As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

what have I done to my lawnmower?

chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
It is the last nice day for about six months in the upper midwest and I have decided to give my lawn one last cut. Lawn mower is a bit stubborn getting started, probably because I ran it out of gas last time (or so I thought). About two passes in it starts to shake, sputters, and siezes up.

Shit.

I then remembered to check something that I should have checked before starting it: the oil. Yes, there is none. The mower has siezed up to the point that I cannot even turn the blade manually. I have added more oil and am going to give it a while to cool off, but am I fucked here? I have a bad feeling that I may have done serious damage to the engine.

chamberlain on

• Options
    The LandoStanderThe LandoStander Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think it's something that would require skilled/professional work. Running an engine with no oil to the point of seizure does lasting damage to the major components. Even if you got it working again I don't think the damage done would go away.

Might be time to get a new mower. Snapper and Honda usually make some of the best stuff.

The LandoStander on
    Maybe someday, they'll see a hero's just a man. Who knows he's free.
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If its seized as bad as you say a new mower or repair will be in order.

The good part is that we're getting into a season where mowers go down, and snowblowers go up in price. A Honda will last forever if you treat it well. I mowed the lawn with a Honda older than me until we recently got a new one this summer. It had a good 26 year run.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    John Deere also makes good push mowers.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get this.

After about a half hour (and adding oil) it started again. It was smokey and unhappy about running, but I got the lawn mown.

I have a feeling that you guys are right, though, it may be a goner.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Probably tearing up the rings and cylinder walls. But ehh.. as long as it runs.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Unless you have a really bigass lawn, just get a good push mower. Much simpler, good exercise. Also, no nasty fumes/loud noise.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Apogee wrote: »
    Unless you have a really bigass lawn, just get a good push mower. Much simpler, good exercise. Also, no nasty fumes/loud noise.
    I'm guessing you mean electric push mower? They're OK. Corded electrics are priced relatively the same as similar gas push mowers, but the battery electrics, ones that hold more than a 30 minute charge or so, can get pretty pricey still.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No, he's talking about a reel mower. It's powered by you pushing it along.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get this.

After about a half hour (and adding oil) it started again. It was smokey and unhappy about running, but I got the lawn mown.

I have a feeling that you guys are right, though, it may be a goner.

Put a fork in it, it's done. When you ran it out of oil and it seized up it likely scored up the cylinder walls horrible, ruined your piston rings, and probably a few other nasty things too. While it may still "barely" run for a little while longer, your days with this engine are limited. If it's just a push mower, finding a replacement engine should be easy, but I suspect it may cost the same amount as just buying a new mower alltogether.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ahh. I've always just called the kind you don't ride on push mowers. Those were "manual" mowers. They're fine, if you mow very regularly and keep your grass short. Trying to mow a yard that's been neglected for a few weeks is horrible.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ahh. I've always just called the kind you don't ride on push mowers. Those were "manual" mowers. They're fine, if you mow very regularly and keep your grass short. Trying to mow a yard that's been neglected for a few weeks is horrible.

This is so very true. A reel mower is also a bear if you have any significant slope to your yard. Mine is totally flat so my reel mower works well (as long as I keep up with it). If you do go this route, get a sharpening kit like the one at the bottom of this page.

Richard M. Nixon on
    chevy.jpgsteve.jpgmartin.jpg