As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for some bookin' (of Zombies)

MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I remember reading in one of the L4D threads about a zombie book. It was in diary form and I read the first chapter online on the author's homepage. The main character was going to meet up with someone that owned an airplane in that small snippet I read (I think). Sadly my forum-fu gives my nothing and maybe there's a slim chance someone know what the hell I'm rambling about and can name the book.

Movitz on

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    World War Z?

The Zombie Survival guide?

Probably the first one if its in diary form, although its more lots of individual stories than one person's.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually I found it just now. It was Day By Day Armageddon, I recognized the front from a looong internet list of books.

Is it any good?

And thanks for mentioning World War Z. I'm definitely going to buy that one, but had completely forgotten it.

Movitz on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've read World War Z and Day By Day Armageddon. I definitely liked the latter better. WWZ was good, but it is told through interviews with people recounting events that happened. I much preferred the diary method, one because it was closer to the action, and two because I love in games where you're reading someone's diary or hearing message logs catching up on what happened.

The only downside to DbDA is that it's only the first part (and I don't think he's finished the next yet), so the ending is less than satisfying, at least for me. But still, I thought it was a great read (and it didn't hurt that it was set in my neck of the woods).

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Day by day armageddon is bad ass.

Strongly recommended reading.

SigmaCondition on
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Movitz wrote: »
    And thanks for mentioning World War Z. I'm definitely going to buy that one, but had completely forgotten it.

get the audio book instead. Mark Hamil, Henry Rollins, etc... mega all star cast (more star power than those 2, just can't remember their names, like John T who was Da Jesus in Big Lebowski, that fat old bald director guy who is Max Brooks Uncle, bear in mind that Max Brooks the author is the comedian legend Mel Brook's son so he was able to call in real hollywood talent)

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I liked it well enough.

World War Z was fun and interesting, but all these vastly different characters were mostly written in the same voice.

Doc on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually I found it just now. It was Day By Day Armageddon, I recognized the front from a looong internet list of books.

Is it any good?

No. It is the exact opposite of good. There's a ton of typos, no plot to speak of, no characterization of anyone, it ends on a cliffhanger (it's supposed to be the start of a series), and the author can't even keep his characters' names straight.

I am a whore for even the cheesiest of zombie stuff, but that book is just plain bad.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am a whore for even the cheesiest of zombie stuff, but that book is just plain bad.

so suggest other stuff.

illig on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember reading in one of the L4D threads about a zombie book. It was in diary form and I read the first chapter online on the author's homepage. The main character was going to meet up with someone that owned an airplane in that small snippet I read (I think). Sadly my forum-fu gives my nothing and maybe there's a slim chance someone know what the hell I'm rambling about and can name the book.

Monster Island? Maybe it's sequels, Monster Nation or Monster World. Good books.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The Book of All/More/Final Flesh are three anthologies that were pretty good. There was another short story collection called The Living Dead that was good, too. I'm not sure if I've read any good zombie full-length novels.

I was looking at this link, too. I haven't read most of them, though. I did read The Dead, but it wasn't very good, either.

If you're into comics, The Walking Dead has been really good.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Book of All/More/Final Flesh are three anthologies that were pretty good. There was another short story collection called The Living Dead that was good, too. I'm not sure if I've read any good zombie full-length novels.

I was looking at this link, too. I haven't read most of them, though. I did read The Dead, but it wasn't very good, either.

If you're into comics, The Walking Dead has been really good.

I came here to recommend this.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Is it any good?

No. It is the exact opposite of good. There's a ton of typos, no plot to speak of, no characterization of anyone, it ends on a cliffhanger (it's supposed to be the start of a series), and the author can't even keep his characters' names straight.

Even despite all of that, I was hooked all the way through. The plot of the book was "survive". Seemed straightforward enough.

Speaking of comics, I've been enjoying Crossed, which is kind of sort of about zombies.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It intentionally has typo's, forgotten names and so on so forth. Its supposed to be similar to a journal - hence the scribbled out words, fake taped photos and watermarks.

That aside, I thought it's an enjoyable - short - read and look forward to further installments.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    walkingdead.gif

bruin on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Lots of nice suggestions here, thanks guys.

Those walking dead comics looks interesting, I'll look into them. I mostly read while commuting to work though so comics are probably out of the question based on sheer size. If I can pick them up cheap somehwere I'll buy them though.

Movitz on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Looks pretty damn good. I'm sorely tempted.

I've read the zombie survival guide, which while good, wasn't very fun to read due to the lack of narrative.

egh damn you PA, I'm trying to saaave money.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on it, then. The reason I stuck with it all the way through was because I was willing to believe it was intentionally bad, but it kind of strains goodwill after a point. It just felt like nobody had any personality. I can't think of any traits anyone had. Generic army guy, bland neighbor, faceless mooks. Maybe the main character was just too good, he never suffered any setbacks or anything. Everything always worked perfectly.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    ThundyrkatzThundyrkatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I second Monster Island, Nation, Planet. David Wellington is pretty good, and those are a unique take on the zombie genre.. i.e, the zombies are characters. You can read them for free along with other books he has written here although if you like them, i would go buy some to support the guy. Also out there by Wellington is Plague Zone, which was also pretty good. I have not read any of his Vampire or Warewolf offerings though, not really my cup of tea.

Thundyrkatz on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been enjoying Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm re-reading Day By Day Armaggeddon right now and I enjoy it for the sense of authenticity about the details. Better than any of the other zombie literature I've read.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I second Monster Island, Nation, Planet. David Wellington is pretty good, and those are a unique take on the zombie genre.. i.e, the zombies are characters. You can read them for free along with other books he has written here although if you like them, i would go buy some to support the guy. Also out there by Wellington is Plague Zone, which was also pretty good. I have not read any of his Vampire or Warewolf offerings though, not really my cup of tea.

Thirded on Wellington's stuff.

I enjoyed the Zombie stuff alot, good read interesting take on it.

The vampire stories he did are decent, not as good as the zombie stuff.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    XOCentricXOCentric Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Be warned: If you start reading walking dead, you will end up buying them all.

XOCentric on
    steam: xo_centric uplay: xocentric
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    XOCentric wrote: »
    Be warned: If you start reading walking dead, you will end up buying them all.

No problem. They were expensive as fuck here :(

Movitz on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Monster Island? Maybe it's sequels, Monster Nation or Monster World. Good books.

I know this isn't what you had remembered, but they're still pretty solid reads, and available for free on the author's site. I've only read Monster Island, but I liked it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png