As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Serious Sam HD - Kicking names and taking ass (out on PC!) - 20 bucks for FPS mayhem

TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
Its time to STAY SERIOUS ON NOVEMBER 24th FUCKERS!
Join the steam group

Serious Sam HD - The First encounter is a remake of the original Serious Sam in the new Croengine 3.

serioussamhd.jpg

Want to see some pictures? Spoilered for being too Serious.
serioussamhdheadless.jpg
serioussamhddesert.jpg
serioussamhddemon.jpg

Trailers generously provided by Zxerol:
A Serious Trailer

A Serious Infomercial

If you have never played this think of Duke Nukem levels of masculinity mixed with the most fucked up enemies you have ever seen in huge numbers and you have more ammo than the militaries of the planet.
All you really need to know is that the first game is apparently faithfully remade. It has all the enemies you know and love in the insane numbers you remember.

Game supports 16 player co-op - enemies get harder as there are more players
Unabashed first person shooter mayhem in the likes of the original Doom - No need for realism here!
Blow up more bitches in one level then many games have in their entire single player campaign!
SERIOUS BOMB!
Really large bad guys and you can carry more ammunition then it would take to destroy the planet
Its only 20 bucks! 18 now if you pre-order on steam.
ON STEAM this game supports:
Steam cloud
Steam leaderboards
Steam Achievements
And I believe the game is also compatible with the 360 controller if you have one plugged in.

It should be noted that this is slated for PC and Xbox 360 live arcade releases with a possibility of a PSN release a couple of months down the road.

If you really care about plot in your games this is for you:
Robman wrote: »
Plot?

What's all this jibber jabber bout plot?

Sam's got a thousand pounds of kickass packed into a two hundred and fifty pound frame of distilled bad the fuck assery and a million rounds of ammo for alien killing. What more do you need to know?

TheGerbil on

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Extraaaa Liiiiiiiiiiifeeee!

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There. Now with fewer harpies and more headless screaming bombers. Greatest enemy ever.

Going to fix the second image to. Don't like it.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So sweet. This game was one of my first co-op games that I played with a friend online. It was definitely worth the money just for the first and last level.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn, this looks nice. Its a shame I cant run it, as I remember playing the original years ago and having a blast with it.

At least when I get a new PC, this will be something to look forward to.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Spoiler those pictures dude! (Aside from Sam, he's awesome enough to stay.)

So, I love(ed) this game. The second I heard the word '16 player co-op' that just sold me SO much.

Quickest $20 I've ever spent on Steam

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »

So, I love(ed) this game. The second I heard the word '16 player co-op' that just sold me SO much.

But its way to Serious to be put behind spoilers.

Fine.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TheGerbil wrote: »

But its way to Serious to be put behind spoilers.

Fine.
    <3

So, because I was quite young when I played this (for ENDLESS HOURS) the level I most distinctly rememeber is the great pyramid and how much fun it was to put on all the cheats and just kill wave after wave of enemies with various weapons (<3 the canon).

Serious Sam was my first experience of lag too. :) So, what's everyone elses favourite memories\hopes of reliving them?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The arenas.

Oh the arenas.

You drop in and about 1000 guys start pouring in from every direction and you murder them all.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They've really irritated me with the release date(s) for this. It was supposed to be out early October and I had made a promise to my nephew that it would be his birthday present. That fucked up so I'm working on something else for him, well late.

With all the recent releases my excitement for this has dropped significantly. It still is just an old game I already own with new modelling, and the more I think about it just being the First Encounter the more it irks me.

Hey this game will be grate guys!
    (sic)

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    As long as its not Serious Sam 2 I am happy.

Its been so long since I've play this that it will definitely be worth it.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh

Also I think SSHD includes 1 and 2

er, by 1 and 2, I mean the encounters, I didn't know they made a second game.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You sure? Cause the store page says "The First encounter" on it. No mention of the second one.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sixteen player co-op? Oh my. <3

EDIT: I just wonder how the hell the game's going to balance out health/ammo/pickup issues, 'cause sixteen fuckers all vying for the same shit means to me it's sixteen fuckers using the basic unlimited-ammo handgun.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Did you play co-op of the original? I believe it shared ammo pick ups between you and the enemies got more difficult. It was either that or it spawned a shit-ton more ammunition. I cannot recall but I don't ever really remember running out of ammo when playing co-op.

Updated the OP to reflect the platform this game is headed to.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    SAM

I

AM

This game was such a loving throwback to the braindead shooters of old. It's also a good indie success story.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll be honest, I never tried Serious Sam when it first came out, but I've heard so much good stuff about it that I don't want to miss it this time.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    OMG. This is AMAZING. Me and my friends killed SOOOOOOOOO many LAN party hours playing this. We'd put it on Serious difficulty, with scaled enemies depending on how many people were in the game, and then just have like 4 or 5 of us running around shooting shit. Wow. So so soooooo tight.

remlap13 on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Sixteen player co-op? Oh my. <3

EDIT: I just wonder how the hell the game's going to balance out health/ammo/pickup issues, 'cause sixteen fuckers all vying for the same shit means to me it's sixteen fuckers using the basic unlimited-ammo handgun.

I never played co-op on the PC, but the PS2 version of Second Encounter just had separate pickups for both players. You couldn't pick up the other person's stuff. You couldn't even see it.

Also, I have been looking for hours, and I finally found it. Behold, this was Einhander's favorite car back when he had Forza 2 (spoilered for 500k filesize):
    seriousu.png

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh Einhander..

urahonky on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    game is too HD for me. If only there was a graphically inferior version that was capable of running on my three yard elf.

JJ on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is an elf?

I mean, I'm assuming it's a slang term for old or underpowered PC, but I'm curious as to how you came to call it that.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    should ask that crazy bastard, aeolist.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, I honestly can't remember this so I'll ask: Did the first game even have a plot?

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Other than shoot bullets and kill bad guys?

I dunno. Maybe.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    So, I honestly can't remember this so I'll ask: Did the first game even have a plot?
    Aliens trying to take over futuristic earth. Humans have a time machine to go back and stop them way in the past, but it can only take one person. So, they take the guy who has proven the most adept and slaughtering aliens.

Then you shoot things.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    About as much plot as Doom had, from what I remember.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Aliens trying to take over futuristic earth. Humans have a time machine to go back and stop them way in the past, but it can only take one person. So, they take the guy who has proven the most adept and slaughtering aliens.

Then you shoot things.
    That explains why I don't remember anything along the lines of a plot.

God bless this game, there are simply not enough like it out there.

"I DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT STORY, LET ME KILL TONNES OF AWESOME STUFF FOREVER!"

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Needs some serious trailers for a serious game.

A Serious Trailer

A Serious Infomercial

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is the name of that song that plays in the Serious Trailer? Been trying to figure out that song for a while every time I hear it in a trailer or commercial.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    'Way better than a loveless marriage' should be the new thread title.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What is the name of that song that plays in the Serious Trailer? Been trying to figure out that song for a while every time I hear it in a trailer or commercial.
    Requiem for a Dream - Whoever did the Lord of the Rings soundtrack. (Can't remember name)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The song is Lux Aeterna (by Clint Mansell) originally for the movie Requiem for a Dream. Later on, it was remade into an orchestral version for a trailer for The Two Towers (called "Requiem for a Tower") and that version is more well known.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This is far more accurate and correct after further googling.

But, if you type Requiem for a dream into a search engine, you'll get the song anyway. Still, thank you Zxerol.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Those videos do not show enough bad guys on screen at once. Seriously, WHERE ARE THE BAD DUDES?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Needs some serious trailers for a serious game.

(snip trailers)

Done and done.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    THIS IS GOING TO BE SO GOOD

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cannot wait, no so much for the HD remix, but for the 16 player coop. Oh daddy!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm,is he firing the gun in his right hand without pulling the trigger on the picture? its seriously bugging me.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HenryVape wrote: »
    Hmm,is he firing the gun in his right hand without pulling the trigger on the picture? its seriously bugging me.

Sam can totally fire a gun without pulling the trigger. He's just that serious.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so did anyone else preorder this immediately as soon as it showed up on Steam?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png