As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC game recommendations

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Okay, I've been out of the PC scene for about 2 years I think. I stopped buying anything new about when Crysis came out, but now I have a new quad core on it's way. What games really push a system? Is Crysis the game to test a new machine with? Anyway, I'm probably grabbing Crysis, DA: O, The Witcher, Mass Effect and The Sims 3 (for the fiancee) and DoW2 for starters, and I have Supreme Commander sitting there that I haven't played because it made my machine want to cut itself, so I'll probably give that a go. Any other big PC games I've missed over the years?

-Loki- on

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shattered Horizon has some pretty beefy requirements and is only $20, plus it's actually fun.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well after Crysis you're going to want to get Crysis Warhead, because it's awesome and I think it's one of the best FPS's of recent years.

Orange Box is a given I presume?

Left 4 Dead assuming you like multiplayer / co-op games, L4D2 coming out soon.

Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 if you like RTS's. The campaign's good. Co-op (DoW 2) is awesome. CoH will also stress your system nicely.

World in Conflict if you want your RTS even more fast paced.

Zeno Clash is completely bizarre but is probably the first time anyone's taken first person brawling and made it work.

I'll throw in a recommendation for Shadowgrounds and Shodowgrounds: Survivor, just because I like those games. Top-down isometric shooters. Can be played co-op on the same PC (no internet play unfortunately).

Await Tycho because he's going to come in soon and dump a list on you.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh, and Borderlands is pretty damn fun.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Orange Box is a given I presume?

Played everything I was interested in on my old PC (so I already have it).

After the beating it took at our ratings board? Pffft.
    Company of Heroes and Dawn of War 2 if you like RTS's. The campaign's good. Co-op (DoW 2) is awesome. CoH will also stress your system nicely.

I have CoH lying around, so I'll reinstall that too. I should put DoW2 in my post - I forgot I'm grabbing it asap.
    World in Conflict if you want your RTS even more fast paced.

Zeno Clash is completely bizarre but is probably the first time anyone's taken first person brawling and made it work.

I'll check them out.
    Darmak wrote: »
    Oh, and Borderlands is pretty damn fun.

Got it on PS3.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Orange box for TF2 and for the mods, oh the mods.

Go to GOG.com and get yourself freespace 1 and 2 and get the enhancement mods.

Get Mount and Blade and the Prophecy of Pendor.

Maybe UT3

Gears of War

Batman Arkam Asylum

Fallout 3

Dragonage

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    a) Steam
    b) Top Rated
    c) Profit!

Robman on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

Couldn't agree more, it's sad. Like a new standard, L4D2 is a great game to recommend, unless you're from Australia.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    a) Steam
    b) Top Rated
    c) Profit!

I don't do the digital distribution thing unless I can't get a game any other way. Mainly because I'm in Australia and, well, bandwidth caps and all that shit.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shattered Horizon has some pretty beefy requirements and is only $20, plus it's actually fun.

That actually looks pretty interesting, and I've never heard of it. Is this a mainly multiplayer game or is there a good single player campaign? From the video on the site, it looks like it could go either way.

Oh and for PC games.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but it seems like a love it or hate it type game.

Fallout 3

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In that case

http://www.metacritic.com/games/pc/scores/

Pretty good list to walk down and check off games from

EDIT I found out some reviewer gave MS FS:X a 4/10. That person should be fucking shot, that's the worst single review I've ever seen in my life.

Robman on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    a) Steam
    b) Top Rated
    c) Profit!

I don't do the digital distribution thing unless I can't get a game any other way. Mainly because I'm in Australia and, well, bandwidth caps and all that shit.

The first step to playing games in Australia is not being in Australia.

Or: why not look at the top ranked games on Steam, then buy them in a store?

Though their ratings are, like any meta-critic, not really going to give you a complete picture. I usually trust that anything I'm interested in is worth it if it's over 85. If it's really interesting, a 75 or above.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    STALKER is something I might reinstall (I have it already) just to see what it looks like on a non-shit PC. I didn't much enjoy the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Couldn't agree more, it's sad. Like a new standard, L4D2 is a great game to recommend, unless you're from Australia.

Don't write it off just yet. It's been confirmed that you can get the regular edition even if you're in Australia.

The way it works is that there are two (well, probably more if you count Germany and maybe some other places) versions of Left 4 Dead 2. If you're buying the game from inside Australia then you get that version. However, if someone were to buy the game from outside Australis (say someone in the US), and gift it to you, you'd get the international version, not the Australian version.

This has been confirmed to work with the demo by several PA regulars (including LaCabra), and various other boards, so it's highly likely it'll work with the actual game. All you need to do is get someone outside Australia to buy the game for you and gift it to you, then you can pay them via paypal or whatever. Quite a few people here did it just by getting in on a four-pack.

So yeah, I'd say at least keep it in mind, because it looks like you can still easily get the same version everyone else is getting. I can't guarantee it yet since obviously the game hasn't been released, but it works for the demo and there's no reason to presume the final product isn't the same. Those that received the international version have a different product identifier than the Australian version, so Steam just treats it as such.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Though their ratings are, like any meta-critic, not really going to give you a complete picture. I usually trust that anything I'm interested in is worth it if it's over 85. If it's really interesting, a 75 or above.

Because critical score doesn't mean a whole lot to me - I've bought and enjoyed critically 'bad' games. This board seems to have that mentality (in some capacity at least), from what I've seen, which is why I'm asking here.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Because critical score doesn't mean a whole lot to me - I've bought and enjoyed critically 'bad' games. This board seems to have that mentality (in some capacity at least), from what I've seen, which is why I'm asking here.

The aggregate scores are usually a good indicator of overall quality. Knowing nothing more then a few paragraphs, you might want to go and check out popular games because well, popular games tend to be pretty good.

Robman on
  • Options
    hobokenthobokent Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Torchlight is good fun if you're into action rpgs.

hobokent on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You should probably give Zeno Clash a try. There is a demo available. It's not a perfect game by any means, but has a wonderful first person melee combat system that feels very staisfying and a crazy as hell art style.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Barrabas wrote: »

That actually looks pretty interesting, and I've never heard of it. Is this a mainly multiplayer game or is there a good single player campaign? From the video on the site, it looks like it could go either way.

Oh and for PC games.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R, but it seems like a love it or hate it type game.

Fallout 3

It's only multiplayer, there's only 4 maps at the moment but they're going to release more and add stuff like voice chat. There's also only the one gun (which can sorta double as a sniper rifle) in case that sort of thing bothers you. However the zero-g environment is pretty fucking cool since you have to think and fight in 3 dimensions, I love the 360 degrees of movement available.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This whole australia thing is really funny when you look at Duradal's sig.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dark Messiah is pretty good.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How was Tropico 3? More tropical than the original?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    How was Tropico 3? More tropical than the original?

It's really, really, similar to the original. Slightly more fast paced with some annoyances taken care of and it's fairly pretty. It's totally worth it if you're hankering for a city building game and loved Tropico 1, but not worth it if you got tired of the first one and can't see getting into it again.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So it's a remake? Is that fair to say?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    STALKER is something I might reinstall (I have it already) just to see what it looks like on a non-shit PC. I didn't much enjoy the game.

If you didn't play it all the way through, I'd give it a shot. Install the Stalker Complete 2009 mod, too. Makes it look a lot better plus some other minor things. I bought the game about a week ago (it was $5!), hated it to begin with, but it gets much better as it goes on.

[Michael] on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Await Tycho because he's going to come in soon and dump a list on you.

hooo

Games that can PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT™ graphicswise (most of these are on Steam btw)

Assassin's Creed
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Bioshock
    Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
    Crysis and Crysis: Warhead
    Empire: Total War
    Mirror's Edge
    Oblivion
    World in Conflict

Other fun games that you might have missed and that basically have widespread critical acclaim (these are all on Steam):

Braid
    Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
    Civilization IV
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Dawn of War II
    Dead Space
    Fallout 3
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    GRID
    Hitman: Something or other
    IL2 Sturmovik: 1946
    Left 4 Dead
    Mass Effect
    Men of War
    Monkey Island
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Orange Box
    Overlord
    Painkiller
    Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 and 2
    Psychonauts
    Red Faction: Guerilla
    Tropico 3
    Tomb Raider: Whatever the good ones are, by Crystal Dynamics or whatever
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    The Witcher
    World of Goo
    X3: Terran Conflict
    Zeno Clash

On GoG.com:
    Arx Fatalis
    Beneath a Steel Sky
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Descent 3
    Fallout and Fallout 2
    Freespace and Freespace 2
    Giants: Citizen Kabuto
    IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Painkiller
    Sacrifice
    Tex Murphy

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Also

Flight Sim X

And this beastie
    SaitekX52_splash_lrg.jpg

Because you might as well roll in style

Robman on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nice list Tycho - a lot of those I either have (because they came out when my PC could at least run them playably), or I passed over the PS3 version or have the PS3 version. Seems like I'm pretty up to speed on PC games - I thought a lot might have gone by unnoticed. Thanks for the responses guys.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I play almost nothing on PC anymore, but I will chime in on 2 things: Civ IV and C&C: Red Alert 3. Both are everything I loved from the originals with plenty of good new stuff.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Some off the wall suggestions

King's bounty - a TBS game kind of in the vein of HoMM, but with RPG elements
    Plant's vs Zombies
    Peggle

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I completely, totally forgot about the Total War games! I missed out on Medievil 2 Total war and Empire Total War. What are they like? I kind of enjoyed Rome but I loved Shogun Total War.

edit - Spore and the Galactic Adventures expansion. Are they worth it?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I completely, totally forgot about the Total War games! I missed out on Medievil 2 Total war and Empire Total War. What are they like? I kind of enjoyed Rome but I loved Shogun Total War.

edit - Spore and the Galactic Adventures expansion. Are they worth it?

"Exorrent news, mah rord! Your assassin was triumphant!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gim3Jb8XsLM&feature=related

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sins of a Solar Empire is like $20au these days. Is it worth it if I don't really want to play it multiplayer?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Let me introduce you to one of my threads.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sins of a Solar Empire is like $20au these days. Is it worth it if I don't really want to play it multiplayer?

I don't know if it's available in Australia for cheap but there was a pack that looked snazzy with SoaSE and GC2.

http://www.gogamer.com/Space-Unlimited-Compilation--I--for-PC-Front-Page_stcVVproductId86459249VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I don't know if it's available in Australia for cheap but there was a pack that looked snazzy with SoaSE and GC2.

http://www.gogamer.com/Space-Unlimited-Compilation--I--for-PC-Front-Page_stcVVproductId86459249VVcatId444710VVviewprod.htm

Haven't seen that pack here. I was asking because I saw it on the shelf for $17.99 and wondered if it was worth it to someone only looking to fight AI.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Haven't seen that pack here. I was asking because I saw it on the shelf for $17.99 and wondered if it was worth it to someone only looking to fight AI.

The AI puts up a pretty good fight. It's a fun game to play solo. If you can get it bundled with GalCiv II for a deal, I'd say go for it. Either one of them is good, and GalCiv II is focused on single player so you may want to check it out anyway.

Drake on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Everyone should play Grim Fandango at least once in their gaming experience.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I guess there is the benefit of missing the last 2-3 years of PC gaming in that a lot of the games I want to play are pretty cheap now.

-Loki- on