As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Svevin wrote: »
    Finished the story last night. I hear a lot of complaints about plot holes, but I dunno, I enjoyed it the whole way through. Then again, I also enjoyed Die Hard 4 and lots of people complained about holes in that movie too.

Got a question about the riot shield. What does the grenade button R2 do exactly? The edges of the screen go black, but that's about all I can see happen. It seems like it's putting on a helmet, but that's only a guess on my part. Also, is it possible to shoot a sidearm while holding a riot shield? Or are you limited to being a shield and bashing people?

I think that enables the blast shield,which restricts your view but also protects you from explosion damage.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So which version should I get: PC or 360?

Both are $60...

PC:
    + Better graphics and mouse & keyboard
    - Matchmaking
    - Play with only a handful of friends on Steam

360:
    - Less graphics and only gamepad
    - Matchmaking
    + Play with all my XBL friends

I'm leaning towards 360, and can get achievements. But ever since I built my new PC - I've played COD4 and WAW on there. Just be weird to go back to gamepad (exception being Halo).

Please give me input...

Hawk on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    bejeavis wrote: »
    I know this was stated already... but... thread is moving so fast. But so yeah, I remember reading someone saying that TDM isn't the fastest way to level up in MP. Where's the good stuff at?
    Domination normally helps.

Yeah, the team objective gametypes are the best for leveling up. I can't wait to try out demolition.
    aBlank wrote: »
    I think I'm done with multiplayer. The kill streaks in this game are just stupid and incredibly game swaying. It's like whoever gets a decent kill streak going first is almost guaranteed to win if they actually put effort into winning (for taking HQ's and shit). Shit is fucked up when over half your kills is coming from kill streak bonuses and not like, shooting people.

I can see where you're coming from Blank, but I wouldn't pull the plug just yet as it's still early days.

A lot of people (myself included) have yet to get used to the idea that you can actually shoot down most of the killstreak heavy hitters, without even using a launcher. Give us some time, and I'm confident the PA group will get used to this and start shooting those things down as quickly as they enter.

On top of that, I'm eagerly anticipating getting the Cold Blooded perk, which makes you invisible to the killstreak rewards. Its like the UAV jammer of old, but 10X more useful.

We had a whole slot open for you last night.

Are you sick?

Things okay at home?

I mean, we're all absolutely positive that something is wrong.

Open up to us Kris.

And throwing knives can get fucked. Completely useless and aggravating when I need them the most and absolutely tits when I accidentally throw one thinking it's a grenade and I nail some unsuspecting bastard.

I don't think there's a big problem with the kill streak rewards. They are easily shot down, cold blooded completely negates them, and even then, I've noticed they aren't that big of a game changer. The person calling them in is top of the list, for sure, but all through yesterday and the night before we'd constantly have harriers and shit called in but still be in the lead.

Sheep on
  • SaeadebSaeadeb Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Svevin wrote: »
    Finished the story last night. I hear a lot of complaints about plot holes, but I dunno, I enjoyed it the whole way through. Then again, I also enjoyed Die Hard 4 and lots of people complained about holes in that movie too.

Got a question about the riot shield. What does the grenade button R2 do exactly? The edges of the screen go black, but that's about all I can see happen. It seems like it's putting on a helmet, but that's only a guess on my part. Also, is it possible to shoot a sidearm while holding a riot shield? Or are you limited to being a shield and bashing people?

That doesn't have to do with your riot shield, it is you putting on your blast shield that you have in your equipment slot. put it on and take less damage from explosions. Can't use radar when it's on though.

Saeadeb on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by ~ctraxX
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hah. Load up the bonus museum level and activate the big red alarm button that's on the desk.

Fats on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    McCly wrote: »
    Biosys wrote: »
    Holy balls.

The ending (spoilars):
    It was good, though it didn't have the same shock that CoD4's ending did, and the plot was so full of holes it was incomprehensible.

Some questions (if they're answerable/anyone can be bothered):
    1. Who's Ghost? Is it Gaz, or is it never revealed?
    2. Why the hell does Shephard shoot Roach and Ghost and go all crazy?
    3. Why does Price launch the nuke? It doesn't really accomplish much at all.
    1. probably.
    2. it was his agent that got killed in the airport (that started the war). he was also the head american guy in MW1 whose troops died
    3. i really have no clue. some shit about making a bigger fire figuratively or something.
    3. Really? The EMP blast took out all of the Russian vehicles. ALL of them. Planes, Helos, Tanks, BRTs, Drones. No vehicles on the ground or in the air = no more invasion. Yes, it took out the US ones too, but there weren't many left anyway and they can easily bring in more from nearby states. The Russians have to bring in shit all the way from RUSSIA. So yeah.
    Aren't the effects from an EMP blast completely blown out of proporsion. MW2 being a prime example.

Does it really matter for the purposes of the story?

We see what it does. Therefore it justifies the use. Circle is complete.

BlackDove on
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sheep wrote: »
    I know this was stated already... but... thread is moving so fast. But so yeah, I remember reading someone saying that TDM isn't the fastest way to level up in MP. Where's the good stuff at?

Yeah, the team objective gametypes are the best for leveling up. I can't wait to try out demolition.
    I think I'm done with multiplayer. The kill streaks in this game are just stupid and incredibly game swaying. It's like whoever gets a decent kill streak going first is almost guaranteed to win if they actually put effort into winning (for taking HQ's and shit). Shit is fucked up when over half your kills is coming from kill streak bonuses and not like, shooting people.

I can see where you're coming from Blank, but I wouldn't pull the plug just yet as it's still early days.

A lot of people (myself included) have yet to get used to the idea that you can actually shoot down most of the killstreak heavy hitters, without even using a launcher. Give us some time, and I'm confident the PA group will get used to this and start shooting those things down as quickly as they enter.

On top of that, I'm eagerly anticipating getting the Cold Blooded perk, which makes you invisible to the killstreak rewards. Its like the UAV jammer of old, but 10X more useful.

Are you sick?

Things okay at home?

Open up to us Kris.

And throwing knives can get fucked. Completely useless and aggravating when I need them the most and absolutely tits when I accidentally throw one thinking it's a grenade and I nail some unsuspecting bastard.

I don't think there's a big problem with the kill streak rewards. They are easily shot down, cold blooded completely negates them, and even then, I've noticed they aren't that big of a game changer. The person calling them in is top of the list, for sure, but all through yesterday and the night before we'd constantly have harriers and shit called in but still be in the lead.

He regaled us with his presence in our group.

So nyah! :P

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy balls.

The ending (spoilars):
    It was good, though it didn't have the same shock that CoD4's ending did, and the plot was so full of holes it was incomprehensible.

From what I can gather, I think Shephard wanted the war to continue, and anything that would implicate Makarov in the airport assault and possibly end the war and Shephard's quest to be the modern-day Patton needed to go away. That included the surviving members of Task Force 141.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone had any luck with the PS3 matchmaking yet? If I had known it would be down like this I would've saved single player for today.

Shaggy on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Are you sick?

Things okay at home?

Open up to us Kris.

I was meeting the GF's parents.

I'll be on tonight, I can assure you. Your concern is touching though.

The only problem I have with throwing knives is that you only get one and you have to hold x to pick it up. It should just auto pick up, just like how you can replenish your ammo by walking over weapons.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can I go happy go lucky with friend invites for the people I've been playing with / people on the meta-tag. It's useful in all but damn it's a pain.

joshgotro on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, OP updated with names, I'm really gonna have to get in on some MP fun with you guys, stupid time zones.

How are people finding the Scrambler perk? I've been using it in a couple of matches in conjunction with the Heartbeat Sensor, which seems to work pretty well for giving you the upper hand against enemies.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love it , cant wait to use it with cold blooded.

EspantaPajaro on
    edited November 2009
    If my radar starts going haywire I immediately starting walking backward and find a corner. The transition gives it away.

joshgotro on
  • CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How long playing multiplayer does it take to unlock hardcore mode?

CrewMember169 on
    edited November 2009
    Level 19.

joshgotro on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lvl 20 something

EDIT-Off by 1 then , I don't think I will play hC as much anymore. No party really bums me out.

EspantaPajaro on
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So how are all the 360 players setting up games? just going off the meta-tag list? I ask because I'm waiting to be invited, so in the mean time I'm just playing pub games.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited November 2009
    I guess depends on how good you are at killing people as well.

joshgotro on
    edited November 2009
    joshgotro wrote: »
    If my radar starts going haywire I immediately starting walking backward and find a corner. The transition gives it away.

This.

I have it on my ninja perk but I don't play like the ninja class from CoD4. Most people know that hey, someone is blocking my radar so I'm not about to go turning my back on that open corridor over there.

It comes in handy during firefights though. They can't look at the radar to nail down my position. Even better when at least one person in a group has it.

Sheep on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice knife kill which I'm surprized there isn't some sort of achievement for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14tCmsJk5M

Mr.Sunshine on
  • DasBootDasBoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    BuhamutZeo wrote: »
    McCly wrote: »
    Holy balls.

The ending (spoilars):

1. Who's Ghost? Is it Gaz, or is it never revealed?
    3. Why does Price launch the nuke? It doesn't really accomplish much at all.
    1. probably.
    2. it was his agent that got killed in the airport (that started the war). he was also the head american guy in MW1 whose troops died
    3. i really have no clue. some shit about making a bigger fire figuratively or something.
    3. Really? The EMP blast took out all of the Russian vehicles. ALL of them. Planes, Helos, Tanks, BRTs, Drones. No vehicles on the ground or in the air = no more invasion. Yes, it took out the US ones too, but there weren't many left anyway and they can easily bring in more from nearby states. The Russians have to bring in shit all the way from RUSSIA. So yeah.
    Aren't the effects from an EMP blast completely blown out of proporsion. MW2 being a prime example.

Does it really matter for the purposes of the story?

We see what it does. Therefore it justifies the use. Circle is complete.
    I still don't know if Price's logic on nuking DC makes any sense. Did I miss something where he told the US this was going to happen, because if I remember correctly he deliberately did it without telling anyone about it, and I imagine if a ICBM from a Russian sub went off over Washington the result would be massive nuclear war.

DasBoot on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My Little Game Blog - http://profundospielen.blogspot.com/
    edited November 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    So how are all the 360 players setting up games? just going off the meta-tag list? I ask because I'm waiting to be invited, so in the mean time I'm just playing pub games.

Send game invites to people that are playing on the list. Once we have room and are out of our current game, we'll invite you into the group.

I'm gonna try and organize a private match sometime this week full of PA people just so we can lark about and try shit out. That and learn the fucking maps.

Scrambler is less stealth as much as it is assault IMO. It's great for the front line guys because as Sheep said, they cannot pin down your location just going off the map. I'm seriously considering putting it into my Tank build (Riot shield, Ho!)

Kris_xK on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I sent a couple of invites last night, but I'll send a few more next time I hop on.

Also, I have to try a different gun besides the M4A1, but the Heartbeat Sensor + Tactical Insertion is just too much fun.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scrambler is also great for multi-level houses and shit. I have no idea what map it is since I haven't learned all the names, but there's one where there's like a 2 story house in the middle that's central to a lot of action and you can pretty much disable radar for your opponents team if they go anywhere near it... and there's plenty of hiding spots for shit.

aBlank on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    katheriner wrote: »
    Twinning with bling for a silencer and sensor is fun. I like this idea.

It's my recon kit of choice. Makes for good sniper hunting, though I've been tempted to ditch the HBS for Thermal lately seeing as how well it works with the Vector.

Also, holy fuck, I had no idea the knives ricocheted. That's fucking sweet.

Mechanical on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I should play less.

ieoBz.png

No, wait, the other thing. More.

So, my findings so far are that:

1) The M16 is civilisation.
    2) An underslung grenade launcher plus the Scavenger perk makes everyone on the server hate you. But infinite noob tube grenades is worth the hate.
    3) A thermal scope and fore grip on an LMG turns it into a death ray.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is your steam name? And do you play hardcore?

Hoz on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Insanity wrote: »
    3) A thermal scope and fore grip on an LMG turns it into a death ray.

4) If it ain't an MG4, it ain't shit.

Mechanical on
    edited November 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l14tCmsJk5M

The crosshair wasn't even on the guy...
    Send game invites to people that are playing on the list. Once we have room and are out of our current game, we'll invite you into the group.

Except for last night when I sent out invites for an invite and instead 11 people join my party.

But hey, I'm popular...

EDIT

Does the therman see through walls?

And I may have missed the response earlier, and I doubt it has been discovered, but does anyone know the reward for 10 prestige?

Sheep on
    edited November 2009
    Hoz wrote: »

My Profile

Mostly I've been playing Demolition and Ground War, the weapon balance seems a bit skewed in hardcore. It's nice to get all the crap off your screen though.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Which is the perk that prevents red text from popping up over you when an enemy puts his crosshairs on you? Can it combine with bling and cold blooded? Because that, invisible to killstreaks, and silenced scar with heartbeat would be the best thing ever

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • ArgonomicArgonomic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm scared to pick up the PC version. If there are already hackers what will stop them? It used to be you could just play on a well moderated server. Now you just take it in the ass?

It works like Blizzard anti hack. For Warcraft3, WoW etc. Blizzard downloads the hacks and examines them, then makes the game capable of detecting them. Then they let enough time pass for the easily tempted to download and use the hacks, record everybody that does it, and then ban them all in one fell swoop.

A frequent complaint of hackers is "if you knew I was hacking, why can't you just make the game not work until I stop hacking?". The reason is that it makes it a lot harder on the hackers if they don't know whether or not their hack is being detected.

If you encounter a hacker I would just reconnect to the playlist. There are enough going that you won't get matched into the same game. Once the bannings start people are going to get really tired of blowing ~$60 every time they want to cheat for awhile.

The disadvantage of this system is the latency inherent in the banning waves. The advantage is that only the actual cheaters get banned.

Argonomic on
    edited November 2009
    Which is the perk that prevents red text from popping up over you when an enemy puts his crosshairs on you?

Cold Blooded Pro =)

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
    edited November 2009
    I havent seen any sources for what prestiging gets you. It better be fucking good, and it better involve giving us more custom class slots.

If Bowling's idea of "great rewards" are more fucking titles and embalms, I'm going to freak out.

Kris_xK on
    edited November 2009
    Complete Intel List

Found this on a quick check to GameFAQs, I can see about adding it to the OP for convenience if people want.

As for Prestige awards, has anyone actually reached Level 70 yet? I mean, I know people work fast, but still.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Which is the perk that prevents red text from popping up over you when an enemy puts his crosshairs on you?

Cold Blooded Pro =)

Sweeeeeeet

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

ka-nife[url][/url]

The crosshair wasn't even on the guy...

Look closer, the knife bounces off the wall and tags the guy

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoz wrote: »

My Profile

Mostly I've been playing Demolition and Ground War, the weapon balance seems a bit skewed in hardcore. It's nice to get all the crap off your screen though.
    What do you mean skewed?

Everything kills you with one to two bullets, that's ultimate balance. The differences being in damage at distance and penetration.

Hoz on
  • ArgonomicArgonomic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    The idea that somehow IW alone could keep on top of all the hacks and cheaters that will appear in what is likely going to be the most bought game this year is laughable.

Blizzard has done a great job of addressing this problem in their RTS games. On rare occasion you run into map hackers, and they are periodically banned. There is nothing special about RTS vs FPS that makes this solvable in one and not the other, right?

Argonomic on