As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout 3] Wubba harrrrglb? JAMBAAGLR

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It wasn't one or the other that got me. It was both of them. In that order. And nothing else.

I don't know about you, but I liked throwing rocks at children's groins before paying a prostitute for dirty sex in Fallout 2. If that disturbs you, that's YOUR problem.

Shooting people in the dick was the best part of Fallout 1 and 2.

So fun having a high Perception, High Small Guns, and a Sniper rifle.

Dickshots galore.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    It wasn't one or the other that got me. It was both of them. In that order. And nothing else.

I don't know about you, but I liked throwing rocks at children's groins before paying a prostitute for dirty sex in Fallout 2. If that disturbs you, that's YOUR problem.

Shooting people in the dick was the best part of Fallout 1 and 2.

So fun having a high Perception, High Small Guns, and a Sniper rifle.

Dickshots galore.
    She takes it like a man - that is to say, it hurts.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A guy I know did a run of nothing but sledgehammering people in the dick. Dedicated.

L|ama on
  • Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, I heard about this neat trick in F1 or F2, something about how the BB Gun was the ender of all life if one targeted the eyes. Any truth to the matter?

I can't believe that Bethesda removed the more specific targeting areas of the previous games. It sounds amazing. If I could be tagging people in the crotch with my shocksword, you can bet your ass it'd be the only thing I do. I'd fire all my companions just to make sure the kill shot is always the crotch shot.

I know F: NV is bringing in the "Fore!", but that isn't universal, is it? Its still the generic limbs/torso/head system, huh? Ah well, someone'll mod in the extra kill zones.

Also, as far as I know, no word has been said about DLC for F: NV. Has anybody heard otherwise?

And I just started playing Mass Effect. I just can't get Fallout 3 out of my head. 8 hours into ME and haven't touched F3 since, but all I can think about is super mutants and rad scorpions.

Edit: They need a "cancel VATS" button, too. Nothing is more annoying than watching your 95% shot hit a fucking car and blow it up in your face. Or just go to waste on the slight edge of a fridge. To hell with that noise, I want my cancel button when I have 7 more shots, and I know they're all going to hit nothing.

Edit: Also, targeting projectiles. I always hated that I can have a dead bead on a grenade or missile thats meters, if not a a good 10 meters away (you know, when a raider sees you across a flat plain, and you just hop out of the way), and the chance is always 0% once its in motion. Nothing could possibly feel more badass than shooting down missile after missile just to waste the enemies' ammo, so you can punch 'em in the face.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Removing targeting specific areas with melee weapons was an atrocity

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

But in return we get 20 feet teleportations into people, quite the trade off right!
    wrong :(

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still maintain that VATS gibs are only really funny the first couple times, unlike the text fatalities, which never got old

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    I still maintain that VATS gibs are only really funny the first couple times, unlike the text fatalities, which never got old

Bloody mess is good for the first 2 times
    Mysterious Stranger is FTW!

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I never got bored of VATS gibs. It still made me laugh to see limbs and heads spiraling away in slow motion even the 10,000th time it happened.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah i never got bored of decapitation in Fo3. but then I never got Bloody Mess either.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's best with the railway rifle. It's all slow-mo on the guy then his head just vanishes.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    So, I heard about this neat trick in F1 or F2, something about how the BB Gun was the ender of all life if one targeted the eyes. Any truth to the matter?

In truth, anything to the eyes in F1 and F2 was an ender of all life.

F1 and F2 are still the co-winners of the coveted "Elvenshae's Favorite Death Animations" award.

Yes, it's all low-res and scripted and it doesn't have any of those fancy ragdolls kids these days like to play with, but you literally cannot beat:

1. Shotgun chunks removal.
    2. Minigun red-mist-and-a-memory creation.
    3. SMG bullet dance.
    4. Plasma melt.

I laugh so much harder every time I see those than any death animation in F3 (even though, unlike others, I've never gotten tired of them).

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Scooter wrote: »
    It's best with the railway rifle. It's all slow-mo on the guy then his head just vanishes.

Talk about the Wild West. I love that gun. The train whistle sound is perfect when you're tearing around as a sheriff. Makes me want to shout "Last stop!" as their heads fly backwards, pinned against the environment.

Are there mods that do any of these things:

Add a cancel button
    Puts in those old animations from prior games (I saw the plasma one in the OP)
    Allows for more specific targeting

Because that would pretty much define a perfect VATS system.

Edit: I'm actually pretty tired of the generic gibs. It makes me head-shots feel less professional and cool. I love when I get a perfect hit that just takes the head clean off, or a laser beam that just drops them on the spot, no ashes.

Klash on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love any explosive death in FO3 because it's totally like a bad action movie.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Uh, you can cancel VATS with right-click.

Scooter on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I think he means cancel it once you've hit the "Execute" button.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've never used mysterious stranger in any fallout game.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I only used Mysterious Stranger on my first play through. Quite useless, really. He shows up plenty, but always for the last shot, a shot you could've taken yourself and saved the spot for a better perk.

Extremely cool first impression, though.
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yup. Its the dumbest thing I can imagine, not having a cancel button. Mostly because VATS turns a 95% into lead primer for the cars.

Klash on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yea, the Stranger just slows me down once I get to the point where I can walk into a room and headshot 5 Raiders before they've even got out of their seats.

Scooter on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mysterious stranger saved my ass a couple of times, but not really worth it. Way more useful than it was in previous games, though.

L|ama on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dox the PI wrote: »

But in return we get 20 feet teleportations into people, quite the trade off right!
    wrong :(

The awesome part is that you can jump off a bridge and activate vats just before hitting the ground and that teleport will keep you from dying.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Mysterious Stranger was fucking useless my last playthrough. He's show up maybe, maybe once every 20-30 enemies, and he's usually only show up after I'd blown an enemy's head off, extending the animation out another 5-10 seconds while he just poured round after round into the corpse. Fucking worthless perk.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Yup. Its the dumbest thing I can imagine, not having a cancel button. Mostly because VATS turns a 95% into lead primer for the cars.

Yeah, that's one of my few complaints about the game. You have what looks like a nice clear shot on a supermutant, queue up 5 attacks, and let er rip, only to nail some railing or column 5 times.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just started Fallout 2 again, with an unarmed built character. Nothing more satisfying than kicking giant ants five feet away, punching a big bloody hole in the Rat God, and beating a robot to death...with my bare hands. *inhales* Yup, life is good.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know people were talking about the text descriptions, but the funniest thing I encountered in killing a guy was while watching my brother play the game. He punches a guy in the eyes and we watch that one-arm-missing-and-a-chunk-of-torso-blown-out animation and my brother exclaims, "Oh fuck! I missed!"

And hitting people with sledge hammers in fallout 2 and watching them slide more spaces than you can run in two turns.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know people were talking about the text descriptions, but the funniest thing I encountered in killing a guy was while watching my brother play the game. He punches a guy in the eyes and we watch that one-arm-missing-and-a-chunk-of-torso-blown-out animation and my brother exclaims, "Oh fuck! I missed!"

And hitting people with sledge hammers in fallout 2 and watching them slide more spaces than you can run in two turns.

*Eating your severed mutant toe* "You just ate your own fucking toe!!!"

*Killing an NPC named Kenny* "You killed Kenny...YOU BASTARD!"

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    mwoody wrote: »
    I have one problem, though. I'm addicted to a drug in game called Sativex. It makes the world all bright and the colors really beautiful. I love wandering around under its effects, or sometimes some of the other few drugs with "Euphoria" in the description, so much that I'm having trouble keeping them in stock!

Screenshots:
    screenshot1uz.jpg
    screenshot2v.jpg
    screenshot4fx.jpg

If F3 was that vivid normally, I'd be all types of giddy. Thats great. Once I finish my current play through I've gotta get some of these mods. I'm going to try things that make the world itself better, instead of changing actual mechanics. Bright colours, clear skies and green trees.

I know this is a rather old post, but is there any way to get the game to look like that without having to pop drugs every two minutes? It's kinda awesome looking.

The mod Fellout removes the green tint from the game and makes it look a little like that. Other than that, just turn up all the settings on your monitor, I guess.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kill Three Dog. Everybody. Kill Three Dog. Listen to Galaxy Radio News.

Its good times, I assure you.

Thats probably nothing knew, but I got a kick out of it. I finally finished my extermination of the Wasteland. Every town wiped (from the Republic to Girdershade), every stronghold wiped (from Outcast to Brotherhood), and stole every key I could from every corpse I could. I bet I could unlock the gates to Hell at this point. My Wasteland purge is complete, only Jericho, Fawkes (because killing him just doesn't happen), Dogmeat and the stupidly unkillable essential characters (seriously? Dr. Preston is essential? How?), remain to tell the horrible tales. Then again, Dogmeat and Jericho helped me perpetrate my reign of terror, through Auto Axes, in-bed kills and exploding pants.

Essential characters are starting to really piss me off. Kids, adults, don't care. There isn't a reason my massacres need to turn all awkward because someone's pants refuses to go off in a Nuka-Cola based fire.

Klash on
  • Options
    Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Mysterious Stranger was fucking useless my last playthrough. He's show up maybe, maybe once every 20-30 enemies, and he's usually only show up after I'd blown an enemy's head off, extending the animation out another 5-10 seconds while he just poured round after round into the corpse. Fucking worthless perk.

There were enough times where I took a potshot across a river trying to hit some mutants behind cover with a 1% chance of success, missed every shot, then he'd suddenly appear right behind them and rain down the justice needed to make it worth it.

Come to think of it, he really was pretty much the VATS cancel button- sure, you just wasted a clip on that cement corner, but at least he would pop in and give you the results you needed.

Also hearing his intro music play then watching the game freak out for 30 seconds while trying to jam him somewhere impossible- it's jankiness like that that makes Fallout Fallout.

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I went back and put a bullet in Three-dog after he started talking too much shit about me on the radio.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Thats probably nothing knew, but I got a kick out of it.

Could you spoiler what happens when you kill him? Don't have game running properly right now, and I'm curious.

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »

Thats probably nothing knew, but I got a kick out of it.

Could you spoiler what happens when you kill him? Don't have game running properly right now, and I'm curious.
    Margaret (?) takes over, she is the cleaner, she talks a HELL of a lot less and isn't annoying, she references "some asshole" shooting 3 dog a little iirc.

Best thing I did in game.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Exactly as above, except I couldn't believe it existed. Bethesda isn't the best at anticipating player actions, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was being lied to about shooting Three Dog. Well, Bottlecap-mining him.

One thing I learned while being a big meanie was that I love bottlecap mines. I looooooooooooooooooove them. They're so satisfying. KA-BLAM! PLING-PLING GOES THE CAPS! Oh, it gets me every time. I just wish I could Shady Sands Shuffle essential characters, not to kill them, but just so I could do it until I'm completely out of explosives, and just see them go up into the air endlessly.

Edit:
    Marget is actually a technician.

Klash on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I honestly like Three Dog, never get all the complaints.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I actually really liked Three Dog. What I didn't like was the endless loops and not even nearly enough songs. My current play through is 120 hours. I'm mostly done, but still have pockets to explore. 120 hours of the same crap about Grayditch and "Oh! Evergreen!" (even though I burnt that place to the ground), etc, etc. It was mindless looping, Bethesda just... I don't know what they were thinking, developing a massive experience like this, with a pittance on the radio. Some randomized elements to the broadcasts would've been nice, maybe announcements about things other than what the PC has been up to. They just kinda dropped the ball there.

Also, after I went psycho it was hilarious having him basically telling people to spit on me in the streets as an introduction, before the individual reports in which he'd always say "Give 101 a hug and be all loveydovey with him because he's fabulous!"

Klash on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm definitely planning to off three dog on my current evil playthough since I'm too lazy to dig my goody too shoes save files from the old pc. The game seems so much different when you walk out of the vault, head straight to megaton to talk to Tenpennys man and beeline to the tower for a fireworks display.

Also, I want to get a few mods that don't change up the game too much but just make it better. The extra music mod and maybe a couple of the visuals (fellout I think) will be used. Thoughts from folks who've tried them all will be quite helpful.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I honestly like Three Dog, never get all the complaints.
    It's because if you clandestinely steal a ton of ammo/weapons/items/tin cans throughout the course of your adventures, and thus your karma goes through the floor, then the next time you're listening to the radio, Three Dog interrupts an awesome Louis Armstrong classic to inform the Capital Wasteland that you're a rampaging evil Genghis Khan-wannabe who, oh yeah, just liberated Big Town and defused Megaton's bomb - goddamn, what a sadistic bastard I am.

Fuck Three Dog.

edit: Roland: Fellout adds incredibly dark nights, so I suggest adding one of these mods:
    Fallout Street Lights
    Night Vision
    Brighter nights restored for Fellout

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish I could figure out what's making Fallout 3 crash.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I wish I could figure out what's making Fallout 3 crash.

From my albeit limited experience, and reading tons of anecdotes online: everything.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Stop: 0x0000007E (OxC00000005, OxBD13F73B, 0xB2085BE0, 0xB20858DC)
    nv4_disp.dll - Address BD13F73B base at BD012000, Date Stamp: 4bb7e5d1.
    :?
    It blue screens my PC. Nothing else has had the ability to BSOD my pc.

Rizzi on