As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GPU Temperature: 110C. Approaching "melty penis" level.

DacDac Registered User regular
I only really started looking into temperature stuff because my computer started crashing after a few hours of Borderlands, and while I had always known that the black-screen crashes on games I intermittently had were a heat problem, I didn't quite realize how much of a problem it was until I installed Speedfan today.

My GPU idles at around 70-75C. Playing Borderlands it jumped to 110C. And that's before it starts doing its "fan clicking against something" audio cue that the card is really straining.

Now, I'm not an expert on computers, but 110C seems like it would be really fucking bad.

I currently run a 3.0ghz Core2 Duo processor, 2064 mb ram, with a 9800 GT 512mb graphics card. The system case is an older Cooler Master model. I only have one case fan - the one in back. This will probably need to be rectified, but I don't know where to go about putting another in. (The circular hole has this large cumbersome funnel attachment inside that would seem to preclude putting anything bulky on there. Do I scrap it?)

The system is almost always "on", though it idles with the hard disk and such turned off at night. I would assume that this is at least part of the issue: it never has a real "cooling time."

The card also hasn't been cleaned because jesus christ I've never had a card with a cover like that before and I have no idea which screws I am and (more importantly) am not supposed to remove.

It seems likely that by now I've already done damage to the card that I don't yet realize. In the interest of keeping it cool, do you guys have any suggestions for an extra cooling fan for the card? I've heard there are some that fit in PCI slots, and as I am pretty low-tech when it comes to hands-on computer stuff, something like that would appeal to me, but other ideas would be great.

Symptomwise I haven't really noticed a problem other than the card occasionally making the computer black-screen and require a reset when it gets REALLY HOT (precluded much in advance by loud clicking of the GPU fan against... something, I don't know what), but I'd like to do something about it before it gets worse.

Steam: catseye543
PSN: ShogunGunshow
Origin: ShogunGunshow
Dac on

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man that card should be 80-90 under load, it's runnin way hot. You try manually setting the fan speeds?

First thing to try is take the cover off the system and see if the card temps drop a lot. If they do you've got a case circulation problem.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    silasbearsilasbear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get some canned air and blow out the heatsink on the graphics card.

Get this fan bracket - http://www.quietpcusa.com/Zalman-Overhead-Fan-Bracket-Assembly-BR123-P339C8.aspx

and this fan - http://www.quietpcusa.com/Zalman-ZM-F2-PLUS-92mm-Quiet-Fan-P571C67.aspx

and have it pointing at the fan intake on the graphics card.

If your heatsink is damaged then - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118050

silasbear on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    silasbear wrote: »
    Get some canned air and blow out the heatsink on the graphics card.

This can help, but make sure you hold the fan in place before you blow air against it. You don't want to make your fan worse than it already is.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whew.

I was afraid of having to take the protective covering off, but it turns out it wasn't necessary. Some canned air all around dislodged some rather significant looking bits of dust. After that, computer booted up and GPU held steady at 60C for an hour. Decided to try out Badlands for an hour, and that held at 75C. Then another hour... Still 75C.

Just turned it off, and it's holding at 66C, slowly declining.

Looks like dust was the culprit, but I'll keep tabs on it.

Thanks for the assist.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Most GPU's will actually melt (as in the solder) around 120-130C AFAIK, so you weren't far off.

My GPU maxes out about 55-60C under load, even overclocked.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've overclocked my 8800GTs, so the main seems to idle at about 66 degrees centigrade and the second seems to idle at about 62 degrees centigrade. Probably about time to clean them as well.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    TheBanaTheBana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My CPU/GPU were pushing the late 90s recently until I dusted them off.

Now they get to about 75 under load. Still getting some case fans and an aftermarket GPU cooler to improve the situation some more.

Seems like I have to get out the compressed air every few weeks to keep on top of temps though.

TheBana on
    Monster Hunter Tri - TheBana/FZVK6U; Skype - TheBana84;
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheBana wrote: »
    My CPU/GPU were pushing the late 90s recently until I dusted them off.

Now they get to about 75 under load. Still getting some case fans and an aftermarket GPU cooler to improve the situation some more.

Seems like I have to get out the compressed air every few weeks to keep on top of temps though.

Might want to think about a case with dust filters on the intakes.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I use Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 as a pretty reliable way to see just how hot my GPUs get. They seem to cap at about 77 and 74 degrees centigrade respectively.

Hot, but not too hot, I'd say. They could probably benefit form me taking them out and giving them a good cleaning.

Synthesis on