As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist

• Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Officer Loomis of the LED, ready to get two-shot and maybe taze some mans. So I have to rank up before I can arrest people? Is there a necessary level of PP someone has to have before I can arrest em?

Rank 1 (10k XP) to arrest, 5k PP is AoS, watch faction chat for any messages about factions that are Arrest on Sight. Witnessing the crime means you can arrest on sight, like a shooting or murder.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I tried out cloud 9 yesterday. nice level pacing up to 15 when i stopped. if you collect cards to fill out the card book it won't feel like grinding and you'll feel like there's quests perfect for your level. I haven't gotten the 2nd class so i haven't gotten sick of the double leveling in the game someone mentioned about Holic.

fun for a bit, I'll probably quit in a day or two unless i try another class, then add a day or two per new character.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm rolling with GoM. Space hippies go!

vhzod on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    vhzod wrote: »
    I'm rolling with GoM. Space hippies go!

Gimme your name and I promise to beat you less before arresting you.

BlueDestiny on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    DOMO seems pretty decent, been messing around with different classes and races and whatnot today.

I've settled down with a man-tiger/dragon martial artist guy and it seems to be working out pretty well.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Apparently Perfect World came out with a new expansion yesterday or something.

Two new classes with a new race, new areas, public quests and other shit. All in all it looks pretty good, so I'm downloading it again right now.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Face of Mankind went well... I created a mercenary, chose Necars Field and walked around for a bit. I didn't seem to have any weapons or anything so I went to the World Market terminal, while browsing for a weapon someone ran up and shot me until I died. This is a fantastic way to start a play session, I'm glad there is clear direction for new players.

I'm watching the tutorial video now hoping it will give some direction.

*edit*
    I went to New York City assuming that I might be able to at least buy my weapons and armor aaaand I got shot at a market terminal again.

Maybe I need to join one of the manufacturing factions.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I come up with a brilliant idea- Chronicles of Spellborn with a gamepad. The combat system is perfect for it.

And then I discover that, since it's gone F2P, they use GameGuard. And GameGuard blocks most input conversion software, including Xpadder. Fffffffffffffff. It's rendered impotent in Win7, but I'm still on ye olde XPs here. :?

Glal on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Face of Mankind went well... I created a mercenary, chose Necars Field and walked around for a bit. I didn't seem to have any weapons or anything so I went to the World Market terminal, while browsing for a weapon someone ran up and shot me until I died. This is a fantastic way to start a play session, I'm glad there is clear direction for new players.

*edit*
    I went to New York City assuming that I might be able to at least buy my weapons and armor aaaand I got shot at a market terminal again.

Mercs are kill on sight in NYC right now. I'm part of Freedom Defence and we just went to NYC in full battalion and killed a bunch of mercs there. It's definitely because of the faction you chose.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    And now the Face of Mankind servers are under maintenance that should take a few days....What i do now?:x

AdditionalPylons on
    edited December 2009
    JamesDM wrote: »

*edit*

Mercs are kill on sight in NYC right now. I'm part of Freedom Defence and we just went to NYC in full battalion and killed a bunch of mercs there. It's definitely because of the faction you chose.

I tried mercs for a bit but I really don't like having 2/3rds of my objectives "Make some shit/mine some shit". Also apparently most contracts are done in the forums and not through the official contract system in-game. Went back to LED and made 10k UC and rank 1 in a few hours.

BlueDestiny on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Another one bites the dust...
    MetaPlace wrote:
    Today we have unfortunate news to share with the Metaplace community. We will be closing down our service on January 1, 2010 at 11:59pm Pacific. The official announcement is here and copied below, and you can read a FAQ guide here. We will be having a goodbye celebration party on January 1st at 12:00noon Pacific Time.

Over the last several years, we here at Metaplace Inc. have been working very hard to create an open platform allowing anyone to come to a website and create a virtual world of their own.

Unfortunately, over the last few months it has become apparent that Metaplace as a consumer UGC service is not gaining enough traction to be a viable product, requiring a strategic shift for our company.

We’re sorry to announce today that Metaplace.com will be closing to the public at 11:59pm on January 1st, 2010.

This is a bittersweet moment for us. Metaplace Inc the company will be continuing on – in fact, we have big plans – but what you the users have known as Metaplace will be going away. We are also losing some friends and colleagues here as part of this strategic shift.

We’d rather dwell on the good than the sad. You, the users, have done amazing work here, and we want to celebrate it. We may not have managed to reach our goals with Metaplace.com and Metaplace Central, but we still had a lot of fun, watched creativity flower, visited amazing places, and made a lot of friends. We’ve had amazing guest speakers, more parties than we can count, live concerts, movie premieres and art shows; we’ve seen you make adventures and schools and churches and games and countless other sorts of worlds that would otherwise never have been created.

In that spirit, we want to treat these next two weeks more as a celebration of the good times. We invite you all to come back to see all of the amazing worlds that you have made. Registration will remain open, so you can show off to your friends. Remote embeds will remain active until the last day as well.

We’ll be turning off billing immediately, and refunding everyone for all purchases in the month of December as well as subscription payments that apply to December and future months. This month is on us. We are suspending regular customer service, but the support site will remain open for now in case there are any critical billing issues.

We know many of you have done work here that you would like to preserve. Please do use this time to capture screenshots, data, scripts, movies, and assets. We have a FAQ that explains how to retrieve assets from the service.

When other worlds have reached a sunset point, people have lost touch with each other. We’ve made a lot of friends here and we’re sure that you have too, so we don’t want that to happen. We have created a forum site athttp://www.metaplaceveterans.com that will be operational soon, so that you can all keep in touch with one another.

Finally: we want to treat the 1st of January as a celebration, rather than a sad moment. Please join us on that day for a party, starting at noon Pacific time. If Metaplace.com has to go, we want to go out with style, with joy, and with the same sense of fun that we have always had. Let’s celebrate the journey, not the ending. There will be meeps – count on it.

We’re sure you have many questions about all of this – and there’s a detailed FAQ that we hope answers them. Click here to read it.

In the meantime, we want to thank you all for your support, your effort, your creativity, and your loyalty. We know that many of you will be disappointed by this outcome. We are too. We are embarking on a new and exciting direction, and it feels strange not to have you all along for the ride.

It has been a privilege to have had you here with us on this great adventure, and we hope that this community – this wonderful, engaged, passionate, friendly community – lives on and on.

We’ll miss you -- and we hope to see you again.

Metaplace Team

citizen059 on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I came across this today...

Quick Hit
    A browser/flash based American football MMO where you play the role of the coach. Send your players into games, with you serving as a play-caller. Plays just like a Madden game in "coach" mode (where you only call plays and the CPU handles the rest). You can train up your players, play single-player mode for practice, or go multiplayer to take on the rest of the community. Playing games earns "Fantasy Points" which level you up. At each new coach level, you gain "Coach Points" you can use to level up your players. Players also get MMO-like skills as they level up that you can enable before a play, giving them boosts on the field.

The game is currently in beta. It's quite playable right now, with more features on the way. There are ads scattered here and there, and it looks like a store will be available at some point that sells Coach Points. While this might allow people to buff up their teams a bit faster, you will still be able to tell how strong a team you're playing before you actually play, so if you take on a hard team you have nobody to blame but yourself.

The game runs with Adobe AIR, and the initial download is about 82MB.

Screens:

ss20091221214441.th.png
    Main Menu

ss20091221214525.th.png
    Opponent Selection

ss20091221214706.th.png
    Loading Screen

ss20091221214919.th.png
    Play Selection

ss20091221215500.th.png
    Scorin' points up in this endzone

ss20091221221811.th.png
    Post-game stats

All told, it's pretty good if you're into football games. It's really good if you suck at actually playing games like Madden (guilty as charged) and just want to be the coach.

citizen059 on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I was just about to post about Quickhit. I'm enjoying it a good bit.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited December 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

How far along are you? I've played enough to hit coach level 3. My user ID is in some of the screens.

citizen059 on
    edited December 2009
    Just a few notes:

Ballerium is dead, but is still listed in the RTS section.

Also in RTS, Battleforge now has a more viable f2p model by allowing free players to grind single player/co-op PvE battles that earn you random card rewards.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    thanks for the updates :^: removed ballerium & metaplace, edited battle forge entry and added quick hit.

Aldo on
    edited December 2009
    citizen059 wrote: »

How far along are you? I've played enough to hit coach level 3. My user ID is in some of the screens.

I've only played 2 games, but I'm coach level 4. I haven't figured out multiplayer yet.

Darkewolfe on
    edited December 2009

I've only played 2 games, but I'm coach level 4. I haven't figured out multiplayer yet.

I hit level 4 this morning before leaving for work - haven't tried a multiplayer game yet myself. What's your team name? I'll have to try to look you up.

citizen059 on
    edited December 2009

I hit level 4 this morning before leaving for work - haven't tried a multiplayer game yet myself. What's your team name? I'll have to try to look you up.

Username is Digitalwolfe. My team is the Reykjavik Suneaters.

Darkewolfe on
  • cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Username is Digitalwolfe. My team is the Reykjavik Suneaters.

Does it take awhile for games to load for you guys? It's taken 5 minutes for the "loading animations" dialogue.

Edit: Just won my first game, feels like I shoujld be doing more than just picking a place and hitting space bar, but that might be the Madden in me. Ive found you can switch key players around for plays, but thats about it. Now I have to figure out where to put all these points or whatever I won.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
    edited December 2009
    It's definitely low interaction. It IS free. I enjoy it as a fun little thing, but it's not going to bet he all-consuming game of my life.

Oh, and yeah, some of the load times are pretty nasty. This is technically in beta, I guess. (Which in this case means: we're going to start trying to generate ad revenue, but it's "beta" because we haven't actually finished it yet.)

Darkewolfe on
  • cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's definitely low interaction. It IS free. I enjoy it as a fun little thing, but it's not going to bet he all-consuming game of my life.

Oh, and yeah, some of the load times are pretty nasty. This is technically in beta, I guess. (Which in this case means: we're going to start trying to generate ad revenue, but it's "beta" because we haven't actually finished it yet.)

Gotcha, it's kept me entertained for a half hour so it isn't that bad.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
    edited December 2009
    Face of Mankind servers back up, changed all servers to US-based so Earthicans should have the best experience now.

Mini-proto-review of FoM:

It's an interesting game, sort of a mix between EVE and Deus Ex. There are no skills, attributes, or stats of any kind though, only Rank (Which affects leadership positions in your faction) and money. Factions of course play a huge role in how you will experience the game, which is nice. Law is only enforced by a player police and military faction, and it can be fun to bag a big-name felon and make him work off his Penalty Points (Gained by attacking players and such) in the prison.

Probably the best mechanic are the Objectives, mini-quests that grant you experience for increasing Rank and Faction Credits, which are converted to Universal Credits once a day depending on how many you made and how many your faction made. Money isn't terribly important, a few thousand at most will get you your factions' top tier armor and some decent weapons/ammo, and you start with 20k. Speaking of items, EVERYTHING in the game is crafted by players and sold/bought by players. There are NO npcs to speak of, aside from faction turrets that defend certain areas and can be sneaked by anyways.

Crafting is fairly dull but doesn't require attention to do. You go to a planet that has the resources you want, select the quality (Low, Medium, High), and tool around with some bars to get the most efficient money/resource rate. Materials are automatically stored in the zone storage (There's no universal bank or storage system but you can transfer items to different colonies for a nominal fee), and refinement/production automatically draws from the stock.

There's a decent variety of weapons, armor, and various utility items. Weapons include rifles, pistols, tazers, nonlethal weapons, a knife, stamina and bio energy drainers, laser rifles/pistols, and healing guns. Armor can either be standard helmets, pauldrons and vests etc, or special implants that drain bio energy but provide health regen, stamina regen, and powerful full-body shielding. There are also a variety of consumables, the most powerful of which can only be crafted by a criminal faction and include medkits, biocells (for energy), and food items that give various small buffs. Every consumable also has a negative effect though.

Combat uses basic shooter mechanics, with cone of fire bloom when moving or under rapid fire. Only cops and the army can use nonlethal weaponry, and only cops can arrest stunned criminals. Wearing your faction's (color-coded) armor is very important, as you can only read a person's name up close and friendly fire is not restricted. Unfortunately, in-faction ganking is easy and you'll have to rely on others to police it. Also, death causes you to drop your backpack contents but not your equipped gear, though you usually won't lose more than some ammo and medkits if you travel light. You start with 10 clones and when those are depleted you'll be debited for emergency cloning (which is very expensive) until you're out of money and then you're no longer immortal. Clones are cheap though so this should realistically never happen. You can also perma-die by having too many Penalty Points, at which point the clone company refuses to resurrect you.

Currently the main problem with FoM is that inter-faction objectives aren't very prevalent. Sure, cops might get "ARREST MANS LOL" and everyone else might get "SELL TO MANS LOL" but most of the time you'll probably be in your home colony, surrounded by friendlies doing boring objectives for somewhat pointless cash and rank (unless you really want to be a leader, in which case you have to suck up to your superiors since advancement is also controlled by players). Occasionally though, someone will rally up a raid and you'll have a jolly time hunting enemies as a raging mob. Or running from said mob. Or if you're GoM, making a conga line and firing disco lazorz everywhere.

So in conclusion, I see lots of potential but a lot of work is needed. Game also really relies on a good community, so it's probably more fun if you know peoples to play it with.

[tiny]That was a bit longer than I expected...[/tiny]

BlueDestiny on
    edited December 2009
    cowmeet wrote: »

Gotcha, it's kept me entertained for a half hour so it isn't that bad.

I tried playing a few games tonight, only completed one successfully. One player vanished in the 3rd quarter, three others never made it through the loading screen.

The one that did go all the way was a bit odd in chat, but it turned into an epic battle.

ss20091222233204.png

citizen059 on
    edited December 2009
    Another one bites the dust...
    MetaPlace wrote:
    Today we have unfortunate news to share with the Metaplace community. We will be closing down our service on January 1, 2010 at 11:59pm Pacific. The official announcement is here and copied below, and you can read a FAQ guide here. We will be having a goodbye celebration party on January 1st at 12:00noon Pacific Time.

Over the last several years, we here at Metaplace Inc. have been working very hard to create an open platform allowing anyone to come to a website and create a virtual world of their own.

Unfortunately, over the last few months it has become apparent that Metaplace as a consumer UGC service is not gaining enough traction to be a viable product, requiring a strategic shift for our company.

We’re sorry to announce today that Metaplace.com will be closing to the public at 11:59pm on January 1st, 2010.

This is a bittersweet moment for us. Metaplace Inc the company will be continuing on – in fact, we have big plans – but what you the users have known as Metaplace will be going away. We are also losing some friends and colleagues here as part of this strategic shift.

We’d rather dwell on the good than the sad. You, the users, have done amazing work here, and we want to celebrate it. We may not have managed to reach our goals with Metaplace.com and Metaplace Central, but we still had a lot of fun, watched creativity flower, visited amazing places, and made a lot of friends. We’ve had amazing guest speakers, more parties than we can count, live concerts, movie premieres and art shows; we’ve seen you make adventures and schools and churches and games and countless other sorts of worlds that would otherwise never have been created.

In that spirit, we want to treat these next two weeks more as a celebration of the good times. We invite you all to come back to see all of the amazing worlds that you have made. Registration will remain open, so you can show off to your friends. Remote embeds will remain active until the last day as well.

We’ll be turning off billing immediately, and refunding everyone for all purchases in the month of December as well as subscription payments that apply to December and future months. This month is on us. We are suspending regular customer service, but the support site will remain open for now in case there are any critical billing issues.

We know many of you have done work here that you would like to preserve. Please do use this time to capture screenshots, data, scripts, movies, and assets. We have a FAQ that explains how to retrieve assets from the service.

When other worlds have reached a sunset point, people have lost touch with each other. We’ve made a lot of friends here and we’re sure that you have too, so we don’t want that to happen. We have created a forum site athttp://www.metaplaceveterans.com that will be operational soon, so that you can all keep in touch with one another.

Finally: we want to treat the 1st of January as a celebration, rather than a sad moment. Please join us on that day for a party, starting at noon Pacific time. If Metaplace.com has to go, we want to go out with style, with joy, and with the same sense of fun that we have always had. Let’s celebrate the journey, not the ending. There will be meeps – count on it.

We’re sure you have many questions about all of this – and there’s a detailed FAQ that we hope answers them. Click here to read it.

In the meantime, we want to thank you all for your support, your effort, your creativity, and your loyalty. We know that many of you will be disappointed by this outcome. We are too. We are embarking on a new and exciting direction, and it feels strange not to have you all along for the ride.

It has been a privilege to have had you here with us on this great adventure, and we hope that this community – this wonderful, engaged, passionate, friendly community – lives on and on.

We’ll miss you -- and we hope to see you again.

Metaplace Team
    Is this even real? No links and googling for it ended in failure and going to the "metalplace.com" mentioned doesn't go to a game.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SpuzSpuz Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Perhaps because it's MetaPlace.com, not MetalPlace? Loads fine for me...

Spuz on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2009
    Oh, and a surprising note regarding Quick Hit...some people have been complaining about performance issues, and it seems that (according to a QH customer service agent) the game has a minimum requirement of 2GB of RAM.

Not a huge deal for most modern gamer PC's but still pretty hefty for what it is.

citizen059 on
    edited December 2009
    Oh, and a surprising note regarding Quick Hit...some people have been complaining about performance issues, and it seems that (according to a QH customer service agent) the game has a minimum requirement of 2GB of RAM.

Not a huge deal for most modern gamer PC's but still pretty hefty for what it is.
    Wow, that's uh that's something for a game running on Adobe AIR. o_O

Aldo on
    edited December 2009
    Aldo wrote: »

Wow, that's uh that's something for a game running on Adobe AIR. o_O

Not sure if that's going to be permanent or not - one of the other forum posts I just read mentioned that the game is currently running in a debug mode to send maximum data back to them for analysis, and that we shouldn't always expect it to be this slow.

It's definitely got a few snags here and there, but I'm really enjoying what they've put together so far. If they can put some polish on it (and if I can beef up my secondary, geez, I'm getting killed here) then they're going to have something here.

citizen059 on
    edited December 2009
    Tried my first "hard" game of Quick Hit. :( We lost 14-7.

Darkewolfe on
    edited December 2009
    Tried my first "hard" game of Quick Hit. :( We lost 14-7.

I haven't tried one of those yet. I'm still having tough matchups on medium. As I mentioned before, my pass defense is nonexistent. It's a bit frustrating. The only saving grace so far has been that both the CPU and other players pass so often I manage an interception or two, and since the majority of my offense is the ground attack I manage to win by keeping possession of the ball for most of the game.

citizen059 on
    edited December 2009
    Spuz wrote: »
    Yeah found it right after hitting reply. :oops: I guess I was really hoping for a robot or some kind of steampunk mmo that much.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited December 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Spuz wrote: »
    Yeah found it right after hitting reply. :oops: I guess I was really hoping for a robot or some kind of steampunk mmo that much.

I'm afraid we're stuck with Neosteam in that regard. :(

Aldo on
    edited December 2009
    Uhhh at least it's an atlus game right? yeah? :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    It's preeeeeetty terrible.

Glal on
  • RepoxRepox Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Face of Mankind changed it's business model and is out of open beta.
    I'd stay away from it, the new system is stupid.

Repox on
    edited December 2009
    Repox wrote: »
    Face of Mankind changed it's business model and is out of open beta.
    I'd stay away from it, the new system is stupid.

Sure is stupid. Mainly its them limiting the clothing you can wear and your rank that are the biggest stupid things they have done with it. The high ranking players are what make that game even work, and now they are forcing those players to pay to keep those ranks. Some of those players should be given premium status by default with the amount of time they put into making that game playable, but no, they now are forced to pay money to work for the games creators basically.

Elimination on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2009
    They haven't even added AI to the game and they are charging to play now?
    Ballsy.

Bets on how quickly the game fails with no/very few leader rank people, and a smaller user base to provide content for the paying players?

Morkath on
    edited December 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    They haven't even added AI to the game and they are charging to play now?
    Ballsy.

Bets on how quickly the game fails with no/very few leader rank people, and a smaller user base to provide content for the paying players?

Thats the issue, they are penalizing the leaders of the factions for basically being dedicated players. Without these guys their game will die a quick death, they have no AI no monsters, the game depends entirely on players playing the game and by limiting the rank system they have essentially killed their game right out the door. I think they did this to try to get all those dedicated players to pay up, sort of force their hands, but one look at the forums will tell you all it did was piss off the entire player base all at the same time.

Elimination on
This discussion has been closed.