As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

IT'S BRUUUTAL!! (Metalocalypse Thread)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    143999 wrote: »
    Plus, they didn't end up exactly skilled in the blues.

Mashed Potatos Johnson said it was the most depressing thing he's heard in his entire life.

He's referring to "Murdertrain a Comin'", a comedic track that didn't make the regular album, and Skwisgaar does get the blues riffs down.

But I think Toki really did un-learn guitar for Season 2.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    ...I know what he's talking about...

and in the track, Mashed Potatoes Johnson says it's the most depressing thing he's heard in his entire life.

So. Yes, they made a Blues Death Metal song.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Less thinkin's more playin's. Come on's grandpa guitar, let's do this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-kGi9KuvYI

Somebody did an amazing cover of Murderface's version of Takin' it Easy, complete with Tittyfish interlude.

That was the most brutal thing I have ever heard in my entire life...... High five.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do the Swedes really like metal that much? Or is that an exaggeration?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

Some towns in Sweden have been credited with having pioneered Melodic Death Metal. Much in the same way Seattle is credited with starting Grunge in the 90s.

So it's kind of a big deal over there, but it's really a lot of that part of Europe that has big ties to Metal.

edit: Also, here's a partial list of Nordic Countries Death Metal Bands

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Some towns in Sweden have been credited with having pioneered Melodic Death Metal. Much in the same way Seattle is credited with starting Grunge in the 90s.

So it's kind of a big deal over there, but it's really a lot of that part of Europe that has big ties to Metal.

edit: Also, here's a partial list of Nordic Countries Death Metal Bands

Man what is it with Seattle these days?

Cantido on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My wife and I recently caught up with this show on DVD, just in time for the season 3 premiere. It was good stuff.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As much as I like this show, I blame it for having to pay $45 to see Mastodon.

oh so true...

toolbert on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    toolbert wrote: »

oh so true...

I loves me some Mastodons.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    toolbert wrote: »

oh so true...

I loves me some Mastodons.

Time to start going to concerts. My God, I've never been to a concert of stuff. I have no culture.

Cantido on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mannnnnn I keep watching the vid on Adult Swim of their newest song. I love how it's becoming more melodic again.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really have to pickup those two albums. And the DVDs.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You mean this?

Edit: Oh right, don't watch that if you haven't seen the episode yet. BIG SPOILERS IN THAT VIDEO.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You mean this?

Edit: Oh right, don't watch that if you haven't seen the episode yet. BIG SPOILERS IN THAT VIDEO.

Exactly that. It's a shame it cuts there. In the full ep. that badass riff plays all the way through the credits.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did anyone catch the Death reference in the premiere?

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whaaat?! Brendan Smalls actually goes on tour and plays Dethklok songs?! And the opening band is Mastadon! F-F-F-F-F-F-F

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »
    Whaaat?! Brendan Smalls actually goes on tour and plays Dethklok songs?! And the opening band is Mastadon! F-F-F-F-F-F-F

Actually, Mastodon is co-headlining. (They've been playing all of Crack the Skye and other assorted awesomeness.)

High on Fire and Converge are the opening bands.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Correct, In particular it was Gothenburg Sweden, and the bands At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, and In Flames that are credited as the original Gothenburg Melodic Death bands.

Its a lot of that region in general though like Dissociater said. A fair share of bands I listen to are from Finland for example.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Paladin wrote: »
    Who is this?
    signatureyu.png

Looks like...

Hammertop?

On an unrelated topic... Super Tits Candy Snake project is the greatest thing ever. Whatever it is.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Actually, Mastodon is co-headlining. (They've been playing all of Crack the Skye and other assorted awesomeness.)

Worth going to just for Converge. Axe to Fall is the best album I've heard in years and Converge's best IMO (yes better than Jane Doe)

JeffH on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It's a really really good show man. Not only do they play songs, but interspersed between the mini-sets are little vignettes. So it's like you're watching a live episode of Metalocalypse. I'd probably rank it in the top 3 concerts I've seen. And they're playing small venues too, so it's really personal.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I hated this show at first.

Then they focused less on "OH, LOOK HOW AWESOME THESE GUYS ARE, WE'RE SO METAL!" to "Man, who the hell do these guys stay alive? They are too stupid to be living, but it's damn hilarious."

And I started really liking it. The earlier episodes also seem better in retrospect.

Season premier was awesome, but...
    Wasn't resurrecting the lawyer kind of the cheap way out? Well, we'll see. I'm also curious about General Crozier.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

It's a really really good show man. Not only do they play songs, but interspersed between the mini-sets are little vignettes. So it's like you're watching a live episode of Metalocalypse. I'd probably rank it in the top 3 concerts I've seen. And they're playing small venues too, so it's really personal.

Here it is, you see some of the cartoons inbetween songs. If you buy the deluxe Dethalbum 2, you get all the cartoons in the background <3

Sweet Blowjobby Metal used in context
    Synthesis wrote: »

Then they focused less on "OH, LOOK HOW AWESOME THESE GUYS ARE, WE'RE SO METAL!" to "Man, who the hell do these guys stay alive? They are too stupid to be living, but it's damn hilarious."

American celebrity-ism and celebrity-stupidity is a recurring theme of the show.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i'm so sad that i missed seeing dethklok because i found out about the concert 20 minutes before it started and i was like NOOOOOO

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Roger Hammerstein.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I wish I could see them again, I'm going next time they come to Toronto, for sure.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Roger Hammerstein.

Rogers and Hammerstein.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That screen they had?

it should have been one of the meat-hooked plasmas that Dethklok is so fond of.

even if it was a faux-television and the used a projector on it, that effect would have been so cool.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Wow.

I knew I'd heard the name "Brendon Small" before.

He's the creator of Home Movies, and did the voice of the character named after him.

Holy shit, how did it take me that long to realize that?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

The very first episode was about how Dethklok is collectively too stupid to shop for food at a supermarket.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The very first episode was about how Dethklok is collectively too stupid to shop for food at a supermarket.

Actually, I picked up a bit after that. Mostly what I caught at friends' houses.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    JeffH wrote: »

Worth going to just for Converge. Axe to Fall is the best album I've heard in years and Converge's best IMO (yes better than Jane Doe)

I'll be watching this episode tonight. For the record, Converge suck when they're not playing Boston.

I mean, no mic swings to the face? shame. We used to be scared for our frail bones to stand too close at a Converge show, now they're just so goddamn thankful.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Food Library.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Food Library.

Well played.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'll be watching this episode tonight. For the record, Converge suck when they're not playing Boston.

I mean, no mic swings to the face? shame. We used to be scared for our frail bones to stand too close at a Converge show, now they're just so goddamn thankful.

While I admit Converge doesn't really play the type of music I like, all bias aside, I thought they put on a terrible show during the Dethklok/ Mastodon set. Their sound was terrible (blame the sound techs, I guess, but I was in a pretty good position for sound for all the other bands), and the lead singer did some of the stupidest things on stage. The mic spinning wasn't bad, but the hand gestures he did made me laugh. He was busting out jazz hands or something. Also, he did these weird wind-sprint things back and forth on stage when he wasn't singing. He just looked stupid.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

While I admit Converge doesn't really play the type of music I like, all bias aside, I thought they put on a terrible show during the Dethklok/ Mastodon set. Their sound was terrible (blame the sound techs, I guess, but I was in a pretty good position for sound for all the other bands), and the lead singer did some of the stupidest things on stage. The mic spinning wasn't bad, but the hand gestures he did made me laugh. He was busting out jazz hands or something. Also, he did these weird wind-sprint things back and forth on stage when he wasn't singing. He just looked stupid.

I've seen Converge in two localities. A handful of times, pre-Jane Doe, when they were still the "biggest metal band in Boston", and once a few years back when they opened for Coheed in upstate NY. They weren't the same band. They don't know how to act when they're not surrounded by their legions of local fans.

On topic, I only got through half the episode, but I like. A lot.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I haven't seen them in a few years, and I guess being from Boston you might be right, but everytime I've seen them here it's been absolutely insane

JeffH on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow.

He's the creator of Home Movies, and did the voice of the character named after him.

Yep, another great show. Just think about it, the guy who wrote the Kafka rock opera also does Dethklok's stuff.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's amazing that Metalacalypse is so amazing when Home Movies was so terrible.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Wow.

Yep, another great show. Just think about it, the guy who wrote the Kafka rock opera also does Dethklok's stuff.

You know, you're right. I'd never made that connection either.

Home Movies is another series that grew on me, over time. It's just really funny that the guy named the main character after himself. Not unheard of, but surprising.
    It's amazing that Metalacalypse is so amazing when Home Movies was so terrible.

Hey! Hey! No. Just, no.

(Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. A lot of people think Metalocalypse sucks too.)

Synthesis on