As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Comic Thread. Friday October 30th.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Judging from that newspost Gabe never played Braid

Or Blinx the Timesweeper

or Cursor 10.

I haven't played it so I don't know how well Ratchet and Clank pulls it off but it's not a new mechanic.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    what the fuck why is his mouse on the LEFT

Maybe he's a left handed mouser.

They exist. My dad's one. Makes it annoying as hell when we're trying to come up with a nice control scheme for a game we both play.

Also the Dune reference in Gabe's post made me very happy.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Is there a 7-tan yet?

yeah, well before the os even came out

also I still refuse to move on from XP because I have too many old games that will stop working if I do

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    wow
    he's pretty damn melodramatic in the news post about Vista

having used Vista the last couple of years, I don't get what he's talking about

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was pretty bad right when it was released, and the average user became super frustrated with the UAC popping up for damn near anything, but weren't assed to look up how to turn it off, so instead they'd bitch.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    yeah, but this is me

you know how tech savvy I'm not
    and even I figured out how to get around the UAC

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Butler wrote: »
    Hello Waterface for best name ever.

Hell yes it is.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    yeah, but this is me

You also understand what a web browser is. The average person doesn't.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ZeroCow wrote: »

I like how these commercials seem to insinuate that Windows users have the mind of a 5 year old.

NO YOU ARE!

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    yeah, but this is me

yeah, but it's Tycho ranting about how terrible Vista is

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, Vista wasn't that bad at all.

Obviously, Tycho is relating an anecdote here and can't speak authoritatively on the OS as a whole, especially given the brief nature of his experience.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    this comic ain't doing it for me

It's the lensflare, isn't it

bombardier on
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    redhead wrote: »
    I almost feel like this would be better without the windows 7 cds thing in the first two frames

The word you are looking for is 'box'.

Box.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    edityb.jpg

BlackDove on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there a 7-tan yet?

also I still refuse to move on from XP because I have too many old games that will stop working if I do

Windows XP mode in 7

I don't ever want to go back to XP.

More info

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    Is there a 7-tan yet?

Windows XP mode in 7

More info

I dunno

I've run into compatability modes and whatnot not doing what they say on the tin a lot of times before

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    edityb.jpg

This is a pretty stupid edit. Sure the difference isn't as big as from XP to Vista, but it is still substantial enough on its own.

Also it is kind of sad that Tycho had such a horrible experience with Vista. I'm sure a lot of people did and yes, the service packs did help tremendously.

But the RC for Windows 7 was fantastic as hell. The final version is pretty great. I was going to say he is depriving himself by waiting until the first service pack, but that is a bit dramatic. He is just sticking with a crappier platform.

Not that it really matters though.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Is there a 7-tan yet?

Windows XP mode in 7

More info

I dunno

I've run into compatability modes and whatnot not doing what they say on the tin a lot of times before

This isn't "compatability mode". It is like if you were running Windows XP in boot camp from your Mac or something. (I'm not saying you as in "you" but the general sense"

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    so it would be the same as running XP in VirtualBox?

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah, but this is me

yeah, but it's Tycho ranting about how terrible Vista is

When I upgraded laptops from my old p4 XP machine to a Vista machine sporting a Centrino Duo and 4x the RAM almost everything on it ran significantly slower and it still runs like shit if you ask me.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    so it would be the same as running XP in VirtualBox?

Probably.

Was that bad? I never actually did any of this stuff, it just seemed all good and official or something.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    it is still substantial enough on its own.

Everything is the same with the exception of a few standalone patches, the graphical interface, and the directory subdivision.

Windows 7 is technically Vista SP3 (with the root altered a bit), and there's a reason it's only NT6.1 instead of 6.0, which is what Vista is.

Hardly any change at all. The fact that the search indexes are faster and so on and so forth is just simply a patchfix from the root that Vista never got (though it has gotten its own patches and improvements in that area).

Hiring a guy to make new menus and interface animations in photoshop who works in conjunction with a scripter to tie them all together in a slightly different way, does not a new OS make. And they still use the same shell to boot.

It's just that the "Vista" name is tainted by the initial problems of hardware incompatibility and various other problems, that they decided once they locked down a "safe build" of Vista, to just rename it and sell it as a new product with cosmetic enhancements. It's a marketing and PR move more than anything.

Same thing, just looks a bit different, and has really the most minimal improvements, most of which you had already (or can have) with third party software on Vista.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah but for those of us who were holding out and not buying Vista because of all the issues it had, Windows 7 has finally appeared as an acceptable upgrade for us.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Same thing, just looks a bit different, and has really the most minimal improvements, most of which you had already (or can have) with third party software on Vista.

I never got vista though

so it is a good upgrade

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Unless you purchased a new computer during the Vista era, I can't see any good reason for having Vista.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The price is probably the only one. If you have Vista SP2, you really don't need to spend one dime on 7, as the improvements are minor.

But yeah, by all means, Windows 7 is the best so far, as it's the most up-to-date copy of Vista.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Campion wrote: »
    redhead wrote: »
    I almost feel like this would be better without the windows 7 cds thing in the first two frames

The word you are looking for is 'box'.

Box.

ah yes

redhead on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The price is probably the only one. If you have Vista SP2, you really don't need to spend one dime on 7, as the improvements are minor.

But yeah, by all means, Windows 7 is the best so far, as it's the most up-to-date copy of Vista.

so you're just saying it should be called windows vista ocelot jaguar panther

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This comic does it for me.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

so you're just saying it should be called windows vista ocelot jaguar panther

Windows Thundercougarfalconbird

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    what a birthday comic

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm saying it should be called Vista. Because that's what it is.

XP went from versions NT5.1 to 5.2 and it was still called XP through its service packs and switch from x86 to x64 through its 5.5 year cycle.

Vista was version 6.0 but now suddenly two years after its release the upgrade to 6.1 is sold as an entirely new OS.

That was my point. You guys are saying you never got Vista. But you just did, when you got Windows 7.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »
    what a birthday comic

Seriously, too many people fuck on Valentine's Day. There's like ten of you every comic day in October with a birthday comic.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Good birthday comic.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It is a good birthday comic. Today is not my birthday, but you get the idea.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This was an excellent birthday comic.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Geek wrote: »
    Heh.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    it is still substantial enough on its own.

Everything is the same with the exception of a few standalone patches, the graphical interface, and the directory subdivision.

Windows 7 is technically Vista SP3 (with the root altered a bit), and there's a reason it's only NT6.1 instead of 6.0, which is what Vista is.

Hardly any change at all. The fact that the search indexes are faster and so on and so forth is just simply a patchfix from the root that Vista never got (though it has gotten its own patches and improvements in that area).

Hiring a guy to make new menus and interface animations in photoshop who works in conjunction with a scripter to tie them all together in a slightly different way, does not a new OS make. And they still use the same shell to boot.

It's just that the "Vista" name is tainted by the initial problems of hardware incompatibility and various other problems, that they decided once they locked down a "safe build" of Vista, to just rename it and sell it as a new product with cosmetic enhancements. It's a marketing and PR move more than anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_new_to_Windows_7

Okay yes that is what they are doing. You are still being dumb here.

Yes they had to come up with something quickly to make up for Vista, and since the last stable version was pretty decent, they used most of that. As far as I am aware, Apple doesn't change a ton between their various big cat names.

Basically, we are getting Windows 7. Saying "lolyou guys are only paying for Vista" is retarded and pointless. Okay, they patched Vista a lot. So they are calling the patched version 7 and I am only paying $20 for it. $20 for a Vista that works better than Vista. I am okay with that.

Artreus on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2009
    Well, you're only paying $20, but not everyone in this world is a student.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A duck! wrote: »
    Well, you're only paying $20, but not everyone in this world is a student.

He was saying nobody needs to spend a cent on it.

There are a shit-ton of people who get it for discounted prices. Or with a new computer or whatever.

There isn't no reason not to get it just because it is "VISTA again"

Artreus on
This discussion has been closed.