As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4e IC] Den of the Slavetakers

robp85robp85 Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Critical Failures
svnmls.jpg

The Adventurers:
2008mkw.pngKazadim Yri-Rozen - Causticsoul Warlord - Submitted by Draw On Holy Might
2lna9hi.pngAyliana - Eladrin Paladin - Submitted by Joeslop
347i1ow.pngFlutter - Deva Druid - Submitted by InkSplat
ndrhc2.pngxeiq68.pngMalryna Kilrae and Blackfang - Drow Ranger - Submitted by TiamatZ
346kwgj.pngPaela - Halfling Sorceress - Submitted by El Skid

A little background/history on the Chaos Scar for those of you who have not read it:
Long ago, a dark power traveled through the space between worlds, intent on finding world upon which to wreak havoc. After seeding countless wars on many worlds, it found a new world to ruin. There it crash-landed, embedding itself deep in the ground and carving a valley-sized furrow in its wake. Patient beyond mortal comprehension, it began to sow the seeds of evil and reach out to those of a perverse and corruptible bent.

The Chaos Scar is a long, wide valley carved long ago by the fall of a massive meteor. As the giant rock passed overhead, milk curdled, livestock fell over dead, and ill fortune befell all. The meteor crashed into the earth with deafening force, and red radiance lit the sky for a week. Then it vanished.

The meteor had carved its massive gash in a dark and wild place between points of civilization. Where once had stood a wild forest and swamp between a line of small hills was this new valley—the Chaos Scar.

Over a mile long and several hundred feet deep, the Chaos Scar is a testament to the vast power of the meteor’s impact. As it carved its path through the earth, shards and fragments of the meteor tore away until only its heart remained, embedded in an escarpment at the far end of its new home. There, it sent out its call. Over the centuries, creatures of evil spirit have been drawn to this beacon. The meteor's dark sentience spurred competition among them so that they fought with one another. The weak were killed or pushed to the edges of the meteor’s influence, while the strong and cruel rose to the top of the pecking order.

Following years of conflict, a group has emerged to rule the valley. It calls itself the Brotherhood of the Scar. Some nearby cities and nation states believe them to be worshipers of Bane. Others think them servitors of Zehir, or possibly a demon prince. The order seems to have reached some sort of understanding with the meteor, because while the conflicts between the monsters of the Chaos Scar continue, the Brotherhood is left to its own devices. The Brotherhood built a keep around the meteor, and the other denizens of the Scar have carved out their own dominions within the valley’s many caves. The weakest settle near the mouth of the valley and the plain beyond, while the strongest lair closer to the valley’s terminus and in the fortress that now encloses the valley’s upper wall.

Some cities have tried to hem in the threat of the Chaos Scar, with little to no success. A long-forgotten ruler who fancied himself a king erected a wall across the valley’s mouth long ago. It still stands, partly in ruins, its gates open and unguarded. Towers that once ringed the valley have fallen to ruin as well. Some are inhabited by monsters; others are simply empty.

The Chaos Scar itself is death to most who wander in. It is filled with evil and riddled with caves both natural and tunneled by generations of monstrous denizens. The deeper one travels into the valley, the deadlier the foes lurking in its caves and hollows. Strange features have been raised, or have simply appeared, within the Scar—circles of standing stones, bizarre towers, grotesque cottages, and other more otherworldly features. Capping off the valley is the fortress of Hallowgaunt, home to the mysterious Brotherhood of the Scar, crowned by a perpetual storm of black clouds and crackling lightning.

Many adventurers have entered the Chaos Scar. Few have returned. Those that do weave dark stories of monsters working in concert as never before. Others tell of monstrous creatures working against one another. Welcome to the Chaos Scar.

Mika looks around at the group of adventurers gathered before her. They had put out word to the general public that help was needed but Mika did not expect the hodgepodge of characters surrounding her now would be the ones to answer the call.

Well, I guess those with the least to lose are the ones who are more likely to show up, she tells herself.

With a weird looking Genasi, an Eladrin, a Deva, a Halfling, and even a Drow, this group would be interesting, to say the least.

Mika is a priestess of Avandra. She's a younger priestess, not looking to be more than 25 years old. Her gold robe hangs from her delicate frame gracefully and as she walks the robe flows with her fluid movements.

"Thank you all for answering the Temple of Avandra's call," her voice is smooth like silk and echoes through the room in which you stand. "Recently, the small town of King's Watch has had people go missing: two human males, two Halfling males and two Halfling females. We believe a Halfling named Morgana is the reason these people are missing. We have been unable to deal with her and her cultists so that is why we sent for all of you."

She takes another moment to clear her throat before continuing and begins pacing.

"Morgana leads a group of cultists who worship Torog in a temple nearby. We are not sure exactly where they are but we do know that they are not far from the King's Wall. Please, help us eliminate this threat to us and our small town. You will, of course, be handsomely rewarded."

She finishes her small speech and looks around the room, ready to field any questions you may have.
Alright. Here's the beginning of our adventure. You're all welcome to meet each other, RP a little and ask Mika any questions you may have. We will begin the adventure and hopefully roll initiative for the first time come Monday.

I hope you all enjoy your time playing. My goal is that we all have fun and move along in the adventure. Let's roll some dice!

Some additional info:
Character sheets should be posted on Myth-weavers or Orokos.
Rolling can be done on Invisible Castle or Orokos.
Please roll under the campaign name "PA Den of the Slavetakers".
Posting should occur at least once a weekday from everyone, we want to keep the adventure going.
Any other rules will be posted here as I remember them :)

Skard, Shifter Warden
Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
robp85 on
«134567

Posts

  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Flutter eyes her surroundings warily for a moment, looking from face to face at the individuals around her. This was, no doubts, the oddest sight she had perhaps ever seen. The butterflies dancing around her agreed.

    Perhaps not, some whispered about the chore they had sent her on. Still time to turn back. Though no one else could hear them. The deva shook her head, eying the fickle creatures.

    No, she wasn't going anywhere. She wanted her peace and quiet--that would be reward enough.

    "When do we leave?" was all she asked, looking out from beneath the hood of her cloak. As far as she was concerned, nothing else really mattered.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Paela looked up at the priestess. The effect was...unnerving. The halfling's eyes were not quite straight, so that neither eye was actually looking directly at the priestess as she spoke. "Do we know anything about these people? Did they have anything in common- like all being worshippers of Avandra, or all being students of Magic?"

    The halfling paused, as though listening to something. "Good point. We'd also like to know who this Torog is, and what his aims are. We've never heard of him."

    El Skid on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "The pleasure's all ours, priestess Mika." Malryna bows to the priestess.

    "To be honest me and my companion here..." Malryna stops midsentence, staring at her companion Blackfang, a large tarantula, hiding behind one of the Drow's legs sheepishly (and passes the time staring at the many butterflies fluttering around the deva, thinking how one would taste). Predicting the spider's actions all to well, she slaps Blackfang swiftly (but not too hard) on the head for even thinking such an act. Butterflies are living beings too, Blackfang!

    "As I was saying, me and my companion only came here out of pure dumb luck. If not for one of your temple's many parchments you so gratiously distributed to the outlying towns, we would never have come here standing in front of your presence. But since we're here, we'll help you as much as we can... for a fee of course."

    She takes a glance at the odd halfling before asking, "Aye, it seems none of us have heard of this Torog before. Tell us, is he some type of demon the cultists are fanatically worshipping?"

    Or perhaps I've heard of this being before, as Malryna tries to recollect a memory from her many times relaxing at a tavern, eavesdropping on the local town's drunks spreading their rumors, hoping that even one rumor might glean some information about the being...
    Streetwise check: 17
    By "we", I mean me and Blackfang.

    Edit: Fixed some spelling and grammar stuff...

    TiamatZ on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mika replies to the Deva first.

    "We would like you to leave as soon as you can. You should be able to make it to the general area of the hideout within a day's walk."

    She turns to the others and continues to speak.

    "As far as we can tell, those that were taken have little in common other than they were at the wrong place at the wrong time."

    She shakes her head obviously sad as she thinks of those taken but composes herself before she continues, "Torog is the god of Darkness, entrapment, isolation, and pain. Most often, he is worshiped by slavers, jailers and torturers. Unfortunately, beyond these things, we don't know much about him. We do know that Morgana calls her group the "Hand of Torog," though. We also suspect that she has collected a fragment of the meteor that created the Chaos Scar, but those rumors have not yet been confirmed. Needless to say, if she can harness the power of the meteor, she would become an even greater problem than she already is."

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kazadim had arrived here at the temple earlier than the others, some few hours ago, as it was one of the few places of interest in this wretched land that he had not yet taken the time to visit. It would prove to be an excellent opportunity to study up on the teachings of Avandra, of which he had little knowledge. Much of his religious expereience had come from his father, who had been a devout worshipper and scribe of Melora. Kazadim knew only a few of the basic tennets of the other faiths, supplemented mostly by stereotypes.

    Though none could take the place of the Lady of the Tides, he discovered the church of Avandra to be mostly enlightening, but so much reliance on fate and luck had no appeal to him.

    When the audience with the priestess was called, Kazadim took the time to greet her properly, as well as the other adventurers as they came in. He was abrupt, if not very traditional about the whole thing.

    Standing here now, listening to the situation, he shook his head sternly at the description of Torog and his portfolio.

    "None of this bodes well for your missing people."

    His voice was smooth, words flowing over one another like water; yet there was still something dark and strained, wholly unnatural, about it.

    "Groups like this... Hand of Torog seem familiar. In any event, if they are as bad as the patron deity they serve, we should be wary."
    History check 19. Trying to recall anything about followers of dark gods in the area, but Torog specifically

    Draw On Holy Might on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ayliana listened to the priestess' words, absorbing every bit. Kidnappings by beings obsessed with power or thinking they served their god and would be rewarded happened far too often for her liking. There was always, ALWAYS, a way to prevent these from happening. Clearly the town had not been vigilant enough about cults and shady beings slithering their way into being trusted. Now the hand that had been feeding was being eaten with the rest and had to be rescued.

    Taking the steel helmet held under her arm and smoothly placing it on her head, she fixed the priestess with a hard stare.

    "I see no reason to wait. We WILL return your people and find the one responsible for their capture. Whether this person returns with us remains to be seen; I suggest that you spend the time we're gone trying to remove the claws of this cult from your town. Once they're dug in deep it will be impossible to find and remove them.
    Ayliana lets everyone finish asking their questions, having none of her own to add. She has received the problem and plans to solve it by the direct route, heading straight to the hideout. She will wait until everyone is ready and has their answers but taking too long will annoy her.

    Joeslop on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "I'm sure that torturers and slavers would need to associate with...certain kinda of people. Why don't we start by trying to find these people and... persuade them that it would be best to tell us about this cult."

    A flickering ball of...something appears in Paela's hands as she contemplates this persuasion, and she begins to toss it up and down like a ball... it glows faintly in a shifting array of colours, and makes a faint 'gloop' sound every time it lands back in the palm of her hand.

    El Skid on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kazadim's History Check:
    Nothing really stands out to you other than the basic information here. The Chaos Scar attracts all kind of evil to itself. That would explain, partially, why Morgana has made the decision to set up camp near it.

    Paela'a Streetwise Check:
    Nothing really stood out to you on the way in. Of course, you could have been too busy playing with your chaos magic to notice. Who knows...

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    "I think you only have the solution half right, Halfling. Though it's not the whom we're looking for, but the where. Torturers and slavers tend to hide from the general populace both inside and outside towns and villages, ambushing their people only in the empty streets, or perhaps in this very valley." Malryna couldn't resist a smirk at the cross-eyed halfling, obviously bored of the whole discussion. "Not to mention we don't know the exact location of the temple."

    Malryna takes another sly look to the strange Genasi standing next to her. She heard and saw her share of Genasi before, but none that looked even remotely to this man's physique. Malryna pointedly reminded herself to make sure not to shake hands with this acidic looking Genasi... yet. She turns her head to the priestess before continuing on with her discussion.

    "Tell us priestess, are there any caves or remote areas in this valley that you might know of. You know, the kind that look suspicious to travellers, or ones that might pose as an excellent ambush spot for potential victims? I mean, this temple the cultists now supposedly inhabit sounds too good a spot to lay a trap for would be adventurers. Perhaps they may have hidden the prisoners someplace else."
    Nature roll on any caves or hidden areas in the valley that might look suspicious to the priestess, or to me when I came to the temple on my way here: 23

    Edit: Malryna (and by default, Blackfang) is ready to go wherever the group needs to go, whether it's in a forest, cave or town.

    TiamatZ on
  • Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kazadim wondered how much more information they could really get out of the frail priestess, but she seemed liable to break in half under the slightest bit of pressure, so he thought it best not to find anything out the hard way.

    "If it is near the King's Wall, this temple should not be hard to find. All we need is a direction. Perhaps asking around town is a good idea, but we should be quick if the Priestess has nothing further for us."

    His smooth voice lowered dramatically.
    "I fear every second we spend here puts the captives in more danger. We must cleanse these cultists from the land as swiftly as possible."

    Draw On Holy Might on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The ball of..stuff... popped out of existence, and Paela nodded her head.

    "Yeah, let's get a move on. Unless the priestess has anything else she forgot to tell us, we should get going."

    El Skid on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Now we're talking. I have my doubts that this group would kidnap people just to set a trap for their rescuers. We move in, take them out, rescue the hostages. Easy in, easy out.

    Joeslop on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malryna glances to the armoured Eladrin close by. Throughout her life she was told that of the three fey races (the elves, eladrin and drow), Eldarin were considered the greatest of the fey, with the highest of authority and respect in the land, whereas the Drow were considered scum; nothing more than selfish, vile creatures of the Underdark. As far as Malryna's concerned, there was very little difference between all of them, other than the colour of skin of course.

    "Agreed then, maybe I've been giving this cult too much credit. Perhaps it's just another petty group of slavers calling themselves a cult. Pretty understandable."

    Well of course its understandable, Malryna reasons. Ever since that overgrown chunk of rock came blasting from the skies and crashed in this here valley, there's been an increase in cult activities all over the land. Most were just nothing more than small groups with delusions of grandeur, who would inevitably fall apart due to deception and petty infighting for their self-obsessed power. But some were successful, such as the Brotherhood of the Scar the ranger kept hearing around the neighbouring towns.
    This Drow and spider duo is !Ready for anything.

    TiamatZ on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mika answers Malryna's question.

    "To be honest, it all looks suspicious. There are very few people out there because of the danger. It seems to me that it would be the perfect place for a cult to hide out."

    As the rest of the group seems prepared to go, the young priestess gives them a little more advice.

    "We will lead you to the gate and point you in the right direction. From there, you'll have to rely on your hunting instincts to find the cult. If possible, please save those people that were taken from us."
    First, sorry about not posting this weekend. Busy busy...

    Second, let me know when you all are !Ready to go and we'll continue on. If you've got something else you want to do in the town or ask Mika, now would be the time.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    !ready here

    El Skid on
  • Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kazadim offered a quick prayer to Melora for guidance and victory.
    Though, he kept it from being spoken aloud while inside the temple and in front of the Priestess.
    !Ready to go

    Draw On Holy Might on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    !Ready

    Joeslop on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And we move on...

    Mika introduces you to your guide. A short halfling man by the name of Garrow stands in front of you. His short brown hair sits on his head almost as a wig would and his bright blue eyes looks your group all over. As you all are led to the outside of the temple, Garrow tells you what must be done.

    "We are headed to the King's Gate. Once we get there, I'll leave you to figure out what has happened to the missing people on your own. I'm sure you adventurers can figure this out and solve our problems for us." The halfing is annoyingly hopeful and cheery and you notice the pitch of his voice continue to rise as he speaks. "We are all counting on you. This is so exciting! I've never seen real life adventurers before."

    You see his eyes dart back and forth, taking in everyone from the group. He isn't even afraid of, and in fact seems interested in, Malryna's spider companion.

    His chatter continues all the way to the gate (a good six hour walk) leaving your group little time to talk amongst each other. His questions spew from his mouth as water would from a geyser that never ends.

    Finally, you get your reprieve as you reach your destination. He bids your group farewell before heading gleefully back to the temple. Now standing at the gate which is left wide open, you must figure out what needs to be done to find the temple.
    Alright, our first skill challenge!

    Round 1

    Every hour, you must give me an endurance check (DC 10) and either a nature, perception or arcana check (all DC 15). For every endurance check failed, you lose a healing surge. The other three skills are used to find the location of the temple (5 successes needed). Perception and nature are obviously meant to physically track footprints or other signs and arcana is meant to detect the evil magic going on. Let's see what ya'll got!

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Paela began searching for signs of the cult by examining the magical residues around the gate- though she kept in good spirits, she hadn't found any clues by the end of the first hour. She may or may not have been somewhat distracted by some of the more interesting traces of strong magic that had nothing to do with the cult.
    Hour 1 Rolls

    Endurance(DC10): 1d20+1= 14
    Arcana(DC15): 1d20+5= 10

    El Skid on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malryna scouts the path ahead, within earshot of the group. She orders Blackfang to scurry around (and within) bushes to avoid and alert the group to any ambushers (and also to scare would be amushers with a giant spider). The valley here wasn't any more different than any environment she travelled in (except of course that it festered with a malignant evil in it).

    As she travelled ahead, she spots for any footprints, or places where struggles seemed to have occured. She doubted these slavers would hide their trail well, so it was only a matter of time before they would find them.

    Rolls: Hour 1

    Nature check: (1d20+7) = 27
    Endurance check: (1d20+7) = 17
    Blackfang's endurance check: (1d20+1) = 12

    (Your call on this; the martial power book doesn't say if companions join in skill challenges, so you can call if it counts or not. Blackfang does have healing surges on her though.)

    TiamatZ on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nah, let's not include Blackfang in these skill checks. We'll assume it has no trouble keeping up or protecting itself from the dangers of the Scar.

    Alright, so we have two people's rolls so far. No missed endurance checks and 1/5 successes.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kazadim resisted the slowly growing urge to strangle their Halfling guide during the, what now seemed to be endless, march towards the King’s Wall. He had met only a few of them in his life up to this point, and despite his normal tolerance for most things not directly or actively malign, his patience for the diminutive race was growing relatively thin. Garrow’s tenacity in conversation and ceaseless curiosity was tiresome, but he did appear to know his way around the land – Kazadim had to give that to his credit.

    At least, he thought, with a wary look at Paela, this one has proven to be much less bothersome.
    Easily distracted, perhaps. But so far agreeable.

    Out in the open now, in the heart of the Scar, the group was on their own. Kazadim was no stranger to the perils of this cursed land, but he had never ventured past the King’s Wall before. Though it proved to be an embarrassingly ineffective barrier, it was still a symbolic landmark in many ways. He was more cautious than anything. Dark things lurked all around in the Scar, and he was in unfamiliar territory.
    Here is where he and his new companions would prove themselves against the dangers of this wretched place.

    He closed his eyes and attempted to tune himself in with the flowing current of latent energies that flowed around everything here.

    “I sense… I sense something malevolent.”
    Now connected with the world, he spoke in a detached voice – hollow, and dripping with caustic acrimony. “They are close.”
    He pointed in the direction, the earth beneath his outstretched hand scorching with an audible hiss at the acid that dripped slowly onto it.

    Rolls!
    Endurance check (1d20+7) = 20, for not strangling Garrow. And, you know, I guess to keep my healing surges.
    Arcana check (1d20+4) = 21, for detecting evil magics.

    Draw On Holy Might on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ayliana keeps to the front, watching the path and sides for any sign of danger.

    (and not noticing much of anything, yeesh)
    Endurance check: 1d20+3 21
    Arcana: 1d20+3 4

    Joeslop on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, we've got four rolls at this point. No one missed their endurance checks so far and we've got 2/5 successes. Just waiting on Flutter's rolls.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Flutter made her way through the wilderness with ease, watching her companions from within the shadows of her hood. She whispered silently as they all walked, speaking quietly to the butterflies that made their home in the air around her.

    "We think that is the way," she says, watching as a trail of butterflies begins to diverge from the way of the group as they trek through the foreign landscape.
    Endurance: 1d20+2=20
    Perception: 1d20+9=20

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Round 2

    Looks like we've got 3/5 successes and no one has missed their endurance roll yet. Everyone is free to roll their second tracking and endurance rolls now.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Paela continued to be in high spirits, and though she found some tantalizing hints she had not managed to turn up anything useful by the end of the second hour.

    El Skid on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malryna nearly sprained her ankle when she misjudged a small crevice and jumped over, barely reaching the other side. She cursed herself for underestimating another jump, and ticked another mark off for taking things too lightly (which was well over the 300 mark she gathered throughout her years).

    As she stayed ahead of the group, she caught sight of another trail of footprints. Upon inspecting them closely, she concluded that these were only a few days old at best.

    We're getting closer, Malryna mused to herself.
    Rolls: Hour 2

    Perception check: (1d20+7) = 27
    Endurance check: (1d20+7) = 22

    Edit: It was a perception check, not a nature check

    TiamatZ on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, we have 4/5 successes and still no failures on the endurance checks. Wow, this is apparently too easy, eh? Hehe.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Flutter continued to follow the others, keeping an eye and ear open to her smaller companions--and was forced to scold the latter more than once for getting distracted by their warped and twisted surroundings.
    Endurance: 1d20+2=10 Woo.Close one.
    Perception: 1d20+9=11 Blargh.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The energies of the land continued to flow through Kazadim, a current of subtle power and whispered curses in the dark. The ground beneath his feet almost seemed to turn green a vibrant again, as if renewed by his new connection with the world, but the sensation was fleeting, as he continued to take slow steps forward. He had felt the presence of something nearby, a direction, perhaps a sign… some thing evil and unnatural, even in the Scar.

    He felt it again. A pounding in his head; a vision of terror. It was closer this time, and it came with a much greater force.
    He was not expecting it. Kazadim let out a quick cry of anguish as his eyes flew open suddenly as he stumbled backwards for a few steps. After steadying himself, he cleared his throat abruptly, looking around to see if anyone had noticed the outburst.

    “My friends,” he called out, “what have you discovered so far?”

    More rolls!
    Endurance check (1d20+7) = 12
    Arcana check (1d20+4) = 24
    Good game on rolling a natural 20 for a damn Arcana check... there goes my luck

    Draw On Holy Might on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually tracking someone or something down had never been one of Ayliana's strong suits. There were always animals or humanoids trained for such. She was much more interested in the actually apprehending and bringing to justice.
    Endurance: 1d20+3 20
    Arcana: 1d20+3 9

    Joeslop on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Skill Challenge Completed!

    Congratulations, you've completed the skill challenge. 75 xp for each of you. We will now move on.

    The combined efforts from all of you eventually leads you onto a solid trail which leads to a slight depression in the land.

    The depression in the valley floor leads to a wide cavern that slopes gently downward. You don’t have to be a tracker to tell that many people have walked in and out of this cavern recently, following a single-file trail— tracks from boots and tracks from small feet, likely children or halflings. The cavern slopes gently down, turning into a wide corridor.
    You're all standing outside the cavern. Let me know when you're ready to move in.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malryna scouts the cave's entrance outside thouroughly. Once she was finished, she moved back to the group.

    "This looks like the entrance. I'll take point. With my darkvision we'll hopefully be able to spot our foes." She points to Blackfang, gives a few hand signals (only those that she and Blackfang knew of), moves to the entrance, and waits for her companion.

    Blackfang, on cue, scurried next to her master. Just as she was taught, Blackfang scurried inside the cave and started climbing upwards to the ceiling. This trick, Malryna thought, was one of her more original ideas. She can look for threats on the floor, while Blackfang would scout the ceiling for any threats to her master (which was quite common inside caves). That way they would know where the danger would come from.

    She signalled the group to form up and move in, while the Drow quietly searched the cavern's corridor, like a mantis searching for her prey...
    Malryna:
    Stealth Check: (1d20+5) = 16

    Blackfang:
    Stealth Check: (1d20+8 [+3 dex mod +5 trained]) = 27

    Hopefully nobody in the cave spots Blackfang...

    TiamatZ on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "I'm right behind you. If you see ANYTHING that looks dangerous, drop to a crouch and let me up there. I'll hold it back from the rest of you."
    Uh...hope you weren't planning on nothing hearing anyone >.>
    Stealth: 1d20-4 -2

    Joeslop on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Flutter eyed the eager ranger and loud paladin with minor disdain, the butterflies around her pulsing with the rise in emotion. And then, without warning, the deva herself was gone--the swarm of colorful creatures more than quadrupled in the blink of an eye.

    "We are vigilant," pulsed a thousand tiny voices as twice as many eyes peered at their surroundings.

    The waltzing cloud remained outside the entrance of the cavern.
    Perception: 1d20+9=18
    Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes: 1d6=5
    Total Perception roll: 23.

    InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Yeeeeah. Maybe I should go ahead... Some of you don't look too sneaky." Paela says, looking at the Paladin's feeble attempts at stealth with distaste. "I'll send my familiar back if I see anything."

    She hunched down and sneaks off remarkably quietly, hoping to see what the cave has to offer.
    Stealth Roll: 1d20+9=15

    El Skid on
  • Draw On Holy MightDraw On Holy Might Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cautious of the situation, but unsure of how to better approach it, Kazadim did not protest to his companions’ choice of actions.

    The Drow and the Halfling had disappeared quickly into the caverns depths and natural shadows, although the Eladrin could still be seen, creeping after them both. He remained behind with the Deva, who had just burst into a myriad of butterflies that all spoke as one. How unnerving.
    He glanced around outside one last time, before slowly drawing his sword, keeping it at the ready.

    He spoke quietly to the swarm, blindly guessing a direction in which to address it. “We should not tarry so far behind the others. The Goddess only knows what might lurk within these caves.”

    He took a closer look at the tracks that led them here before he proceeded any further in.
    “But... if they are children, it will certainly give me some pause before I run them through.”
    Checks!
    Nature (1d20+2) = 5 and Dungeoneering (1d20) = 7
    Neither of which probably identifies shit.
    But, Stealth (1d20-2) = 13

    Draw On Holy Might on
  • robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You slowly enter the corridor, though some not so quietly. Sunlight streams from the cracks in the ceiling providing enough light for everyone to see clearly. Paela, Malryna, Ayliana and Blackfang take the lead while Flutter and Kazadim stay at the entrance.

    A draft of air blows from the inside of the cavern giving everyone a whiff of death and fungus, though at this point it is not obvious where those putrid smells originate from.

    Nature/Dungeoneering for Kazadim:
    It's a dungeon, alright, in the middle of nature (if the Chaos Scar can be called that). There's not much else you notice.

    Perception for Flutter:
    Everything looks like a normal cavern except for the small slit in the raised wall on the opposite wall (@C18).

    For everyone's convenience, a map has been provided :)
    2rmnkg8.jpg

    Status:
    Kazadim - 24/24 - AC18/F15/R15/W12 - HS 8/8 - AP 1/2
    @E0 - Status: Normal.
    Ayliana - 29/29 - AC20/F14/R14/W14 - HS 12/12 - AP 1/2
    @E2 - Status: Normal.
    Flutter - 28/28 - AC15/F13/R13/W15 - HS 10/10 - AP 1/2
    @D0 - Status: Normal.
    Malryna - 25/25 - AC16/F14/R14/W12 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @E3 - Status: Normal -- Blackfang @E4
    Paela - 25/25 - AC14/F11/R14/W16 - HS 7/7 - AP 1/2
    @D3 - Status: Normal.

    robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "No exceptions. Kazadim's your name, right? Listen. Our priority here is the prisoners this cult has captured. If children captured these people for slavery, then they are beyond hope..."

    The Genasi and Eladrin give the Drow a stern look. Malryna quickly finishes. "...unless we find the 'queen' of this 'ant' cult and kill it. Then, and perhaps only then, might the children realize their error."

    "But until then, the safety of the prisoners come first!"

    Malryna scouts the cavern further. Not seeing any more threats from below, and with no signals from Blackfang to warn incoming danger from above, the ranger moves silently to the slit in the wall.

    Blackfang took his regular position of covering the Drow's back. Should an intruder appear, Blackfang would drop down in a heartbeat to protect her master.

    After seeing what she wanted, she turned silently to the party, waving her hand to signal if anyone else wants to see through the wall.
    Malryna moves to C17 to check on what's behind hole #1.

    Perception check: (1d20+7) = 26
    Stealth Check (to peek unnoticed): (1d20+7) = 20

    Afterwards, I'll move to C16 for others to try.

    Blackfang scurries to F15, checking to make sure nobody surprises me from behind (and should they, let a giant spider fall next or right on top of them :winky:).

    Black's Stealth: (1d20+8) = 22

    TiamatZ on
Sign In or Register to comment.