As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NPD - And the holiday sales winner is....

galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
The Xbox 360.

From gameindustry.biz:

NPD's got some preliminary numbers on how the consoles sold over the holidays (11/1 - 12/24) in the USA. The 360 had the most units sold at 2 million. The Wii was not that far behind, selling 1.8 million in the same period, despite launchng 19 days into the recording period. They both dominated the PS3, which, on account of stock problems, sold 750k.

Granted it wasn't a completely level playing field, but it's interesting to see the actual nex-gen numbers as a gauge. Full report with other juicy details to come later in the month.

Also note, they might've been outsold by older consoles as there's no info on, say, the DS/PSP/PS2.

linksig.jpg
galenblade on

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I didn't even know 750k PS3s existed, let alone sold. That is quite interesting.

I wonder how many 360s total have now been sold

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty sure that's just their November numbers added to their December predictions. Real December numbers should be out within a week.

bruin on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    so the wii sold 1.8 million in 5 weeks vs. 8 weeks the xbox 360 sold in 8?

interesting.

I also hear the PS2 with the new price point sold massive amounts of consoles

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    On the PS3 numbers, are those actual units sold and in customer hands, or are they units shipped, like Sony tends to release?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    On the PS3 numbers, are those actual units sold and in customer hands, or are they units shipped, like Sony tends to release?

According to the article and the NPD, that's units sold, not units shipped.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hardtarget wrote:
    I didn't even know 750k PS3s existed, let alone sold. That is quite interesting.

www.nexgenwars.com

Just under 10 million.

The Wii seems to be suffering more from production delays and high demand than either of the other consoles though.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

www.nexgenwars.com

Just under 10 million.

The Wii seems to be suffering more from production delays and high demand than either of the other consoles though.
    I thought we decided that nexgenwars was total bullshit. www.vgcharts.org is the best one of those sites we've got.

bruin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

www.nexgenwars.com

Just under 10 million.

nexgenwars is a bad bad bad bad site. And it has been a bad site since it launched a few months back.

There are no references, at all, anywhere on that site. As far as I know they just make up shit and put it up there. I don't get why people link to it.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    galenblade wrote:
    Also note, they might've been outsold by older consoles as there's no info on, say, the DS/PSP/PS2.

I'm almost positive the PS2 outsold everyone by a significant margin this season, but I have no links to back that up.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SO HAY I HEAR THOSE ARE PREDICTIONS.....

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hambone wrote:
    galenblade wrote:

I'm almost positive the PS2 outsold everyone by a significant margin this season, but I have no links to back that up.
    No, DS did. In November DS sold 918k, and PS2 came in second with 664k.

bruin on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

www.nexgenwars.com

Just under 10 million.

Now, I don't think high demand can ever be a bad thing, personally. Then again, I'm not some fancy ass business major, but I've never viewed high demand as a bad thing. And especially in Nintendo's case, I don't think there was this much demand for the GC.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    What about software sales?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Gears - lots
    Zelda - lots
    Resistance - not lots

bruin on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

Not included in this report, should know more about software in a week or two.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow. I didnt expect Nintendogs to still be in the top 5 selling games.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    NPD does not include Walmart, by the way. At least last I knew it didn't.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    bruin wrote:
    FreddyD wrote:
    Gears - lots
    Zelda - lots
    Resistance - not lots

hahaha, just the way you put that made me laugh out loud. guys around the office all looked at me :|

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    They released another iteration recently. That might have something to do with it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    They collect as much data as they can, then estimate the rest. It's not perfect, but for sales (Sony and Microsoft use "shipped" in their press releases most of the time), it's the best we have.

bruin on
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

www.nexgenwars.com

Just under 10 million.

nexgenwars is a bad bad bad bad site. And it has been a bad site since it launched a few months back.

There are no references, at all, anywhere on that site. As far as I know they just make up shit and put it up there. I don't get why people link to it.

It's a script that updates the totals by predetermined amounts every time it refreshes, theres no actual 'sales data' involved.

http://www.vgcharts.org/ is probably a safer bet.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Most of these numbers jive with what I've seen elsewhere. Interesting note, though, the Wii is already the next-gen console with the most market penetration in Japan and it's much easier to get data on that.

And yes, please use vgcharts.org from now on. Good site, better than NextGenWars, although I'm not quite certain where he's pulling his "other" data from vis-a-vis his Console War gauges. He gets his NA data from NPD.

EDIT:
    bruin wrote:
    They collect as much data as they can, then estimate the rest. It's not perfect, but for sales (Sony and Microsoft use "shipped" in their press releases most of the time), it's the best we have.

Yes, the state of this kind of data in the United States is lamentable. There are several companies who devote themselves exclusively to gathering this data in Japan, and they do so weekly. It's really easy to get a feel for how a game or system is doing in Japan.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Animal SpiritsAnimal Spirits Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    They released another iteration recently. That might have something to do with it.
    They have to sell them first to clear up the queue for other games, so it inflates the numbers.

Animal Spirits on
    wiisnake2jj0.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Meissnerd wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

www.nexgenwars.com

Just under 10 million.

Now, I don't think high demand can ever be a bad thing, personally. Then again, I'm not some fancy ass business major, but I've never viewed high demand as a bad thing. And especially in Nintendo's case, I don't think there was this much demand for the GC.

What I meant was, that the numbers of the Wii sales are very much limited to manufacturing whereas the PS3 (at least anecdotally) seems to be more in line with it's supply.

The problem with this is that it's more likely that wanabe Wii consumers might end up with a 360 or PSTwo than wanabe PS3 owners.

Rook on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:
    Meissnerd wrote:
    Rook wrote:
    Hardtarget wrote:

www.nexgenwars.com

Just under 10 million.

What I meant was, that the numbers of the Wii sales are very much limited to manufacturing whereas the PS3 (at least anecdotally) seems to be more in line with it's supply.

The problem with this is that it's more likely that wanabe Wii consumers might end up with a 360 or PSTwo than wanabe PS3 owners.

I think some of my fanboy genes kicked in there. But that's interesting, I thought Wii would be worse off.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    To those that are interested here is the actual graph for November.

Wiinov2006sales.jpg

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited January 2007

Wiinov2006sales.jpg

Right, we're discussing possible December numbers though. :P

Also, where's the PSP on that list? Sure it sold at least 50,000 in the U.S., it's strongest market... :shock:

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Didn't we just have this thread? with the exact same article linked? But the OP said the Wii won? And people argued that the 360 won?

D:

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow, I had no idea the GBA was still doing so strong...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Microsoft did pretty well picking up sales from people who didn't want to jump through hoops for a Wii (like myself).

Zelda has to have sold a million already, since wasn't the system/zelda ration pretty damn high in November alone?

Side note, what was the expectations of the 360 selling in its life cycle? 20-25 million? I would think it's doing better than expected in that regard.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I found this little bit interesting:

For the month of November in America http://www.vgcharts.org/

1) X360 Gears of War -1,126,500
    2) PS2 Final Fantasy XII -1,026,000

GoW pulls out 100k more units than FFXII? Well... to be fair, that number doesn't actually count October 31st, which probably sold a shit-ton. But still interesting considering their releases were only a week apart.

*Edit* I tried finding the numbers for FFXII for just the 31st, but nothing came up. Perhaps those numbers ARE included in the Novembers sales there?

kriegs on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote:

Wiinov2006sales.jpg

Right, we're discussing possible December numbers though. :P

Also, where's the PSP on that list? Sure it sold at least 50,000 in the U.S., it's strongest market... :shock:

Sony NEVER releases the PSP sale numbers. Only the shipped numbers when they do decide to release numbers

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    charts.gif

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    solsovly on
  • Options
    SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Wiinov2006sales.jpg

so if those predictions are true, 550,000 ps3s were sold in december?

That sounds.... quite high.

Sanders on
  • Options
    StriderEdgeStriderEdge Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    charts.gif

But is this chart misleading me? I need to know!

StriderEdge on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    kriegs wrote:
    I found this little bit interesting:

For the month of November in America http://www.vgcharts.org/

1) X360 Gears of War -1,126,500
    2) PS2 Final Fantasy XII -1,026,000

GoW pulls out 100k more units than FFXII? Well... to be fair, that number doesn't actually count October 31st, which probably sold a shit-ton. But still interesting considering their releases were only a week apart.

*Edit* I tried finding the numbers for FFXII for just the 31st, but nothing came up. Perhaps those numbers ARE included in the Novembers sales there?

It does. Since VIII, FF games have lost a lot of market power here in the States. December's full chart will tell the real tale of how XII did in the States.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Sanders wrote:

Wiinov2006sales.jpg

so if those predictions are true, 550,000 ps3s were sold in december?

That sounds.... quite high.

Uh, that's a November chart. Where are you pulling December data from?

Oh, wait, I see, yay math. Nah, that sounds about right. The Wii's sold easily over a million so I'd be surprised if 500k PS3s didn't ship due to EBAY FURY and whatnot.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't blame me if the chart is in your eyes faulty. I just put it up for reference so people know what the companies are positioned for christmas. I am still suprised though that PS2 kicks the newer gen asses.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Don't blame me if the chart is in your eyes faulty. I just put it up for reference so people know what the companies are positioned for christmas. I am still suprised though that PS2 kicks the newer gen asses.
    To be fair, it's been the established market leader since it's inception, over six years ago.

Halfmex on