As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Capcom: need for $ = more licensed games

cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
And so it continues. Gamespot's saying Capcom is expanding its presence in Los Angeles with the specific purpose of seeking out movies in development that would make for (hopefully) good games. The reason for this? Development costs.
There has been overlap between the game and film industries for some time, but Capcom wants to take that relationship one step further. The publisher will be expanding its presence in Los Angeles, and is considering bringing staff over from its Japanese headquarters in order to better secure movie licences for games, its senior vice president of licensing, Germaine Gioia, told The Hollywood Reporter.

The company hired Gioia, formerly VP of licensing at THQ, to work with movie studios to find properties that will work well as games. The reason behind this initiative is the rising costs for game development on next-gen platforms, which can reach between $10-12 million per title, Gioia said. With development costs that high, Capcom wants to reach as broad an audience as possible--and movie tie-ins are one way of doing this.

"I think it is becoming clear that the very largest successful publishers are delivering more and more of a balance to the marketplace," Gioia said. "They need [not only] their own intellectual property and good solid original development but [also] licensed product that can reach across cultures."

The article goes on to say that these licensed games will be made by Capcom's existing staff, and that Capcom "won't be abandoning its core franchises."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163613.html?tag=latestnews;title;1

Reading between the lines, the worst-case scenario is that Capcom's definition of "not abandoning core franchises" means releasing even more sequels to Mega Man, without inventing new ones.

Looks like the licensing trend is accelerating.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
cloudeagle on

• Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    While it doesn't sound positive, it can mean some good. Anyone remember the golden era of Disney games? During the NES/SNES era, Capcom created some of the best games that were disney licensed.

solsovly on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I see this as kind of exciting. I'm kinda sick of shitty-ass developers making all the licensed games. Remember the Konami Ninja Turtles games? Hell yeah.

But it's a shame that Capcom is doing this primarily for the money. I can imagine making a game you're forced to by management doesn't always get you the best results.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    An awesome games company, renowned for being sucsesfull and innovative is entering a side of the games develpoment market that suffers a lack of innovation? Said company will have acsess to cool new movie franchises?

Am I the only one who this this is excellent news?

EDIT: I am aware of the fact that I said capcom is creative but churns out the same games over and over again.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Really, nothing to like about this. It's diverting their time and talent from real games.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited January 2007
    Really, nothing to like about this. It's diverting their time and talent from real games.
    Man, Lion King and Aladdin Genesis WERE real games.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Here's my worry: deadlines. Games like Duck Tales were indeed awesome, though its development time was much shorter than the average game today, and it didn't have a specific time it had to come out, as long as the TV show was popular.

But games today require a hell of a lot more time in development, and movie games have to be out by the time the movie opens. And with that kind of time crunch, even the most talented developers can churn out a piece o' poo simply because they don't have the time to finish.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The thought of a DMC-like Matrix game makes my pants kind of tight.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    quit wasting money on shit and make some 2d fighters.

sad thing is, is that 2d games cost more to make, right? for all the drawings.

then again, with tablets these days, is it really more to make 2d games still? D:

dammit, get back to 2d fighters.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Yeah, half the problem is the licenser's silly demands and oversight on a game. The other half is that they magically expect a good game to be made in six months.

What movie studios should start doing is shopping around the video game rights once they start casting for a movie.

Look at Goldeneye. The game was delayed way past the movie's opening. Or the quality of Enter the Matrix vs The Path of Neo.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Remember the Konami Ninja Turtles games? Hell yeah.
    I remember not only the late 80s/early 90s games, but also the more recent TMNT games that blew ass.

I don't think Konami has ever not had the TMNT license.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Thoughtless MuseThoughtless Muse Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PikaPuff wrote:
    quit wasting money on shit and make some 2d fighters.

sad thing is, is that 2d games cost more to make, right? for all the drawings.

then again, with tablets these days, is it really more to make 2d games still? D:

dammit, get back to 2d fighters.

It's not going to happen at this point. The closest thing you're going to see from them is War of the Grail.

Thoughtless Muse on
    GSCGyms.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Snakes on a Plane license should be cheap. They can use the DMC engine and everything.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    korodullin wrote:
    I remember not only the late 80s/early 90s games, but also the more recent TMNT games that blew ass.

LALALALALALALALA Turtles in Time LALALALALALALALALA

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    korodullin wrote:

LALALALALALALALA Turtles in Time LALALALALALALALALA

And now Ubisoft is doing the one based on the new movie.

I don't know what to make of this yet.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:

Lion King was made by Westwood and Aladdin (genesis) was made by virgin/sega.

solsovly on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    anything has to be better than the crap licensed games that EA puts out right?

Artoria on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Wow. $10-12 million per title. I have to wonder how many game developers are gonna go bankrupt this generation.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gyral wrote:
    Wow. $10-12 million per title. I have to wonder how many game developers are gonna go bankrupt this generation.
    Downloadable titles are the only thing keeping the indie developers afloat.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Capcom has an expectional past history with licensed games. The Disney games in the NES and SNES years are all quality. They could do quite a bit with the RE4 and DMC engines as far as big holiday movies go. This could be an ok thing.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    guys i think you have confused cause and effect

bongi on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Little Mermaid for NES rocked me OUT.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    El VientoEl Viento Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I read the thread title and thought it was a new 2D fighter franchise.

El Viento on
    vf5bannerok6.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On one hand, they could come out with fewer niche titles and focus on their "big series." On the other hand, this could give them an extra boost in cash allowing them to make more niche games.

The win situation would, of course, be that they'd make franchise games that are actually fun, which would give them the ability to make lots of niche games AND improve their franchises.

Capcom's made some great games, but they've also created some spectacularly mediocre titles too.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Capcom has nearly always been in financial problems due poor management, and for first time in long time, they are actually doing rather well. I just think it's great if they can get more money for their projects by doing some license crap. This is of course with reservation that they keep quality up and not turn into next EA.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I see this as kind of exciting. I'm kinda sick of shitty-ass developers making all the licensed games. Remember the Konami Ninja Turtles games? Hell yeah.

But it's a shame that Capcom is doing this primarily for the money. I can imagine making a game you're forced to by management doesn't always get you the best results.
    Er. Konami still makes the TMNT games. Guess how good they are.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Ubi is making the TMNT games now

Rook on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Nintendo should just buy Capcom.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    It would be my wet dream if Capcom made a game of the Scott Pilgrim movie

unless the movie sucks.

Carol Vorderman on
    lincolnhi9lg8.gif
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    hughtron wrote:
    Nintendo should just buy Capcom/doublefine/the guy who made warning forever/introversion/Free radical/Trioka that was

fix'd up, lookin' sharp

LewieP on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:

I played that shit

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You know, just because games can cost ten to twelve million dollars doesn't mean they have to. I think this is a bit ridiculous.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    syndalis wrote:
    They were fucking fantastic movie games.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RandomVinceRandomVince Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Id like for games to be viable without needing to feed off the scraps from other entertainment media. If the only thing (some) companies can aspire to is to make a game based on a half-arsed popcorn movie then theyre better off gone.

RandomVince on
    ULTIMATUM, n. In diplomacy, a last demand before resorting to concessions.
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope they get the Chip 'n' Dales' Rescue Rangers license back.

I agree with most things said so far. Capcom makes good games. Movie deadlines are a problem. We need 2d fighters.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I can settle for some licensed games as long as they are good. The Simpsons arcade game rocked but pretty much all other Simpson games have blown balls except for (I think) Hit N Run. The Family Guy game should have been a home run, thematically it is but gameplay? Ugh. Doesn't mean I want to see games of Drawn Together or any more of that ...ugh South Park game (The first game I ever actually returned due to shitiness).

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Like Mega Man ZX 2-9, MMZ 5-9, Resident Evil 5-9, Viewtiful Joe: All downhill from the start...

I can go on. Capcom has talent for ONE real game, and then they just shit out vaguely different sequels.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Rook wrote:

Ubi is making the TMNT games now
    Wrong. Ubisoft has the rights to the movie. Konami still has the rights to the TV show.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    what about all the sweet arcade capcom license games (punisher, cadillacs and dinosaurs, marvel series, d&d, aliens vs. predator, etc.)? we know for a fact that capcom can make awesome games with third party intellectual property, whether it be movies, comics or otherwise.

i just hope capcom will choose good ip and make great games like they often (sometimes?) do.

Ketherial on
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I will cringe if we get some bullshit like Harry Potter vs Capcom: 3D Fighting EX instead of SF4.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    really, what happened to ye olde 2d beat-em-up of arcade yore?

seriously, make one with SF3's sprite quality, throw in online multi and WHAM.

FierceDeity666 on