As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need to replace my graphics card

PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi H/A,

my graphics card recently broke down and I need to buy a new one. Since I’m a student and my other hardware might also be in need of a replacement, it shouldn’t be too expensive.

My question is:
Is a Geforce 9800GT with 512 MB RAM preferable to a (slightly cheaper) Geforce 9600GT with 1024 MB RAM?

And are there any other inexpensive graphics cards you can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Platy on

• DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Get an ATI 4870 from NewEgg, unless you are partial to nVidia. It is cheap, fast and efficient.

They should be comparable are far as price goes, and the 4870 card is performs better than the 9xxx nVidia series. However, if you are partial to nVidia, I'll let someone else offer advice who is more familiar with their line of cards.

Daemonion on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you really want a Nvidia card I would say go for the 250 or the 270. They are probably the best cost efficient cards out at the moment.

But the Radeon 48xx series is around the same speed/quality as the 2xx geforce series except for the fact that they are sooo much cheaper. Like its nearly half the price for the radeon over the geforce.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd say the 9800GT is preferable to the 9600GT. The extra RAM isn't that big of a deciding factor, the 9800GT is just plain faster.

Couldn't tell you what graphics cards are priced at these days, I bought my card a while ago.

subedii on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd say the 9800GT.

Speaking of which I need to replace mine tomorrow (not the cards fault) Last I checked they were going for around $125 on Newegg, do you think Best Buy would be around that price range? Normally I'd just go with Newegg but I ask because I'm not 100% sure it's the video card that has gone wrong so if it turns out not to be the problem being able to head back out the store to return it the same day would be a huge plus.

*edit* Nevermind, I always forget they have a website :P Now to find out if the "BFG" brand of 9800s is decent.

HappylilElf on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The 9800 is a solid card. I always prefer evga.

If you're into overlcocking the 9800 is a decent choice for it.

DekuStick on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I bought a new card today. Thank you very much for your helpful answers :^:

Platy on
This discussion has been closed.