As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dress for success! or don't?

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, since reading a quote tree is apparently too hard for you. They were asking about how some guy, apparently you, were theorizing that upper level always dresses better than lower levels in a company. Communist Cow and I gave some counterexamples. Then you make a post and I link that the guy we were talking about is you and repeat my point. Then yay, derail!

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So you didn't HAVE a point. Thank you.

Incenjucar on
    edited November 2009
    Like I said, lack of reading comprehension.

Dracil on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I wear the same exact thing every day, but I'm a nurse. Navy scrubs. But I don't mind because it's comfortable and it lets patients differentiate me from other professional designations that also wear scrubs (i.e., doctors in light green, techs in tan, respiratory therapists in red, et al).

What I do hate is when some bitchy nurse moans and complains about the dress code. "So what am I supposed to do with my five pairs of kitten-themed scrubs? Just throw them the hell out?"
    There's no place for kittens in Star Fleet.

Andrew_Jay on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    I wear the same exact thing every day, but I'm a nurse. Navy scrubs. But I don't mind because it's comfortable and it lets patients differentiate me from other professional designations that also wear scrubs (i.e., doctors in light green, techs in tan, respiratory therapists in red, et al).

What I do hate is when some bitchy nurse moans and complains about the dress code. "So what am I supposed to do with my five pairs of kitten-themed scrubs? Just throw them the hell out?"

Must be a high turn over rate for resp. therapists.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Dracil wrote: »
    Like I said, lack of invisible clothes comprehension.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I like how you're trying to pretend we're a minority that doesn't matter. We're technically still a startup, but we've been around for a while and most PAers probably use our product.

Most PAers have also eaten at McDonald's.

I'll give you that. But most PAers probably like our product. And McDonald's isn't a startup either. Most people having used a MNC's product isn't really saying much.

So you've been around for a while and yet are still startup size, and that's supposed to help your point?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited November 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »
    I like how you're trying to pretend we're a minority that doesn't matter. We're technically still a startup, but we've been around for a while and most PAers probably use our product.

I'll give you that. But most PAers probably like our product. And McDonald's isn't a startup either. Most people having used a MNC's product isn't really saying much.

So you've been around for a while and yet are still startup size, and that's supposed to help your point?

Outside of that stereotypical startup culture, there's a couple specific reasons our company does not like Suits. That's aside from the fact that being big doesn't automatically mean successful (LOL bailouts). The fact that we're doing so well in this economy is enough IMO.

Dracil on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Corvus wrote: »
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »

Must be a high turn over rate for resp. therapists.

I don't even bother learning their names anymore . . . .

Atomika on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Yeah I don't necessarily think that forcing employees to dress well necessarily leads to a successful business or vice-versa, though my experiences with casual-dress companies does give some credence to the "code monkey ghetto" or "creative ghetto" theory. I prefer to work in companies in which people take some care in their appearance when they come to work, because I think it connotes a little more seriousness and professionalism. It's just my preference though.

I dress well when I go to work because I think it's respectful and appropriate. It doesn't really change the way I do my job, but it has absolutely changed the way a good number of my coworkers react to me.

What is the code monkey ghetto theory? That we all dress horribly for work?

It really does depend on the situation you are in. I could dress nicely and no one would care because I interact with other coworkers maybe 15 minutes a day the rest of the time I'm holed up in my cubicle. (I only have 2 meetings a week). I have been mocked for dressing nicely. Alternatively when I do go on business trips to give a presentation about our product I do dress up in a suit because that's appropriate. My computer certainly doesn't care that I wear jeans and tshirt to work nor do the people on aim/email.

Edit: So I would argue that it is appropriate to dress casually in many coding environments. Just as long as people shower and don't wear pajamas to work.

I forget who's post it was, but the theory was that casual dress was encouraged among the tech people and coders because it puts them in an easily identifiable different class than management.

Pretty sure it was one of the people arguing for the side of always dress nicely camp.

Nice thing about a casual dress code is you can dress up or dress down however you feel like that day. So someone wearing a geek t-shirt one day might be in a nice button down shirt and so on the next.

Certainly if you're a coder and you don't ever want to be anything more than Coder #376b for the rest of your life there's no reason to dress other than in what's comfortable and not causing a distraction at the work place.

There we go, here's the guy we're talking about. Except for the fact that the execs at work also dress in jeans sometimes and the coders sometimes wear nice clothes.

Your company is an outlier. At most companies not knowing how to dress yourself severely impacts your internal advancement. It's super cool that you guys don't like suits, but knowing fuck all else about your shop other than its a software startup doesn't build that strong a case.

Deebaser on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Outside of that stereotypical startup culture, there's a couple specific reasons our company does not like Suits. That's aside from the fact that being big doesn't automatically mean successful (LOL bailouts). The fact that we're doing so well in this economy is enough IMO.

At the end of the day you are judging people on their dress and that brings us to the central thesis of the thread that people make judgements on other people based on the way that they dress.

Deebaser on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the amount of professionalism you're expected to show for $10.50/hr is pretty absurd.

Which is why they have a lot of overturn.

It actually boggles my dome that my "personal banker" at Chase is wears a suit. They pay their front people complete shit and honestly I'd rather they just know about the products that the bank is advertising via email.

Deebaser on
    edited November 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Yeah, the amount of professionalism you're expected to show for $10.50/hr is pretty absurd.

It actually boggles my dome that my "personal banker" at Chase is wears a suit. They pay their front people complete shit and honestly I'd rather they just know about the products that the bank is advertising via email.

You would rather the person responsible for your finances look like they shop at the clearance rack from ROSS?

Atomika on
    edited November 2009
    Oh, certainly deebaser. I agree with both your points. I don't think I've really denied them either. Some people seem rather upset with the idea that the judging can go the other way though.

Dracil on
    edited November 2009

You would rather the person responsible for your finances look like they shop at the clearance rack from ROSS?

I don't know what ROSS is, but it sounds bad. Nah I was kind of off topic there. I'm just sick of over-dressed, underpaid, clueless retail bankers.

Chase in particular.

Deebaser on
    edited November 2009
    Oh, certainly deebaser. I agree with both your points. I don't think I've really denied them either. Some people seem rather upset with the idea that the judging can go the other way though.

Oh it can, but in the professional domain it rarely does. West Coast software people are an entirely unique subculture unto themselves. I just found out tonight that my brother in law/computer engineer skateboards to work. That plays well out there and for that industry. In small software shops it's one of the norms.

By and large though it cuts the other way. I still think it's silly to view a guy in an interview suit at an interview as 'desperate', but I do not understand your culture.

Deebaser on
    edited November 2009
    I don't know what ROSS is, but it sounds bad. Nah I was kind of off topic there. I'm just sick of over-dressed, underpaid, clueless retail bankers.

Chase in particular.

http://www.rossstores.com/

And I know about the bankers, man. I got one fired about a year ago for gross incompetence and lying.

Atomika on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Chase in particular.

Why would you go to Chase for your banking? They're large enough that they don't care about depositors in comparison to high net worth individuals and huge corporations, who may or may not be merging with other huge corporations, all while giving you a pretty shitty interest rate because you're a depositor. Check out some community banks. They tend to be as competitive if not better in terms of rate of return, and the money will be going back into your locale to boot. It's not like their FDIC insurance isn't just as good as the big boys. Plus they're more likely to actually know shit since, being a smaller place, they can't afford to have too many goof offs on staff.

moniker on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Chase in particular.

Yeah but still, retail banking it totally makes sense to have an upstanding dress code.

Money institution dressing like its people have money makes sense. It may be meaningless, they may be underpaid and know nothing, but it makes sense.

Khavall on
    edited November 2009
    Heh, out there... out there is out here. :P

I think the whole desperate comment is a little blown out of proportion though. It was one guy's opinion in the discussion. And in talks with coworkers I do know some of them don't think highly of some of The Suits we used to have. But I'm not kidding when I say people rarely show up in suits here so it's not like it's really an issue in the first place.

Dracil on
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »

Chase in particular.

Why would you go to Chase for your banking? They're large enough that they don't care about depositors in comparison to high net worth individuals and huge corporations, who may or may not be merging with other huge corporations, all while giving you a pretty shitty interest rate because you're a depositor. Check out some community banks. They tend to be as competitive if not better in terms of rate of return, and the money will be going back into your locale to boot. It's not like their FDIC insurance isn't just as good as the big boys. Plus they're more likely to actually know shit since, being a smaller place, they can't afford to have too many goof offs on staff.

I have my reasons for using Chase for some things.
    1. there's a branch 50 feet away from my office
    2. there's a branch 200 feet away from my apartment building
    3. they provide the ATMs for Duane Reade which is a ubiquitous pharmacy in NYC. Basically, if I need cash, I almost never have to walk more than 2 blocks.

Deebaser on
    edited November 2009

Chase in particular.

3. they provide the ATMs for Duane Reade which is a ubiquitous pharmacy in NYC. Basically, if I need cash, I almost never have to walk more than 2 blocks.

...why do you use bank branches? I don't think I've actually been inside of my bank's building since I opened my accounts there years ago.

Actually, scratch that. I went in to change my CD from a year to 9 months when it matured last time since interests rates sucked so much and I wanted to push it from Autumn to Spring anyway. So twice in, like, 5 years.

moniker on
    edited November 2009

Chase in particular.

...why do you use bank branches? I don't think I've actually been inside of my bank's building since I opened my accounts there years ago.

Actually, scratch that. I went in to change my CD from a year to 9 months when it matured last time since interests rates sucked so much and I wanted to push it from Autumn to Spring anyway. So twice in, like, 5 years.

24 hour ATMs, safe deposit.

Deebaser on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Off topic, but I bank with Chase because they bought my previous bank, Washington Mutual. I can confirm that the "low wage workers in suits" has been in full effect at every bank I've ever been in. It's silly.

Houn on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dressing for success also applies outside the work environment as well, especially when you're meeting someone for the first time.

I'm not talking about showing up in a suit and tie, I mean more along the lines of keeping yourself kept and cleaned up. Most people are going to respond far better to an individual who looks like they keep themselves in check and have an idea where they're going rather than the guy with the shaggy hair and wolf-howling-at-the-moon-shirt-that's-three-sizes-too-big-for-him.

My school keeps me insanely busy with class assignments, and it doesn't help that i'm stuck with the same sixteen people every day for every class who never get out much, so I gotta do my best to meet new people around the city wherever I go, and dressing the part helps out in a big way.

Most of my best buddies over here were people that I just started chatting with casually on the TTC or at a bookstore.

Godfather on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey

I was just considering buying the Three Wolf t-shirt for shits and giggles this morning

Robman on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited November 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    Hey

I was just considering buying the Three Wolf t-shirt for shits and giggles this morning

If anyone judges you for wearing it around town or to church they are bigots and snobs.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey

I am currently sitting in my office in jeans and an ironic comedy T-shirt.

It is also Sunday, and the only other person here is someone my age who thinks this shit is funny.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    Hey

I am currently sitting in my office in jeans and an ironic comedy T-shirt.

It is also Sunday, and the only other person here is someone my age who thinks this shit is funny.

Well stop disrespecting Will and go put on a dress shirt.

Quid on
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think these last four posts sum up the thread perfectly. There's no need to continue.

Bama on
    edited November 2009
    Hey

If anyone judges you for wearing it around town or to church they [strike]are bigots and snobs.[/strike] have good taste.

EDIT The church line seems particularly petty - church is a formal occasion where everyone dresses well to respect the house of god. I suppose you could wear the shirt and say I THINK RELIGION IS STUPID AND SO ARE YOU ALL while in reality you're just coming off as an insufferable ass. Would I wear the shirt to the engineering dive/bar/beer pit with my friends? Yes. Would I wear it to a church service? Of course not. If you say that your clothes shouldn't matter, you're simply willing that other people's perception of you not be shaded by your appearance. You're saying that how everyone else forms snap judgements of people is incorrect, and that you are the lone sage of how to size people up.

In this case, you are no Einstein, you aren't going to rewrite the books on social conduct. You're just going to come off as a tiresome person so full of their self-importance that they don't have to adopt the social conventions of their society because gosh darn it, that's for the sheeple.

Robman on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guys, guys.

This may come as a shocking surprise but....

well I'm not sure how to say this but...

It's...just...clothes.

Who cares if someone goes to their Church in jeans and t-shirt. I certainly don't care. Their friends certainly don't care. Their love ones certainly don't care.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited November 2009
    Guys, guys.

It's...just...clothes.

Who cares if someone goes to their Church in jeans and t-shirt. I certainly don't care. Their friends certainly don't care. Their love ones certainly don't care.

Just clothing.
    kkk.jpg

Just clothing.
    wedding-dress.jpg

Clothing is the opening paragraph when you meet someone. The first outfit says "I am a racist asshole who supports black people being dragged to death, and set crosses alight to intimidate black people into leaving my community, etc.". The second says "I am getting married, and have attached such importance to this event that I am spending a large amount of money on a one-time-use dress, etc.".

I would imagine that this is a by-product of largely computer-ized communication. A poster may be the most pleasant and articulate person on a particular message board, while posting naked. In an in-person forum, how one dresses and conducts one's self is of equal importance to the words spoken.

Robman on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

That totally explains the whole "Sunday Best" thing 100%.

Incenjucar on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Guys, guys.

It's...just...clothes.

Just clothing.
    kkk.jpg

Just clothing.
    wedding-dress.jpg

Clothing is the opening paragraph when you meet someone. The first outfit says "I am a racist asshole who supports black people being dragged to death, and set crosses alight to intimidate black people into leaving my community, etc.". The second says "I am getting married, and have attached such importance to this event that I am spending a large amount of money on a one-time-use dress, etc.".

I would imagine that this is a by-product of largely computer-ized communication. A poster may be the most pleasant and articulate person on a particular message board, while posting naked. In an in-person forum, how one dresses and conducts one's self is of equal importance to the words spoken.

Right, cause jeans and tshirt is code for klans outfit.

Face it, for a lot of people, Church is just a social event where they meet up with people and talk for a bit and go home. If they want to dress up, they dress up. If they dont, they dont. No need to climb up their ass and shout in their ears for being inconsiderate for not dress up to your standards.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited November 2009
    Guys, guys.

It's...just...clothes.

Just clothing.
    kkk.jpg

Just clothing.
    wedding-dress.jpg

Face it, for a lot of people, Church is just a social event where they meet up with people and talk for a bit and go home. If they want to dress up, they dress up. If they dont, they dont. No need to climb up their ass and shout in their ears for being inconsiderate for not dress up to your standards.

He's climbing up their asses? Robman, what church do you go to?

...and where did I put my ratty yardwork jeans. :winky:

moniker on
    edited November 2009
    Guys, guys.

It's...just...clothes.

Just clothing.
    kkk.jpg

Just clothing.
    wedding-dress.jpg

If you read my post and think I was saying that t-shirts and jeans = Klansman, you're an idiot.

Yes, there are formal churches where people wear their Sunday Best. There are also more informal churches that are more guided discussion groups then what we view as "church". Under-dressing for the formal setting says you don't care to meet the social standards of one group, refusing to ever participate in the discussions says you don't care to meet the social standards of another group.

I mean if you're trying to say that social standards shouldn't exist, well, this is crude but read this and ponder why you refuse to care how your actions affect others and why you can't empathize with other members of society enough to adopt their standards while dealing with them.

Robman on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yes, there are formal churches where people wear their Sunday Best. There are also more informal churches that are more guided discussion groups then what we view as "church".

so theres no middle ground between the two, aka a "church" where wearing your Sunday Best isn't require, but is a actual service and not a "guided discussion"?

edit: did you really just suggest that someone might have Asperger's because they do not conform to your idea of what is appropriate to wear to a church?

ronzo on
    edited November 2009
    ronzo wrote: »

Yes, there are formal churches where people wear their Sunday Best. There are also more informal churches that are more guided discussion groups then what we view as "church".

so theres no middle ground between the two, aka a "church" where wearing your Sunday Best isn't require, but is a actual service and not a "guided discussion"?

Sure, but now you're looking more to split hairs over what the expected decorum is in a given church rather then addressing the idea that there exists an implied dress code that is particular to the given societal group, and that not following that dress code implies disrespect.

Robman on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ronzo wrote: »

edit: did you really just suggest that someone might have Asperger's because they do not conform to your idea of what is appropriate to wear to a church?

Did you actually get that from his post? did you just not read it and post something stupid for the hell of it?

He said there are formal churches. There are also informal churches. Nowhere in that does that say that there aren't other types, but that there are those two. I know that "also" seems like it excludes something but actually it doesn't! It's adding to something, without taking away the possibility of a lack of other things! Amazing, I know.

Aaaaand he suggested that someone might have Asperger's if they can't conform to society standards because they can't relate to other members of society.

Khavall on