As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HP Can Burn In Hell

sushiboysushiboy Registered User regular
I have had it with HP!

Ok, here is the short version of the first story. Had an HP computer I was working on the other day. HD went bad, so I replaced it. Cant get the key that is on the official Microsoft Windows sticker on the side of the computer to work. I call MS. They tell me that the key is not a valid one and to call HP. I call HP and they also tell me that it is not a valid key for any install. Not a valid key for the Windows disc I was using, just plain not a valid key. WTF? Then what is it doing on the side of the computer? It is definitely an official key sticker. The CS Rep then goes on to tell me that all HP towers are sent to a 3rd party who then puts the key sticker on it and it is therefore their fault (right...), then accuses me of being a software pirate because I must be making up the key that is on the sticker (why would I call them if I was using a pirated copy of Windows?), and that I must go buy a Retail version of XP. I explain that I am not paying for XP twice (once when it came with the computer). He tells me that I should have just used the restore partition. Well I would love to but, duh, the HD broke and that partition no longer exists. I insist they give me a valid key since they are sending out computers with invalid keys on the side of them. He wont. I ask to speak to a supervisor. He says he will get one. Never puts me on hold. Just takes his headset off and waits for me to hang up. I know this because I could hear him typing, people talking in the background, etc., but he wont respond to me. 20 mins go by, and he got what he wished for (I hung up). Called in again and got more of the same.

Now Im working on an HP laptop. Moving from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7. Lappy has a 64 bit chip, yet HP put a 32 bit OS on it? WTF? Now an upgrade is impossible, even if I wanted to. Have to back everything up (and hope I get it all), wipe it, and start over. That is what I normally do anyway but, HP, why would you put a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system?

So I am more than a little turned off by HP lately. Yea, yea, I know, all the mass produced PCs suck. I used to be a field tech for Dell, and believe me, they just buy their parts from the lowest bidder, just like all the other big PC companies. Im just bitching at this point. Just needed to vent I guess. The moral of the story is that I will not be recommending HP to anyone for a while.

Wii - 5850 0852 0940 2934
AC:CF - 1032 4742 8889
PM me if you add any of my codes
sushiboy on

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude, HP has sucked for years. I was waving people off of HP a decade ago.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    sushiboy wrote: »
    Now Im working on an HP laptop. Moving from 32 bit Vista to 64 bit Win7. Lappy has a 64 bit chip, yet HP put a 32 bit OS on it? WTF? Now an upgrade is impossible, even if I wanted to. Have to back everything up (and hope I get it all), wipe it, and start over. That is what I normally do anyway but, HP, why would you put a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system?

Does the computer have 4GB or more or RAM?

The only real advantage of 64-bit Vista was being able to address more than 4GB of memory (including GPU). If it was a 2GB machine, there was honestly no reason not to stick to the 32-bit version...you'd get no real performance benefit, and you risk the odd driver/software compatibility issue (incredibly uncommon, but non-zero).

So yeah, most manufacturers were sticking to 32-bit Vista on machines that were running less than 4GB of RAM. That's not just an HP thing...hell, a lot of home builders were doing the same, and for the same reason (why risk even a potential headache for no gain).

But yeah, HP has and does suck. Sorry to hear about your experience there.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would call HP back, or if they have a chat online function, use that. Unfortunately your experience is not typical and yeah, it stinks.

This is the same as any vendor, anywhere. Dell, Sony, Apple, whoever. You will run into support people who just don't care.

I've had better luck with HP than I have with Dell, but every experience is different.

The 32 bit thing isn't surprising though. Even though Vista 64 was better supported than XP 64, most manufacturers stayed away from 64 unless you specifically asked for it. My sister-in-law's laptop from Dell even came with 4GB of RAM, and I asked if it would come with 64bit Vista (was told yes by support), and then it had 32bit on it. So I was lied to and now paid for a quantity of RAM she can't use. (though hopefully we can put 64 on it when she upgrades to 7)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    should have asked them if you could send a picture of it. use your phone or whatever you have available and send it it as proof

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're as lucky as I am, you can use an HP OEM XP media to reinstall your windows. The HP branded media looks for a key in the bios that allows you to register and actiave windows xp on it. I had an HP media center PC that i fubar'd. I found a copy of an xp media cd lying around and it worked great. It even lets me upgrade to vista. HP wanted 50 bucks to send me a new set of restore disks because I'd lost mine. HP can get bent.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.