As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Miniphalla] Empty world - Ship Leaves - Planet not a top holiday destination

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would wish that there wasn't a bandwagon but I knew about 5 seconds before I made my reveal that it would happen.
    I'd defend you more if.... you know, I thought your reveal strategy had any merit to it...

I don't think I've voted though? Micro for daring to suggest having someone in second place!

What happens in the event of a tie?

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It seems to be starting to roll nicely. My successor will reap the fruits my sacrifice.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It seems to be starting to roll nicely. My successor will reap the fruits my sacrifice.
    But there's no way you can trust anyone to be a Brigand!

Le sigh

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Faction games.

FACTION. GAMES.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Voting for micro

M.D. on
  • Options
    MicroMicro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And I was just about to pm you and ask to be an ally. Damn you kime.

Micro on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mwhahahaha

M.D. on
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If its a tie, i'd assume it would come down to whoever has the most remaining members?

Oh, and micro. It's a little suspicious that he's anti mass love. Cant we all just get along?!?
    <3

Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ah, but now no one will ever know which Kime I was talking to.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hippie wrote: »
    If its a tie, i'd assume it would come down to whoever has the most remaining members?

Oh, and micro. It's a little suspicious that he's anti mass love. Cant we all just get along?!?
    <3

No, I just don't believe in randomly allying with someone on Day 1 when I have NOTHING to go on. It's suicide. After results in a couple of hours time I will make my final decision. It's just the decision is irrevocable. It's madness.

Micro on
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm all for running samurai's ship of fools into the rocks.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Micro wrote: »
    Hippie wrote: »

<3

No, I just don't believe in randomly allying with someone on Day 1 when I have NOTHING to go on. It's suicide. After results in a couple of hours time I will make my final decision. It's just the decision is irrevocable. It's madness.

To be fair, if you don't ally day one and you die, then you stand a much greater chance of losing.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    We don't know if we can even win dead. I figure a Day 1 death is, pretty much, a loss anyway, even if the fates roll my way and I miraculously win a game 5 days later that I played little or no part in - it certainly won't feel like a win. So - I'd much rather fail playing a sensible game and not giving away my panties to the first gentleman caller that comes along rather than lie spread eagled on the bed and let 17 guys called Brad have their wicked way with me.

God I miss school.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    But that's where I believe you fail, micro. I don't like playing phalla by just sitting on the side lines cheering on the team. No, I believe in making the big plays to get the touchdown. I'm the Quarterback, not the mascot. And I wouldn't be a Tom Brady.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The American Football analogies don't work for me I'm afraid. A more appropriate example for me would be the spin bowler in cricket - he waits for the fast bowlers to tire themselves out lugging down quick ball after yorker after bouncer, waits for the game to be set up, and then comes on with a bit of skill and guile to start cutting in to the middle order.

Basically - I'd rather have information rather than shoot in the dark, and then use that information to call my big plays rather than call plays before knowing what sort of defence I'm up against.

Micro on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    But to get that info, someone else must make a play, if I get your analogy right. So in a way, if you are a Brigand, I've made that play.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, I was thinking more along the lines of: 'Let's see who's dead - ooh, what a shame, all of the Military are wiped out, PHEW, glad I didn't ally with one of them'

Actually:

If your ally dies, can you then re-ally with another player of your choice?

Micro on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I believe it was stated that it's a once-per-game, but I don't feel like finding the quote.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Once you throw your hat in with someone, that person keeps your hat

Even in death

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    See, what I'm doing to seeing who jumps in, see what they got to prove that they are who they say they are and then day 2, my team is working together while your team is one step behind and doing what I'm doing now, but on day 2. I could have waited until day 1 was over but then I would get the PMs that go like this:
    person A wrote:
    Hey, I killed kime, and it said Team A kill. I get in, right?
    Yeah, you and the other 3 who claimed that kill.

Then here we are again. So I've decide not to waste day 1 and just get the above over with so the PM's look like this:
    person A wrote:
    person A wrote:
    Hey, I killed kime like I said I would yesterday. I'm in right.
    Hmm, you did say that was your target and he did die from a Team A kill (which is us) so you are Team A.
    Yea! Now this is what I was thinking about tonight...

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    See, what I'm doing to seeing who jumps in, see what they got to prove that they are who they say they are and then day 2, my team is working together while your team is one step behind and doing what I'm doing now, but on day 2. I could have waited until day 1 was over but then I would get the PMs that go like this:
    person A wrote:
    Hey, I killed kime, and it said Team A kill. I get in, right?
    Yeah, you and the other 3 who claimed that kill.

Then here we are again. So I've decide not to waste day 1 and just get the above over with so the PM's look like this:
    person A wrote:
    person A wrote:
    Hey, I killed kime like I said I would yesterday. I'm in right.
    Hmm, you did say that was your target and he did die from a Team A kill (which is us) so you are Team A.
    Yea! Now this is what I was thinking about tonight...

But how does that go if you die tonight, as you expect?

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Change samurai to person B, my successor. Trust me, every move has been well placed for this game of chess. Some pieces need to contact me so we don't have the first PM tomorrow.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, this is certainly an interesting first day so far between Sam and Robo's shenanigans. I respect you both putting yourself out there, but I still don't believe contacting either of you is a good idea for anyone. Even if you think your working in the best interest of your newly formed network, you are really just making things more convoluted in a setting where we honestly have no idea what is going on (i.e. fluctuating victory conditions, true alliances, shaky faction system, unknown zone system, etc.).

Considering this rumor about a military group seeking to put us all down, it makes it suspicious that you are so willing to blindly step up and start coordinating. It sends a message that you may have a more organized goal in mind or a clearer picture than the rest of us who are just here for the shinies.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In light of what gumpy just said:

Trying to win through a treasure-hunting alliance is an awful idea unless you have a really good character. If your partner dies, the amount of treasure you can collect is effectively halved, thus putting you at a significant disadvantage against the other alliances.

Why not wait until the end of the game to form an alliance, then? Wouldn't that lessen the risk of ending up with a dead partner? Yes, it would, but by that point other will be part of pre-existing alliances and are more likely to kill you for your treasure than work with you.

Compare that to going for a faction victory. If someone in your faction dies, you still have a numbers advantage over the people who are working for a treasure win. Furthermore, the odds of being backstabbed are far reduced since a faction victory is only possible through cooperation. Backstabbing also doesn't expedite a faction victory, whereas a treasure victory will likely go to the person who backstabs the people with the most treasure.

kias: Convolution isn't a legitimate concern. Play things simple and the simplest route to victory, the one that ends with only three players on top, is going to prevail. The only reason you could want that is if you're confident you'll end up on top, and if you're that confident then we have a ton of reason to suspect you're a bigger danger to us than I am.

As for rumors of a military sub-faction, it's pretty moronic to grant credence to those when the person who started them hasn't said anything to legitimize his claims. He also contacted me offering to work with The Crew, so even if you do believe him you still must grant that nothing he said serves as an argument against joining me.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    One day I dream of voting for !Samurai without good reason.

It is a fools dream.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Kias wrote: »
    Well, this is certainly an interesting first day so far between Sam and Robo's shenanigans. I respect you both putting yourself out there, but I still don't believe contacting either of you is a good idea for anyone. Even if you think your working in the best interest of your newly formed network, you are really just making things more convoluted in a setting where we honestly have no idea what is going on (i.e. fluctuating victory conditions, true alliances, shaky faction system, unknown zone system, etc.).

Considering this rumor about a military group seeking to put us all down, it makes it suspicious that you are so willing to blindly step up and start coordinating. It sends a message that you may have a more organized goal in mind or a clearer picture than the rest of us who are just here for the shinies.

The shinies are a part of the plan. The lone digger will find it hard to collect said shinies if everyone on his side is stealing them. As a group, you have better chance of not losing said shinies and/or your head.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Change samurai to person B, my successor. Trust me, every move has been well placed for this game of chess. Some pieces need to contact me so we don't have the first PM tomorrow.

My question, then, is that how is person B confirmed? It's kind of the missing link.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Trying to win through a treasure-hunting alliance is an awful idea unless you have a really good character. If your partner dies, the amount of treasure you can collect is effectively halved, thus putting you at a significant disadvantage against the other alliances.

Why not wait until the end of the game to form an alliance, then? Wouldn't that lessen the risk of your partner dying early on? Yes, it would, but by that point other will be part of pre-existing alliances and are more likely to kill you for your treasure than work with you.

Compare that to going for a faction victory. If someone in your faction dies, you still have a numbers advantage over the people who are working for a treasure win. Furthermore, the odds of being backstabbed are far reduced since a faction victory is only possible through cooperation. Backstabbing also doesn't expedite a faction victory, whereas a treasure victory will likely go to the person who backstabs the people with the most treasure.

a) I don't need my ally to work with me.
    b) You assume that a faction win is even possible. If the factions are balanced then that means 20 kills in 6 days. Maybe only 15 kills in 6 days if you get a perfect alliance going. Still a lot, especially if you count out day 1 where your "network" is just forming.

I'm wondering if we find treasure first and then take actions/vote kill. If so, I envy the guys in the Twisted Common, as they get a shot at samurais loot. :winky:

Grobian on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    kime wrote: »

My question, then, is that how is person B confirmed? It's kind of the missing link.

That's been taken care of. I see your concern, and from the outside, it does look like a problem. But that has been addressed and taken care of.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    kime wrote: »

That's been taken care of. I see your concern, and from the outside, it does look like a problem. But that has been addressed and taken care of.

So you say. But you're asking for people on the outside to contact you. You can't say, "trust me, but I'm not going to tell you why."

It's all well and good that you can trust yourself, but you need to convince us. Silly.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Grobian wrote: »

Why not wait until the end of the game to form an alliance, then? Wouldn't that lessen the risk of your partner dying early on? Yes, it would, but by that point other will be part of pre-existing alliances and are more likely to kill you for your treasure than work with you.

a) I don't need my ally to work with me.
    b) You assume that a faction win is even possible. If the factions are balanced then that means 20 kills in 6 days. Maybe only 15 kills in 6 days if you get a perfect alliance going. Still a lot, especially if you count out day 1 where your "network" is just forming.

I'm wondering if we find treasure first and then take actions/vote kill. If so, I envy the guys in the Twisted Common, as they get a shot at samurais loot. :winky:

gumpy wouldn't make a faction win impossible.

20 to 15 kills-6 kills through votes (which the stronger faction will control)=14 to 9 kills before game's end. That's only 2 to 3 kills per day, which is easy once we've gotten organized. Furthermore, other dudes killing each other will help out a great deal.

Are the odds of winning 100%? No, but neither are the odds of winning any other way, which are far lower.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Grobian wrote: »

I'm joke broke, dude. Ya'll be picking pocket lint.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Samurai

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When does Samurai's bloody corpse get presented to the assembled mob?

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Anyone have a vote count?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Samurai= A lot.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    !micro

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    !micro

Why?

I'm pretty much the only person who has vaguely taken into account what you said earlier. Jeez, talk about gratitude.

Micro on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That was you?

Uh. That never happened, I had voted for !Samurai all along.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It seems that voting for samurai6966 is the trendy thing to do.

FunkyWaltDogg on