Options

"I have to have a movement!" - toilet time

cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
(This should maybe be a post in Health/fitness?)

Ok, so, uh, I find that I am regular as clockwork. No problems with 'going' to the toilet at all. What I have an issue with is the 'timing' of it. Without going into too many details I go once in the morning before leaving for work, and then once at the end of the day when home from work.

Now, in the morning, I find that my body feels the need to do some paperwork at around 8:00/8:15, so I'll go, and then leave for work at 0830. Normally on the walk and arrival at work, I'll need to go again, and then i'm good to go until I get home from work.

No matter what I do in terms of changing my eating habits, I always seem to need to twice in quick succession in the morning and it makes for an uncomfortable time while commuting to work, and then a race into work to try and get to a washroom.

What can I do (if anything) to try and change my bodyclock so I go earlier in the mornings?! I thought about eating earlier the night before, but it doesn't seem to work out.

steam_sig.png
cmsamo on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    if you're needing to poop twice within like 30 mins of each other

that seems like a medical problem you should get looked at

do you have diarrhea?

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, nothing untoward down there at all. Regular and "fine" in appearance. It's just that my body doesn't seem to be able to do all of it's business at the first time of asking in the mornings. Any other time of day, it's fine, I need to go, I go. Just in the mornings, unless I spend like half an hour sitting there or whatever, then I have to go twice.

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Movement of your body is what gets poop flowin. Most likely you haven't moved much (haha) by the time you took your first dump, but you move a bunch getting ready and then commuting.

Maybe try going for a walk or jog first thing? That way your body can get it all out in one shot.

Omnicron9999 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Good point. Maybe getting up earlier and doing something will get things going. I gotta confess that I don't often get out of bed until the last possible second, and get ready in a rush to get out of the door. Getting up earlier and a bit of exercise might do the trick but i was actually more interested in getting my body out of it's timings because they seem so rigid. I suppose the two are linked. If i get up earlier, I'll have the urge earlier. Cheers.

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Definitely. There really is wisdom in the saying "shaking one out".

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Start each morning with a cup of black coffee.

It's seriously a miracle drug.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just moved. Eating food seems to have this affect.

Slider on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Coffee really helps to get things moving.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember my human biology teacher in highschool saying that two 'movements' in relatively close succession was more or less normal, and indicative of a healthy bowel. I dunno. Healthier than my old housemate who seemed to save it up for a week or so and then proceed to let his log of horror fester beneath the glassy surface of the toilet water for all to behold, to witness and commemorate, like the faces in the water in the marshes of the dead, except with more screaming and gnashing of teeth...

Seems like there's a bunch of options. Sounds like you might want to eat a little less at dinner, or eat an earlier dinner, or have a late breakfast (like, at your desk), or spend more time on the porcelain telephone in the morning.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cmsamo wrote: »
    Good point. Maybe getting up earlier and doing something will get things going. I gotta confess that I don't often get out of bed until the last possible second, and get ready in a rush to get out of the door. Getting up earlier and a bit of exercise might do the trick but i was actually more interested in getting my body out of it's timings because they seem so rigid. I suppose the two are linked. If i get up earlier, I'll have the urge earlier. Cheers.

I bet you could just do some light stretching in the morning and it would help things move along.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The first I do when I wake up is hit the bathroom. Then I walk around the apartment, make some tea, have my breakfast, and before getting on the bus, I get back on the toilet. It's the same for me. Two in the morning, but none at night.

Esh on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    underdonk wrote: »

Just don't grunt one out. If you have to push, you're done.

Being a man in your mid-twenties and having what appears to be your first period will teach you that lesson quickly.
    NSF the faint of heart:
    Forcing it can cause tiny fissures in your rectal tissue...

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait. You shit three times a day?

Do you drop little fucking deer pellets, or are you the size of Shamu?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Chanus wrote: »
    underdonk wrote: »

Just don't grunt one out. If you have to push, you're done.

Being a man in your mid-twenties and having what appears to be your first period will teach you that lesson quickly.
    NSF the faint of heart:
    Forcing it can cause tiny fissures in your rectal tissue...

...and you can strain some sort of inner ass muscle, like I did a few days ago. Hurt so bad I was scared to fart.

Slider on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I imagine eating more fiber would help, because it'd make it easier to evacuate the first go on the porcelain bronco.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Historically, people have placed incredible and unnecessary importance on the timing of "movements". Wiki Kelogg, if you want some head-shaking stories.

If you're "moving" regularly, you're probably ok.

Things are fine unless you see a big change - suddenly "moving" three or four times a day, or not "moving" for a week.

If you feel ok and have a schedule, you're probably fine.

GameHat on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Coffee makes me move like crazy!
    Do it!

Also when I have the occasional cig I move shortly after.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, probably one of the least desired updates of all time...

I've started to get up 30 mins earlier, so I can devote more quality time to the porcelain throne in the morning. I still get an urge to go later in the morning, but it doesn't co-incide with walking to/from the train station, or being sat on the train.

For the past few days I haven't had any timing issues. Consider this closed I guess....

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sometimes I move twice in a short time, no big deal really.
    Better than not going at all. If it's not soupy (yeah I said soupy) then who cares! The throne is a welcome break from the day IMO.

rfalias on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A few years ago when I suddenly acquired Type-1 diabetes but didn't realise, I had a problem with 'movements'. Basically they just stopped, for about... 10 days. Yeah. I was suffering from intense dehydration, and despite eating normally and drinking (and peeing) about 8 litres of water a day, my large intestine was squelching every last drop of moisture out of my waste.

When that day finally came... Oh my. Unflushable is the kindest word I can think of to describe it.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've found that when I move, its really messy (like takes me 10 minutes to wipe). Any ideas how I can change my diet around to make it more regular? Also, I'm a 3 times a day person as well.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That kind of depends on your current diet... which you did not elucidate. =)

Chanus on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I usually have a bowl of cereal with soy milk for breakfast, whole wheat bread sandwich for lunch (turkey, tuna, chicken, etc.) and something random for dinner like lean pockets or pizza (I'm a college student so my diet is kind of irregular, except that I know I get plenty of fiber from whole wheat sandwiches and my cereal). Any ideas? Could it be the soy milk?

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've heard of soy milk causing diarrhea, but I don't know for sure... do you drink a lot (as a college student)? That can cause it.

Chanus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Why soy milk, out of curiosity?

rfalias on