As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist

1356761

Posts

  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's allods. What game is yours from zombie?

    Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.
    So you got a look up, eh? :winky:

    Both games look pretty, I'm glad about that. Got kind of tired of the ugly 3D engines that were okay-ish 8 years ago. :?

    Aldo on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    nice new thread aldo

    you put two space games in the sports category though. :P

    Morkath on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Eh, I kind of expected it to be pretty bad.

    At least they gave us a whole day of 2x exp for the downtime.

    What server are you on, Zombie?

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Eh, I kind of expected it to be pretty bad.

    At least they gave us a whole day of 2x exp for the downtime.

    What server are you on, Zombie?

    My Balor (or whatever the new class is called) is on Doom Bog, level 13

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I came across what looked like a grindy mech MMO and was going to try it out, but Avira popped up with this during the install:

    Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Spy.Gen [trojan]' detected in file 'G:\Project of Planets\is-J462T.tmp.

    So I didn't follow through. If anyone else wants to, it's here: http://www.projectofplanets.com/

    citizen059 on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Eh, I kind of expected it to be pretty bad.

    At least they gave us a whole day of 2x exp for the downtime.

    What server are you on, Zombie?

    My Balor (or whatever the new class is called) is on Doom Bog, level 13

    Ah, I'm Derpherp on The Billows.

    Already 33 on my Balo.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I came across what looked like a grindy mech MMO and was going to try it out, but Avira popped up with this during the install:

    Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Spy.Gen [trojan]' detected in file 'G:\Project of Planets\is-J462T.tmp.

    So I didn't follow through. If anyone else wants to, it's here: http://www.projectofplanets.com/

    You should scan your system, I am not getting anything from it.

    I downloaded it from filefront.

    Morkath on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Eh, I kind of expected it to be pretty bad.

    At least they gave us a whole day of 2x exp for the downtime.

    What server are you on, Zombie?

    My Balor (or whatever the new class is called) is on Doom Bog, level 13

    Ah, I'm Derpherp on The Billows.

    Already 33 on my Balo.

    How do you level so fast? It has been 2 days and I've already seen a level 47 Alden running around. That's insane!

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    citizen059 wrote: »
    I came across what looked like a grindy mech MMO and was going to try it out, but Avira popped up with this during the install:

    Virus or unwanted program 'TR/Spy.Gen [trojan]' detected in file 'G:\Project of Planets\is-J462T.tmp.

    So I didn't follow through. If anyone else wants to, it's here: http://www.projectofplanets.com/

    You should scan your system, I am not getting anything from it.

    I downloaded it from filefront.

    Can't remember where I grabbed it from; it came up during the file extraction process.

    I'll try the filefront download, it's also possible that it was a false positive.

    citizen059 on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I made it through the install but Avira is still complaining about files when I launch. Anyway, I played through the basic tutorial and part of the first area; so far it looks like a standard F2P grindfest, only with mech armor and guns.

    Basic gameplay: Take the items you have into the field, and start shooting at the masses of enemy robots that are just standing around in groups waiting to be destroyed. Level up, loot, go back to base to pick up your upgraded equipment every few levels.

    The Good: Mechs and guns rather than elves and swords. Graphics, while not stunning, are passable. Music is suitable. Play from either 3rd or 1st person. The UI looks nice and fits the theme. Automatic navigation available, click an icon on the map and it'll run you there automatically. You have an optional "glide" skill that rockets you forward for a short burst of speed, but has a few seconds of cooldown afterward.

    The Bad: Grind appears heavy on the horizon. Quests so far have consisted of "Kill X of this, bring me Y of these". Gameworld is populated by enemies who stand in large clusters with no other purpose in life but to be destroyed by players. Quite a lot of Engrish. Enemies drop loot which can be awkward to pick up in 1st person. Movement in combat appears to have no effect on the AI's ability to hit you, so you might as well just stand in one spot and fire away. Saw a handful of players. Inventory management is a bit awkward.

    I'm not sure if it improves later on but so far I'm not really motivated to find out. Might play it for a bit longer, see if I can get past the beginning area and if there's an actual quest or two.

    Screenshots
    Oh man, snow AND battle? Two of my favorite things!
    start2009111500051153.jpg



    Damn those monsters...!
    start2009111500062254.jpg



    The first-person view. It's like I'm really there, amongst the groups of random enemies that don't attack me until I attack them!
    start2009111500344203.jpg

    Summary: I took a night off from playing Torchlight for this?

    citizen059 on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Avira has been giving a lot of false positives lately on my system at least.

    Buttcleft on
  • JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Not sure if this is applicable to the List, but Warhammer online lets you play levels 1-10 for free forever now.

    Jimbo on
    404 not found
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Alright, I made it through the install but Avira is still complaining about files when I launch. Anyway, I played through the basic tutorial and part of the first area; so far it looks like a standard F2P grindfest, only with mech armor and guns.

    Basic gameplay: Take the items you have into the field, and start shooting at the masses of enemy robots that are just standing around in groups waiting to be destroyed. Level up, loot, go back to base to pick up your upgraded equipment every few levels.

    The Good: Mechs and guns rather than elves and swords. Graphics, while not stunning, are passable. Music is suitable. Play from either 3rd or 1st person. The UI looks nice and fits the theme. Automatic navigation available, click an icon on the map and it'll run you there automatically. You have an optional "glide" skill that rockets you forward for a short burst of speed, but has a few seconds of cooldown afterward.

    The Bad: Grind appears heavy on the horizon. Quests so far have consisted of "Kill X of this, bring me Y of these". Gameworld is populated by enemies who stand in large clusters with no other purpose in life but to be destroyed by players. Quite a lot of Engrish. Enemies drop loot which can be awkward to pick up in 1st person. Movement in combat appears to have no effect on the AI's ability to hit you, so you might as well just stand in one spot and fire away. Saw a handful of players. Inventory management is a bit awkward.

    I'm not sure if it improves later on but so far I'm not really motivated to find out. Might play it for a bit longer, see if I can get past the beginning area and if there's an actual quest or two.

    Screenshots
    Oh man, snow AND battle? Two of my favorite things!
    start2009111500051153.jpg



    Damn those monsters...!
    start2009111500062254.jpg



    The first-person view. It's like I'm really there, amongst the groups of random enemies that don't attack me until I attack them!
    start2009111500344203.jpg

    Summary: I took a night off from playing Torchlight for this?

    This is pretty spot on, I made it to 16 as a stamina mech. And you are right about the grind factor. Aside from some of the low level quests being "Kill 300 of this enemy!", I hit the second zone, and after 2 kill 36 of an enemy quest, then then dolled out kill 72 of another enemy standing in the groups with the first one.

    The FPS mode on it is pretty neat, as it actually adds secondary effects onto your attack. The assault/stamina mech gets a shotgun like blast, so you can hit 4-5 guys at once.

    Overall though, just avoid it, way too grindy.

    Morkath on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moved those two misplaced space shooters to the right category. :oops:

    added:

    Project of Planets
    Grind MMO with mechs. Graphics look dated, gameplay is dated. If you wank to mechs this might hold your interest for a while, otherwise it is advisable to look for a better game.

    edited:

    Warhammer Online
    lev1-10 (tier 1) free to play
    PA thread
    RvR MMORPG, it has some interesting classes, takes place in the brutal warhammer universe and it has some decent PvPing going on. Don't play this if you're interested in PvE, this game is PvP-central.

    Thanks y'all.

    Aldo on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    WAR isn't bad PVE-wise, it's just nothing special (PQs are great, though). Since it's a pay-to-play game its lackluster PVE is still better than most F2P EQ/WoW clones'. That said, due to the 10 level limit you'll run out of content pretty fast if you don't enjoy PVP as well.

    Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    WAR isn't bad PVE-wise, it's just nothing special (PQs are great, though). Since it's a pay-to-play game its lackluster PVE is still better than most F2P EQ/WoW clones'. That said, due to the 10 level limit you'll run out of content pretty fast if you don't enjoy PVP as well.
    I don't really compare F2P to P2P, I think that's an unfair comparison in most cases.

    Aldo on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Eh, I kind of expected it to be pretty bad.

    At least they gave us a whole day of 2x exp for the downtime.

    What server are you on, Zombie?

    My Balor (or whatever the new class is called) is on Doom Bog, level 13

    Ah, I'm Derpherp on The Billows.

    Already 33 on my Balo.

    How do you level so fast? It has been 2 days and I've already seen a level 47 Alden running around. That's insane!

    Use your esper a whole lot and complete the red quests the dispatcher gives.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    WAR isn't bad PVE-wise, it's just nothing special (PQs are great, though). Since it's a pay-to-play game its lackluster PVE is still better than most F2P EQ/WoW clones'. That said, due to the 10 level limit you'll run out of content pretty fast if you don't enjoy PVP as well.
    I don't really compare F2P to P2P, I think that's an unfair comparison in most cases.
    Just saying, giving WAR a hard time for its PVE on the F2P thread is a bit unfair.

    Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Just saying, giving WAR a hard time for its PVE on the F2P thread is a bit unfair.
    Fair enough. Deleted the last line. I'll have to look over the other entries later.

    Aldo on
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Eh, I kind of expected it to be pretty bad.

    At least they gave us a whole day of 2x exp for the downtime.

    What server are you on, Zombie?

    My Balor (or whatever the new class is called) is on Doom Bog, level 13

    Ah, I'm Derpherp on The Billows.

    Already 33 on my Balo.

    How do you level so fast? It has been 2 days and I've already seen a level 47 Alden running around. That's insane!

    Use your esper a whole lot and complete the red quests the dispatcher gives.

    Leaving it running with your character meditating while you sleep and are at work/school also helps a lot for quick leveling. You get ahead of your quests, but if you have already leveled a couple characters to 20 or higher you won't miss much. (Unless this new group adds new lowbie quests.)

    Seg on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just load up on pots and leave my esper running pretty much all day. Doing the daily events also gives you a shitload of exp, but they can be a pain to do sometimes if you don't know how to do them.

    I'm 41 right now, will probably be somewhere around 43 tomorrow.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The daily buff/exp boost you can get in that first village is pretty nice for leveling quickly as well.

    Seg on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No, yeah, you should be using those every day also.

    The "free shop items inventory treasure chest that you use every 5 levels" has made everything pretty easy now, as far as using your esper to bot in the early levels. I've probably got somewhere around 10k worth of potions all in stacks of 999 due to it, not to mention the weapons/special hair and boots it provides.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    that's from Jade Dynasty (which is hideously unstable since the expansion). standing next to her, I reach the top of her feet.

    Eh, I kind of expected it to be pretty bad.

    At least they gave us a whole day of 2x exp for the downtime.

    What server are you on, Zombie?

    My Balor (or whatever the new class is called) is on Doom Bog, level 13

    Ah, I'm Derpherp on The Billows.

    Already 33 on my Balo.

    How do you level so fast? It has been 2 days and I've already seen a level 47 Alden running around. That's insane!

    Use your esper a whole lot and complete the red quests the dispatcher gives.

    Leaving it running with your character meditating while you sleep and are at work/school also helps a lot for quick leveling. You get ahead of your quests, but if you have already leveled a couple characters to 20 or higher you won't miss much. (Unless this new group adds new lowbie quests.)

    Well aware of meditation, but meditation is way too slow to be gaining 47 levels in 2 days. Anyway, I'm 27 right now.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, you really don't want to meditate unless you have no time to set up your esper or something.

    Plus there was 2x exp for 25 hours, so if they were grinding that whole time it's completely reasonable that they'd be that high. I've seen a level 80 Balo on my server; their friends and such can easily power level them if they've got the time and money.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Yeah, you really don't want to meditate unless you have no time to set up your esper or something.

    Plus there was 2x exp for 25 hours, so if they were grinding that whole time it's completely reasonable that they'd be that high. I've seen a level 80 Balo on my server; their friends and such can easily power level them if they've got the time and money.

    That makes sense. Unfortunately I didn't have any health/spirit pots so I couldn't take advantage of the double exp. :(

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Yeah, you really don't want to meditate unless you have no time to set up your esper or something.

    Plus there was 2x exp for 25 hours, so if they were grinding that whole time it's completely reasonable that they'd be that high. I've seen a level 80 Balo on my server; their friends and such can easily power level them if they've got the time and money.

    That makes sense. Unfortunately I didn't have any health/spirit pots so I couldn't take advantage of the double exp. :(

    Huh? Have you been opening the chests in your inventory every 5 levels? They give at least one stack of 999 healing potions each.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am downloading this Jade Dynasty, if it sucks i will just uninstall i guess.

    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am downloading this Jade Dynasty, if it sucks i will just uninstall i guess.

    It's really not that great if you are looking for something revolutionary, but it's one of the best grinders I've played.

    I'm pretty much just playing it right now because I'm waiting for Allods to hit open beta.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Yeah, you really don't want to meditate unless you have no time to set up your esper or something.

    Plus there was 2x exp for 25 hours, so if they were grinding that whole time it's completely reasonable that they'd be that high. I've seen a level 80 Balo on my server; their friends and such can easily power level them if they've got the time and money.

    That makes sense. Unfortunately I didn't have any health/spirit pots so I couldn't take advantage of the double exp. :(

    Huh? Have you been opening the chests in your inventory every 5 levels? They give at least one stack of 999 healing potions each.

    Well I was level 1, so...

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kajusta wrote: »
    I am downloading this Jade Dynasty, if it sucks i will just uninstall i guess.

    It's really not that great if you are looking for something revolutionary, but it's one of the best grinders I've played.

    I'm pretty much just playing it right now because I'm waiting for Allods to hit open beta.

    Do the people here play on any particular server?

    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a 26 Lupin on Wildlands PvP, and a level 30 Balo on Doom Bog.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a 26 Lupin on Wildlands PvP, and a level 30 Balo on Doom Bog.

    What are the PVP servers like compared to normal PVE servers?

    Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a 26 Lupin on Wildlands PvP, and a level 30 Balo on Doom Bog.

    What are the PVP servers like compared to normal PVE servers?

    Honestly, I have no clue.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i think allods is going to require its own thread once it goes live, seems like it'll blow a lot of other gamees out of the water.

    Aldo on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, pretty much.

    Like I said before, it's about as polished as any pay to play game out there, except it's free.

    Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    added:

    Esteria Mythos
    A 2D MMO with your standard manga artwork. The game has a strong focus on crafting and the player community. The rest of the game seems to be hopelessly bland, unfortunately.

    another game from the game&game program. To be honest it doesn't even seem that bad. It's a decent enough site and there wasn't too much Engrish.

    Aldo on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I pulled out the character on ROSE Online I made ages ago, joined a clan, and had some fun:

    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w186/herebepixels/screenshots/screen009.jpg (NSF56K)

    And now I'm only 2 levels from being able to ride a cart around. :D

    MKR on
This discussion has been closed.