As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arrogant Rich People: Taxation, Income Disparity, and the Shrinking Middle Class

• Options
    FuturistFuturist Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Futurist wrote: »
    Why can't the guy spend $500K? Sure there is only so much a person can buy. I can show you a room of furniture that costs over $180K. Cars at $200K. People with that kind of money are not buying the same kinds of products you and I are. You are making assumptions based on one side of the argument. The person with $500K can EASILY spend all of it, just like the person with $50K
    We don't give a shit what the person theoretically could do. We only care about what the person typically does. And as I illustrated with my earlier link, and as you'd know if you even understood the most basic of economic theory, people with a lot of money spend way less as a percentage of their income than people with less money.

And still contribute a majority of sales tax.

Futurist on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Why can't the guy spend $500K? Sure there is only so much a person can buy. I can show you a room of furniture that costs over $180K. Cars at $200K. People with that kind of money are not buying the same kinds of products you and I are. You are making assumptions based on one side of the argument. The person with $500K can EASILY spend all of it, just like the person with $50K

They CAN.

They DON'T.

You are wrong. Sorry. Just are.
    Thanatos has already provided evidence that you are wrong.

Where is your evidence?

Bama on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

They don't have to spend $500K a year.

This isn't Brewster's Fucking Millions or some alternate universe where money is made out of cheese and must be used before it rots.

If you have someone making $50K a year, it's a pretty damn sure bet they'll spend a large percentage of their income on necessities.

It's why they call them necessities.

Someone who makes $500K a year has the luxury of choosing to spend anything beyond a small percentage of their income on necessities.

Edit: Or in other terms, tax rates should not be determined by assuming all rich people are either MC Hammer or addicted to Scarface-amounts of cocaine.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

He could. Historically speaking, he doesn't. Which is why we don't use that system.

Quid on
  • Options
    Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Marginal utility of a dollar?

Space Coyote on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually, I can't even buy the shit I have been typing here. Sorry to have derailed your thread. Phew! Can't type any more!

Futurist on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually, I can't even buy the shit I have been typing here. Sorry to have derailed your thread. Phew! Can't type any more!

Are you fucking serious?

Quid on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

They CAN.

They DON'T.

I'm convinced! I'm on your side now: Rich People For Irresponsible Capital Management! Could you send me one of your newsletters?

P.S.: He's not wrong, you're apparently uninformed and have no idea how the wealthy actually treat their wealth. You've made that abundantly clear.

[ed] And now you've run away? Bravo sir, bra-vo. You dun trolled me gud.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanatos wrote: »
    We don't give a shit what the person theoretically could do. We only care about what the person typically does. And as I illustrated with my earlier link, and as you'd know if you even understood the most basic of economic theory, people with a lot of money spend way less as a percentage of their income than people with less money.
    And still contribute a majority of sales tax.
    First off, I don't know that that's trues. Second off, even if it is true, it's only true because of the way our sales tax system currently works. What you're proposing is a universal consumption tax that would disproportionately target the poor.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    because if he doesn't have the fiscal sense of a paste eating kindergartner, he's going to save/invest a shitload of it.

Christ Almighty.

We're arguing with a guy who was incapable of understanding that you can have more than one bank account by banking with more than one bank.

wow. just. wow. I have a hard time believing this, but I am terrified of the stupid that lies in the earlier pages.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quid wrote: »

Are you fucking serious?

God only knows.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited November 2009

They CAN.

They DON'T.

I'm convinced! I'm on your side now: Rich People For Irresponsible Capital Management! Could you send me one of your newsletters?

P.S.: He's not wrong, you're apparently uninformed and have no idea how the wealthy actually treat their wealth. You've made that abundantly clear.

No, not run away, but...yeah...was fun! And, in all seriousness, some good points by many of you.

Futurist on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    Take the CEO of ups. I'm sure that he, as a person, doesn't consume that much more of "normal" services than a much poorer person. However he makes his money off the fact that he has good quaility, safe roads to transport across, health, educated people to drive his trucks and a government that protect his entire operation from being attacked

in what way is he not using a hugely disproportionate amount of resources compared to a poor person
    UPS does not get free access to the roads. They probably pay millions upon millions of gasoline taxes, tolls, registration fees for their vehicles (which cost more for commercial vehicles than private ones), property taxes that go towards schools and the like, plus significant taxes on their profits, as well as a host of local, state and government taxes. And let's not forget the income taxes paid by their employees.

Your claim that UPS, and therefore its CEO, are using a disproportionate share of government resources doesn't really hold up.

Yes, they get the benefit of the law and order agencies that protect us all from roving bands of Huns. But, I don't see any evidence that they get more out of that based on what they pay into the system than anyone else.

So, they pay a proportion of taxes that reflects their proportional usage of the system

some people were arguing that the rich pay far more, but get no more benefit/use no more of the system than a poor person, which is what that post was meant to show is stupid

ronzo on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

They CAN.

They DON'T.

SHOW YOUR MATH! PROVE IT WITH NUMBERS!!!!!

*cough* from the article posted on the previous page:

If you notice if you had 3.3 middle income familes (which would have the same household income as the 1 upper class family) will spend roughly ~113k a year while the 1 upper income family only spends 69k a year. Jesus, Futurist, how hard is this to understand.
    10chart.large.gif

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That was quite the trolling. I actually laughed out loud, thank god I didnt participate in this.

And he made the account just to post in this thread. nice.

geckahn on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

They CAN.

They DON'T.

No, not run away, but...yeah...was fun! And, in all seriousness, some good points by many of you.

Than, for love of god, use your mod powers

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I... I'll be honest here. I'm not sure what those two very prettily colored graphs are showing me. The article kinda references the charts, so I think I'm missing something...

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Take the CEO of ups. I'm sure that he, as a person, doesn't consume that much more of "normal" services than a much poorer person. However he makes his money off the fact that he has good quaility, safe roads to transport across, health, educated people to drive his trucks and a government that protect his entire operation from being attacked

in what way is he not using a hugely disproportionate amount of resources compared to a poor person
    UPS does not get free access to the roads. They probably pay millions upon millions of gasoline taxes, tolls, registration fees for their vehicles (which cost more for commercial vehicles than private ones), property taxes that go towards schools and the like, plus significant taxes on their profits, as well as a host of local, state and government taxes. And let's not forget the income taxes paid by their employees.

Your claim that UPS, and therefore its CEO, are using a disproportionate share of government resources doesn't really hold up.

Yes, they get the benefit of the law and order agencies that protect us all from roving bands of Huns. But, I don't see any evidence that they get more out of that based on what they pay into the system than anyone else.

Can they write some of these operational expenses off? Rhetorical question BTW.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Poe's law is not to be fucked with.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Marginal utility of a dollar?

Shush, don't go bringing in those newfangled concepts here where emotion reigns supreme.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I... I'll be honest here. I'm not sure what those two very prettily colored graphs are showing me. The article kinda references the charts, so I think I'm missing something...

It looks like it used to take a long time for people to adopt new utilities, and now it doesn't. Notice the way the lines of the graphs tilt.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    geckahn wrote: »
    That was quite the trolling. I actually laughed out loud, thank god I didnt participate in this.

And he made the account just to post in this thread. nice.

You sir, are welcome! Some of it started out serious but, after a while, well...there you go. No need to mod, as I am done.

Futurist on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Not a typical graph, but not complicated ocne you figure it out. Ignore the slopes of all the line graphs, the upper bounc point is all that matters. thats how much is spent in each category by each income group (black, blue, pink). and the last category is thinks like savings, etc. which is the point of posting it.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, they pay a proportion of taxes that reflects their proportional usage of the system

some people were arguing that the rich pay far more, but get no more benefit/use no more of the system than a poor person, which is what that post was meant to show is stupid
    Comparing a corporation like UPS to a rich individual doesn't work. The rich guy doesn't have 10,000 vehicles on the roads. His personal usage of governmental resources is not ten times as high as a poor person who only pays 1/10th the taxes. If anything, the poor person uses more governmental resources than the rich guy.

So, if we're talking about individuals, the rich don't get more for their tax dollars than the poor. They get substantially less.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Talking about the CEO of UPS would make more sense.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ahhhh, I see now. Thanks 'jucar and geckahn.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Comparing a corporation like UPS to a rich individual doesn't work. The rich guy doesn't have 10,000 vehicles on the roads. His personal usage of governmental resources is not ten times as high as a poor person who only pays 1/10th the taxes. If anything, the poor person uses more governmental resources than the rich guy.

So, if we're talking about individuals, the rich don't get more for their tax dollars than the poor. They get substantially less.

Only if you have a vary narrow and myopic view of what constitutes utility and usage.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What jewcar said.
    These people are probably making more money because they are a large part of an expensive business that does use government resources. If the government didn't provide these things through taxes the businesses would have to pay more to maintain roads etc and the people at the top would be making less because the company has less profit.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What jewcar said.
    These people are probably making more money because they are a large part of an expensive business that does use government resources. If the government didn't provide these things through taxes the businesses would have to pay more to maintain roads etc and the people at the top would be making less because the company has less profit.

It's even simpler than that; without the liability of the corporation being isolated to equity, a lot of risk would not be undertaken. But should we not tax the positive outcomes of the underwriting of risk just because the underwriting enables more positive outcomes?

I'm not even against rich people being rich, I'm against middle class apologists for the rich who think they need to be defended because they're some Horatio Alger character in their own mind.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »

Only if you have a vary narrow and myopic view of what constitutes utility and usage.
    If by myopic and narrow, you mean measurable and quantifiable, rather than based on subjective standards, then sure.

Government is like any other service industry- money goes in, money comes out. If you're getting more out of it than you put into it, then you are ahead of the game and the current tax regime works for you.

What other objective standard would you propose using?

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Measuring individual gain is a complex issue.

See: This thread.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If by myopic and narrow, you mean measurable and quantifiable, rather than based on subjective standards, then sure.

Government is like any other service industry- money goes in, money comes out. If you're getting more out of it than you put into it, then you are ahead of the game and the current tax regime works for you.

Our standard doesn't have to be perfectly quantifiable. If we go back to the wacky UPS example, that guy still owns a portion (probably a large portion if he's wealthy based on stock value) of those trucks.

All of which still misses all of the other positive inputs the government has into Mr. Trucking Company's business.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's no way to perfectly measure benefit received from a government, but of the possible measurements we can assess and use, which could be more fair and accurate than wealth?

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It really depends. Personally, I think the rich get a lot out of not being raped.

What's the monetary value of "not rape?"

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There's no way to perfectly measure benefit received from a government, but of the possible measurements we can assess and use, which could be more fair and accurate than wealth?
    Using wealth as a measurement assumes that the government is responsible for the creation of wealth. That's an incredibly slanted view, in my opinion. At most, government sets up a system where people have the opportunity to create their own wealth.

Though, some people do get wealthy off of government- witness the shiny office buildings in Crystal City, next to the Pentagon.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Talking about the CEO of UPS would make more sense.

That was the comment. Since CEO of ups gets his money by using the system, his own personal usage is also tied to the use of his company. Otherwise, how would he pull a salary from it? This would also apply to everyone in the company, the more you make, the more resourses of the company you drain, the more of the system you use. I just used the CEO for the sake of simiplicty

it's not a perfect example by far, but it get the point across that no one makes money in a vacuum, and the people who think of income as pre-tax are in the wrong mindset

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Using wealth as a measurement assumes that the government is responsible for the creation of wealth. That's an incredibly slanted view, in my opinion. At most, government sets up a system where people have the opportunity to create their own wealth.

Though, some people do get wealthy off of government- witness the shiny office buildings in Crystal City, next to the Pentagon.

I agree with this; the government sets a framework that can allow wealth creation, it doesn't create wealth in and of itself for the most part (there are some obvious issues with monopoly, political capture, subsidies, etc etc). The problem is that the framework doesn't benefit everyone proportionally in terms of the wealth created, therefore those who have more wealth created from using the framework should pay more into the system that upholds the framework.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes. Exactly. And what's the best way to fund that system? A usage fee. Conservatives should love usage fees, right? And who uses a system that is set up where people have the opportunity to create their own wealth the most? Why, the people who use the system the most.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Than and mrt144 post are pretty much the point I was trying to make.

ronzo on
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The difference is irrelevant to the point at hand. Wealth as normally defined in terms of current economic prosperity requires the government. Whether the government creates the wealth or the government creates and enforces an infrastructure that lets wealth be possible is a moot point. No government, no wealth. Let's just go with your assessment that the government enables wealth instead of creating it, we arrive at the same inevitable conclusion.

Government costs money. Who benefits most from the infrastructure that allows wealth to exist? Obviously those with the most wealth. It isn't a perfect measurement of "benefit received from the government," but it is the best measurement we have available to us.

PotatoNinja on
    Two goats enter, one car leaves