Of course Im not naive to think that 20MIL sold is just money in the bank considering manufacturing costs and what not, but a 20MIL installed user base is nothing to sneeze at.
    And I am not saying they "lost" anything... but the DS is killing it in sales for both hardware and software.

The PSP is really only being "killed" in the Japanese market. Everywhere else its doing about as well as you would expect a higher priced device to do. But even saying the PSP is being "killed" is a bit of a semantics game - if I made 50million bucks off my idea, and you made 100 million - sure Im going to be jealous of your 100million. . .but I still have 50million bucks in my pocket. A simple comparison, but one that I think is apt. If the PSP had said 5 million worldwide - Id say it was an utter failure.
    Why can't the DS and PSP be compared by sales? What else should it be compared by? The PSP does a little bit of everything; therefore, it should appeal to a wider base, making it have numbers greater than the DS.

For me its almost like comparing a PC to a Console - they both can play games, but they really do it fundementally differently - plus being priced nowhere in the same ballpark; also, take a look at where the real sales numbers are coming from. Japan is fueling DS sales (as it should be). If they were taken out of the equation, the DS would still (maybe) be the winner in total sales, but dollar wise the numbers would be much more comparable.

Personally, I cant explain the appeal of the DS. I wanted to get one, but shied away because there really werent a ton of games on it that Id be interested in. Im sure if I got a chance to play a few I'd find something, but really lawyer games and Trauma Center type exercises dont do it for me. Appearantly though that niche is working for the Japanese market, which isnt suprising since it seems like these are games one can play on the fly, save, and pick right back up after 20 minutes on the subway.

Most PSP games arent marketed that way (well MGS was - for me at least).

Not to further derail this thread, but thats the only point I was trying to make: That this is a marathon, not a short sprint. the WII selling 3MIL is great, and Im tempted to buy one to play ZELDA and this ELEBITS that people go on and on about. The PS3 isnt priced where I can justify picking it up and not get a RPG (which has been the only time Ive picked up any console, when an RPG has dropped for it), but other people have made the lead and will continue to do so when those titles start rolling out.
    Had plenty of features but used very few of them efficiently enough to be worth the $250 price tag that scared off it's target audience.

You say this, but then I look back to the numbers and Im still trying to reconcile the two. What was it supposed to have sold by now? 50MIL?

ED! on
    edited January 2007
    ED! wrote:
    You say this, but then I look back to the numbers and Im still trying to reconcile the two. What was it supposed to have sold by now? 50MIL?

A PSP in every pot and a PSP in every garage. At least by Kutaragi standards.

TexiKen on
    edited January 2007
    I'm not sure if anyone has been here, but people should be wary of falling into the trap of calling the PSP a failure for not selling as much as the DS, and then crying foul when the same is said of the Gamecube versus the PS2. It's a silly term to apply to a product in most cases anyway.

Æthelred on
    edited January 2007
    TexiKen wrote:
    ED! wrote:

A PSP in every pot and a PSP in every garage. At least by Kutaragi standards.

Then hes a silly man for promising such an impossible feat. Even in Japan the DS isn't as widespread as that.
    It's a silly term to apply to a product in most cases anyway.

I thought first party, exclusive consoles hurt the GC. But I dont think it failed. . .but then what the heck do I know.

ED! on
    edited January 2007
    The "why" is because despite what you want to think, and despite what Sony would like you to think, the DS is their direct competitor. And they haven't had nearly as much penetration as they'd hoped. Because their real money, just like on console, comes from the software, not the hardware. But the software's not there, which means no short-term income and no hardware sales, which in turn means no long-term income. Just look at what happened for xmas - the DS flew off the shelves, while the PSP sat idly by.

To further my point, let's take a look at some recent software sales (courtesy of vgcharts.org):

In November 2006, the DS has 2 games in the top 10, 5 games in the top 25, and 12 games in the top 50. The PSP has 0 games in the top 10, 1 game in the top 25, and *ahem* 1 game in the top 50. The next highest game is Madden, at 53. If you understand that software sales are the lifeblood of the hardware, it should be obvious why Sony execs are (and should be) wringing their hands.

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited January 2007
    Before every generation starts, all the major console manufacturers should lay out their criteria for victory. Then we can cleanly say who succeeded or not. :wink:

Seeing as all three's goal is to sell a console to everyone in the world, then they all failed. Like the last General Election, it's possible for every console to 'fail' this time around - the PS3 may very well sell markedly less than the PS2, the XBox360 could fail to take the PS3's crown and the Wii could fail to make the breakthrough Nintendo hope for - all at once.

Æthelred on