As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Excitebike - "No," he said. "I mean I wish the N64 game had been this."

ThrustinJThrustinJ Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
quote from 1up.

Anyone else getting this today? Sharing tracks? Playing online?

Images from IGN
excitebike-world-rally-20091027061333153_640w.jpg

excitebike-world-rally-20091027061353700_640w.jpg

excitebike-world-rally-20091027061346981_640w.jpg

ThrustinJ on

• Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Woo!

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't believe it took this long to release this game. Oh well, better late than never.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm sure this game is great and all.

But Excitebike 64 was really fantastic as well.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd like another game in the vein of Excite Truck too. I bloody love that game so much. I even imported Excitebots (which never came out in Europe) and it's not quite as good as the original.

Still, this looks neato.

LewieP on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I'd like another game in the vein of Excite Truck too. I bloody love that game so much. I even imported Excitebots (which never came out in Europe) and it's not quite as good as the original.

Still, this looks neato.

Really, no Excitebots in Europe? Huh. Well, makes up for us yanks not getting Disaster!
    No, it doesn't.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think it's release date is still listed as TBA.

I guess the GC release of Animal Crossing did finally get a PAL release after being TBA for like 3 years, so maybe it will eventually come out.

Edit: As I said, I don't think it is quite as good as Excite Truck, but it is still pretty damn good.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This looks interesting. What's the asking price?

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ten bucks.

Which gets you four "cups" of singleplayer races/tracks (four races each I think), the track editor and online play with randoms or friends.

I played a few games with randoms and it was pretty nice. Once they match you up with dudes they keep the "lobby" going for the next races. I didn't have any problems with lag or anything like that.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As soon as I can I'll be getting this. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    holy crap this looks great!

slash000 on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah, but can you still do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzDOjBJFnt8

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was watching a live stream of this earlier and it looks fantastic. Plus it still has the speed the newer games in the series is known for.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just downloaded it today. I'll play with anyone who's down. My friend code is: 0732-4824-0365. PM me if you add me, so I'll add you.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My friend code for this: 0861-3312-7606

We should put these in the OP and totally make this a Game On thread.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm sure this game is great and all.

But Excitebike 64 was really fantastic as well.

Yeah this.

I'm sure this will be fun but it seems more suited to an unlockable game mode than something I'm buying as a full fledged sequel.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am buying this now. I will request the few of you who have already posted their friend code. See mine in my sig. Please PM me if you add me.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I am dumb. My code is 099018061823.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Goddamn that's amazing.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't care for 64 as much, but this was fun, I grabbed it just a little while ago. I need to play with the motion controls a bit more, because I don't think I'm doing it right; they aren't responding as I'd like.

Do you hold it flat, Excite Truck style, and tilt left and right, more more like if it were in the Wii Wheel, where it's sort of facing you?

Pity this version lacks the little racer jumping up and down on the winner's podium, but it's a great game still.

I wish they'd have patched Excite Truck for Wii Wheel support, but I've had a good time with Excitebots. Nintendo should really have pushed that more.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would assume you hold the controller NES style, buttons up, and tilt left and right.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There are two control styles, classic and normal.

Both involve holding the remote NES style. Up and down changes lanes, 2 is gas and 1 is turbo. The only difference is that in normal, you tilt the remote left and right to change pitch for wheelies and landings, while in classic you press left and right on the d-pad to change pitch.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

Still, this looks neato.

Excite Truck was probably my favourite Wii game. I would just like an Excite Truck 2 with more of everything.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Huh, I never really looked at gameplay videos for excitebots before. I just figured it'd be like that micromachines thing they did with little people and be crap but excitebots actually looks like Excite Truck with more of everything. Lewie, you will have to invite me over to play sometime, I don't think I can play imports on my Wii.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Htown wrote: »
    There are two control styles, classic and normal.

Both involve holding the remote NES style. Up and down changes lanes, 2 is gas and 1 is turbo. The only difference is that in normal, you tilt the remote left and right to change pitch for wheelies and landings, while in classic you press left and right on the d-pad to change pitch.

Well, that part I knew. But...
    I would assume you hold the controller NES style, buttons up, and tilt left and right.

Did anyone ever actually hold their NES controllers with the buttons facing straight up? I always held mine at more of an angle.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Goddamn that's amazing.

Indeed, I have urge to play this game now.

psychotix on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Excitebike 64 doesn't get enough credit! :P It was as good a game as 1080 Snowboarding, the control system was tight as hell and felt like pure Nintendo.

I loved tapping Z at the cusp of each ramp to rocket into the air. And popping a risky wheelie in order to ride through a river at full speed was awesome. The game was hardcore as hell though... I can see why they ditched that potential mini-franchise in favour of Wii-friendly Excitetruck. I kinda wished they hadn't, but still.

Tig on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tig wrote: »
    Excitebike 64 doesn't get enough credit! :P It was as good a game as 1080 Snowboarding, the control system was tight as hell and felt like pure Nintendo.

I loved tapping Z at the cusp of each ramp to rocket into the air. And popping a risky wheelie in order to ride through a river at full speed was awesome. The game was hardcore as hell though... I can see why they ditched that potential mini-franchise in favour of Wii-friendly Excitetruck. I kinda wished they hadn't, but still.

They probably felt that one extreme racing series was enough.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So, I spent a ton of time playing this off-line yesterday. I am really struggling to get all S ranks. Anyone else finding it difficult?

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn it now I really want to import Excite-bots.

Bantry on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    comic_0211_excitebike.jpg

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Goddamn that's amazing.

The guy CLEARLY breaks the game's speed limit normally enforced by engine overheating and also managed to tilt around in the air without losing speed so I had to look up how it was done.
    http://tasvideos.org/1035S.html
    I figured out some of the programming for this game, which allowed me to discover various tricks to preserve speed.
    First, I found out where your speed is kept in memory, so I could watch my speed while I played. This was very useful, obviously. For example, in level 2, I found out it is just barely worth it to slow down so you can hit the 2nd ramp (about .24 pixels per frame speed is gained).

The most important thing I noticed is that input affecting your speed is only checked every four frames. So, you only have to push B every 4th frame, which prevents engine overheating. When you're in the air, you only need to press Right every 4th frame to maintain your speed.

Now, input affecting the slant of your bike is also only checked once in a while. In the air, it's every 4 frames since you last inputted something changing the slant of your bike. On the ground, it's every 6 frames (or 13 if you're doing a big wheelie). In this run, I tried to keep this slant-timer out of synch with the speed-timer, so that I could slant my bike however I wanted without losing speed. Sometimes when you see me doing a wheelie before going over a ramp, it's to keep the slant-timer and speed-timer out of synch.

Besides simply avoiding speed loss, knowing these input timers also allows for some nice tricks. Left and Right affect your bike's arc while in the air, so I was able to greatly lengthen or shorten my jumps. If you jump too high, you'll wrap around to the bottom of the screen, and then eventually end up back on the track. I use this to my advantage to hit some ramps I wouldn't have been able to hit otherwise (for example, hitting all three ramps on the second lap of tracks 0 and 1).

Fun facts: Your usual max speed is 3.25 pixels per frame. Going over a ramp increases your speed by 1 pixel per frame. If your speed exceeds about 8 pixels per frame, there will be some graphical glitches eventually--this happens a couple times in my run. I get up to 9.25 pixels per frame in the final race.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.