As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uncharted 2: Electric Goddamn Boogaloo

• Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malechai wrote: »
    Relax people the dude is basicly the colbert of video games. I guess you could say it's bad satire but he goes into preaty much every game looking for whatever he can that is bad and harps on that for 5 or so minutes.

I realize what he is, and I usually really like his rants. They're usually pretty funny, even when I like the game he's ripping on. I don't know why, but his Uncharted ones (especially the 2nd one) come off as very different than usual.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the problem with his Uncharted rants is that Uncharted, 1 and 2, don't do a whole lot wrong. With Drake's Fortune, you could say that there were things it didn't do as well as you could have hoped, and with Among Thieves, it did. When Yahtzee reviews games, his problems with them are almost always of the "Yeah, I can see why some people would be really aggravated by that" variety, even if it's stuff that doesn't bother you personally. With this, apart from the cover thing (which I can totally see why some people and so on) ranges between attacking the games strong points ("The characters are unendearing! It sucks that they brought Elena back!") and being batshit insane ("It's a racist game starring a white supremacist!").

So it's not as funny because he has precious little to work with.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    azith28 wrote: »
    Heres some good news for my fellow Uncharted addicts.

since this game has pushed the PS3 to its limits, then basically Uncharted 3 has very little to learn. It just needs art, story, level design. They literally have to do nothing gameplay or code wise to produce yet another amazing game.

Thats what they always said about ps2 games. With final fantasy X, we pushed the ps2 to the limit! Developers say that alllllll the time, just you wait three years from now the stuff they will push out of the ps3 compared to when the ps3 came out :D

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    azith28 wrote: »
    Heres some good news for my fellow Uncharted addicts.

since this game has pushed the PS3 to its limits, then basically Uncharted 3 has very little to learn. It just needs art, story, level design. They literally have to do nothing gameplay or code wise to produce yet another amazing game.

They rephrased that in an interview. They meant that they were using every SPU in the system, not that it was efficiently using all of the systems power. They managed to move a lot of things in the original engine to the SPUs to let the main CPU do a lot more, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.
    McCly wrote: »
    I teared up during the second-to-last scene. "Unendearing" my ass.

Man, from
    where Elena gets pasted by the grenade to where she walks out in the town, I was worried they were going to write her out and leave Chloe as the female lead. And nearly in tears.

Yahtzee is a dick, and that's his thing. Just ignore it.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    He says right at the end why he doesn't like it.

"I just hate all smugness that isn't my own"

That said I actually like yahtzee's "reviews", I often don't agree with his horrible taste in games, but they are still amusing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    lol. The better a game is the more yahtzee tries to find something to criticize, which is as it should be if you ask me.

He liked tf2, but didnt like the lack of variety in levels (at the time)
    He liked mario galazy, but it didnt make sense to him and apparantly videogames need to make sense to him..
    He liked uncharted 2, i am sure of it.

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can we just talk about the game? Yahtzee discussions never end well.

Anyways, as far as the Ending thing,
    I was pretty much going "She's going to live, she's going to live" until the next scene panned into the tomb, positioned right where she'd been laying (in the screen at least). To which I went, "Oh, Shit."
    I may have said "Eeeee~!" when they showed her again.
    I totally went "Eeeee~! when they showed her again.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    you have to appreciate all the stuff in the game, especially the parts where the environment would move and you are on top of it.

How the hell does naughty dog plan to outdo themselves with the next one?

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Theyre doing a good job so far, theyre basically Indiana Jones films, i even saw a 'wipe' effect in there. Real question is how they'll outdo the train.

The only problem I have with them so far is they ended in a similar fashion and its one hell of a roundabout method of getting to something.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Didn't they already say they had some creative brainstorming or talks or something and someone on the team already came up with something that would trump the train? I remember them saying that.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    you have to appreciate all the stuff in the game, especially the parts where the environment would move and you are on top of it.

By having a good end boss fight.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shootout while rappelling a mountain side.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

As Boss fights go, Uncharted 2's is FAR FAR FAR from the worst. It's decent, just not super excellent like the rest of the game. I still liked it more than the Uncharted 1's end boss.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »

As Boss fights go, Uncharted 2's is FAR FAR FAR from the worst. It's decent, just not super excellent like the rest of the game. I still liked it more than the Uncharted 1's end boss.

I liked the boss fight in UC1 more, honestly. Even though it was just 'run up and activate QTE', I thought it ended pretty well for the sort of game style they were going for. Have a fist fight between the hero and villain. UC2's wasn't bad, no, but it just felt like a game boss fight, instead of the cinematic experience the rest of the game delivered.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Right, a shootout followed by you punching out the main villain and then killing him with quick thinking is great, and very cinematic. This one's just you running around shooting MacGuffins until the boss falls over.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not going to lie. I used to think little of the PS3, but recently it has had a ton of games that make me jealous I don't have one, and this game is one of them. What's the multiplayer like?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    anoffday wrote: »
    I'm not going to lie. I used to think little of the PS3, but recently it has had a ton of games that make me jealous I don't have one, and this game is one of them. What's the multiplayer like?

Basicly it plays just like the single player cept the melee system is a little simplified. They've got a TDM with standard and special weapon load outs, and last man standing. Objective modes include plunder(CTF netrual flag.), king of the hill, turf war, and chain reaction. 3 Coop modes one that is basicly sections of the single player tweaked for 3 man runs, and gold rush which is basicly plunder vs a never ending tide of bots and survival which is basicly plunder with out the idol.

All in all love the multi but man some of the pugs I get for co-op get me so frustrated I have to start insulting them over my headset.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't they already say they had some creative brainstorming or talks or something and someone on the team already came up with something that would trump the train? I remember them saying that.

Airplane.

Or train on an airplane.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »

Airplane.

Or train on an airplane.

I figure it'll be something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA

Houn on
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God, Naughty Dog is so good at putting you on edge.

I'm a little behind, as I can only play with my S.O. is able to watch, but jeez, at the monastery
    When you're pretty early on and you hear a growl and see a shadow on the rooftop, you just know the hammer is about to fall but you've got no idea when.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm still working my way slowly through UC1, going through the fortress now. What guns should I be keeping? Right now my main arsenal is the pistol and AK. They keep throwing Uzis and Shotguns my way, but I keep ignoring them because they aren't what I have. I use the pistol for more deliberate shots and the AK for spray tactics and occasional single shots. The shotgun just doesn't work with what I want to do from a range. They did just give me a grenade launcher though, to cheese a gunner to death with.

Also, I got a magnum or something in the "buka pintu!" room. Not sure if I wanna keep it.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm still working my way slowly through UC1, going through the fortress now. What guns should I be keeping? Right now my main arsenal is the pistol and AK. They keep throwing Uzis and Shotguns my way, but I keep ignoring them because they aren't what I have. I use the pistol for more deliberate shots and the AK for spray tactics and occasional single shots. The shotgun just doesn't work with what I want to do from a range. They did just give me a grenade launcher though, to cheese a gunner to death with.

Also, I got a magnum or something in the "buka pintu!" room. Not sure if I wanna keep it.

I don't think it's as much of a "What guns are the best choices" (outside of comparing a gun to its upgrade, Moss to a SAS, for instance) so much as it's what weapons you're comfortable with. Strictly speaking, ammo wise, you'll always want a pistol and an assault, because that's pretty much what you're always faced with. But for ease of use, power, and a badass feeling, you'll want to at least give the shotgun a try with a pistol. Score headshots while you can with the pistol and bust out the shotgun to mop up the last few or to blow away the guys that advance on you too quickly. Run-and-Gun/Blindfire are your friends, after all.

The magnum is a quick-drop weapon and usually given in places where you'll be fighting right then. So what I'd do is pick that up, pick off however many people I could with the meager amount of shots given and switch back to the pistol afterwards.

I never really cared for the Uzi in either game, so not much of an opinion there.

But if you're trying to keep at a far range as much as possible, then a pistol and assault rifle combo is pretty much the sweet spot.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ak is in my opinion the weakest gun in the game; i generally only use it as back-up for when i can't find shotty ammo. that said, i did use it quite a lot on my most recent crushing run. i found it can work really well with run-and-gun and blindfire tactics.

it's not nearly as weak as people make it out to be, though, and rips off a clean headshot as good as anything else so i say hang on to it. you'll know when it's time to move on

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I've been using bottleneck tactics and trying to keep distance from the enemies. Retreating, and all that.

I did hip shoot with the shotgun at one part. It was badass, but I don't know...I like having a few shots with which to miss. Shotgun just seems like a haymaker that isn't sure to connect.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    I think the problem with his Uncharted rants is that Uncharted, 1 and 2, don't do a whole lot wrong. With Drake's Fortune, you could say that there were things it didn't do as well as you could have hoped, and with Among Thieves, it did. When Yahtzee reviews games, his problems with them are almost always of the "Yeah, I can see why some people would be really aggravated by that" variety, even if it's stuff that doesn't bother you personally. With this, apart from the cover thing (which I can totally see why some people and so on) ranges between attacking the games strong points ("The characters are unendearing! It sucks that they brought Elena back!") and being batshit insane ("It's a racist game starring a white supremacist!").

So it's not as funny because he has precious little to work with.

Yahtzee is pretty played out by this point. Listening to him complain about UC2 isn't even funny because if naughty dog made the game to satisfy his complaints, it would be a terrible game. He's shooting himself in the foot the entire time just for the sake of maintaining his image.

Urian on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What Yahtzee does is find the bad in games. There are hundreds of reviews saying this is game of the year. He has always gone against the grain (exception being his Orange Box review/Portal).

That being said, this is the weakest of his reviews. I barely laughed and he didn't really even try with the jokes.

I just felt as if he were reading off YouTube comments to me really quickly.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    His UC1 review is the same way, but I don't know why he'd be contrarian just to go against the grain and keep up his "image". He's done plenty of reviews praising a game while still shaming it for its faults. Unless he actually didn't care for UC2.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Airplane.

Or train on an airplane.

I figure it'll be something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpoki4wBwtA

Man, a setpiece that spanned that much space like that would be fucking amazing.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I'm taking a break in Uncharted 2 multi to get through some other games, namely I picked up Prince of Persia from Goozex and I also snagged Dragon Age.

Hearing Nate's voice in PoP AND then hearing Harry Flynn and Chloe go back and forth at each other in Dragon Age has me feeling that I'm just playing weird new versions of Uncharted 2. Like some weird dream.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My friend who never got through Uncharted 1 when I loaned it to him played through Uc2 on Very Easy when his brother in law loaned him it. I got to see him play yesterday, and it was hilarious. It's really amazing to see how poorly someone who isn't used to gaming in general can play. He honestly didn't get the cover system. He kept getting shot to death because he thought he was behind cover, but he was popped out shooting. He sprayed pretty much everything even close to a person. He can barely find where people are shooting him from, even with the on screen clues. And to make matters waaaaaay worse he really can't run around and move the camera at all. It was so hard to watch him play because the camera would be stuck facing something really weird and not moving around at all.

But he got to finish it, so I guess Very Easy helped at least one person appreciate Uc2.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Finally got around to beating it.

The end scene almost made up for the shittiness of the final boss.
    So glad they're not going the James Bond route with Drake. Him and Elena have awesome chemistry. I'm also predicting hilarity in Uncharted 3, or at least a couple good lines, about Sully/Chloe.

"You're a dirty old man, Sullivan!"

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So finally got it back so I can continue on.

Hard is pretty easy so far though, actually.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Dang it, conquistadors! Pick up after yourselves and don't leave your fucking oil barrels lying around for me to trip and explode myself over!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like how you can stealth slam the first bullet sponge shotgun sub-boss in the hotel.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ok i figured out how naughty dog can outdo themselves next game!!!!!!!

They can make better/cooler weapons, you know differentiate one weapon from another. Not just aving three types of machine guns that feel the same (but awsome!) Some variety in weappons, kinda like resistance or ratchet and clank can make games hella fun. Also better boss fights for sure, and a more refined stealth element (less retarded enemies) and better melee system :D

deadlydorito on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm hopping on for some multi at 11 if anyone is around!

adytum on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game makes me want to get a PS3. But I'm a Nintendo fanboy. But we have a new projection setup and sound system! But I'm focusing on studying as a college senior. But... trophies! Multiplayer! Ahh!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wait a few weeks. Bundles, man.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    ok i figured out how naughty dog can outdo themselves next game!!!!!!!

They can make better/cooler weapons, you know differentiate one weapon from another. Not just aving three types of machine guns that feel the same (but awsome!) Some variety in weappons, kinda like resistance or ratchet and clank can make games hella fun. Also better boss fights for sure, and a more refined stealth element (less retarded enemies) and better melee system :D

We must have played different games. The machine guns felt different to me, as far as 3 similar guns can. The GLAL(?) thing was weak as shit but fired in accurate 3 shot bursts, the AK was a general aim and spray gun and the M16 was more accurate and powerful.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wait a few weeks. Bundles, man.

Walmart has PS3, Arkham Asylum, Dark Knight BD, and (something else) for 299.

I kind of wish I waited to get mine, but oh well...

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg