As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GO VOTE - 1st Tues in November (not as big as last year)[Elections]

• Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    NY City race call has been withdrawn by (MS)NBC at its back to 1% with 33% in

Yeah, I'm looking at the numbers here. That's an extremely narrow margin. That could very well change.

And it was a Dem sweep for the rest of the citywide offices. Except for Staten Island. Fuck Staten Island.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    REJECT SAME-SEX MARRIAGE LAW
    No 56659 50.62%
    Yes 55267 49.38%

Nail biting time.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    oh dear god help us if we get the republican governor

our current guy is a former goldman-sachs employee who bought his way into politics but new jersey's bad enough without republicans

Rust on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The media is going to be completely confused on their little narrative if Owens pulls the upset in NY-23, but the GOP wins in VA and NJ, especially if Maine gay marriage and Washington everything-but pass and especially if NYC shockingly changes hands
    galenblade wrote: »
    Fuck Staten Island.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No 56659 50.62%
    Yes 55267 49.38%

Nail biting time.

Most of Cumberland county is in, but none of the other "urban" areas of Maine have reported. Most of the votes that have come in for the big counties are from the more rural areas. On the other hand, several of the wasteland counties have yet to report in more than 1,000 total votes.

It's not going to be called anytime soon.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    The media is going to be completely confused on their little narrative if Owens pulls the upset in NY-23, but the GOP wins in VA and NJ, especially if Maine gay marriage and Washington everything-but pass and especially if NYC shockingly changes hands
    Fuck Staten Island.

sitrans.png

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, if they paid attention to facts their narrative would already be dead. Even less than the crazification factor (~27%) said they were expressing their negative opinion of their vote in NJ and VA.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AP calling NJ for Christie.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    werehippy wrote: »
    NY Times is calling Bloomberg winning the mayoral race.

This is me being surprised.

That is a bit of a surprise. It occurs to me the democrats better find a way of getting the base motivated over the next year or there really might be hell to pay.

What? Really!

The only real surprise so far, and that probably deserves quote around it, is Corzine losing out. And that's really more to do with people hating both of the options than anything else.

Christ, what's wrong with me tonight. I meant to quote the last set of NJ numbers. Sure, Corzine isn't well loved, but it's a deep blue machine state. Though to be fair, a lot of the state blogs I follow legitimately were optimistic about Thompson.

And as more of a general philosophical position, the democratic base is just listless at the moment, because even when we get things there's a feeling all the effort the last couple years hasn't really paid off and the price for everything we're getting is higher for less than what by all rights should be coming out of the government we elected. Hell, I like watching the sausage get made and even I can't get excited about the gains we're making most of the time. The base feels like our people aren't even trying to fight for the solutions they support, and if the party can't find a way to get them excited again I think people aren't going to be as interested in dedicating time and effort to get out there and make things happen.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »

welp, my shitty state's about to get a whole lot shittier

i'm just glad my brothers are going to be out of high school soon, at least they're not going to feel the burn so much when our infrastructure starts to die

Rust on
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait, is the NYC race actually in doubt?

Speaker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Speaker wrote: »

63% reporting:

Michael R. Bloomberg Rep. 326,339 48.9% Incumbent
    William C. Thompson Jr. Dem. 318,366 47.7

Jragghen on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And as more of a general philosophical position, the democratic base is just listless at the moment, because even when we get things there's a feeling all the effort the last couple years hasn't really paid off and the price for everything we're getting is higher for less than what by all rights should be coming out of the government we elected. Hell, I like watching the sausage get made and even I can't get excited about the gains we're making most of the time. The base feels like our people aren't even trying to fight for the solutions they support, and if the party can't find a way to get them excited again I think people aren't going to be as interested in dedicating time and effort to get out there and make things happen.

I'm hoping the silver lining to any GOP wins between now and 2010 is that it'll kick the democratic base in the ass and motivate them to actually go out to the polls, since the frothing teabaggers certainly will.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    NY-23 - 27% reporting

Bill Owens Dem. 20,071 50.6%
    Doug Hoffman Con. 17,603 44.4
    Dede Scozzafava Rep. 2,005 5.1

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

63% reporting:

The NYC democratic establishment and activists have been absurdly riled up between the dickery in the state senate and nursing a grudge against bloomberg for a few years, and they were really fired up about this race.

werehippy on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rust wrote: »

welp, my shitty state's about to get a whole lot shittier

i'm just glad my brothers are going to be out of high school soon, at least they're not going to feel the burn so much when our infrastructure starts to die

You say that as if any state is good about keeping their infrastructure in a state of not embarrassingly horrific conditions.

Well...maybe Hawaii.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    christie: I'VE GOT A PLAN TO REVIVE THE ECONOMY (don't ask me what it is)

the plan: tax cuts for the rich, deregulation

Rust on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    NY-23 - 27% reporting

Bill Owens Dem. 20,071 50.6%
    Doug Hoffman Con. 17,603 44.4
    Dede Scozzafava Rep. 2,005 5.1

If he actually manages to not only win, but win with a majority --rather than plurality-- that would be hilariously awesome.

moniker on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    oh, man, it'd be sweet if Hoffman loses.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rust wrote: »
    christie: I'VE GOT A PLAN TO REVIVE THE ECONOMY (don't ask me what it is)

the plan: tax cuts for the rich, deregulation

Combined with the plan the Republican have to allow health care to be sold across state lines, it's kind of brilliant. And really, a win for Democrats:

Attract all the health insurance companies to a horribly polluted swamp where they all get sick and deny themselves coverage! It's really too bad they don't have power nationally.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

I'm hoping the silver lining to any GOP wins between now and 2010 is that it'll kick the democratic base in the ass and motivate them to actually go out to the polls, since the frothing teabaggers certainly will.

I think it comes down to perception. The liberal position on healthcare never even got to the "everything's on the table" discussion table, so they felt from the word go they'd been screwed. The corresponding position on financial regulation is going to be full on breaking up the banks, hand of god from on high punishing all involved mode. Since that's basically one of the two positions I think the base will be happy with getting serious discussion, even if it doesn't ultimately get what it wants, at least enough to get fired up about trying to improve their position.

werehippy on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

63% reporting:

The NYC democratic establishment and activists have been absurdly riled up between the dickery in the state senate and nursing a grudge against bloomberg for a few years, and they were really fired up about this race.

Not to mention that Bloomberg's carpet-bombing of NYC with negative ads and reams of campaign literature isn't quite as charming when it's a reminder that his entire campaign is "Fuck you voters and your fucking term limits, I'm rich, biotch!".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not concerned about Hoffman losing by a large margin. Just him losing. It'll mean more splintering of the right-wing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I think the NYC mayor race is going to be what's talked about, along with NY-23.

The former wasn't intended to be anywhere near as close as it is.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    If I'm reading this right turnout was huge in Maine (No narrowly winning still)

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    31% in

Bill Owens Dem. 23,455 51.1%
    Doug Hoffman Con. 20,116 43.9
    Dede Scozzafava Rep. 2,294 5.0

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

63% reporting:

Not to mention that Bloomberg's carpet-bombing of NYC with negative ads and reams of campaign literature isn't quite as charming when it's a reminder that his entire campaign is "Fuck you voters and your fucking term limits, I'm rich, biotch!".

I thought that was a ticker tape parade.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not concerned about Hoffman losing by a large margin. Just him losing. It'll mean more splintering of the right-wing.

If he wins they might be more splintered. It's really a win-win.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maine, you suck.
    Yes 74802 50.51%
    No 73292 49.49%

Still got a bit more to go, but this still makes me sad.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    31% in

Bill Owens Dem. 23,455 51.1%
    Doug Hoffman Con. 20,116 43.9
    Dede Scozzafava Rep. 2,294 5.0

Oh God yes, please keep up this trend.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Esplain, I'm sleepy and want a bedtime story. :3

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Maine, you suck.
    Yes 74802 50.51%
    No 73292 49.49%

It still hasn't breached half of the precincts, and the more liberal urban areas always tend to be the last ones counted due to volume. Unless I'm missing something.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It will embolden the tea partiers to go after every moderate in the country. Which would be awesome. Might deal with our Olympia Snowe problem, if we're lucky.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The Tea Baggers split the vote and now there's an extra Democrat in Congress. Go go party infighting over having split the vote.

moniker on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maine, you suck.
    Yes 74802 50.51%
    No 73292 49.49%

It still hasn't breached half of the precincts, and the more liberal urban areas always tend to be the last ones counted due to volume. Unless I'm missing something.
    Hope is a terrible thing.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Who are the 5 percent that voted for the Republican candidate?

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maine, you suck.
    Yes 74802 50.51%
    No 73292 49.49%

You're not. Portland is mostly in, but Bangor, Augusta, Lewiston/Auburn, Brunswick, Westbrook, (etc etc) still haven't reported much at all.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Maine, you suck.
    Yes 74802 50.51%
    No 73292 49.49%

Hope is a terrible thing.

And cynicism is a poor substitute for wisdom.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    Maine, you suck.
    Yes 74802 50.51%
    No 73292 49.49%

You're not. Portland is mostly in, but Bangor, Augusta, Lewiston/Auburn, Brunswick, Westbrook, (etc etc) still haven't reported much at all.

Open Left, which I usually think is crazy, has someone at the No headquarters being useful, they're optimistic with what they're seeing.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Media: Conservative Dem and Establishment Dem lose state races in an odd numbered year, therefore Left-center non-Establishment Dem President's agenda is doomed and must become more establishment and conservative

/facepalm

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png