As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gay Marriage]: It Hurts Jesus Real Bad

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ok, I am literally crying with laughter right now. I copied and pasted my favorite highlights to a friend over AIM, if you can't be bothered to read the whole transcript, don't miss these:
    T: Homosexuals are not minority.

B: How many are there?

T: I am a minority. Minority is based on skin color.
    T: I believe if marriage is beyond a man and a woman that any person can come to ask for marriage for incest and polygamy. If this is a civil right what would stop anyone from using marriage.

B: Can two siblings become DPs? Can man and girl of young age become DP?

T: No.

B: DPs exclude people of certain age and relationship.

T: Right.

B: You know that?

T: Yes.

B: So you see that DP does not lead to incest.

T: Yes. Oh I see your logic.
    B: You agreed that multiple campaign committees and independent messaging and independent strategies and fundraising and membership building are counterproductive?

T: Yes. But later on I forgot about this document and made some statements that were independent of PM.com.

B: Do you consider yourself an honest man?

T: yes.

B: You would not sign something in which you did not agree?

T: No.

B: It says here under message discipline that all messaging/public statement s must be approved by campaign manager.

T: I agreed to that but later on I did some things on my own.

B: You did not start violating this agreement the next day did you?

T: No, but I did later.

B: When?

T: I don’t remember.

B: What did you say?

T: I think I said to SJ Mercury News that same sex marriage can lead to all kinds of diseases.

B: Did anyone from ProtectMarriage.com contact you to say anything about this?

T: Mr. White called me and said I should not have said that.
    [Miss Moss of Prop. 8 is now trying to prove that Mr. Tam is a rogue.]
    B: Whom did you talk to during the break?

T: My lawyer.

B: What did you say to your lawyer?

T: That I felt like a naughty boy being put in front of the classroom being mocked.

B: What did he say?

T: He laughed.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I get the feeling that the defense counsel just doesn't give a shit. Like, it's a foregone conclusion that they'll be heading to the 9th circuit, and the only thing they care about is being prepared for the actual battle there or in SCOTUS.

IANAL, or terribly educated on this for that matter. But 99.9999% of my brain cells are in my gut so you should totally listen to my opinions

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    B: Whom did you talk to during the break?

T: My lawyer.

B: What did you say to your lawyer?

T: That I felt like a naughty boy being put in front of the classroom being mocked.

B: What did he say?

T: He laughed.

oh god. oh god. the laughter. it won't stop

nescientist on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Unfortunately, a law merely being a silly goose does not make it unconstitutional. The defense can make the weakest case possible and there is still a chance the plaintiff will not prevail.

Hachface on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It's going to get appealed either way. The defense would probably be best served by trying to create as many openings for dismissal on legal technicalities as possible.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really dislike when people argue that homosexuals are asking for more rights by wanting marriage.

That's practically denying homosexuality as an option period. "We already have equal rights, I can marry a woman, and so can the gay guy."

Are you an idiot?

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    I really dislike when people are bigots

They are denying homosexuality as an option period. "We already have equal rights, I can marry a woman, and so can the gay guy."

They are idiots

Did some quick edits for mechanical issues there; I think this really enhances the clarity of your post.

nescientist on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    I really dislike when people argue that homosexuals are asking for more rights by wanting marriage.

That's practically denying homosexuality as an option period. "We already have equal rights, I can marry a woman, and so can the gay guy."

Are you an idiot?

Yeah, I'd say you should just argue "But I can marry someone I love, gay people can't," but I doubt that would get anyone homophobic to agree.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really dislike when people are silly gooses

They are denying homosexuality as an option period. "We already have equal rights, I can marry a woman, and so can the gay guy."

They are silly gooses

Did some quick edits for mechanical issues there; I think this really enhances the clarity of your post.

Edited to comply with new forum rules.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shivahn wrote: »

Are you an idiot?

Yeah, I'd say you should just argue "But I can marry someone I love, gay people can't," but I doubt that would get anyone homophobic to agree.

I honestly am of the opinion that if someone can say "they already have the same right I do - to marry someone of the opposite sex" or an analogue with a straight face, then they are probably a lost cause. In most cases the only sane response is to wait patiently for the bigot to die of old age.

EDIT: wait I thought that was a joke, there's actually a rule about using the word "bigot" now? Not as strict as the only other restricted word on these forums, I hope? (if so oh god please do not castrate me mods)

nescientist on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Are you an idiot?
    To borrow from South Park:

THIS IS WHAT THESE PEOPLE REALLY BELIEVE

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If marriage is not limited to above age of 18 our children will fantasize about marrying either man or woman.
    Silly gooses.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2010

Are you an idiot?

I honestly am of the opinion that if someone can say "they already have the same right I do - to marry someone of the opposite sex" or an analogue with a straight face, then they are probably a lost cause. In most cases the only sane response is to wait patiently for the bigot to die of old age.

Yeah.

Incidentally, I don't know if SkyGheNe is gay or not. Sorry for making an assumption. The argument works better if it's abstracted anyway. Or if you use "You" instead of "I."

Shivahn on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Are you an idiot?
    To borrow from South Park:

THIS IS WHAT THESE PEOPLE REALLY BELIEVE
    I was listening to an interview with John Oliver today, and they were asking him about the segments where he goes out and effectively trolls crazy people in real life. His response was something along the lines of; "To us it's funny. It's a joke. When this person says something completely insane and stands there looking like I should be jumping to agree with him, it's funny. And it really is, it's hilarious. To US. To him, it's a deeply held belief. It's more than that, actually. To him this thought, this crazy thing that is making us laugh, is incontrovertible fact. It would be more funny if it weren't absolutely terrifying."

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You can also point out the equality-of-the-sexes argument. Women have a civil liberty I, a man, do not- they can marry men. I, a man, have a civil liberty women do not- I can marry women.

You can also point out that the argument could just as easily be, "What's the problem? We all have the ability to marry someone of the same race..." Then they have to answer why race is different from sexual orientation from a legal perspective and you've pretty much got them.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Good points.

Though, I think you've generally "got them" by the time the argument starts. You won't be able to convince them that that's the way things are, however.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good points.

Though, I think you've generally "got them" by the time the argument starts. You won't be able to convince them that that's the way things are, however.

That's what's so great about it being in trial form now. We don't have to care about convincing Tam; we just have to expose his idiocy in front of the judge, who's a much better... judge of what's logical and what's not.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That is very true.

It won't help me not want to choke people making stupid arguments through the internet though.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm very interested to see who the defense calls next week; it seems like all the potential for really funny shit is then.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "The Defense would now like to call our star witness: A gay dude who is totally gay."

"Hello"

"Gay Dude, is it true that you are 100% gay, and not at all a random guy from outside the courthouse we paid $100?"

"Totally."

"And what do you think of prop 8?"

"It's fine. I still have the right to marry a woman if I want to...... Which I don't. Because I'm gay. Of course."

"The defense rests, your honor."

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    phoenix-wright-objection.jpg

"Your honor, opposing council is clearly trying to defile Jesus and everything he stands for."

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Good points.

I find it very difficult to convince people who are set in their ways to change. Concessions and growth are interpreted as weakness in our culture: you see it with politicians and very public figures. They cannot and will not admit that they made a mistake, and if they do, "mistakes were made," as it was famously put.

Lately I've subscribed to simply asking questions as calmly as I can. Typically it eats away and to any person with a shred of empathy and humanity in them, the verbal filth coming from their mouth will be as clear to them as the necessity of food to a starving beggar.

I think that's why I'm enjoying these testimonials; to destroy their arguments requires simple questions, nothing more.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Good points.

I find it very difficult to convince people who are set in their ways to change. Concessions and growth are interpreted as weakness in our culture: you see it with politicians and very public figures. They cannot and will not admit that they made a mistake, and if they do, "mistakes were made," as it was famously put.

Lately I've subscribed to simply asking questions as calmly as I can. Typically it eats away and to any person with a shred of empathy and humanity in them, the verbal filth coming from their mouth will be as clear to them as the necessity of food to a starving beggar.

I think that's why I'm enjoying these testimonials; to destroy their arguments requires simple questions, nothing more.

sooooooo much lime. I would lime the entire quote, but then I'd have to go and make the part I did lime 36-point font in order to give it the proper gravitas.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah. That is very true and very sad.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why is the court language so... particular? someone said it sounds like a bunch of Rorschachs are arguing

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    why is the court language so... particular? someone said it sounds like a bunch of Rorschachs are arguing

It is shortened for the transcript, so some poor secretary doesn't write everything out verbatim, it is in shorthand.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Proper transcripts take a very long time to do.

Picture a bunch of people talking for eight hours. It's a lot of fucking text. And the reporter types in shorthand, which can only be transcribed by her. They're fast, but they're not that fast, and the thing does need to be entirely re-transcribed again. So, if there are eight hours of talking, if you can re-transcribe it in only five or six hours, that's hella fast. Realistically speaking, though, you just spent eight hours writing it all down while they were talking in shorthand; are you really going to immediately start transcribing? I seriously doubt it. So, proper transcriptions take a few days.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    One of my favorite bits. Especially since I was able to use it on a forum against someone today.

T: 2-4% of population.

B: So they are a minority?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

Picture a bunch of people talking for eight hours. It's a lot of fucking text. And the reporter types in shorthand, which can only be transcribed by her. They're fast, but they're not that fast, and the thing does need to be entirely re-transcribed again. So, if there are eight hours of talking, if you can re-transcribe it in only five or six hours, that's hella fast. Realistically speaking, though, you just spent eight hours writing it all down while they were talking in shorthand; are you really going to immediately start transcribing? I seriously doubt it. So, proper transcriptions take a few days.

Actual court reporters anymore are weird. Just record it all digitally then have someone transcribe it from the recording.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    One of my favorite bits. Especially since I was able to use it on a forum against someone today.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So It Goes wrote: »

Actual court reporters anymore are weird. Just record it all digitally then have someone transcribe it from the recording.

Isn't that the whole problem? Can't do any recording (technically you can but only the judge can view it now thanks to a stupid SCOTUS)

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Isn't that the whole problem? Can't do any recording (technically you can but only the judge can view it now thanks to a stupid SCOTUS)
    Yeah I guess it wouldn't be able to be publicized till after the whole thing was over.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

This reminds me of my college days. (not the cocaine thing, the minority thing)

We had a very diverse student body, so we had a great council-type group that organized events and such. Any time they used the word minority to describe an event, the GLBT club would get snubbed. We'd ask if there was anything we could do and they would just stare at us. It was a bit depressing.

Was still a great school though.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It's going to get appealed either way. The defense would probably be best served by trying to create as many openings for dismissal on legal technicalities as possible.

Not really, since that just means that the door remains open for future litigation. They've already telegraphed their gameplan - they don't care about the district or circuit level, as they're more or less convinced that they can't win there (especially with the 9th Circuit.) Their goal is to get this ruling to the Supreme Court, where they believe that they can win this case once and for all.

The sad part is that their belief in this isn't exactly irrational. Three of the justices there (Scalia, Alito, and Thomas) will rule for them, no matter what sort of twisted shape they have to torturously bend the law into to get there. The problem is that Kennedy and Roberts are on the fence, and they need both to win. So their strategy right now is to muddy the legal waters as much as possible, in order to provide Roberts and Kennedy the cover to rule in their favor.

It's a fucking twisted strategy, and the saddest part is that it's a rational and viable one.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MuddBudd wrote: »

This reminds me of my college days. (not the cocaine thing, the minority thing)

We had a very diverse student body, so we had a great council-type group that organized events and such. Any time they used the word minority to describe an event, the GLBT club would get snubbed. We'd ask if there was anything we could do and they would just stare at us. It was a bit depressing.

Was still a great school though.

Minorities only count if they make good photo-ops. Maybe if they're really flaming or have a dikey haircut or something, but too many gays these days look like normal people.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

What's the point of recording it and then having someone transcribe it, when you can just have someone transcribe it right there?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Saint MadnessSaint Madness Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Judging by the noises coming out of NOM they're getting desperate.

Saint Madness on
  • Options
    travathiantravathian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What's the point of recording it and then having someone transcribe it, when you can just have someone transcribe it right there?

Uh, a pause button? Verification that the court reported transcribed it correctly? History?

edit: And I don't just mean this case. There is no technological reason that all government proceedings can't be recorded and made available to the public. If the government has the money and the means to listen in on every call and data stream in the US it can damn sure provide us the ability to listen in on them.

travathian on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

Do explain. I rather enjoy NOM-flavored schadenfreude.

Though I have a feeling that it's probably around the fact that the plaintiffs are doing an excellent job of nailing down the legal issues - which fucks up their "muddy the waters and go to SCOTUS" strategy.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

NOM?

rational vash on
This discussion has been closed.