As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apartment vent [SOLVED]

DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
There is an air vent in the ceiling right inside the front door to my new apartment. It's blasting air through at a pretty good pace, and it's loud. I don't know if it's an AC vent or what, but it's not very cold. We have electric heaters, so it's not heat. I'm going to ask building management tomorrow, but does anyone know what it is besides maybe just ventilation, and how to reduce the airflow so it's quieter? The vanes are currently closed as far as they will go. Opening the vanes on the vent all the way increases air flow quite a bit and reduces the sound a little, but not much.

Doc on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Like how big of a vent? hardcover book sized, or bigger?

I suppose just a towel over the vent would help, at least in the short term. Is the cover rattling? Maybe tighten the screws.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    4"x6" maybe. It's not so loud I can't sleep or anything.

Doc on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    usually when they're loud is due to vibration, so it's probably loose somewhere. I'd still go ahead and complain about it to building management though.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I just taped a piece of cardstock to cover about 5/6 of the grill and it reduced the noise to being barely noticeable and it doesn't look all that bad. I'll just talk to my manager tomorrow.

Doc on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    does it have a noticeable intake? Is it an aircleaner/hepa filter?

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    does it have a noticeable intake? Is it an aircleaner/hepa filter?

Nope, no intake that I can see. I'm not sure what it does. It's a highrise apartment building, so maybe it's just to provide ventilation to the rooms?

Doc on
This discussion has been closed.