As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LTTP: PlayStation Network and games

MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
I recently dusted off my PSP-2000 and updated the firmware, signing myself up for a PlayStation Network account because I wasn't sure what PSP games had come out in the year or so I didn't use the system. I've tried a few of the demos and they seem fun, but I'm wondering about some of the arcade downloads they have as well as the PS1 Classics section.

I've seen some of the PSP downloads tailored for the PSP Go, and I have to say I'm a bit puzzled as to the pricing. It looks like the PSP games are going for full retail when they're just digital downloads, and some of the other games are expensive for the handheld they're on (Tetris for $10? It's cheaper on the iPhone App Store, isn't it?)

So what have I missed since last year, PSP games-wise? The handheld seems to be coming along well, and I'd like to start buying games for it again. My Backloggery link in my signature is current so you can see what I already have, but I have to say, I don't have many games for the PSP.

I'd also like to know about storage options, as the 1 GB Pro Duo card I have in there doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. How high can you go, and how expensive can it get?

sig.gif
MHYoshimitzu on

• Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can go up to a 16 GB memory stick (newegg has them for $85), but you can also get 2 GB, 4 GB, and 8 GB sticks for less. I can't answer your other questions, though, because I haven't been paying much attention to the game library any more (I kind of lost interest in it a while back).

Norfair on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is a PlayStation Store thread here. Skip to the end and ask any questions you like about which games are good.

As for the pricing thing, yeah it's a little weird. Some games are above retail, but a bunch of the Greatest Hits games that would be selling at $19.99 in a store are either $14.99 or $15.99. It definitely should not be your sole method of buying games since there is a good chance that a retail copy might be cheaper (especially if you find it used), but being able to have a decent selection of games on a memory stick is also pretty cool.

Some tips:

- Don't buy anything from RockStar (their GTA and Midnight Club games make extensive use of UMD streaming, but the PSN versions have serious framerate issues for some reason, and they have been ignoring complaints).

- Daxter was originally released on UMD, and it ran at 222MHz. When Ready At Dawn released it on PSN, they upped the speed to 333MHz, so the framerate is now silky smooth. Supposedly it's such an improvement that it's worth dropping the $16 just to play it again.

- UMD and PSN versions of God of War have incompatible game saves.

Other than that, though, just check reviews and get some demos and ask the thread, and you'll be steered in the right direction.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Persona's the most recent gem. Beyond that, there's Prinny(hardcore platformer), DJ MAX Fever(or Black Square/Clazziquai if you want to import, which you should), and of course, FF Dissidia.

Also, Super Stardust Portable is $5 this week, and worth a look.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png