As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'd like to learn more about electronics

pirate-ardvaarkpirate-ardvaark Registered User new member
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been bored and decided I'd like a new hobby. After looking around online and seeing various cool things people have done, I've decided that I'd like to pick up some basic skills in electronics. Understanding schematics on a basic level, and perhaps even learning to program PICs (I work as a computer programmer anyways).

Can anybody suggest some good books and/or websites to start with? Are those "200 in 1 Electronics" kits actually instructional, or are they more meant to amuse little kids with flashing lights and loud beeps?

pirate-ardvaark on

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Everyone learns a bit differently, I like slow books that gradually introduce me into bigger concepts. These books are often pretty big, and a lot of people get turned off when they see a dictionary sized manual for computers or something. I would just head over to Barnes and Noble or Borders or some major book store that has a wide variety and just browse a few books, read a bit here and there and see which one you would rpefer to have. Alternativly, you can find a good magazine. It's sometimes hard to find a good one but you can learn a lot about lots of stuff pretty quick.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    sirSolariussirSolarius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Are you in school? Is there a community college nearby where you can take classes? That is really the best way to go.

If not, pick up a good EE textbook and start reading! When you start circuit analysis, there's a bit of physics involved, but it's only as far as you want to go with it.

This was my intro EE book: linky

I really really liked it. Start with some basic circuit analysis, learn how inductors/capacitors/resistors work and how fun AC current is. There's also a decent section of the book devoted to digital logic.

Once you've got that down, learn how to program in C if you haven't already. That'll prepare you for IC programming.

Finally, get a good book on digital circuits.

You are now ready to tackle almost anything!!

sirSolarius on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    http://amasci.com/amateur/elehob.html

Found this page while trying to figure out how to spell hobbyist. Like any self respecting geek who wanted to learn a thing or two about electrionics at the time I bookmarked it.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.